Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Free Agent Targets

Default Re: 2017 Free Agent Targets

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm very cool with Waiters and Young actually, but this man really wants them to get boatloads of money lol
    I wouldn't give Nick a boatload. I figure he is coming off making $5.6 mil a season. At age 31, I think $12 mil per season for 3 seasons (team option 3rd year) would be good enough. I would pay him less but normally to land a player you double what they already make.

As for Waiters you're paying for talent, and youth. He's only 25. He makes $2.5 mil now. I think $12 to $14 mil per year for 4 years (team option 4th year) would be a good price. But again if you can get him for lower no complaints here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Bogdanovic and or Otto Porter should be targets for us this Summer. Both are RFA. A large enough offer to both would really screw Washington.
    But we don't have salary room to make such offers. When you are bidding for free agents who are not your Bird exceptions, you can only go up to the cap (which is likely to be around 97-98 mil).

At this point, it looks like we will have these contracts in our payload :

P.George 19,5 M
    Thad 14,8 M
    Teague's cap hold 13,2 M
    Monta 11,2 M
    AlJeff 9,8 M
    Stuckey??? 7,5 M
    Myles 2,7 M
    1st-round pick at about 1,4 M
    At least 4 minimum salaries for calculation purposes (if we would have waived all our youngsters and Seraphin, not used a team option on Lavoy, renounced Brooks and CJ jumped the ship)

That comes up at around 83-84 million.

Means that we can only make an offer of about 14-15 million (or several totalling that amount) for free agents. And you can not simultaneously make multiple offers for RFAs! Every offer sheet you sign is off your cap until it either realizes or is matched!

So - it is basically either a) retain Teague or b) have money to go after serious targets. ....but it ain't both. For me - Teague can go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    But we don't have salary room to make such offers. When you are bidding for free agents who are not your Bird exceptions, you can only go up to the cap (which is likely to be around 97-98 mil).

At this point, it looks like we will have these contracts in our payload :

P.George 19,5 M
    Thad 14,8 M
    Teague's cap hold 13,2 M
    Monta 11,2 M
    AlJeff 9,8 M
    Stuckey??? 7,5 M
    Myles 2,7 M
    1st-round pick at about 1,4 M
    At least 4 minimum salaries for calculation purposes (if we would have waived all our youngsters and Seraphin, not used a team option on Lavoy, renounced Brooks and CJ jumped the ship)

That comes up at around 83-84 million.

Means that we can only make an offer of about 14-15 million (or several totalling that amount) for free agents. And you can not simultaneously make multiple offers for RFAs! Every offer sheet you sign is off your cap until it either realizes or is matched!

So - it is basically either a) retain Teague or b) have money to go after serious targets. ....but it ain't both. For me - Teague can go.

Front office should have no problem moving Monta and Al. Both are expiring's on good deals. Ellis is playing well as a sixth man. With a player option for next Summer (2018). Jefferson has a team option for his third year worth just $4 million.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure Bird would disagree with your assessment that Ellis contract is easy to move.

BTW no team will give Nick Young 12 million a year. Not even remotely close

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm sure Bird would disagree with your assessment that Ellis contract is easy to move.

As long as the player produces and isn't a knucklehead off the court any deal can be moved. Monta is producing right now as a sixth man. Makes him easier to move in the Summer. But moving just Al Jefferson gets us to $25 mil in cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it - think Solomon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    That was a limited body of work too. Solo really got playing time late in the season and into the playoffs. That small sample size earned him a fat contract.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We are better off making some kind of trade taking some money off of another team's salary than trying for a FA.

Sports Logo

I have no interest in bringing Teague back... None.

...and remember - if we hold to his rights, we will not have much chance to add any real players. With Teague's cap hold included (even with renouncing Brooks, Miles opting out & Lavoy cut), we will only have 12-13 mil under the salary cap. Even Stuckey inexplicaply enforcing his option would leave us short of throwing a single max. offer around.

(or taking one in via a one-sided salary dump trade as I rather propose).

We can either try to keep Teague or trying to add one true asset. I rather select the latter option than keep this "nucleus of mediocrity" intact.
    Ignoring that Teague already is a legit asset that we received in trading away another asset ( GH ), we finally have a legit Starting quality PG that is at the peak of his career that AT LEAST appears to have a legitimate interest in remaining in Indiana ( of course, assuming that the Pacers don't low ball him ). I am tired of playing PG russian roulette.

I don't care if PG13 leaves or stays....it makes little sense to continue the Pacers ongoing, annual and continual search for a legit Starting quality PG when WE FINALLY have found one.

We can agree to disagree.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-10-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    He's 6'8 and 25.

Yeah the contract was ridiculous but there's not much room for growth for NY

Front office should have no problem moving Monta and Al. Both are expiring's on good deals. Ellis is playing well as a sixth man. With a player option for next Summer (2018). Jefferson has a team option for his third year worth just $4 million.
    It's not just moving them, the only way we're players in free agency is to move them for cap space and I don't see that happening.

If we extend Paul we basically have no money beyond the mle to sign a free agent.
    Last edited by Pacerized; 03-11-2017 at 01:59 AM.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Front office will have a huge problem in moving Monta and Al for CAP SPACE. Neither will get better than veteran minimum contracts after Bird's follies run out. They are just as useless as the rest of this no-good team. I H A T E this collection of trash in "my team".

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:

Front office will have a huge problem in moving Monta and Al for CAP SPACE. Neither will get better than veteran minimum contracts after Bird's follies run out. They are just as useless as the rest of this no-good team. I H A T E this collection of trash in "my team".
    It is going to cost at least our first this year to dump either Monta or Al for cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    It is going to cost at least our first this year to dump either Monta or Al for cap space.
    Monta is average double digits off the bench. Moving him won't be a problem. His issue is fit. Al's issue is fit as well. He can still score but needs an athletic shot blocking PF next to him.

Say it again. I've never legitimately disliked so many players on one Pacer team in my entire life.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Monta is average double digits off the bench. Moving him won't be a problem. His issue is fit. Al's issue is fit as well. He can still score but needs an athletic shot blocking PF next to him.
    I wish "fit" was added to the PD profanity filter to never be seen again. Around here it really just means "this player is no good and I don't want to admit it."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Mood

Not really sure how I feel about Jefferson. I think he is one of the most talented offensive players on the team and certainly the most talented in the post. His defense and lack of fitness is such a liability though to where he is almost unplayable at times.
    Lifelong pacers fan

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    Not really sure how I feel about Jefferson. I think he is one of the most talented offensive players on the team and certainly the most talented in the post. His defense and lack of fitness is such a liability though to where he is almost unplayable at times.
    The real problem with Al is his weight/conditioning. If he was in shape, he could be a contributing rotation guy. Maybe even really good. But he is so fat that he looks more like John 'Hot Plate' Williams than a real NBA player.

Sports Logo

That's one of the main reasons why I'm not going to shed too much of a tear if Bird hangs up his GM sneakers in a few months.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

I think it would take giving up an asset to move both of them and I don't trust Bird with the cap space anyway. Look at what Bird did with cap space last year. Look at what he did after moving Hibbert's contract and losing West. I don't want to give up a pick to free up cap space only to have Bird waste it on 2 more overpaid role players that don't fit the role we need on this team.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

So with the signing of Lance and assuming GR3 is brought back I guess the Pacers will not be adding a sg this off season which means the tough call will be what will they do with Teague and what will the FO do about the front court?

If Teague isn't the starting sg for the Pacers would you rather sign Lowry in hopes he has a Chauncey Billups type resurgence or would you rather the Pacers draft a pg?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    So with the signing of Lance and assuming GR3 is brought back I guess the Pacers will not be adding a sg this off season which means the tough call will be what will they do with Teague and what will the FO do about the front court?

If Teague isn't the starting sg for the Pacers would you rather sign Lowry in hopes he has a Chauncey Billups type resurgence or would you rather the Pacers draft a pg?
    I like Teague, and I had hoped he, PG, and Turner would form a nice trio. Obviously, the results haven't been there, despite each having a decent year. General sentiment is that Teague is not happy here and PG doesn't get along with him all that well. Ultimately, Teague isn't an elite, world-beater at point guard, so I'm ok with letting him go.

If we have a shot at Lowry, I'd be hugely in favor of that. After the playoff battle last year and Lowry's 23/7/5 stat line this year, I think this would send Paul a serious message that we're trying to surround him with high-level players and compete. I don't know how realistic it is that we'll go after him, but yeah, I would.

I think the frontcourt and the ill-fitting veterans are a larger problem, though, and I'd be perfectly content keeping Teague and addressing those issues. I'd like to have some continuity from year-to-year, and Teague is certainly a talented player. One would think that going into a second season with PG, Teague, and Turner together would produce better chemistry and win/loss results.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post

I think Teague is leaving and I don't know what the answer is. I am assuming that you mean Ty Lawson as opposed to Kyle Lowry since Lowry has had a pretty good season...plus we couldn't get him anyway. Lawson is not the answer.

Mood

I like teague and love it that he's such an Indy guy.
    I wouldn't pay him close to the max though.
    If you saw the Memphis game then you know what a max point looks like.
    Clips look baked. If you want to throw around money like that, offer it to another Paul.

Otherwise I'd go big for a big, and find point where we can.
    There should be a lot of them available soon with the plethora of young points so high in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I like Teague, and I had hoped he, PG, and Turner would form a nice trio. Obviously, the results haven't been there, despite each having a decent year. General sentiment is that Teague is not happy here and PG doesn't get along with him all that well. Ultimately, Teague isn't an elite, world-beater at point guard, so I'm ok with letting him go.

If we have a shot at Lowry, I'd be hugely in favor of that. After the playoff battle last year and Lowry's 23/7/5 stat line this year, I think this would send Paul a serious message that we're trying to surround him with high-level players and compete. I don't know how realistic it is that we'll go after him, but yeah, I would.

I think the frontcourt and the ill-fitting veterans are a larger problem, though, and I'd be perfectly content keeping Teague and addressing those issues. I'd like to have some continuity from year-to-year, and Teague is certainly a talented player. One would think that going into a second season with PG, Teague, and Turner together would produce better chemistry and win/loss results.
    You want to the Pacers to play 4 vs 5 in the playoffs? Cause that's what Lowry is known for in the playoffs. He is a ghost.