Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Yahoo] Kevin Durant's injury could have a $212 million ramification for Paul George and the Pacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default [Yahoo] Kevin Durant's injury could have a $212 million ramification for Paul George and the Pacers

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kevin-...192928977.html

The Golden State Warriors announced on Wednesday that Kevin Durant is out for at least four weeks with a Grade 2 MCL sprain and bone bruise.

While the injury may put the Warriors' depth to test and make their hold on the No. 1 seed a little tougher, the injury could have huge ramifications on an unsuspecting team, the Indiana Pacers.

If Durant doesn't play the rest of the regular season, he'll have played 59 (very good) games with the Warriors this season. Durant has averaged 25 points, eight rebounds, and five assists per game while shooting 53% from the floor and 38% from three. He's also put together one of the best defensive seasons of his career.

That should be enough to earn him an All-NBA spot, but if it doesn't, it may open the door for Pacers star forward Paul George. That spot opening up could be critical to the Pacers' future.

This summer, the Pacers may have a chance to offer George the "Designated Player Extension" (or DPE), a new CBA rule that allows teams to offer gigantic extensions worth 35% of the cap (the maximum possible) to star players in the first year of the deal. The extension for George would be worth about $212 million over six years, according to Nat Newell of the Indy Star.

To earn the extension, players have to be named to an All-NBA team, MVP, or Defensive Player of the Year the year before. This is where George is on shaky ground. To date, Durant, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kawhi Leonard, and Jimmy Butler have all had better seasons than George. With two forward spots on each of the three All-NBA teams, George would be out of the running and, thus, wouldn't qualify for the DPE.

However, if voters decide Durant hasn't played enough games to earn an All-NBA spot, and if George were to finish the season on a hot streak, that could change things. Of course, George would have competition from other players, such as Utah's Gordon Hayward, but being eligible for the DPE could be a huge leg-up for the Pacers.

Near the trade deadline last Thursday, USA Today's Sam Amick reported that George is "determined" to join the Los Angeles Lakers (his hometown team) as a free agent in 2018 if the Pacers aren't competing for a championship. While it seems unlikely the Pacers could make such a leap in a year, being able to offer George such a massive extension could entice George to stay, especially when a deal with the Lakers would be for significantly less.

Knowing what could be on the line doesn't make voting much easier for media members with votes, as ESPN's Zach Lowe noted:

This is an icky subplot that matters for the Pacers. Voting All-NBA just feels weird now. https://t.co/7nnaqRRcKT
    &mdash" target="_blank">https://t.co/7nnaqRRcKT">https://t.co/7nnaqRRcKT— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) March" target="_blank">https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/836958035037859840">March 1, 2017

This is a flaw in the DPE rules — it's still reliant on media members. While voting results haven't often been controversial, players' earnings and potentially teams' futures, could hinge on these votes.

It will be an interesting race to watch down the stretch of the season. It may not matter if voters feel Durant has done enough in two-thirds of the season to lock down a spot. But if George has a strong finish and helps the Pacers earn a playoff spot, the voting could get tighter. And for the Pacers, there could be a lot riding on this finish.
    2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS & 2010 AFC CHAMPIONS

1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, & 1987 NCAA CHAMPIONS & 2002 NCAA FINALISTS
    1970, 1972, & 1973 ABA CHAMPIONS & 2000 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

Default Re: [Yahoo] Kevin Durant's injury could have a $212 million ramification for Paul George and the Pacers

Not a concern if he keeps playing the way he has been lately.

Sports Logo

Default Re: [Yahoo] Kevin Durant's injury could have a $212 million ramification for Paul George and the Pacers

Durant will still get it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a concern if he keeps playing the way he has been lately.
    You guys said that about him making the all-star team too.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

Mood

If PG has any drive, you'd think he'd show it now. Sure KD is likely to hold onto that spot, but if PG catches fire and voters start looking at KD like "he didn't play a full season, AND, he's obviously not carrying the load that PG is because Golden State is stacked," it might get interesting. He's always seemed to like Indy just fine, I still don't buy the whole "determined to go to LAL" bit, and $212 million is definitely enough incentive for just about anybody to give a little extra effort, right?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    You guys said that about him making the all-star team too.
    I think he mostly got in on previous reputation and lack of good wings in the Eastern Conference...more so the latter.
    Last edited by Dr. Awesome; 03-02-2017 at 05:15 PM.

2016: 23pts 7rebs 4assists on 42fg% and 37 3pt%. PG is amazing and look at all these awards he's raking in
    2017: 22pts 6rebs 3assists on 44fg% and 38 3pt%. PG doesn't give effort and backs his way into awards.

I continue to be educated on the differences between being celebrated and being criticized.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

2016: 23pts 7rebs 4assists on 42fg% and 37 3pt%. PG is amazing and look at all these awards he's raking in
    2017: 22pts 6rebs 3assists on 44fg% and 38 3pt%. PG doesn't give effort and backs his way into awards.

I continue to be educated on the differences between being celebrated and being criticized.
    His name is Giannis

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I criticized him a fair amount last year as well for taking games off. Its not about the numbers he is putting up though, yes, they are good numbers, but he is capable of much more. Not to mention, he has been regressing defensively each year for the last 3..which is all effort.

I think what it really comes down to, is that I just think Paul George is a better player than you do. You think these are good stats for him and I think he is capable of doing more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Draymond and Aldridge aren't having the same seasons they did last year. And if KD misses it, PG is almost certainly a lock.

Draymond and Aldridge aren't having the same seasons they did last year. And if KD misses it, PG is almost certainly a lock.
    Not sure about that, PG is worst performing out of the SFs, per 36:

Rk Player Season Age G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    1 Giannis Antetokounmpo 2016-17 22 58 58 2060 8.5 16.1 .526 0.7 2.5 .276 7.8 13.6 .573 5.9 7.5 .787 1.9 6.9 8.8 5.5 1.8 2.0 3.2 3.3 23.5
    2 Jimmy Butler 2016-17 27 54 53 1984 7.2 16.3 .445 1.2 3.4 .342 6.1 12.9 .472 7.9 9.1 .868 1.6 4.5 6.1 5.0 1.8 0.3 2.0 1.7 23.5
    3 Kevin Durant 2016-17 28 59 59 1980 9.6 17.9 .537 2.0 5.4 .378 7.6 12.5 .606 5.9 6.8 .876 0.7 8.1 8.8 5.2 1.2 1.8 2.4 2.0 27.2
    4 Paul George 2016-17 26 54 54 1902 7.7 17.5 .437 2.3 6.1 .376 5.4 11.4 .470 4.5 4.9 .920 0.9 5.4 6.3 3.4 1.6 0.3 2.9 2.7 22.2
    5 Gordon Hayward 2016-17 26 54 54 1864 7.7 16.4 .468 2.1 5.3 .390 5.6 11.0 .505 5.8 6.7 .862 0.7 5.1 5.8 3.6 1.0 0.3 1.9 1.7 23.2
    6 Kawhi Leonard 2016-17 25 54 54 1801 9.3 19.1 .487 2.2 5.6 .386 7.2 13.5 .530 7.1 8.0 .894 1.3 5.1 6.3 3.6 1.9 0.7 2.3 1.7 27.9

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

That number kind of makes me
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Man, I've watched every second of every game this year & I have not seen anything all season, especially consistently, that tells or shows me PG is an All-NBA player. I don't even think he's having an All-Star season. But the All-Star game is a popularity contest so I get that, but All-NBA....he is definitely not.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Man, I've watched every second of every game this year & I have not seen anything all season, especially consistently, that tells or shows me PG is an All-NBA player. I don't even think he's having an All-Star season. But the All-Star game is a popularity contest so I get that, but All-NBA....he is definitely not.
    And you'll see that when the teams are announced.

I think KD will still make an All-NBA team.

Even if Durant doesn't get it, which he will, doesn't Gordon Hayward get in before pg?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SkipperZ For This Useful Post:

PG is absolutely not work $212 million. It's not even close. He'll be worth the contract that he gets if he doesn't make All-NBA. There are few players worth that much, and he's not one of them.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post:

Some Guy

Sports Logo

I think I'll finally break forever if this teams signs PG to a 200+ million dollar contract. I've come close to never coming back, it's been real hopeless at times, but that would just kill me.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

I'm never happy to see anyone injured. So it sucks for KD, even though I am not at all a fan of what the Warriors are doing to the league even if they are amazing to watch.

That being said - if this injury leads to PG getting an All-NBA slot, I don't care how it happened. I'll be happy.

He's my favorite player. Yeah, he has flaws. Some big ones, too. I don't deny it.

But I identify with him because of our shared history of injury and even though his play drives me crazy at times too, I'm a sentimental guy and that's just always going to be a factor for me. I have no problems with people who feel the exact opposite. That's cool. But this is just my 2c.

If this helps the Pacers positioning to re-sign PG. Good.

I think it's still likely that Durant makes it but there has to be 6 forwards beat PG out and I don't see 6 that absolutely get in before Paul, it's at least very debatable. I certainly don't see Green making it over Paul.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

All his effort stats are down. FTA, steals, assists, boards, everything. It's not like he's playing poorly. He's just not giving the same level of effort or at least the box isn't showing it.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    I think I'll finally break forever if this teams signs PG to a 200+ million dollar contract. I've come close to never coming back, it's been real hopeless at times, but that would just kill me.
    It's probably worth trading him rather than paying him that much. The Simons can't even keep their escalators working in the mall...or keep the mall which I heard is closing/converting to apartments.

He's been more efficient this year, but PG especially in the first half of the 2015-2016 season and then later on postseason >>> 2016-2017 performance.

PG has been definitively worse than:

Kevin Durant
    Kawhi Leonard
    Jimmy Butler
    Giannis A.
    Gordon Hayward
    LBJ of course
    Carmelo Anthony (maybe)

Basically any and every peer at his position has been better than him this year. This roster is playing below its talent level (seriously 1 game above .500? What a joke) PG is clearly not elevating the team anywhere, he should not even sniff an All-NBA award this season. I'm a big fan I don't say this because I don't like the guy, I say it because he doesn't deserve it.
    //

Any Pacers fan that wants PG back at $200+ million is not a real fan IMO. That's being a Pacers fan because of PG or more of a PG fan than the franchise alone. Signing him, and that production / lack of effort, would be as devastating to this team's future as the brawl was.

I want PG to be traded (preferably for a top 3 pick) but if this thing goes to 2018 summer I will be rooting hard for him to walk. I can't imagine what our roster would look like with him on that kinda deal. And he wants to win? We'd live in the lottery our as a 6-8 seed.

Larry will do what's right....and that's deal Paul. Hence the phone calls last week.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Unrelated, but kinda related question that might deserve its own thread. Does anyone think the DPE is a bad idea? There are really only a handful of players that I would even dare to think they're worth over $200M over five years. Plus, doesn't paying a player that money makes it even harder to build a team around them?

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post: