Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Free Agent Targets

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2017 Free Agent Targets

I think you could at least get a meeting with Gordon. Just by taking Stuckey ETO you're close to his salary with other FA's we have, then you sign Teague after I guess.

But I think the first thing Gordon or any other sizeable FA is going to ask with the Pacer is "What's Paul George going to do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you could at least get a meeting with Gordon. Just by taking Stuckey ETO you're close to his salary with other FA's we have, then you sign Teague after I guess.

But I think the first thing Gordon or any other sizeable FA is going to ask with the Pacer is "What's Paul George going to do?"
    If we could get Hayward, PG could probably be convinced to extend.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Too bad Bird burned the bridge with G. Hill. Be nice to get him back.

Looking at Hardaway Jr, just not sure he'll be much more than GR3.

Patterson would be a good addition.

What I would want us to do:

-Let Stuckey go
    -Let CJ go if he gets more than 6 a year
    -Try and trade Jefferson or Ellis
    -Let Lavoy Allen go

Sign:
    -Go all out at Hayward
    -When that fails go for Sefolosha or Tony Allen
    - go for Patterson
    -go for Morrow

What will probably happen:
    -Bird signs Illyasova 3/36
    - KCP 4/65
    - Udrih 2/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why you Grimpin?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I'm all for bring Hayward back to Indy.
    I think there's probably a 95-98% chance he stays in Utah or goes to Boston.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

People keep talking about the Celtics as a destination for a max contract but to pull that off they'd have to go nuclear on their roster by renouncing every possible free agent (Johnson, Olynk, Jerebko, Young, Green AND waive Zeller, Mickey, and Jackson AND trade or stash picks #36,#55, and #58. That would leave them with $31,148,414 in max cap space. The maximum salary for a player with 7 to 9 years experience is projected to be $31 million. The prized free agents in that range would be Hayward and Griffin. It would also leave them with only Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Max FA, Horford, Smart, Brown, Rozier, #1 pick, Non Tax MLE which is $8.406 million. But they also have to extend Thomas and Bradley. However, they are only eligible to sign Thomas and Bradley to extensions starting on July 12th and July 15th, respectively. This would be after most prized free agents sign. Although they might be okay with not signing an extension if it means playing with a max level player. They might be able to get some quality big in with that MLE but its unlikely.

If I was Ainge, I'd stop sitting on those assets and trade for a star instead because they most likely aren't getting one through FA and at some point those assets are going to lose their shine.
    Last edited by Pacersalltheway10; 02-25-2017 at 07:03 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge_24 View Post
    What I would want us to do:

-Let Stuckey go
    -Let CJ go if he gets more than 6 a year
    -Try and trade Jefferson or Ellis
    -Let Lavoy Allen go

Sign:
    -Go all out at Hayward
    -When that fails go for Sefolosha or Tony Allen
    - go for Patterson
    -go for Morrow

What will probably happen:
    -Bird signs Illyasova 3/36
    - KCP 4/65
    - Udrih 2/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stuckey and CJ both have player options. We can only hope they choose to opt out.

Nobody is trading for Monta unless PG is included.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dgranger17 For This Useful Post:

sav

I think we are only 2-3 players away from being able to contend. That doesn't mean we will be the top team, but I think we can be 2nd or 3rd in the East. Once you get to that point it pretty much comes down to how healthy you are and what team gets the most breaks.

We need a backup PF that can guard to the 3 point line and a backup Center that can protect the rim.

The key move is finding a good 3 & D wing. Obviously the better player we can find, the better but we do not necessarily need an all-star. I don't know where we find that, but that's why Bird and Pritchard get paid the big bucks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

We need shooters on this team to space the floor for next season. This Summer? There will be a wealth of shooters available.

Free Agents
    Gordon Hayward
    Otto Porter Jr.
    Kenneth Caldwell Pope
    Tim Hardaway Jr.
    Nick Young
    Ben Mclemore

Trade possibilities
    Alan Crabbe
    Jeremy Lamb
    Nic Batum

I think we might need to become a killer bee team. Similar to Houston. Houston has one star who they've surrounded with shooters (Dekker, Anderson, Gordon, Lou Williams (trade). The question is, which one of these shooters do you think fits best onto our team? The problem with signing Otto Porter and KCP is that both are starting quality. So that would hurt negotiations. Signing one of them to come off the bench.
    Last edited by Grimp; 02-25-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who's Kenneth Caldwell pope?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

A new coach for starters

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Who's Kenneth Caldwell pope?
    He certainly isn't a Player that the Pistons are likely going to match any offer that he gets since he's a RFA.

Nor is Potto Orter.....who isn't a Player that the Wizards are going to match any contract offer that he gets as another RFA.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    If I was Ainge, I'd stop sitting on those assets and trade for a star instead because they most likely aren't getting one through FA and at some point those assets are going to lose their shine.
    Part of it is that I think that Ainge is being super greedy and not willing to give up many of his assets in return for a Superstar or Elite Level Player. The guy has been sitting on a mountain of assets for several seasons.....and every season when you think he's going to do something big....he does nothing big. As you said...at some point, you just have to bite the bullet and make a trade. He will be in a position where they can't afford to pay the bigger contracts that Smart, Avery and Pizza Guy are gonna command in 2 seasons. He's gonna have to do a 2fer1 type deal in the summer if he wants to meet the price tag to get a Player like Butler or PG13.

Sports Logo

If PG13 is moved, I would fully expect...or at least hope that Monta or AlJeff is going along with him....which would then change the whole Salary Cap situation and who we can pursue.

I'm hoping that it's reasonable to listen to and actually act on any high quality offer that is made to send PG13 to some other Team......but there's a part of me that thinks that Bird is going be Bird and stick to his unwavering belief that PG13 is gonna stay and/or that we are better with him than not...even if he bolts. If that is the case......looking at the Salary Cap thread that Pacersalltheway10 ( tx by the way ), it tells me that if we don't make any major moves before the draft....we're looking at between $14 to 20 mil in cap Space ( depending on whether Stuckey opts in or not ).

That translates into a decent Starter or solid 6th Man type Player. What's worse is that I can totally see Bird just give that Cap space to re-sign CJ ( it wouldn't surprise me if he got something north of $12+ mil a year given his performance here in Indy over the last couple of months ) just like how he re-signed Stuckey ( even if there were other options that made some sense ).

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    He certainly isn't a Player that the Pistons are likely going to match any offer that he gets since he's a RFA.

Nor is Potto Orter.....who isn't a Player that the Wizards are going to match any contract offer that he gets as another RFA.
    If we can clear Al and Monta's deals in a trade. Plus cut Stuckey and CJ Miles using the ETO option in June, I'd sign Otto Porter and KCP and play OP Jr. at the 4 and KCP at the 2. OP is a SF or at least listed as one but in today's NBA he can play the 4. You move Thad to the bench and maybe fill out the rest of the roster with cheaper deals.

Sports Logo

KStar will have to speak for the Pistons, but I still think that solid Starters that are coming off their Rookie contracts will have their offers matched. On top of that.....There is no way that the Wizards are going to let Otto Porter go without matching.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    KStar will have to speak for the Pistons, but I still think that solid Starters that are coming off their Rookie contracts will have their offers matched. On top of that.....There is no way that the Wizards are going to let Otto Porter go without matching.
    I think if the offer is big enough they can't match. Remember they're paying Wall, Beal, payed Mahinmi last Summer. Gortat is still there and if Bogdanovic works out they'd have to pay him this Summer also. If the offer is big enough they'd have to go deep into the tax to pay Porter. As for the Pistons with Jackson and Drummond already on the pay roll for big bucks, they can't match KCP a major offer unless they move one of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I think if the offer is big enough they can't match. Remember they're paying Wall, Beal, payed Mahinmi last Summer. Gortat is still there and if Bogdanovic works out they'd have to pay him this Summer also. If the offer is big enough they'd have to go deep into the tax to pay Porter. As for the Pistons with Jackson and Drummond already on the pay roll for big bucks, they can't match KCP a major offer unless they move one of those guys.
    I'd be ok with Porter, but pass on KCP

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    I'd be ok with Porter, but pass on KCP
    Well KCP isn't the only option. One trade I would like Larry to attempt to make at the draft? Would be Stuckey and our 2017 2nd round pick (#48 overall) to Portland for Alan Crabbe and the #21st pick. For Portland they dump $44 mil over the next 3 years (Crabbe's deal), for 1 year of Stuckey at $7 mil. Plus they get our 2nd rounder. A player they don't have to pay. They can trade his rights, cut him, stash him into the D-league. Whatever. Portland currently has 3 1sts in this Summer's draft. If they draft all 3 they'd have to pay all 3. Portland is in salary dump process now with Evan Turner, Festus Ezeli, CJ McCollum, and Crabbe, and Harkless and Myers Leonard all getting new deals or extensions last Summer. They'd love to dump ET or Festus but in reality that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    People keep talking about the Celtics as a destination for a max contract but to pull that off they'd have to go nuclear on their roster by renouncing every possible free agent (Johnson, Olynk, Jerebko, Young, Green AND waive Zeller, Mickey, and Jackson AND trade or stash picks #36,#55, and #58. That would leave them with $31,148,414 in max cap space. The maximum salary for a player with 7 to 9 years experience is projected to be $31 million. The prized free agents in that range would be Hayward and Griffin. It would also leave them with only Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Max FA, Horford, Smart, Brown, Rozier, #1 pick, Non Tax MLE which is $8.406 million. But they also have to extend Thomas and Bradley. However, they are only eligible to sign Thomas and Bradley to extensions starting on July 12th and July 15th, respectively. This would be after most prized free agents sign. Although they might be okay with not signing an extension if it means playing with a max level player. They might be able to get some quality big in with that MLE but its unlikely.

Olynk will be back. The rest you mentioned are meaningless pieces.

James Johnson, Derrick Williams, Dewayne Dedmon from San Antonio are all players that would help at center and pf. CJ shoots a decent percentage but is a not physical and not a good defender. I hope he opts out. Plus another decent pick in the draft. Bam would be nice.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

I didn't think we had a realistic way to clear the $31 million for a max guy this year, without renouncing Teague anyway. Looks like even if Stuckey and Miles opt out, we waive and renounce all our eligible guys, we will still be $7 or $8 million away.

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    If we had a legit shot at Hayward, I would use a future first to move either Ellis/Jefferson contract easily. Feel like he's the one guy who could make us significantly better.
    I used to be a fan of acquiring Hayward but lately I feel like he's likely to stay in Utah.

Do we really like the fit of Hayward and Paul on the wing? It seems like scoring for this team isn't the problem, but toughness. I do think we need a pure shooter but you can get that for a lot less than what we'd have to pay Hayward.

I lean toward looking at PFs, which is why Millsap is my #1 target right now.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    no.

They'll match a max offer for KCP. As much as I don't want them to and they don't want to, they'll match because they have no one else at SG and move Reggie Jackson for pennies on the dollar if they have to.

Same with the wizards. They'll find other guys to give away before they'll let Porter walk.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-26-2017 at 04:37 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Here's the Pistons salary outlook. The only option they have is to match KCP no matter what. Even if they let him walk, they would still have absolutely no cap space this off season. Even in the summer of 2018, they would only have ~$2.87 million in space if they let him walk. So with that said they'll be at least $29 million over the cap and $9 million over the luxury tax limit. They'll also be over the tax apron so unless they can dump some salary, they can't use FA exceptions. So quite frankly, they're screwed either way. Obviously it would help if he only gets offered maybe $22 million but a team like the 76ers has the space and the opportunities to offer the max. I bet the 76ers and Kings are going to be the league's biggest nuisances to teams with RFA's this summer.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post: