Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lakers Hire Magic Johnson as President of Basketball Ops; Fire Kupchak and Jim Buss

Sports Logo

Default Re: Lakers Hire Magic Johnson as President of Basketball Ops; Fire Kupchak and Jim Buss

also, the hilarious Magic Johnson protection jokes have started now that they traded Williams for a pick
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 02-21-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lakers Hire Magic Johnson as President of Basketball Ops; Fire Kupchak and Jim Buss

Glad to see that the Lakers will be stuck in purgatory for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    today I learned Rob Pelinka looks just like Rob Lowe and he was also on the Fab Five team (he was not part of the Fab Five)
    He was also Kobe's agent

This can go of two ways either they can be really successful or this will be so bad that Magic, Lakers icon, would be fired.. again(forgot he used to coach this team)

I get real leery of ex players with no experience getting these type of jobs because they were a legend in their playing days sure some work out there are many others that don't and firing them will be hard if not impossible to do if it fails.

The Lakers have nothing to lose at this point with where they are sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    What bad decisions have they made? They were locked into Kobe, this sounds like a quick fix more than anything. They got screwed over by injuries after Nash/Howard, I think Kupchak is a great GM.
    Hiring Mike Brown to succeed Phil Jackson, letting him try a Princeton offense with Dwight Howard at C, trying to make Ramon Sessions their starting PG, signing a washed up Nash to a pretty hefty deal at Damn near 40, hiring D'Antoni to coach a team that had Gasol and D12 up front, choosing to sign Jeremy Lin instead of Isaiah Thomas (who wanted to go there), hiring Byron Scott, drafting Russell over Porzingis, Turner, or Booker, signing Mozgov and Deng to huge deals...

I mean that's just off the top of my head

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Hiring Mike Brown to succeed Phil Jackson, letting him try a Princeton offense with Dwight Howard at C, trying to make Ramon Sessions their starting PG, signing a washed up Nash to a pretty hefty deal at Damn near 40, hiring D'Antoni to coach a team that had Gasol and D12 up front, choosing to sign Jeremy Lin instead of Isaiah Thomas (who wanted to go there), hiring Byron Scott, drafting Russell over Porzingis, Turner, or Booker, signing Mozgov and Deng to huge deals...

I mean that's just off the top of my head
    The argument could be made that they were trying to tank for another once-in-a-lifetime franchise player and it didn't happen. This move could signal that even the Lakers have a limit on how long they can wait for the draft miracle. I suspect the recent increase in the fortunes of the Clippers put some pressure on them.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Lakers family feud worsens as Jeanie Buss files restraining order against her brothershttps://t.co/UJFk1ys7jX pic.twitter.com/SjG8fRE7XL
    — CBS Sports NBA (@CBSSportsNBA) March 3, 2017
    well this is just ugly and I feel bad that it's public

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sounds like a good stable situation for Paul to come into.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

12. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    well this is just ugly and I feel bad that it's public
    This is like the Dodgers part 2 with the McCourts and Magic was involved with that as well too.

I just hope nothing like this ever happens with the Colts/Pacers.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This is like the Dodgers part 2 with the McCourts and Magic was involved with that as well too.

I just hope nothing like this ever happens with the Colts/Pacers.
    It wasn't this bad but it's still pretty ugly between Herb and Mel's widow

^^ He's not smart enough to have been making a joke ......

....... nah.

Sarcasm aside - that's really dumb.

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketba...rown+Sports%29

Rob Pelinka has talked to Kobe about helping Lakers

Rob Pelinka has the inside pipeline with Kobe Bryant, so itís no surprise that heís talked to his former client about being involved with the Lakers.

Pelinka was officially introduced as the new Lakersí GM during the week. Pelinka was the agent to many NBA players ó including stars like Kobe and James Harden ó prior to taking the GM job. He said on Friday that he has talked with Kobe about helping the Lakers.

Follow
    Mark Medina ✔ @MarkG_Medina
    Rob Pelinka said he has "absolutely" talked to Kobe about having possible involvement. Pelinka: "He's 100% behind everything Laker"
    4:23 PM - 10 Mar 2017
    65 65 Retweets 111 111 likes
    Pelinka, Kobe and new President of Basketball Operations, Magic Johnson, will be getting together to talk about the team and league.

Follow
    Mark Medina ✔ @MarkG_Medina
    Magic said he and Pelinka are going to have dinner with Kobe to talk basketball
    4:24 PM - 10 Mar 2017
    57 57 Retweets 105 105 likes
    There will be a lot of championship rings on the table at that dinner meeting.

Kobe has previously expressed a willingness to help his former team, though current coach Luke Walton declined his offer for now, feeling Kobeís tough love approach isnít best for the young team.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/03/27/...akers-trustee/

Report: Jim Buss resigns as Lakers trustee

Jim Bussí fall from power within the Lakers continues.

After Jeanie Buss fired Jim from his front-office position, Jim and Johnny Buss tried to wrestle control from Jeanie.

That gambit has failed.

Nathan Fenno of the Los Angeles Times:

The three siblings have agreed for Jeanie to serve as controlling owner and on the teamís board of directors as long as the family owns the Lakers. On Monday morning, they asked a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge to issue an order to that effect.

According to a person familiar with the situation, Jim Buss resigned as co-trustee Thursday as part of a requirement by Jeanie Buss to resolve the dispute. Her younger sister and staunch ally, Janie, replaced the brother, joining Jeanie and Johnny Buss as co-trustees.

The person said there was no financial settlement with Jim Buss.

So Jim Buss no longer runs basketball operations, is no longer a trustee and received no payout. This is what happens you make bold promises and donít keep them.

But Jim remains an owner of the franchise. This is what happens when youíre born to a wealthy father.

This will end the latest round of drama, but Jimís ownership gives him some ó though far less ó say. The Buss/Laker business is too personal to assume this new legal arrangement ends the drama for good.

Does magic have the patience as an executive.

I remember when he was a coach.......he just last 16 games !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edc View Post
    Does magic have the patience as an executive.

I remember when he was a coach.......he just last 16 games !!!!

Coaching and being an executive are not the same thing. I guess his only experience is being worth $500 million with his various businesses.