Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Free agency of 2017 - analysis for every team (in six separate posts)

Default Re: Free agency of 2017 - analysis for every team (in six separate posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.
    Just ask the Spurs. They heisted us by getting Kwahi. Not to mention Bertans as a throw in.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Free agency of 2017 - analysis for every team (in six separate posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Just ask the Spurs. They heisted us by getting Kwahi. Not to mention Bertans as a throw in.
    The FO isn't what made that trade a heist. Chip Engelland, a shooting coach, is what made that trade a heist.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nt-fire-hazard
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    The FO isn't what made that trade a heist. Chip Engelland, a shooting coach, is what made that trade a heist.

Thank you!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh...you're one of those.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Well we have our own shooting coach. Larry Bird. One of the best of all time.

Sports Logo

I'm going to put this here and bump a PetPaima post did a good job of running through out Salary Cap #s.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    INDIANA PACERS :

We will enter the free agency at above the salary cap and unable to make any offers as :

1) We have $57,925,047 of guaranteed contracts for next season. That sum includes PG13, Thad, Monta, AlJeff, Myles and 50,000 bucks for Xmas.
    2) We have $16,572,675 bound in optional contracts of Stuckey, CJ & Lavoy
    3) We have $6,022,065 bound in non-guaranteed contracts of Seraphin, JoeYoung, GRIII and Niang + the non-guaranteed mil of Xmas
    4) We have $18,330,000 bound on cap holds of Teague & Brooks
    5) We have rookie cap holds

So altogether we will start around 101 mil before starting to ”drop” guys. Cap is likeliest to be about 98 mil.

Step 1) renounce Brooks – opens up 5,130,000. 2 million under the cap
    Step 2) CJ picks his option, becomes a cap hold. Add 4,125,105. Back over the cap.
    Step 3) Stuckey does not pick his option. Monetarily you stay where you were.

Step 4) Re-sign Teague & CJ with the Bird Rights. Pay an approximate 30 mil for that duo. End up very close to a luxury tax threshold (but probably below) with the draft pick as the only new asset.

Alternative step 4) Renounce CJ's rights, do NOT pick Lavoy's option, waive 2 non-guaranteed contracts (Seraphin/JoeYoung). End up roughly 14 mil under the cap. Make a pitch for some 2nd tier free agent (or two). Afterwards sign Teague with Bird rights, end up with something like presented below. Avoid luxury tax too... :

PG : Teague, Monta
    SG : 1st-round pick, GRIII, Stuckey
    SF : PG13, 2nd-round pick
    PF : Thad, Jerebko, Xmas
    C : Myles, Pachulia, AlJeff

Alternative step 4, version 2) Like above, but also renounce Teague... Get room for 1 x max. Contract under the salary cap. Swing for the fences for difference-maker and fill the rest with minimum contracts + (no-longer-so-useful) MLE.

Salary dump candidates : If our FO wants to simultaneously retain Teague AND add even a single top-level player, we need to do some salary dumping. Monta, AlJeff and Stuckey will be hard to move for salary relief (yes, you can always move players but not so easily when you don't want to take any salary back). Thad might be little easier to move, but would also leave a sizable frontcourt hole.

Worth mentioning : It is a bold move and I doubt our current GM would be able to eat his pride in order to do so, but AlJeff is a nice stretch candidate. If we use stretch provision on him, we only would need to pay his remaining GUARANTEED salary of $13,769,821 to pay over 5 seasons! That would save us 7 million next season and enable us to be semi-serious free agent hunter while still keep Teague!
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245541/NBA-Projecting-$101M-Salary-Cap-For-17-18-Season

The NBA has sent a memo to all 30 teams projecting a salary cap of $101 million for the 17-18 season, which is significantly less than initially projected. The most recent cap projection was $103 million and at one time was projected to hit $108 million.

The cap for the current season is at $94.1 million
    I will trust that one of the Salary Cap gurus will be able to project and re-run the #s based off of the likely $101 mil Salary cap for next season while removing Stuckey and adding Lance to the equation.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Tobias Harris has been our best player from start to finish this season. Fans would be pissed if they let him go for cheap. Reggie? Not so much.

KCP, who I never liked, has gone into the tank since the all star break, figuratively and literally with a DUI (at 2am with his expecting wife at home). I sincerely hope his horrible awful terrible pitiful play the last few months has finally convinced SVG to let him walk. He's a a thoroughly unskilled mediocre shooter who's best skill is his tireless motor that he doesn't have the awareness to fully utilize.

In short, **** him and his $100 million demands. I would not take him back for the QO because we'd again be forced to burn starters' minutes on a guy that can't play instead of developing someone with better upside.

He left the hospital shortly after the birth of his kid the other night to make it to the palace just before halftime and what was a 20-point lead dissipated into a loss that ended fittingly on KCP tossing up an airball with the game on the line.

In short, **** KCP and hopefully good riddance.

Bullock is a decent player and I'd be more than willing to take him back.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo

I doubt he passes up an opportunity to play at home in front of friends and family for an opportunity to join his college coach. I think for players in most cases? Playing at home gives them a good balance in a tough 82 game season. Because you can visit family and stuff. Stevens has a job to do so you're not gonna have his shoulder to cry on in those those tough moments of the 82 game grind. Look how important going home was for Lebron.
    These guys do not live in a vacuum, he is currently playing with a guy who we told was a big part of our plans and then dumped him to Utah. We also dumped Brad Miller to stay under the tax and what did we get in return? A broken down joke machine but it kept us just under the LT!

He is not coming here. The Pacers have shown that there is no loyalty to their players and more importantly that they will NOT go into the LT to win it all.
    Last edited by Ragnar; 04-07-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Is not PetPaima's evaluation of the Pacers cap off since Stuckey was cut and freeing up his salary and signing Lance?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacers 2017 Salary Cap Situation: (in $M)
    19.3 Paul George
    12.921 Thad Young
    11.227 Monta Ellis
    9.769 Al Jeff
    4.773 CJ Miles (Player Option)* Not sure what happens if(when?) CJ declines PO
    12.000 Jeff Teague (Cap Hold)
    4.180 Lance Stephenson
    3.5 LaVoy Allen (Team Option)
    4.030 Aaron Brooks (Cap Hold)
    2.483 Myles Turner
    1.881 Kevin Seraphin
    1.098 Rakeem Christmas
    1.098 Joe Young (Team Option)
    1.091 GRIII (Team Option)
    .905 Georges Niang
    1.600 Cap Hold for 16th pick

$91.856M in cap holds/contracts/etc
    Assuming they renounce LaVoy, Aaron Brooks and Joe Young you're looking at more like $83.228M
    Wojo claims in a tweet from last night $101M/$121M as cap/tax thresholds for 2017-18.
    So, in the range of $18-19M in cap space, with an additional $18 in tax room (assuming that they will exceed cap, but not tax threshold to retain Teague and Miles). Any move for a max level player would require trading Monta's expiring deal (due to the provision uncovered by Zach Lowe regarding cutting before 4/1 of next season nullifying PO for following season) and/or Al Jefferson's similarly expiring deal (due to TO after 2017/18). Either or both would likely require trading the Pacers draft pick to grease the wheels.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew46229 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    These guys do not live in a vacuum, he is currently playing with a guy who we told was a big part of our plans and then dumped him to Utah. We also dumped Brad Miller to stay under the tax and what did we get in return? A broken down joke machine but it kept us just under the LT!

He is not coming here. The Pacers have shown that there is no loyalty to their players and more importantly that they will NOT go into the LT to win it all.
    IS Simon still under that terrible ABA NBA payout ruling. I think that was probably the biggest reason that they never went into the LT to keep BM and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Tobias Harris has been our best player from start to finish this season. Fans would be pissed if they let him go for cheap. Reggie? Not so much.

KCP, who I never liked, has gone into the tank since the all star break, figuratively and literally with a DUI (at 2am with his expecting wife at home). I sincerely hope his horrible awful terrible pitiful play the last few months has finally convinced SVG to let him walk. He's a a thoroughly unskilled mediocre shooter who's best skill is his tireless motor that he doesn't have the awareness to fully utilize.

In short, **** him and his $100 million demands. I would not take him back for the QO because we'd again be forced to burn starters' minutes on a guy that can't play instead of developing someone with better upside.

He left the hospital shortly after the birth of his kid the other night to make it to the palace just before halftime and what was a 20-point lead dissipated into a loss that ended fittingly on KCP tossing up an airball with the game on the line.

In short, **** KCP and hopefully good riddance.

Bullock is a decent player and I'd be more than willing to take him back.
    Yea KCP screams he was playing for a contract in the beginning of the season, and you know some team (Nets) are gonna offer him the max. Hopefully SVG doesn't bite. Sucks though Drummond has stagnated, seems like he should embrace being more Tyson Chandler/DeAndre Jordan role than trying to post him up.

Drummond actually has pretty good numbers posting up near the rim. What kills his percentages are his stupid jump hooks from way outside the paint.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Here's what I think we will do:

1) resign Teague
    2) extend PG
    3) move LS to the starting lineup
    4) move ME to 6th man
    5) watch CJM price himself out of our price range and leave
    6) sign new perimeter shooter

Unlikely moves:
    1) stretch Al
    2) bring a new starting center, moving TY to the 2nd unit

JT/LS/PG/TY/MT
    ME/new shooter/GR3/KS

Not exciting, but the most likely outcome IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

We could also approach a team with a shooting guard already signed and trade with them. Orlando has Terrence Ross, Evan Fournier, and Mario Hezonja. Now things get interesting because Orlando right now their draft position puts them at Malik Monk. If they draft him they might be willing to move Evan or Terrence.

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Oh...you're one of those.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Here's what I think we will do:

1) resign Teague
    2) extend PG
    3) move LS to the starting lineup
    4) move ME to 6th man
    5) watch CJM price himself out of our price range and leave
    6) sign new perimeter shooter

Unlikely moves:
    1) stretch Al
    2) bring a new starting center, moving TY to the 2nd unit

JT/LS/PG/TY/MT
    ME/new shooter/GR3/KS

Not exciting, but the most likely outcome IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lance should stay where he is. Sixth man, playing around 25- 30 mpg.

Ideally we should move Ellis, but if we can't move him, I would rather start him and play him around 20 mpg.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Would any of you guys be happy if Larry went after Kelly Olynyk? I imagine he'd fit at the backup 5.

Would any of you guys be happy if Larry went after Kelly Olynyk? I imagine he'd fit at the backup 5.
    I would prefer to have a rim protector as the backup 5. Olynyk doesn't do that...but he is a nice player off the bench.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Mood

I've been very happy with Seraphin lately. He's got the body and the athleticism we need. If he can continue to get there in time and take the sort of charge that laid Bismack out, then I don't know what more I'd ask. Grab some rebounds Kevin, and keep bringin the hammer!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    I would prefer to have a rim protector as the backup 5. Olynyk doesn't do that...but he is a nice player off the bench.
    If Boston re-signs him plus, that pick they get.... they will be priced out of the Hayward sweepstakes.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

If Boston re-signs him plus, that pick they get.... they will be priced out of the Hayward sweepstakes.
    For the record.. you've been wrong everytime you've stated that

It looks to me like we will have $20-25 million to spend on a free agent. If we have a shot at a Gordon Hayward (I don't think we do), we can probably figure out how to pay , but basically it looks to me like we will have $20-25 million.

What "star" or near "star" player can we get for that?