Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Political News and Policies

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Political News and Policies

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I wouldn't advocate changing the Constitutional system just because my side kept nominating poor candidates who couldn't win the game.
    I don't really like the Electoral College because I don't see a need for it, but I agree that no Democrat should be blaming the system for their struggles. The rules haven't changed, and they knew the rules when they were developing their campaign strategies, stances on issues, etc.

Neither here nor there, but the political climate of the United States is by far, without question, the most difficult political climate in the world. If for no other reason, our diversity and regional cultural differences alone make it difficult to do things that may work in other countries. Take health care for example. I think healthcare costs here are absurd and think the well being of it's citizens (much like safety) is in the realm of government responsibility. But slapping together something like universal healthcare in a country like ours just isn't practical. What's the answer? I don't know. It's a really hard thing to untangle, even if you remove the nearly insurmountable political ramifications.

And to use the fact that protests exist so therefore it's allowed is more ignorance. You obviously think Tank Man from Tiananmen Sqaurely was a result of freedom of protest. I guess the thousands shot by Chinese military were just uncontrollable rioters.

Read a book.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

We can argue about the EC until we're blue in the face but it's not going anywhere. It would take 38 states to vote for getting rid of it, and that isn't gonna happen.

Less populated states would be voting against their citizens interests. South Dakota (for example) doesn't want California to make their voters obsolete.

Proof the US is a dictatorship according to since .....

@WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    We can argue about the EC until we're blue in the face but it's not going anywhere. It would take 38 states to vote for getting rid of it, and that isn't gonna happen.

Less populated states would be voting against their citizens interests. South Dakota (for example) doesn't want California to make their voters obsolete.
    Exactly. State sovereignty and state importance is a major premise of why the country is set up as is. There's importance to being a state, which the Electoral College recognizes since the President is President of the States.

The fact that Hillary won the popular vote and lost the electoral college really shows the beauty of the system. A candidate like Hillary who is able to jack the totals up in a few high population centers, but who didn't carry a message that enabled her to win enough states means that she shouldn't be president of the states. The extremist Democratic agenda does not work for your average Joe in your average state.

https://panampost.com/sabrina-martin...-bad-to-worse/

https://www.hrw.org/report/2003/05/2...sion-venezuela

How sad that erosions of free speech has been going on for over a decade in Venezuela and you're so ignorant on it.
    Last edited by Since86; 05-11-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't really like the Electoral College because I don't see a need for it, but I agree that no Democrat should be blaming the system for their struggles. The rules haven't changed, and they knew the rules when they were developing their campaign strategies, stances on issues, etc.

Neither here nor there, but the political climate of the United States is by far, without question, the most difficult political climate in the world. If for no other reason, our diversity and regional cultural differences alone make it difficult to do things that may work in other countries. Take health care for example. I think healthcare costs here are absurd and think the well being of it's citizens (much like safety) is in the realm of government responsibility. But slapping together something like universal healthcare in a country like ours just isn't practical. What's the answer? I don't know. It's a really hard thing to untangle, even if you remove the nearly insurmountable political ramifications.
    I am probably not the best to respond especially from my phone. But the seond half of your post illustrates the need for the electoral college especially versus a pure democracy. Without the EC, you would have particular regions or a certain subsection of states effectively running the country. Universal HC or whatever would be decided by the slimmest of margins...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    I am probably not the best to respond especially from my phone. But the seond half of your post illustrates the need for the electoral college especially versus a pure democracy. Without the EC, you would have particular regions or a certain subsection of states effectively running the country. Universal HC or whatever would be decided by the slimmest of margins...
    The electoral college just elects the president. The second part of my post is about the political climate in general, independent of the POTUS.

I'm not going to argue the relative merits of the EC. It is what it is. It's sure as hell not going anywhere. More often than not, the popular vote and the EC are in sync. We may be trending away from that, but there are larger issues to worry about.

https://panampost.com/sabrina-martin...-bad-to-worse/

https://www.hrw.org/report/2003/05/2...sion-venezuela

How sad that erosions of free speech has been going on for over a decade in Venezuela and you're so ignorant on it.

Obviously dictatorship

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/j...visit-47319850

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/o...bama.html?_r=0
    Last edited by vnzla81; 05-11-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

The way the impacts of Obamacare vary by state is really a textbook example of why the Electoral College continues to be such a brilliant system.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The way the impacts of Obamacare vary by state is really a textbook example of why the Electoral College continues to be such a brilliant system.
    Without looking, you can probably just break that down to urban v rural areas too.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Didn't realize harassment was covered by free speech.

Imagine Trump banning Hillary from public for 15yrs simply because she was his opposition.

https://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2017/04/269690.htm

Google Leopoldo Lopez. Guy was convicted of spreading subliminal messages for goodness sake.

I'm surprised you're so anti-russia considering you have so much in common with Putin. You and him when it comes to human rights would be two peas in a pod.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    The electoral college just elects the president. The second part of my post is about the political climate in general, independent of the POTUS.

I'm not going to argue the relative merits of the EC. It is what it is. It's sure as hell not going anywhere. More often than not, the popular vote and the EC are in sync. We may be trending away from that, but there are larger issues to worry about.
    Your political climate point dovetails into arguments for a Republic (states) very well though.

The political climate is what it is in part due to the increase in federalism.

Having NY and California dictate national policy rubs millions raw.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/venezue...nded-1.4036425

Imagine Trump cancelling elections. This tit-for-tat game you think you're playing isnt really even comparable.

Didn't realize harassment was covered by free speech.

Imagine Trump banning Hillary from public for 15yrs simply because she was his opposition.

https://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2017/04/269690.htm

Google Leopoldo Lopez. Guy was convicted of spreading subliminal messages for goodness sake.

I'm surprised you're so anti-russia considering you have so much in common with Putin. You and him when it comes to human rights would be two peas in a pod.
    LOL he got arrested for making his followers kill people, seriously you can stop any minute now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/venezue...nded-1.4036425

Imagine Trump cancelling elections. This tit-for-tat game you think you're playing isnt really even comparable.
    The Venezuelan constitution doesn't allow the call for Presidential elections at this moment doing it would violate the constitution (Presidential elections are happening next year).

LOL he got arrested for making his followers kill people, seriously you can stop any minute now.
    With subliminal messages.

The Venezuelan constitution doesn't allow the call for Presidential elections at this moment doing it would violate the constitution (Presidential elections are happening next year).
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Venezuela+recall+referendum+2016

Tell me more!

With subliminal messages.
    Nope but good try, I think we are done here great talking to another person that doesn't know **** again

Nope but good try, I think we are done here great talking to another person that doesn't know **** again

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=leopoldo+lopez+subliminal+messages

Bye!

Your political climate point dovetails into arguments for a Republic (states) very well though.

The political climate is what it is in part due to the increase in federalism.

Having NY and California dictate national policy rubs millions raw.
    Yeah, I understand that. Not denying it.

What I don't agree with: NY and California dictating national policy. I see some of you touting the virtues of the EC and proof that it works by saying that places like NY and California don't have all the power, yet we have things like this. That's a perception problem, I think. The reality is closer to the fact that they are huge population centers and house a huge percentage of news outlets and cultural platforms, so their voices are louder. Like you said, a lot of people on the right resent it, and towards the more extreme end of that, I think conservative outlets have to veer a little further right to balance the teeter-totter, for lack of a better term. On the flip side, you have liberal minded people seeing all that stuff from media outlets and they think that the vast majority of people think like they do and have similar beliefs, which is obviously not the case. Then they have it reinforced by the people around them. It leads to the nasty arrogance and self-righteousness that I, personally, do not like.

The result of this type of thing is a climate of extremes, which I really, really don't like. I think it's dangerous both ways.

I agree with that. But with out the EC those two states would pretty much dictate the presidency.

It's been mentioned that hillary won the popular vote by 3M. True. She won CA by 4.3M.

Hoosiers and our sub 3M voters might as well stay home.

Straight democracies turned tyrannical has happened throughout history. The whole system we have is setup to avoid it. To ensure every state is heard and has a place at the table.

Is it perfect? No but it's better than mob rule which is what direct democracies are.
    Last edited by Since86; 05-11-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Hillary lost because she didn't care about smaller states who normally vote Dem like WI.

It should be a warning shot to any one thinking of running for POTUS that other places do matter, and that's a good thing.

I agree with that. But with out the EC those two states would pretty much dictate the presidency.

It's been mentioned that hillary won the popular vote by 3M. True. She won CA by 4.3M.

Hoosiers and our sub 3M voters might as well stay home.

Straight democracies turned tyrannical has happened throughout history. The whole system we have is setup to avoid it. To ensure every state is heard and has a place at the table.

Is it perfect? No but it's better than mob rule which is what direct democracies are.
    I'm probably in a pretty strong minority on this, but the main thing I dislike about the EC is that it pretty much eliminates any possible path for a relevant third party to emerge in American politics.

For the record: I'm not saying I'd like to see the Green Party or Libertarians or any other fringe far left/far right movement start getting into positions of power, but something like a Moderate party could benefit the overall political climate imo.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The American political system is broken so far beyond just the EC. Cdash just hit the nail on the head with the joke that is a two party system. It's all ****ed. And your blind if you don't see it.

Also the personal mockery that is happening in this thread is gross. Be better than that. It's why threads like this get closed here.