View Poll Results: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 49.48%
  • No

49 50.52%
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

Default Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

Simple questions should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Default Re: Should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?

No. Sounds like teams were coming at him left and right inquiring about PG, but luckily he didn't pull the trigger on any of them. Five years ago this forum was clamoring that if we only had a superstar, a player that a franchise could be built around, then we would win championships. Well, we now have that player, arguably the best this franchise has ever had, but because we haven't won a championship yet (which is extremely hard to do in this league by the way), then we should be shipping him off. We would be stuck in mediocrity again, and talk would begin again if we only had a Jordan-caliber superstar then we would be fine.
    Last edited by adamscb; 02-23-2017 at 09:52 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

He needs fired right now. He doesn't seem to be able to execute trades. He has shown he can pick out talent. But we need a GM, not a scout.

I am a long time Bird fan, but I knew he needed to be fired years ago. He is not that good. A lot of times it's like he is just throwing darts at a dart board and hoping it works. Much like Ryan Grigson. I also think there is no chance in h*** he goes anywhere unless he wants to. You think Simon has the balls to fire Larry Legend? ha!

He should've been booted out the door along with Vogel last season.

This team needs a new direction.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Sounds like teams were coming at him left and right inquiring about PG, but luckily he didn't pull the trigger on any of them. Five years ago this forum was clamoring that if we only had a superstar, a player that a franchise could be built around, then we would win championships. Well, we now have that player, arguably the best this franchise has ever had, but because we haven't won a championship yet (which is extremely hard to do in this league by the way), then we should be shipping him off. We would be stuck in mediocrity again, and talk would begin again if we only had a Jordan-caliber superstar then we would be fine.
    Can we all understand that this is not the reason people want to trade PG?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Can we all understand that this is not the reason people want to trade PG?
    I was saying that in a sarcastic manner, tell me then why do people want him traded? We won't receive equal value in return, and we would be losing the greatest player this franchise has ever seen.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    Then why do people want him traded? We won't receive equal value in return, and we would be losing the greatest player this franchise has ever seen.
    A lot of us are afraid he will leave in free agency leaving us with nothing.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

We need a fresh start and no I don't mean a return to Donnie Walsh. I'm not even sure about Pritchard as I believe a lot of this past off season was his doing but I'm willing to give it a go.

As Sollozo always say's our gm's are like supreme court justices, they have life long tenure.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Simple questions should the Pacers fire Larry Bird?
    Yes. But Larry is working at this job under a gentlemen's agreement with Herb Simon. He needs to show some gentlemenly class and leave at seasons end. Admit he's too old and dimwitted for this job, and go retire and do some fishing or something. Let KP take over.

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    A lot of us are afraid he will leave in free agency leaving us with nothing.
    Well, I would say that chance just increased significantly over the last week. The whole league now knows he's available.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I gave Bird a pass all year because I thought he made few decent moves (minus getting Nate) but it's obvious is not working and it won't work.

Why not make some moves if the guy you are trying to keep pretty much told you he wants to "compete"?

Is Larry so stubborn he doesn't even listen to his own star? think about it PG is now mad because they didn't communicate with him, this is Melo/Phill Jackson all over again and is not going to end up well either.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

I was very happy when Larry returned but I gave up on him in the summer of 2015 with all the terrible moves he made and started the dysfunctional small ball project. I'm starting to think there was a lot of luck involved in putting together our recent ECFs teams because he seems to have no idea how to add players that compliment each other now and seems to place no value on defense any longer.
    I'm only a little disappointed in the lack of progress at the trade deadline though. The best move that Larry could have made to keep Paul George however I think he could have improved considering some of the trades that went down and rumors of players being available.
    I've been ready for Larry to depart for 2 years but it has nothing to do with today.
    Last edited by Pacerized; 02-24-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Bird has taken this team from contender to a dumpster fire if PG walks. He's acquired CJ Miles and Rodney Stuckey and has a 3rd stringer as his SG. He traded away defense with George Hill and Ian Mahinmi when he should have known he needed that defense when he didn't have a shooter to go with Teague. He's really built one of the most poorly constructed Pacer teams I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I was very happy when Larry returned but I gave up on him in the summer of 2015 with all the terrible moves he made so many terrible moves and started the dysfunctional small ball project. I'm starting to think there was a lot of luck involved in putting together our recent ECFs teams because he seems to have no idea how to add players that compliment each other now and seems to place no value on defense any longer.
    I'm only a little disappointed in the lack of progress at the trade deadline though. The best move that Larry could have made to keep Paul George however I think he could have improved considering some of the trades that went down and rumors of players being available.
    I've been ready for Larry to depart for 2 years but it has nothing to do with today.
    It's been a continuous slide down for me. Maybe for those same 2 years. Bird has proven he's not a good GM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Bird has taken this team from contender to a dumpster fire if PG walks. He's acquired CJ Miles and Rodney Stuckey and has a 3rd stringer as his SG. He traded away defense with George Hill and Ian Mahinmi when he should have known he needed that defense when he didn't have a shooter to go with Teague. He's really built one of the most poorly constructed Pacer teams I have seen.
    To be fair I am pretty certain that Stuckey & Miles came in the one season Bird was away and Walsh was running the show.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    To be fair I am pretty certain that Stuckey & Miles came in the one season Bird was away and Walsh was running the show.
    No, Stuckey signed in the summer of 2014. Bird returned in the summer of 2013. Bird's the word and it's a dirty word right now.

I gave Bird a pass all year because I thought he made few decent moves (minus getting Nate) but it's obvious is not working and it won't work.

Why not make some moves if the guy you are trying to keep pretty much told you he wants to "compete"?

Is Larry so stubborn he doesn't even listen to his own star? think about it PG is now mad because they didn't communicate with him, this is Melo/Phill Jackson all over again and is not going to end up well either.
    PG Bird and Simon were "on the same page" yesterday or two days ago. Then after the deadline, our superstar whines about being "in the dark" during the deadline. Even though nothing actually happened during the deadline.

The problem isn't Bird or Simon. It's the media and the fans who only read or hear what the media tells them. A whole bunch of people without Front Office jobs, who sit in front of a microphone or a television, is where the majority of fans get their information and opinions. It's sad really. Reminds me a little bit of the novel 1984.

#fakenews

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dgranger17 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    His year away was the Ian and Gerald signings + the Solo draft

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's worth the risk of PG walking because we won't be a contender with any trade anyways. If PG walks, fire Bird and hire Hinkie and Process it I guess.

Wow I can't believe is so close I expect this to be a blow out

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    His year away was the Ian and Gerald signings + the Solo draft
    Ian for Collison was a great trade.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Wow I can't believe is so close I expect this to be a blow out
    There must be a lot of ISU fans on the board right now. In no way has Bird done a good job managing this team with the exception of the draft. I would say wait until July to fire him.

_________________________ RamBo_Lamar's Avatar

Yes, but only if they are willing to bring in Grimp to take over basketball operations.

Otherwise no.

36. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post: