Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Youngs future

Default Joe Youngs future

Does Joe Young have a future with the Pacers? Has he showed any promise this season to justify keeping him around to develop as a back up point? What limits him from getting minutes this year?
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Joe Youngs future

I don't think so.

I think the best chance for Joe Young to stay in the NBA is to become a small scoring 2 guard off the bench, in the mold of a Lou Williams. I don't see the Pacers trying him in that role.

No.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He will have a good career for himself in Europe.
    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Change is neither good or bad, it simply is.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Yet another young player that the forum got too high on too soon. He may still have an nba future as a backup pg at some point but he should have been on the Ants roster all year.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

I have no idea. I guess it depends on Summer league?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet another young player that the forum got too high on too soon. He may still have an nba future as a backup pg at some point but he should have been on the Ants roster all year.
    People were high on Joe Young?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Does Joe Young have a future with the Pacers? Has he showed any promise this season to justify keeping him around to develop as a back up point? What limits him from getting minutes this year?
    Too many guards in front of him that can run an offense much better right now. With X-Mas having a positive showing as of late, Joe's future here will last as long as we don't sign another player before the offseason. I don't see anything in Niang, but I figure Larry gives him the customary 2 years that everyone else got.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    People were high on Joe Young?
    Those same people were high.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know how this is going to sound, but hear me out. I honestly think that Joe Young's future with the Pacers should (in part) hinge on how strong a bond he and PG have since discovering they were related. Especially since he's taken it upon himself to invite him into his Gatorade commercials, etc. Obviously, those of us outside the locker room and organization cannot fully gauge that.

Yeah, I know how it sounds. I do. But just consider that the front office has traded away Paul's mentor/big brother (Danny), his best friend on the team (GHill), and fired a coach he stated these things about:

"My guy til the wheels crack!!!" (following a tough playoff out)
    and
    "To one of the most influential men in my life! Our relationship and love doesn't end here" (following his "firing")

(These quotes via instagram posts)

All this to say --- I honestly think that the Pacers need to do everything they can right now to make Paul feel valued on a personal level. Now many of you disagree, and think that players are being babied these days, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. But it doesn't change the fact that it's a reality of how things are with top tier athletes right now.

All this to say: If Paul has a strong personal bond with Joe, I would prefer that we keep Joe around in that 14th/15th man role unless a scenario comes up where we have no alternative but to move him for the spot.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    All this to say --- I honestly think that the Pacers need to do everything they can right now to make Paul feel valued on a personal level. Now many of you disagree, and think that players are being babied these days, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. But it doesn't change the fact that it's a reality of how things are with top tier athletes right now.

All this to say: If Paul has a strong personal bond with Joe, I would prefer that we keep Joe around in that 14th/15th man role unless a scenario comes up where we have no alternative but to move him for the spot.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    I get what you're saying here, but didn't Paul also say he thought the Pacers could upgrade some spots? This isn't getting rid of Danny or Frank. It's Joe Young. With that being said, I think you respect Paul by only moving Joe if there's a definite need/upgrade.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    I get what you're saying here, but didn't Paul also say he thought the Pacers could upgrade some spots? This isn't getting rid of Danny or Frank. It's Joe Young. With that being said, I think you respect Paul by only moving Joe if there's a definite need/upgrade.
    Yeah, I agree. Not comparable even remotely on a basketball level. But they did discover they were related. That's my sole point.

If Bird keeps Young around because of his relationship with PG, then we were done from the start.

And i think that's actually the case.

Youngs future overseas hinges on how many more commercials he can get into with PG.

Sports Logo

To me, it's inconclusive.

Young is kind of in the middle for me as a player. He's neither terrible or outstandingly good. However, he has not been given enough consistent minutes to really determine what type of player he is. Personally, I have liked what I've seen of Joe when he does play. I know I rather have him over Aaron Brooks any day of the week.

His best chance at getting a real NBA career is to leave the Pacers.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

I think he needs to be in the rotation for a chance to prove him self. He plays spot minutes, hard to get a rhythm like that

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    To me, it's inconclusive.

Young is kind of in the middle for me as a player. He's neither terrible or outstandingly good. However, he has not been given enough consistent minutes to really determine what type of player he is. Personally, I have liked what I've seen of Joe when he does play. I know I rather have him over Aaron Brooks any day of the week.

His best chance at getting a real NBA career is to leave the Pacers.
    Agreed - my evaluation however is through the lens of a fan who desperately wants PG to remain a Pacer.

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    I think he needs to be in the rotation for a chance to prove him self. He plays spot minutes, hard to get a rhythm like that
    I'd cut Brooks WAY before cutting Joe, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    If Bird keeps Young around because of his relationship with PG, then we were done from the start.

And i think that's actually the case.

Youngs future overseas hinges on how many more commercials he can get into with PG.
    I don't think it's the ONLY reason Joe has stuck around, but like I said - we don't know the behind the scenes locker room / personal chemistry dynamic.

All I am saying is that *IF* those two are as close as it seems, I think Larry would be making (another) massive blunder to cast him (Joe) aside.

I really have no idea why they haven't cut him yet, I rather have Sloan in his place.

Hell I rather get Teague's brother instead.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Joe isn't a young player at this point. Same age as Kyrie Irving. I think he may well be done in the NBA because there are a ton of players flowing into the league that will get their chance. Joe has had his chance and he's just not cutting it.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Joe Young might be a very poor mans Monta Ellis or Rodney Stuckey so Joe gets 0 minutes. I don't think his chance is ever with the Pacers unless both those guys are gone and even then he hasn't shown anything much.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Undefeated

He seems like the type of pacers backup that will end up playing 25 minutes a night and averaging 12 points and 4 assists when he leaves.
    Danger Zone

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

At this point last year, GR3 and Xmas look like wastes of space too. Now, Medium Dog is in the rotation and a spot starter, while Xmas is fighting his way into the big man mix. Experience matters.

Joe won't be a world beater, but he can still be a good pro. As a 2nd round pick, I don't know if expectations should be much higher than that.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

I thought the writing was on the wall for Joe once the team signed Brooks.

I think he has the scoring instinct to be a good scorer off the bench for another team, he just needs the opportunity and experience.

He probably couldn't have gotten drafted by a worse team in terms of utilization of his skill set. How many undersized, off the bench scorers have come to the Pacers to die now?
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 03-13-2017 at 08:53 AM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

The only way Joe Young has any kind of future in the NBA is if he turns into an excellent 3 point shooter. Every team could use more three point shooting - Other than that I don't see much else

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The only way Joe Young has any kind of future in the NBA is if he turns into an excellent 3 point shooter. Every team could use more three point shooting - Other than that I don't see much else
    He's problem is he has a SG game in a PG body. Joe is a decent shooter, just not a good ball handler.

His defense is just way too bad to have any future. Even if he developed as a 3pt shooter he would have to drastically improve his defense.