Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 3/08/17 Game Thread #64: Pacers vs. Pistons

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 3/08/17 Game Thread #64: Pacers vs. Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think Ibaka, Millsap, or Aldridge are soft players, but what does Thad do that's softer than them? Those guys are just better than Thad and get paid like it.
    First off, "soft" is clearly a pretty subjective term. I use it in the sense that guys shy away from contact and don't go up strong all the time or don't seem to play with an edge I associate with toughness and aggression. Thad will be driving toward the hoop and have a defender right in front of him, and instead of banging into the guy and earning a trip to the line, he will toss up a floater over them or contort his body and try to scoop it in.

I don't think Ibaka, Millsap, or Aldridge are soft players, but what does Thad do that's softer than them? Those guys are just better than Thad and get paid like it.
    Specific to Aldridge/Thad, Thad dunks less than LMA so he's obviously softer. I hear that's a measuring stick.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    First off, "soft" is clearly a pretty subjective term. I use it in the sense that guys shy away from contact and don't go up strong all the time or don't seem to play with an edge I associate with toughness and aggression. Thad will be driving toward the hoop and have a defender right in front of him, and instead of banging into the guy and earning a trip to the line, he will toss up a floater over them or contort his body and try to scoop it in.
    Eh, We use it the same way. I think this is a classic case of watching your own teams player because Aldridge avoids contact all the time. I've seen Thad ferociously yam on people this season. It's not that he can't or goes away from it, he's just doesn't get many opportunities to. Not really what we have him doing. He's been mostly clean up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thad isn't dunking on anyone with any type of regularity.

Catching and finishing off an assist is different than going up strong and dunking through contact

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Thad isn't dunking on anyone with any type of regularity.

Catching and finishing off an assist is different than going up strong and dunking through contact
    I mean, I would love if every PF wasBlake Griffin. Thad can still dunk in traffic, but we don't dump the ball to Thad in the paint to take someone to the cup. He mostly cleans up and gets it around perimeter.

I think it's just a silly thing. Dunking on people is the soft gauge? He's not soft. He's a physical defender and could be more of a physical scorer if we need that, but it's not our best option.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Draymond, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Paul Millsap, Aldridge, Favors, Serge, I mean there are a lot of them.
    Blake is considered soft by many, same with Aldridge, sure Favors/Davis are not soft but they also get injured a lot making them kind of soft?, yes on Green/Milsap/Ibaka.

Edit: I mean Blake is so soft he got shut down by a so called soft guy in Thad twice this year, he couldn't move him for ****.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

I mean, I would love if every PF wasBlake Griffin. Thad can still dunk in traffic, but we don't dump the ball to Thad in the paint to take someone to the cup. He mostly cleans up and gets it around perimeter.

I think it's just a silly thing. Dunking on people is the soft gauge? He's not soft. He's a physical defender and could be more of a physical scorer if we need that, but it's not our best option.
    Just to throw this out there, dunking on someone doesn't mean squat to me in terms of whether or not they're soft.

Thad is soft because he shies away from contact on both offense and defense. He's active sure, but his effectiveness becomes rather moot the second someone puts a body on him.

Also Blake has lost the majority of his athleticism. He is not dunking on cats the way he used to anymore lol. I don't think he's soft, but I can see why some would. He's not nearly as physical as he used to be

This is what I mean by soft being a subjective term. Everybody has their own definition and parameters. Can't really define it, but know it when I see it and the way Thad plays is, to me, soft.