View Poll Results: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    48 49.48%
  • No

    49 50.52%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 338

Thread: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

  1. #51
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,302

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    After thinking about it some more and after someone mentioning the Granger trade, I'm going to patiently wait for the offseason and watch how the season ends. I will agree with UB that the team is not in TERRIBLE shape, and they might play better once Thad is back. Plus, maybe Bird still has faith in this core group and didn't want to upset the team chemistry with a small trade like he did with the Granger move. Realistically, I know there wasn't a trade to put us over top, but I was thinking more about the future after Lebron.

    I'll be honest. I'm going to be pissed if Bird talks negatively about this team for the rest of the season. I'm going to be pissed if any of those cheap trades makes another team significantly better. I'm going to be pissed if the BKN pick becomes the number 1 pick in this draft.

    Bird better blow my socks off this summer.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  2. #52
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,174

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PG, Teague, Thad, Turner. We have all of our first round picks. Cap situation is very good.
    Teague could be gone, same with PG, Thad is ok but nobody is giving much for him, Turner is probably only asset together with some late round picks.

    Boston has assets, Wolves got assets, I don't think Pacers got much unfortunately :/
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,600

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Teague could be gone, same with PG, Thad is ok but nobody is giving much for him, Turner is probably only asset together with some late round picks.

    Boston has assets, Wolves got assets, I don't think Pacers got much unfortunately :/
    If Teague is gone our cap situation is better.

    If PG is gone it's most likely by trade or space, thus he is an asset. Can't really judge how much of an asset until we see the return.

    We'll have around 18th pick. We have Turner and all future picks.

    Basically we're a playoff team with some assets and flexibility, not bad.

  5. #54
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,397

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I look around the NBA. Bird has done a pretty good job. Not as good as many, but better than a lot. Pacers are in pretty good shape right now. I know most of you are too close to the situation to see it, but in pretty good shape. Cap is in good shape, have some real assets.
    I don't see how the Pacers are in good shape. The only assets that the team truly has are Turner and Paul.

    Given Teague's contract situation, I wouldn't exactly call him an asset. Especially since many seem to figure he will get 20 mil/yr soon. Thad isn't going to net much either. Maybe a mid to late first? But the guy has never been a winning answer at the PF spot anywhere, and the Pacers are currently experiencing that as well.

    The Cap situation is also not in that good of shape. If the team hands out large contracts to Teague and George, there will be very little to fill out the rest of the roster.

    Stuckey and Miles are most likely gone. Jefferson and Ellis (guys who best days are behind them) still have 2 years of guaranteed money on the books. Pacers also lack young developing players that seem to have the potential to be long term starters.

    The team isn't doomed by any means. But they are very much so the definition of average in a lot of ways.

    I guess that could be a positive or negative depending on how you wish to look at it.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  7. #55
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,174

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Teague is gone our cap situation is better.

    If PG is gone it's most likely by trade or space, thus he is an asset. Can't really judge how much of an asset until we see the return.

    We'll have around 18th pick. We have Turner and all future picks.

    Basically we're a playoff team with some assets and flexibility, not bad.
    Almost everybody have cap flexibility and picks I don't see this two things as anything important.

    And let's be real Pacers are not signing anybody special with that money anyways, they will spend their money on more role players like they always do.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:


  9. #56
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,381

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Teague could be gone, same with PG, Thad is ok but nobody is giving much for him, Turner is probably only asset together with some late round picks.

    Boston has assets, Wolves got assets, I don't think Pacers got much unfortunately :/
    Well after the Warriors the C's and The Wolves probably have more assets than any team in the NBA.

  10. #57
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,600

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see how the Pacers are in good shape. The only assets that the team truly has are Turner and Paul.

    Given Teague's contract situation, I wouldn't exactly call him an asset. Especially since many seem to figure he will get 20 mil/yr soon. Thad isn't going to net much either. Maybe a mid to late first? But the guy has never been a winning answer at the PF spot anywhere, and the Pacers are currently experiencing that as well.

    The Cap situation is also not in that good of shape. If the team hands out large contracts to Teague and George, there will be very little to fill out the rest of the roster.

    Stuckey and Miles are most likely gone. Jefferson and Ellis (guys who best days are behind them) still have 2 years of guaranteed money on the books. Pacers also lack young developing players that seem to have the potential to be long term starters.

    The team isn't doomed by any means. But they are very much so the definition of average in a lot of ways.

    I guess that could be a positive or negative depending on how you wish to look at it.
    Well, everyone around the league still thinks the Pacers move for Thad was pretty good. Lowe mentioned it in a recent article.

    But outside that, having a guy like Turner while having all your picks, not in cap hell and a playoff team is the equivalent of being in good shape.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  12. #58
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    10,045
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    The game has surpassed Bird inasmuch as it college basketball surpassed Bob Knight. Never let sentimentality hold back your business.

  13. #59

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Most people, nationally and locally, thought this team was going to battle Cleveland in the East. Why? Because of Larry's moves last summer. Those moves were great at the time and still are. The reason this team is underachieving is because of the lack of effort and energy. That's all on the "leader" or star of the team, Paul George. PG does not bring it every night, if he doesn't bring it then why should anyone else? We're 29-28, which isn't awful, because we have a good team. Imagine if this team had heart and cared, played hard nightly....we'd be 39-18 and contending in the East.

    I've only seen 1 player all season dive on the ball for a loose ball and that was Myles. That's SAD.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

    sav

  15. #60
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    6,600

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    I put a ton of value of being a playoff team. Turner getting playoff experience while Booker, Jokic, KAT and Kristaps don't is a big deal to me. And the only team not saddled with bad contracts in that group is KAT, and that team still has some salary issues.

  16. #61
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,381

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've only seen 1 player all season dive on the ball for a loose ball and that was Myles. That's SAD.
    Wow, you must not watch very much.

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  18. #62

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, you must not watch very much.
    Havent missed a play.

  19. #63
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,740

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    It's way past time. I always thought JOB was just a stop gap type coach, but with Bird's incessant ramblings over the past two offseasons about how defense is overrated and they need to play faster and score more points to win I see that's just his default philosophy. That right there is enough of a reason to send him back on vacation before you get into the fact that he's been a needless ******* and the fact that the vast majority of his moves have fallen flat on their face.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  21. #64
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,381

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Havent missed a play.
    Diving on the floor for loose balls isn't IMO all that important. But I remember seeing Stuckey, Monta, PG, Thad, Teague, Big Al, Glenn Robinson all dive on the floor and I'm sure I am missing some from the lesser used players. . Maybe we have a different definition of what diving on the floor means. But I will count for you in the next two games

    Besides that, I like that the pacers are 8th in the NBA in deflections, 4th in the NBA in taking charges
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-24-2017 at 11:52 AM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  23. #65
    Member LG33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    21,049

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    I've seen C.J. Miles and Monta Ellis take charges that they really shouldn't have. Effort might dip here and there, but this team isn't just burning clock out there.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post:


  25. #66

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by LG33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've seen C.J. Miles and Monta Ellis take charges that they really shouldn't have. Effort might dip here and there, but this team isn't just burning clock out there.
    Taking charges has nothing to do with effort. Taking a charge is just moving over or being in the right spot at the right time and taking a bump. What you think they're going to do just move over and never take a charge?

  26. #67
    Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain Square
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?



    This poll really shouldn't be 50/50, but that in and of itself is an indicator of the recent overly reactionary nature of this forum. You guys would have loved Al Davis as an owner.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 02-24-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:


  28. #68
    Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain Square
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PG, Teague, Thad, Turner. We have all of our first round picks. Cap situation is very good.
    I haven't even read this thread, but this team has 25 million in potential cap room this offseason.

    You could make a run at All Star Paul Millsap this summer, and you have Thad and your first round pick as assets to make another trade. The idea that this team has no assets is absurd.

    A poorly run team makes a deal to make a deal, a well run team is patient.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  29. #69
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,174

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't even read this thread, but this team has 25 million in potential cap room this offseason.

    You could make a run at All Star Paul Millsap this summer, and you have Thad and your first round pick as assets to make another trade. The idea that this team has no assets is absurd.

    A poorly run team makes a deal to make a deal, a well run team is patient.

    Milsap is getting 28+ at 33 years of age no thanks.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  30. #70
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,740

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    This poll really shouldn't be 50/50, but that in and of itself is an indicator of the recent overly reactionary nature of this forum. You guys would have loved Al Davis as an owner.
    Either you've not been around for the past year and a half or so, or you're purposefully distorting the path most of these feelings have taken and trying to make it seem like it's all about yesterday. Which one is it? The issues with Bird and needing to go have been building for a while now.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

  31. #71
    Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain Square
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Either you've not been around for the past year and a half or so, or you're purposefully distorting the path most of these feelings have taken and trying to make it seem like it's all about yesterday. Which one is it? The issues with Bird and needing to go have been building for a while now.
    Disagree 100%.

    Unclebuck is right, look around the league. The stability of this franchise is something we should appreciate. Bird is not a miracle worker, and he's made mistakes, but looking at the overall body of work I'm impressed. People want instant results and can't appreciate the long game.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  32. #72
    Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fountain Square
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,593

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Milsap is getting 28+ at 33 years of age no thanks.
    It was just an example, though for the record, I think Millsap would be a great addition. He's the sort of David West esque player that will age well, though I'm pretty sure you weren't a West fan so we may need to agree to disagree.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  33. #73

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Regarding the effort -

    I'm sure more than just Myles has gone on the floor, but if you can watch this team and say the effort is fine... ya'll crazy.

    Half the time, on any deflection, our best player is getting a head start on an outlet pass. Which is cool if we actually get the deflection.

    It begins with your best player. When your best player is a #2 (at best) and it's like pulling teeth to get him to play like Jimmy Butler, it's time to move on. Best time to move on is in the offseason. Although waiting until the offseason could bite us in the *** since our best players value could drop with all the pouting he'll be doing the next couple/few months.

    Funny that's where he decides to put his effort...

  34. #74
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,174

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disagree 100%.

    Unclebuck is right, look around the league. The stability of this franchise is something we should appreciate. Bird is not a miracle worker, and he's made mistakes, but looking at the overall body of work I'm impressed. People want instant results and can't appreciate the long game.

    PG kind of disagrees with all of this if you listen to his comments.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  35. #75
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,740

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disagree 100%.

    Unclebuck is right, look around the league. The stability of this franchise is something we should appreciate. Bird is not a miracle worker, and he's made mistakes, but looking at the overall body of work I'm impressed. People want instant results and can't appreciate the long game.
    You can disagree but you're wrong. The discussion about whether or not Bird needs to go has been going on for a while now. So either you don't know those conversations have been happening or you're ignoring them in order to paint those who you disagree with as reactionary. You can disagree without purposefully distorting the other side and the longevity of the position.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •