View Poll Results: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    48 49.48%
  • No

    49 50.52%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 338

Thread: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

  1. #26
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,536

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of us are afraid he will leave in free agency leaving us with nothing.
    Personally, it was just the perfect opportunity to build a young team with top draft picks and solid players without tanking. I was looking towards the future when Lebron is no longer the best player in the NBA while playing on a loaded team.

    My vote is yes. I would have been cool with not trading PG if he at least did SOMETHING reasonable for another player.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-23-2017 at 11:04 PM.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  2. #27

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    I voted no which really means, "Not yet." While I absolutely share others' extreme frustration that no moves were made, I'm pondering the possibility that details we may not know about dictated Larry's actions. For example, let's say that he either couldn't or didn't want to trade for younger players "of potential" such as Okafor or Noel. Then we shift our attention to "support" veterans and salaries become a significant part of the equation. Factor in Larry's belief (shared by at least some of us) that playoff experience is paramount to building a contender and then ponder the idea of signing one or even TWO veterans cheaply after a buyout. Terrence Jones and Aaron Afflalo, while not world beaters, would be nice, cheap additions by month's end, still in time for a playoff push.

    We have to be strategic with our salary management. Signing Jones and/or Afflalo post-buyout would be savvy moves. Drafting someone this summer who can contribute a little next year and show developmental potential, being frugal with signing a couple veterans, and getting lucky by landing a star or perhaps a respected leader & former all-star (a la David West) will be critical to the team's success next year and beyond. If not, I actually believe Larry will show himself out.


    "I think if he is and we pass on Leaf we'd be some dumb mother ****ers."

  3. #28

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    They should've fired him in or before May 2015, maybe even June 2014. Aside from drafting Turner, every move since then has been bad, imo. You could make an argument about the Hill/Teague trade or maybe even the Jefferson signing, but that's it.

    More importantly, he's done a **** ton of irreparable damage. I know people aren't hot on David West any more, but how many guys like West and Hill have completely soured on the Pacers, let alone our current star player?

    Today didn't move the needle at all for me.

  4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  5. #29
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,291

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They should've fired him in or before May 2015, maybe even June 2014. Aside from drafting Turner, every move since then has been bad, imo. You could make an argument about the Hill/Teague trade or maybe even the Jefferson signing, but that's it.

    More importantly, he's done a **** ton of irreparable damage. I know people aren't hot on David West any more, but how many guys like West and Hill have completely soured on the Pacers, let alone our current star player?

    Today didn't move the needle at all for me.
    You are more forgiving than me.

    My needle moved to "Ask him for his entire Mock Draft List rankings, then politely agree that he should retire from the Pacers Organization so that we all can move on" the second the Trade Deadline passed and seeing that our Team didn't improve.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

  6. #30
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,405

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They should've fired him in or before May 2015, maybe even June 2014. Aside from drafting Turner, every move since then has been bad, imo. You could make an argument about the Hill/Teague trade or maybe even the Jefferson signing, but that's it.

    More importantly, he's done a **** ton of irreparable damage. I know people aren't hot on David West any more, but how many guys like West and Hill have completely soured on the Pacers, let alone our current star player?

    Today didn't move the needle at all for me.
    Fired him in June 2014 right after the team made its second straight ECF's? Why in the world would they have done that?

    I'm certainly ready for him to go at this point and see a different direction, but it doesn't matter. He will retire to Florida long before the Simons would ever consider canning him. His seat will never be hot.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  8. #31
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,512
    Mood

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    The whole league knows paul george is available? Sounds like people were calling and bird not listening. How does this mean the whole league knows PG is available?

    Also, what was the best offer on the table? I haven't heard anything that sounds like it is guaranteed to be better than paul. Also, we don't know anything beyond speculation.
    Lifelong pacers fan

  9. #32
    Pacer fan since 1993 Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,050

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    I was ready for him to go when they traded Danny, that was inexcusable. I know Pritchard made the trade but Bird had to approve it. Everything went to hell after that trade and it has not recovered. Call it the Curse of trading Danny or Karma but they earned it.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:


  11. #33

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, what was the best offer on the table? I haven't heard anything that sounds like it is guaranteed to be better than paul. Also, we don't know anything beyond speculation.
    All it takes is one idiot quoting another idiot that sent out an uninformed tweet which is all of a sudden taken as gospel. 7 first round picks, 2 all-star level starters, a few million in cash, a couple of Lambos, valuable real estate and a lifetime supply of fine scotch in exchange for PG --- and Bird is a moron for turning it down because he doesn't like scotch and should be fired immediately, along with the Simons being stripped of their ownership and Boomer being neutered.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  13. #34
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,536

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All it takes is one idiot quoting another idiot that sent out an uninformed tweet which is all of a sudden taken as gospel. 7 first round picks, 2 all-star level starters, a few million in cash, a couple of Lambos, valuable real estate and a lifetime supply of fine scotch in exchange for PG --- and Bird is a moron for turning it down because he doesn't like scotch and should be fired immediately, along with the Simons being stripped of their ownership and Boomer being neutered.
    Honestly, I didn't care about any other tweets besides the one from Woj. Indiana and Boston talked. We knew who they wanted, and we knew what assets they had.

    Knowing Bird, the BKN picks was the price of admission, and it was probably a Boston trade or bust. When it was said and done, I don't think the other teams had a chance at Paul George.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  14. #35
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,123

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    I actually think trading for Teague and Thad were great moves, bringing in the washed up Al Jeff was just just meh to me. I could take it or leave it, just like Al's play this year. Drafting Myles was great.

    However, having a roster full of redundant players, not keeping Lance for a paltry amount or a reduced contract length, not addressing key missing holes in our team's construction. Not keeping Mahinmi. Openly saying in interviews that he doesn't even consider chemistry or fit in building a team, just thinks that you can throw them out there and let them figure it out. This team has been at the bottom in rebounding ever since Lance left. The lack of open communication with players that we traded, our superstar franchise player. Trying to change your superstar's position.

    Yeah I'd say the negatives outweigh the positives by alot.

    You just watch, Bird will probably have a Presser here in a couple of days and say something that is a complete dig at Paul George. That will pretty much cement that he leaves.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  15. #36
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,523

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    As I look around the NBA. Bird has done a pretty good job. Not as good as many, but better than a lot. Pacers are in pretty good shape right now. I know most of you are too close to the situation to see it, but in pretty good shape. Cap is in good shape, have some real assets.

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  17. #37
    Away From Sharp Objects Gremz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    179
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Not for me. As mentioned previously, he hasn't been the greatest but certainly hasn't been the worst. Big fan of his draft input also (and I think we'll need this in the next few years).

  18. #38
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,405

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was ready for him to go when they traded Danny, that was inexcusable. I know Pritchard made the trade but Bird had to approve it. Everything went to hell after that trade and it has not recovered. Call it the Curse of trading Danny or Karma but they earned it.
    Hindsight is 20/20. Granger wasn't producing while Turner was an 18 PPG guy in Philly. We lost the 2013 ECF's in large part because we had a downright putrid bench. Our starters pretty much played Miami's even, but the difference was that Miami got bench production. I'll never fault Bird for going all in on that 2014 and doing everything possible to win a title (trying to improve bench with Scola and Turner).

    Bird has done some questionable things, but the Granger trade was the right move in the heat of the moment. Obviously Bird overrated that roster's maturity, but you can't blame him given what they had accomplished in 2013 with Granger out.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  20. #39
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    10,184

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was ready for him to go when they traded Danny, that was inexcusable. I know Pritchard made the trade but Bird had to approve it. Everything went to hell after that trade and it has not recovered. Call it the Curse of trading Danny or Karma but they earned it.
    I'm not sure the direction this team has taken since Pritchard came on board is entirely coincidental.

    Also, people put way too much weight on the mid-season trade deadline. How often does a mid-season trade actually significantly improve a team? The last time I can remember that happening was when Detroit traded for Wallace.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hindsight is 20/20. Granger wasn't producing while Turner was an 18 PPG guy in Philly. We lost the 2013 ECF's in large part because we had a downright putrid bench. Our starters pretty much played Miami's even, but the difference was that Miami got bench production. I'll never fault Bird for going all in on that 2014 and doing everything possible to win a title (trying to improve bench with Scola and Turner).

    Bird has done some questionable things, but the Granger trade was the right move in the heat of the moment. Obviously Bird overrated that roster's maturity, but you can't blame him given what they had accomplished in 2013 with Granger out.
    I disagree with that vehemently, and did so at the time without any 20/20 hindsight, alongside with many others. There is no hindsight needed to know that was a terrible trade at the time.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 02-24-2017 at 09:48 AM.

  21. #40

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    I have no idea whether LB should be fired or if he should just quit after shaving his head or setting himself afire. WE HAVE NO INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT TRADES WERE OR WERE NOT DISCUSSED! Please keep that in mind while making FO decisions. Does PG hae a list of teams he would like to play for if he's traded? Does he have a list of players he would like to have join him in Indy. Do he and the rest of the team and Larry or Nate ever discuss these kinds of topics? Once again, we have very little to no information about what drives the decision process at the Pacers. There is an old saying that opinions are like A$$es, everyone has one and if you wait a bit they will show it.
    Being such a well informed and adult individual, I checked out the final trades/lack of for the Pacers, threw my empty drink can at the TV, set my hair on fire and went to bed. As punishment, I refused to re-watch the last taped game again, that'll show 'em!
    I'm done with the Pacers until tonight when we have a game!!!!!

  22. #41
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,523

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They should've fired him in or before May 2015, maybe even June 2014. Aside from drafting Turner, every move since then has been bad, imo. You could make an argument about the Hill/Teague trade or maybe even the Jefferson signing, but that's it.

    More importantly, he's done a **** ton of irreparable damage. I know people aren't hot on David West any more, but how many guys like West and Hill have completely soured on the Pacers, let alone our current star player?

    Today didn't move the needle at all for me.

    What about Thad for first round pick.

    Where are the comments from Hill that he soured on the pacers?
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-24-2017 at 09:57 AM.

  23. #42
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,405

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure the direction this team has taken since Pritchard came on board is entirely coincidental.

    Also, people put way too much weight on the mid-season trade deadline. How often does a mid-season trade actually significantly improve a team? The last time I can remember that happening was when Detroit traded for Wallace.




    I disagree with that vehemently, and did so at the time without any 20/20 hindsight, alongside with many others. There is no hindsight needed to know that was a terrible trade at the time.
    Granger was completely toast as a player at that point. Turner was 5 years younger and producing. From a basketball standpoint, it was a no brainier given that a weak bench was why we lost the 2013 ECF's. From an emotional standpoint, it's a different argument I suppose.

    That team had issues that went far beyond keeping Granger around, I.e. Hibbert basically completely collapsed as a player.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  25. #43
    Blow it up BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,187

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger was completely toast as a player at that point. Turner was 5 years younger and producing. From a basketball standpoint, it was a no brainier given that a weak bench was why we lost the 2013 ECF's. From an emotional standpoint, it's a different argument I suppose.

    That team had issues that went far beyond keeping Granger around, I.e. Hibbert basically completely collapsed as a player.
    Agreed that from a pure basketball standpoint it was a good move. Granger was a memory. At the same time Bird handled it poorly. You just don't treat a good soldier and dedicated franchise player like that and not lose the team culture. People matter and because of that it was a really bad move. It told us more about Bird than anything else.

  26. #44
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,523

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Look at the players who have left the Pacers in recent years. The core of the 2013 and 2014 ECF teams. Except for George Hill who is injured more often then not, all the other players have done nothing. Lance has been out of the NBA for most of the season. Roy just got traded for a second round draft pick and West hasn't done anything. So losing all those players, and losing PG for at least 1 full season and to be where we are right now record wise, talent wise, cap wise, is not all bad.

    How many top teams from the period 2012 through 2014 are better than the Pacers right now? Besides the Spurs?

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  28. #45
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    35
    Posts
    33,929

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I look around the NBA. Bird has done a pretty good job. Not as good as many, but better than a lot. Pacers are in pretty good shape right now. I know most of you are too close to the situation to see it, but in pretty good shape. Cap is in good shape, have some real assets.
    Assets?
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  29. #46
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,405

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed that from a pure basketball standpoint it was a good move. Granger was a memory. At the same time Bird handled it poorly. You just don't treat a good soldier and dedicated franchise player like that and not lose the team culture. People matter and because of that it was a really bad move. It told us more about Bird than anything else.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Had it come out that Bird decided to not upgrade to a guy 17 PPG because he was sentimental about Granger, there would have been plenty of livid fans given that the team was in desperate need of bench play for the looming Miami.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  31. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    6,331

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The whole league knows paul george is available? Sounds like people were calling and bird not listening. How does this mean the whole league knows PG is available?

    Also, what was the best offer on the table? I haven't heard anything that sounds like it is guaranteed to be better than paul. Also, we don't know anything beyond speculation.
    I really don't think that Paul George was that available. Larry took some calls but he wasn't shopping him. I think the media rehashing what little they knew over and over blew that out of proportion. I'm not at all upset that Larry didn't move Paul, I didn't want him to and anything less that both Brooklyn picks would have been too low IMO. I doubt if Larry ever had a fair offer that would merit a serious discussion.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

    Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

  32. #48
    Blow it up BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,187

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Had it come out that Bird decided to not upgrade to a guy 17 PPG because he was sentimental about Granger, there would have been plenty of livid fans given that the team was in desperate need of bench play for the looming Miami.
    Good point but I think the bottom line is that bird does not show people respect. I don't believe in consulting players who are being traded with the exception of someone like Granger who gave his heart and soul to the team.

  33. #49
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,078

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    I'm down for Bird to leave...but it's really just because I'm ready for a new vision.

    People like to blame Bird for breaking up a contender, but really all those key guys besides PG just broke down themselves and the last run went out the window with PG's broken leg.

    But it's foolish to not understand that we've had a nice 7 years of playoffs (besides 1 season, the PG injury) and 2 ECF runs and a new GM could be all about the tank/rebuild.

    As someone who has been a STH or gone to pretty much every game over the past 7 years, I have appreciated always being competitive and not tanking.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  35. #50
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,523

    Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Assets?
    PG, Teague, Thad, Turner. We have all of our first round picks. Cap situation is very good.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •