View Poll Results: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 49.48%
  • No

49 50.52%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The more I look other teams' contracts , the more appreciative I become of the Pacers contracts. They've gotten bargains the past couple years and on good players but the problem is that these players don't fit together at all. Every time Monta, Teague, or Stuckey are on the floor together I can't help but cringe.
    They're bargains for a reason. You get what you pay for

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    The problem is, Bird isn't trying to do what worked before, he's trying to build a small ball team, and he is failing miserably at it.
    Possibly even worse than he did the first time. At least those JOB teams actually had the skill set to play that style.

Quote Originally Posted by Willbo View Post
    Is it possible that Larry did a really good job assembling two separate near contenders without bottoming out and one total dud or does that not fit the manichean, good v evil narrative?
    Two? Where is number two?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Yeah I'm not sure about this thinking that Larry build a "contender", maybe "contender" for the Easter conference finals but that's it.

I don't think Larry (or Walsh that one year) were that serious about going all in.

Pacers to me were lucky that the east was **** at the same time they had a good team, It would be like Memphis right now but with teams like SA,Houston,OKC just sucking enough to make Memphis a "contender" that is going to detrone GS.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm one of Larry's biggest critics, though his drafting is solid. I can't say till after the playoffs though.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure about this thinking that Larry build a "contender", maybe "contender" for the Easter conference finals but that's it.

I don't think Larry (or Walsh that one year) were that serious about going all in.

Pacers to me were lucky that the east was **** at the same time they had a good team, It would be like Memphis right now but with teams like SA,Houston,OKC just sucking enough to make Memphis a "contender" that is going to detrone GS.
    For whats it worth, we were 2 and 2 with OKC and Spurs in the regular season the 56 win year. I think that coupled with being in ECF qualifies as a contender.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    For whats it worth, we were 2 and 2 with OKC and Spurs in the regular season the 56 win year. I think that coupled with being in ECF qualifies as a contender.
    Yeah I am gonna go ahead and say that contending back then against Western elite is not the same as this year. GSW with Durant would have swept the Pacers back then.

Yeah that is a not contending team in my book and if he tries to duplicate that same type of team they wont be contenders either.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Yeah I am gonna go ahead and say that contending back then against Western elite is not the same as this year. GSW with Durant would have swept the Pacers back then.
    The 2014 Spurs were an absolutely possessed team that won 62 games and beat the Lebron Heat 4-1. They were a great team and the Pacers beat them soundly in SA. Very impressive. This year's Warriors with their cartoonishly stacked roster are virtually unprecedented.

Those Pacers were a legit contender. We built a team the old fashioned way and competed against a team with the best player in the world, a top 5 player, and top 10ish player. That team was really good.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    On a serious note, I don't see the idea that the roster is trending up. If Teague is signed to a big contract, then there will be minimal money to fill roster spots and holes within the roster.

The Pacers also lack anything in terms of young prospects with potential that could fill those holes while under cost effective contracts.
    Christmas may be added to the list. Christmas, GRIII and Turner is not a bad group of young guys on really cheap contracts.

Christmas may be added to the list. Christmas, GRIII and Turner is not a bad group of young guys on really cheap contracts.
    Christmas and RG3 are backups. They're relatively inexpensive backups, so thats a positive. But neither of them are filling a major hole or need on the roster.

Christmas and RG3 are backups. They're relatively inexpensive backups, so thats a positive. But neither of them are filling a major hole or need on the roster.
    What hole do we have in the starting lineup? Shooting Guard when CJ leaves?

I think GRIII could fill that role, but we could also sign someone. If Christmas continues to play well, I think we have as many young prospects as any other East playoff team besides Celtics.

You really never know what you have. A week ago it would have been crazy to say Christmas was on the list, for all we know Young or Niang could make a jump. Plus we have both our picks.

What hole do we have in the starting lineup? Shooting Guard when CJ leaves?

I think GRIII could fill that role, but we could also sign someone. If Christmas continues to play well, I think we have as many young prospects as any other East playoff team besides Celtics.

You really never know what you have. A week ago it would have been crazy to say Christmas was on the list, for all we know Young or Niang could make a jump. Plus we have both our picks.
    Barring a major improvement by Myles next year, the Pacers will need a starting 2 and a starting 4 if they want to legitimately be contenders. CJ isn't anymore of a starter than Robinson is, and neither one of those guys are strong starters on deep playoff teams.

Pacers also don't have more young talent than Boston (obviously) Detroit (oldest starter is 27), or Washington (their entire core is under 26 outside of Gortat). Robinson isn't starting on any of those teams right now. We still aren't sure what 12/25 is.

Edit: just realized that you said prospects. If you're meaning young guys that haven't played much but could improve enough to become something, then I think Christmas is the only one that fits that bill on the Pacers. Robinson has been in the rotation for most of the year.

Barring a major improvement by Myles next year, the Pacers will need a starting 2 and a starting 4 if they want to legitimately be contenders. CJ isn't anymore of a starter than Robinson is, and neither one of those guys are strong starters on deep playoff teams.

Pacers also don't have more young talent than Boston (obviously) Detroit (oldest starter is 27), or Washington (their entire core is under 26 outside of Gortat). Robinson isn't starting on any of those teams right now. We still aren't sure what 12/25 is.

Edit: just realized that you said prospects. If you're meaning young guys that haven't played much but could improve enough to become something, then I think Christmas is the only one that fits that bill on the Pacers. Robinson has been in the rotation for most of the year.
    I think the best shot we have is major improvement from Myles. He is a big key to our future success.

It would be nice to land another superstar that played the 4 which would mean a guy like GRIII or CJ could fit nicely as the 5th option 2 and have a guy like Thad off the bench, but that would be quite the luxury.

Still, paying rotation guys a million dollars is very good. We'll have to see how the rest of the roster shapes out next year, but it's not like we're doomed here.