Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Free Agent Targets

Default Re: 2017 Free Agent Targets

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So under the assumption that: Stuckey & Miles opt out (which in this insane market I see them both doing so). And Pacers picking up options on Allen, Young and GRIII- we'd be at $46m for 11 players. So I guess my question is do we have to stay under the projected cap of 102m or the projected LT of 122m for Teague+Hayward/Millsap/etc. If it's the latter of 122m we should have plenty of money if anyone wants to come here (by my calculation 76m, making convincing someone that we can compete for the East with them our only problem).
    From what I know Simon the owner has no problem going way over the cap. He just wants to avoid dipping into the luxury tax. I'm not sure why you;d pick up Lavoy's option when you have Christmas, Seraphin, and possibly Bentil as options. Also we could always go after Mirotic in free agency. He'd be our backup PF and is a stretch 4.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    For the folks wanting to go after Hayward in the off season, do you see him playing the 3 with Paul going back to the 2? Or would Gordon play the 2? Would either of them consider moving to the 4 and what would that do to their game? If GR3 is the SG of the future the question would be even more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    For the folks wanting to go after Hayward in the off season, do you see him playing the 3 with Paul going back to the 2? Or would Gordon play the 2? Would either of them consider moving to the 4 and what would that do to their game? If GR3 is the SG of the future the question would be even more important.
    I thought Hayward at 6'8, 226 pounds at the PF position would not work at all. Except Thad is actually 5 pounds less than Gordon and he's playing PF for us right now. But I see Thad as a more physical player than Gordon. Overall if it's something he's comfortable with then I'd try it. But the best solution would be to move Paul to the SG. Which is the position he guards now mostly anyways.

As for GR3, I think him backing up Hayward would be best. I'd still try and acquire a Waiters/Crabbe/Nick Young off the bench to back up Paul. Then maybe a Mirotic to backup Thad.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    From what I know Simon the owner has no problem going way over the cap. He just wants to avoid dipping into the luxury tax. I'm not sure why you;d pick up Lavoy's option when you have Christmas, Seraphin, and possibly Bentil as options. Also we could always go after Mirotic in free agency. He'd be our backup PF and is a stretch 4.
    I think Lavoy is the best of those 3 and 3.5m is nothing when you're working to build a 14 man roster on 122m.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Lavoy is the best of those 3 and 3.5m is nothing when you're working to build a 14 man roster on 122m.
    Exactly. Unless you draft a PF, there is no reason not to pick up Allen's option. Not going to find too much talent out there that is usable daily for 3.5 mil

I thought Hayward at 6'8, 226 pounds at the PF position would not work at all. Except Thad is actually 5 pounds less than Gordon and he's playing PF for us right now. But I see Thad as a more physical player than Gordon. Overall if it's something he's comfortable with then I'd try it. But the best solution would be to move Paul to the SG. Which is the position he guards now mostly anyways.

As for GR3, I think him backing up Hayward would be best. I'd still try and acquire a Waiters/Crabbe/Nick Young off the bench to back up Paul. Then maybe a Mirotic to backup Thad.
    Yeah- we don't have money for Mirotic, Teague, Hayward, Waiters. Signing Lavoy instead of Mirotic is what gives us a shot at an All Star like Hayward or Millsap while still being able to sign Paul next year and stay under LT.

In the dream scenario I'm cooking up we look like this:

Teague/monta/joe
    PG/pick
    Hayward/GR3/Niang
    Thad/Lavoy
    Turner/Jefferson/Xmas

And I think we contend for the east for next 6 years with a consistent roster we can keep together. Financially this is doable- sadly I think we're at best a distant 3rd in any Hayward talks behind Utah and Boston. Though the conversation seems like one you could convince him on. You're not making the finals on Utah anytime soon. Boston or Indy can compete with Cavs right now with Hayward. Still think he'd lean Brad Stevens and Boston regardless tho.
    Last edited by brownjake43; 03-05-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Waiters is actually a guy who I'd like to look at. Good 3 point shooter who can also get his own shot.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man I would really hate watching Waiters call his own number 30 times a game.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Man I would really hate watching Waiters call his own number 30 times a game.
    That part would definitely have to change, but Monta was like that too and he's adapted and Waiters is a good enough shooter I think he could make the adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    That part would definitely have to change, but Monta was like that too and he's adapted and Waiters is a good enough shooter I think he could make the adjustment.
    I'd rather toss a bag of money at Hardaway.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'd rather toss a bag of money at Hardaway.
    I'll agree with that, Hardaway would be a great addition.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After Hayward, there's not a free agent I want more than Luc Mbah A Moute. He's arguably the best defender in the NBA and I'd start him day 1 along Paul George. Ian Clark would be a nice under the radar shooter as well. Honestly, I'd sign those 2 with Teague and try to keep Miles and call it a summer. Draft a PF who can rebound, defend the perimeter well, and knock down a mid range jumpshot and a 3 and D wing with both picks and you have a solid foundation for a team (assuming Stuckey opts out ) Basically I just want a team like the Hawks except with Paul George and a budding Myles Turner on it. Defense, excellent shooting, and crisp ball movement are the keys to winning in this league.I hope once this team sheds Ellis and Stuckey that Nate will construct a cleaner offense that doesn't rely on messy drive and kicks and muddied pick and rolls because defenders don't have to guard Ellis or Stuckey close.
    Last edited by Pacersalltheway10; 03-06-2017 at 04:33 AM.

Other than Lavoy the Pacers really have no one to guard strong physical rebounding bigs, so if his knees are ok you keep him
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is 4,3 mil, but I agree that it is cheap for a rotation player in nowadays' market.

Pick up the option if

a) you don't need ALL money available for some big free agent acquisition.
    b) you need extra roster spots open dearly.

If we plan & succeed in re-signing Teague (and we need a replacement anyway if we don't), we only have ONE roster spot open to start with (Aaron Brooks' one).

CJ likely will go to free agency so that is the 2nd spot.

But two spots are basically taken by draftees alone (you can use 2nd-rounder for Euro-stash).

So, if we want to do anything in free agency, we basically have to trade guys OR waive guys OR not to pick up Lavoy's option.

Waiving is easier 'cause we have a lot of non-guaranteed ones in GRIII/Xmas/JoeyBuckets/Niang/Seraphin

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:

Hayward is a full inch shorter than PG and has much shorter wingspan. No way he would be matching up against 4's with any regularity. In fact he would be taking the smaller of the two wings most nights.

If the Pacers could somehow figure out a way to sign Gordon they should but it would be an interesting fit. I think offensively GH would have to take on a larger part of the driver/creator role and PG would have to be willing to score more in catch & shoot situations.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    Exactly. Unless you draft a PF, there is no reason not to pick up Allen's option. Not going to find too much talent out there that is usable daily for 3.5 mil
    Or unless we pursue a staring front court player in free agency instead of a wing. I couldn't pass on Hayward if we could work out that miracle but I don't think that's possible since he's getting the max and we won't have that kind of cap space after extending Paul. Outside of Hayward I'd much rather see Larry find a way to bring in a bigger physical front court player to start beside Turner. Favors will be available at a much lower price than Hayward and I'd be fine is Larry chose to go after a defensive minded center as as well.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I think you just take your advantage at the wing. Play George at 2, Hayward at 3. Want Turner to hit his peak? I think you want excellent athletes on the wings. Very different player than Hibbert, but similar in the best thing I think you can do for either one is pump up your perimeter D. (Outside of Player X from PD lore)

As much as "Wings are a dime a dozen" this league is driven by the position. The versatility in skill sets at the position, and the tweener stature (A lot of guys at the wings are combo guards, a lot could be considered stretch 4s) means that you can cover up a lot of holes if you have the right 2-3 players on the wing.

Of course there are different things a coach could do with the lineup, including play small with PG or Hayward at the 4 and GR3 in the game. There's probably 10-15 minutes or so a game you could get away with running PG or GH at the spot.

No reason to think of GR3 as some annointed "SG of the Future" it's the NBA, SG of the future needs to be SG of a championship team, or we need to keep getting better. Just saying, he's no future part of a "big 3" even though I like his game.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

We keep talking about Hayward who I seriously doubt would want to leave Utah after they've finally built a competitive team around him where they're 4th in the West but even if we did pull out that miracle how do we clear up enough cap space to sign him? The very first order of business is to try to extend Paul which adds 13 mil to the cap for next year and you can't do that unless you're under the cap. We can hold off on Teague if he agrees to wait so we can sign some talent but that's a huge risk since he's going to have plenty of offers coming his way but even in doing that it doesn't leave us in a position to bring in another max player.
    If you start with 71 mil for next year
    add in 12 mil for Teagues cap hold
    add in 13 mil for PG extension
    subtract 4 mil for losing CJ
    That leaves us with 92 mil so what about 8 mil to work with in free agency.

The only way we become big players in free agency is to trade Paul which I hope to god doesn't happen or find a way to dump Ellis or Al for cap space.

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    We keep talking about Hayward who I seriously doubt would want to leave Utah after they've finally built a competitive team around him where they're 4th in the West but even if we did pull out that miracle how do we clear up enough cap space to sign him? The very first order of business is to try to extend Paul which adds 13 mil to the cap for next year and you can't do that unless you're under the cap. We can hold off on Teague if he agrees to wait so we can sign some talent but that's a huge risk since he's going to have plenty of offers coming his way but even in doing that it doesn't leave us in a position to bring in another max player.

The only way we become big players in free agency is to trade Paul which I hope to god doesn't happen or find a way to dump Ellis or Al for cap space.
    We need to get rid of Stuckey, Ellis and Jefferson.

While it would be great to bring in a "name" free agent, I don't see it happening. Fortunately we have some young players that could improve and help a lot...Turner, GRIII and possibly Christmas could be a good player off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    We need to get rid of Stuckey, Ellis and Jefferson.

While it would be great to bring in a "name" free agent, I don't see it happening. Fortunately we have some young players that could improve and help a lot...Turner, GRIII and possibly Christmas could be a good player off the bench.
    The only one of those that I could us moving without giving up an asset is Jefferson. I don't want Larry to give away future picks just to dump salary.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

sav

I think developing Bentil would be the best option. Guy is a young, athletic stretch 4.

I think developing Bentil would be the best option. Guy is a young, athletic stretch 4.
    Think Bentil is still a Mav at least for now.

Bentil falls similar to Thad. You only give up Allen for another bruiser. I don't see another bruiser we can get for 4 mil. Letting Niang go for Bentil I can see. Would give us another option at the 4 if we play a small team. Wish we could drop Al (Think Seraphin is a better keep than Al)

I was originally for drafting a rebounding forward but I'm happy with the Christmas/Allen combo. With losing CJ, I think we need to look at drafting a true SG with our first and finding a defensive SF in the 2nd round or in Free agency ie Tucker

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post

A team at or above the salary cap may not be allowed to renegotiate a contract. They can renegotiate even if they're just $1 million under the cap so they can still be able to use their extra cap space of around $22.27 million which includes the draft picks and Teague's cap hold. So to be able to offer a max contract, still only one of Al Jefferson or Monta needs to be dumped (this is assuming Stuckey, Miles, and Allen are all let go).

The order would be
    1.) Use available cap space to sign free agents
    2.) Save a fraction of space to stay below the cap and renegotiate Paul George's contract
    3.) Sign Jeff Teague to a new contract

Also, assuming the Pacers keep both draft picks and do not waive any non-guaranteed players, there would need to be only one roster spot filled to meet the new league minimum of 14 players.
    Last edited by Pacersalltheway10; 03-06-2017 at 03:35 PM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

While I'd love to get Hayward, I'd also have no problem in breaking up the max contract money to sign Dion Waiters and Tim Hardaway Jr.