Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950
Results 1,226 to 1,249 of 1249

Thread: Woj: Pacers assessing trade market for Paul George

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Woj: Pacers assessing trade market for Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it really works that way anymore. Paul has big endorsements now, I doubt if his endorsement money would go up much in L.A. unless he took them to a championship in which case I think the same could be said of Indiana. Durant for example received his biggest endorsement from Nike a 10 year 300 mil deal while he was in OKC. Paul may make a ton of money from endorsements in the future but I doubt if he would make $109 mil more in L.A. than he would anywhere, those endorsements come as long as he's able to win.
    I still think when it comes down to it Bird won't flinch any more than he did at the trade deadline when he swatted away offers and Paul will look at that huge contract offer from the Pacers along with a huge raise for next year then he'll suddenly convince himself of how great the Pacers chances are of competing for a title and sign.
    He may get endorsements now, but he will get a lot more publicity in LA, which would probably translate into more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Lakers aren't trading for PG. They'll draft a star in the draft and sign him next summer for free
    This is the NBA, a logical move like that rarely happens.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    He may get endorsements now, but he will get a lot more publicity in LA, which would probably translate into more money.
    Or more kids with strippers...

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Or more kids with strippers...
    I think he's had his fill of that. Paul isn't really dumb. He's made mistakes and probably learned from them. He's now learning from Durant and probably interested in a new zip code because he knows he's not getting it done in Indy. But he may well stay to get paid a mint.

Looking at this from a different angle than I have done before. While I'm sure Paul would love to be a big hit in LA again, he would be going to a team with probably less chance to win a title than if he just stayed in Indiana. LA is also a town, from what we have been told that will turn on a Star in a second if they fail to WIN! I've pretty much felt that the Lakers were his first pick because of his Kobe fanship, but he has said he grew up a Clipper fan. What would be the chance of making a trade for some similar talent from the Clippers?
    Wouldn't Paul have a better chance to join a non Ca. team and lead some EC team to the title?

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Looking at this from a different angle than I have done before. While I'm sure Paul would love to be a big hit in LA again, he would be going to a team with probably less chance to win a title than if he just stayed in Indiana. LA is also a town, from what we have been told that will turn on a Star in a second if they fail to WIN! I've pretty much felt that the Lakers were his first pick because of his Kobe fanship, but he has said he grew up a Clipper fan. What would be the chance of making a trade for some similar talent from the Clippers?
    Wouldn't Paul have a better chance to join a non Ca. team and lead some EC team to the title?
    Paul, or Paul's camp has kind of put the Pacers in a bind by saying he either wants to win a title with the Pacers or go to the Lakers.

No team is going to offer much for Paul since they know it will be a 1 year rental. The Lakers could make a decent offer, but why would they? They only have to wait a year and can get him for free. The Clippers may have a chance to sign him, so that may be the only team that might be interested in offering something near his value. The problem is that the Clippers don't really have anything we would want, unless they do a sign and trade with Blake Griffin, and I don't think he would go for that.

Sports Logo

I hope at some point someone asks him to his face about the Lakers stuff. I just want to see his reaction to it, it'll tell you all you need to know.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I hope at some point someone asks him to his face about the Lakers stuff. I just want to see his reaction to it, it'll tell you all you need to know.
    I'm surprised that it hasn't happened yet.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Good read. Also from the article (I thought this was interesting):

“Talked to Danny about a lot of trades, but never did one. I just feel it’s gotta be a fair deal for both sides and we never got there. Maybe he thought it was fair, but I didn’t think so.”

I approve this usage of "fake news". Has always seemed the case around the deadline. Buncha ******** that's usually just "insiders" reading tea leaves and interpreting body language for a few days in late February.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

What's not fake news is that Paul George is adamant about contending AND the Pacers are certainly NOT contending for a long time. We have no decent assets. We have a young promising big and Paul George. We have a pretty good PG. We have no shooting, no rebounding and not much defense. If Paul actually wants to contend he is going to have to leave and he will figure that out soon.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post

I can understand why Larry wouldn't include Paul in the loop if he never even discussed any offers in the first place. Paul certainly seemed concerned that he was though so I would hope that Larry cleared the air with him about it.

Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

You guys don't think PG getting mad about being in trade talks show's that he actually plans to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    What's not fake news is that Paul George is adamant about contending AND the Pacers are certainly NOT contending for a long time. We have no decent assets. We have a young promising big and Paul George. We have a pretty good PG. We have no shooting, no rebounding and not much defense. If Paul actually wants to contend he is going to have to leave and he will figure that out soon.
    Whats interesting is we are 6th in 3 point % in the league.

I still think we can take any playoff team in the East. Miami and Charlotte are our biggest headaches and they're not playoff teams. A good showing in the playoffs and a solid offseason could go a long way.

Coud it be that Paul is having LBJ flashes and feels Larry should discuss everything with him? Larry plays stuff close to the vest and maybe that makes Paul feel slighted? If his play since then is any sign of his "Dark Moments", LB should try to disappoint him on a regular basis! PG has been on a tear ever since the trade deadline passed.
    Last edited by Cousy47; 03-08-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Coud it be that Paul is having LBJ flashes and feels Larry should discuss everything with him? Larry plays stuff close to the vest and maybe that makes Paul feel slighted? If his play since then is any sign of his "Dark Moments", LB should try to disappoint him on a regular basis! PG has been on a tear ever since the trade deadline passed.
    he was struggling the first couple games after the deadline. picked it up the last few tho

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/stor...ana-pacers-nba

Paul George's impending free agency became a key NBA storyline when the Indiana Pacers reportedly entertained pitches for their All-Star wing in advance of last month's trade deadline.

George, who holds a player option for the 2018-19 season, is 16 months away from potentially hitting unrestricted free agency. And the low likelihood that George will make an All-NBA team and qualify for a designated veteran extension means the Pacers would face entering next season with no guarantees they can re-sign George.

A number of variables will determine the outcome of George's free agency. To highlight them, let's take a look at five possible scenarios along with my estimation of their probability:

Scenario 1

George signs a designated veteran extension this summer: 5 percent

This is the outcome that gives the Indiana front office the least heartburn. If George signs the designated veteran extension this summer, the Pacers would have him under contract through at least 2021-22, presuming George gets a player option on the fifth and final season of the extension.

But first, Indiana has to be able to offer the designated veteran extension, and therein lies the rub. To qualify, George has to remain with Indiana and make an All-NBA team this season.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Ford: Ranking top 30 NBA draft prospects
    It's the last Big Board before March Madness. See how Chad Ford's new NBA draft rankings shake out.

Why the Celtics stood pat, for now
    Zach Lowe looks at the dilemma Boston faced at the trade deadline, and what it says about the Celtics' future.
    Though Kevin Durant's MCL injury might open up an All-NBA spot at forward, George isn't necessarily at the top of that pecking order.

LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Jimmy Butler and Draymond Green all figure to be ahead of George in the voting. So too is Anthony Davis if the league and voters consider him a forward now that DeMarcus Cousins is the New Orleans Pelicans' center. That would leave George and Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward -- who could also be eligible for a designated veteran extension -- outside the All-NBA teams even if voters don't think Durant has already done enough to merit a spot.

As Durant's injury reminds us, plenty can change over the final five-plus weeks of the season. So there's a chance George will yet make All-NBA and qualify. In that case, I think he'd sign the designated veteran extension without much drama.

Scenario 2

George is traded this summer: 20 percent

In the event George doesn't make an All-NBA team, or indicates he isn't interested in an extension, Indiana will have a decision to make this summer. George should retain plenty of value around the draft, allowing the Pacers to pick up a strong package of young talent and draft picks to rebuild their roster around the timetable of second-year center Myles Turner, who has shown All-Star potential at age 20.

Still, I think Indiana would -- instead of trading George -- seek to re-sign Jeff Teague and upgrade the bench using either the non-taxpayer mid-level exception or modestly more than that in cap space. The team would hope to compete in the Eastern Conference, which would both satisfy George's desire to play for a contender and improve his chances of making a 2017-18 All-NBA team.

Also, if he's interested in re-signing as a designated veteran, George would have huge incentive to prevent a trade. Before DeMarcus Cousins was traded to the New Orleans Pelicans, ESPN's Marc Stein reported that Cousins' agent, Jarinn Akana, threatened that the player would not re-sign with any team that acquired him via trade. In such a case, expect similar talk from George's representatives.

Scenario 3

George is traded at the 2018 trade deadline: 10 percent

If it doesn't look like he's going to make an All-NBA team by the 2018 trade deadline, George's value will have dwindled. Given his impending free agency, interested teams will probably look at him mostly as a rental who would require a significant midseason adjustment.

In that case, I doubt anyone would offer enough for the Pacers to justify giving up the chance of impressing George enough with a deep playoff run to re-sign him. Only if George is willing to indicate he'll re-sign with a new team is a deadline trade a likely scenario -- or if the L.A. Lakers, considered the favorite to sign George if he leaves, are in playoff position and willing to give up something of value in order to add him immediately.

Scenario 4

George re-signs with the Pacers in the summer of 2018: 20 percent

Essentially, this is the combination of three slightly different scenarios. One is the possibility that George qualifies to re-sign as a designated veteran by making the All-NBA team in 2017-18, meaning Indiana can offer him far more than any other team -- a projected $210 million or so over five years, as compared to around $133 million over four years with another team.

I'm not sure the competition for All-NBA spots will get much easier in 2017-18. While George is likely to play better, having seen his performance decline this season, I'd still project him behind this season's top seven forward candidates. George might need further injuries or players moving position to make All-NBA.

There's also the case where George still re-signs although he's not a designated veteran, taking advantage of the fact that the Pacers can still offer slightly larger raises (8 percent of the first-year salary vs. 5 percent) and a fifth year, meaning such a contract would be worth around $180 million.

A creative possibility would be George opting out and re-signing a two-year contract with a player option for the second season. That would give him another chance to qualify as a designated veteran and otherwise hit free agency with 10 seasons of experience, by which point George could command a larger percentage of the salary cap even if he's not a designated veteran.

Still, if George hits free agency without being eligible for a designated veteran contract, I think Indiana will be challenged to re-sign him. George's displeasure with the Pacers considering trade offers at the deadline is a concern, as is my skepticism that Indiana will be much closer to competing with the Eastern Conference's best teams next season. That leaves one scenario, which I consider the most likely single outcome.

Scenario 5

George signs elsewhere: 45 percent

Though they'll probably have some work to do to clear the necessary cap space, the Lakers can offer George the chance to return home. Even if that possibility isn't appealing, George should have plenty of options to join a contending team as an unrestricted free agent.

Of course, these percentages are somewhat self-canceling. If the Pacers really believe George is likely to leave as a free agent, it increases the chances they trade him, which paradoxically makes this scenario less likely. Either way, considering the possibilities this way should help offer insight into the uncertain future for Indiana and the team's star player.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I don't agree with the percentages, but yes, I think Pelton lays out the scenarios nicely. There's one he missed - that PG would extend this summer without the DPE - but I guess this is in play only if PG really craves security.

What it boils down to is that the Pacers can offer more money than anyone else. 5 years/$210m with the DPE, 5 years/$180m without. Any other team can offer only 4 years/$133m at most. If he extends this summer (renegotiate-and-extend), he gets an extra $11m this year ($16m with the DPE). All very big numbers.

Of course sometimes players do end up choosing other factors, but in the general case I think following the money seems to be the better bet.

Thanks for posting. I also don't agree with the percentages and while I won't argue that Paul has an uphill battle to land an all nba spot I still think it's very possible. The one player on that list that I've seen on others which I completely disagree with is Green. I can't imagine D Green getting an all nba spot with the year he's having. If that happen Paul George would be robbed.

Thanks for posting. I also don't agree with the percentages and while I won't argue that Paul has an uphill battle to land an all nba spot I still think it's very possible. The one player on that list that I've seen on others which I completely disagree with is Green. I can't imagine D Green getting an all nba spot with the year he's having. If that happen Paul George would be robbed.
    Yea, Green is important to the Warriors but he should not get the spot ahead of PG with his stats. Good stats but not enough

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

fluf pos, nothing there that is not speculation at best, and it's written at a standard of a 1st grader and even lacking there.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

As much as I like Paul George's game, I don't think there's any doubt at all that the Pacers need to trade him. First, we know he basically demanded that we get to contention or he walks. Which means he's walking OR we trade him for the best package possible. I would prefer we get something for him.