Thread: Karl-Anthony Towns father reportedly considering suing Timberwolves over injury from mascot

Default Karl-Anthony Towns father reportedly considering suing Timberwolves over injury from mascot

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/03/03/...y-from-mascot/

Karl-Anthony Towns father reportedly considering suing Timberwolves over injury from mascot

Sometimes, fans courtside get hurt at an NBA game. Just usually not by the mascot.

But that happened at a Jan. 26 Timberwolves game — to Karl-Anthony Towns‘ father.

And he is considering suing the team over it, according to Michael McCann of Sports Illustrated.

Towns Sr., who is a retired high school basketball coach, was injured during a timeout with 5:53 to go in the second quarter. The Timberwolves’ prophetically named mascot, Crunch, appeared to lose balance towards the end of a high-speed sledding stunt and hit an empty front row seat next to the aisle. That seat, in turn, crashed into the right knee of Towns Sr., who was sitting next to the empty seat. The elder Towns is now exploring potential legal options, including the possibility of suing his son’s team for negligence….

Towns Sr. suffered considerable pain and was given an ice pack to reduce swelling. The Crossover has learned that while arena attendants encouraged Towns Sr. to leave the game and seek care at a local hospital, he refused to do so. Towns Sr. believed that his son—the NBA’s Rookie of the Year in 2016—would notice his father’s absence. In turn, Towns Sr. reasoned, Towns Jr. might worry about his father’s health and not play as well. Towns Sr. stuck around for the rest of the game, but by the end, his knee had begun to swell considerably and he couldn’t put any weight on it. Arena attendants provided Towns Sr. with crutches. He hobbled out of the arena and was taken to a local hospital for an MRI.

A few teams do this same stunt.

Towns Sr. was seen All-Star weekend in New Orleans, reportedly on crutches.

I would imagine something gets worked out here, the last thing the franchise wants is to do something that might anger their new, young, franchise cornerstone player.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Karl-Anthony Towns father reportedly considering suing Timberwolves over injury from mascot

Timberwolves’ prophetically named mascot, Crunch
    Crunch

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Karl-Anthony Towns father reportedly considering suing Timberwolves over injury from mascot

Is it possible to have a different section for 'news' like this? Or mods who point out to users that there are topics wich can be used to post things like this into?
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Doesn't the legal wording somewhere on the back of the ticket--or on their website if physical tickets no longer exist--that absolves a team from lawsuits like this? The mascot is doing a stunt that is going to end near you--go ahead and ignore what is going on around you, but be sure to get mad when you get hurt from not paying attention to anything other than what is going on in your bubble.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

I am not sure that absolves the team from liability.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

8. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not sure that absolves the team from liability.
    There is a defense of assumption of risk. I'm not sure as well. It seems like you should be able to expect the mascot to stay away from the seats.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Doesn't the legal wording somewhere on the back of the ticket--or on their website if physical tickets no longer exist--that absolves a team from lawsuits like this? The mascot is doing a stunt that is going to end near you--go ahead and ignore what is going on around you, but be sure to get mad when you get hurt from not paying attention to anything other than what is going on in your bubble.
    Not since that child was killed at an NHL game by a hockey puck that was slapped off the ice. That was a game changer on how those disclaimers on the back of tickets were looked at. Anyway, any attorney worth his bar can poke holes in cover all type disclaimers and signs.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To me this seems like normal risk of leaving your house.

Sports Logo

Crunch needs to get Boomer's lawyer

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

He may be shooting himself in the foot if he sues. Being viewed by teams as litigious is a possibility that might hurt his son.

I recall someone in my former place of employment sued the employer. She went to work for another employer and sued them as well. She became known by a number of other people as a problem.

People with money at stake are sensitive to this kind of thing and the result could easily be less opportunity/money for his son...far more than he would ever get for getting hit by a chair. His best plan to maximize family income may just be to ice the knee and shut the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Doesn't the legal wording somewhere on the back of the ticket--or on their website if physical tickets no longer exist--that absolves a team from lawsuits like this?
    That is on there to dissuade someone from even looking into the possibility of legal action for something. "I was gonna sue them but it says right there on the ticket I can't... so... darn!"

But the reality is far different. That disclaimer is all but worthless.

Any lawyer with a K Mart law license would get past that in the first 10 minutes. I'm just surprised we're even hearing about it because I'd think the team would be pretty open to writing a decent sized check, no lawsuit required, and with the family connections I wouldn't think anyone would be shooting for max damages (or try to weasel out of their responsibility or shoot for the absolute minimum).

But hey, if a mascot fell on me and injured my knee I wouldn't be happy with ice and some crutches myself. If the mascot doing an act injures someone besides himself then it sounds like a pretty clear case of negligence to me.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Is Crunch going to be demoted from Captain? First Lieutenant Crunch just doesn't have the same ring to it.