Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1658

Thread: Political News and Policies

  1. #1626
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,243

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no idea what are you arguing about, the argument has never been for us to live in North Korea EVER.


    It has been explained multiple times (in previous pages) that multiple companies not only get government subsidies but they also don't pay taxes, I don't think is too much to ask for those companies and billionaires to pay their fair share, NOBODY IS ASKING THEM TO PAY 100% OF THEIR SALARIES, that argument has always been created by republicans so we don't debate the real s***.

    So 100 % is too much to take from the rich. How much is fair??? That is a good question but no matter what number you decide on it will not solve one of our nations
    biggest problems.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  2. #1627
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,243

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

    View this and chew on it for awhile
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  3. #1628
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,243

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/danbigm.../#42f97a356e7d
    l
    The US does not have an income problem it has a spending problem.

    So how do we pay for universal health care or "free" college education considering we cannot even afford the programs in place?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  4. #1629
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,227

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Universal health care is the most pro business policy I can think of. It takes that massive cost off the backs of companies. A cost that they have to try and account for every year while giving their employees raises and basically telling them that most of their raise was gobbled up by increases to insurance premiums. Imagine being able to give your employees a one time raise to shore them up to the increase in taxes instead of having to provide healthcare benefits year over year.

    The employer sponsored system is horribly flawed. You have no choice in your health plan. You are at the mercy of the CFO or company owner. Either take the benefit package and costs associated with it or lose the benefits value.
    You also don't have equal access to care for same amount of dollars. One person works for a small business that offers a Bare bones plan, and for the same dollars out of pocket their spouses employer, a large tech company offers some of the best health benefits you can get. In effect your access and healthcare outcomes are directly effected by who you work for. your access is limited based on decisions made by people who are not acting in your best interest.

    Then they have the audacity to now call this benefit compensation and list the value on your W2 as if it was some how your money. When it was never your money and you never had a say in how it was spent. Nor do you get to deduct it on your taxes like your employer does.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  6. #1630
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,654

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/danbigm.../#42f97a356e7d
    l
    The US does not have an income problem it has a spending problem.

    So how do we pay for universal health care or "free" college education considering we cannot even afford the programs in place?
    When you have universal healthcare the government can eliminate and fine tune existing programs. Plus there can actually be some cost controls in place and the middleman will be gone from the supply and demand equation. Contracts can be put into the equation and bid.

    We manage to pay for police, fire, and military. I'm not sure why medical can't be the same.

    As for college.... there's a real question in my mind whether college should carry the weight it does and whether we should be even pushing 'everyone' toward college in the first place. Some people are going to be better off in some type of vocational/trades system IMO.
    As for 'free college' in general, it's an investment.
    But again, with the cost of education out of control, saddling people with serious debt before they even have a diploma is a recipe for trouble.

    We have a greed problem which was always going to be the ultimate problem in capitalistic system. There has to be some safety valves and trip wires along the way to trigger corrections. Unfortunately, our elected officials let it get out of control, let alone in many cases have been in effect, bought off, and beholden more to corporations than to the people and the country.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  7. #1631
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,243

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you have universal healthcare the government can eliminate and fine tune existing programs. Plus there can actually be some cost controls in place and the middleman will be gone from the supply and demand equation. Contracts can be put into the equation and bid.

    We manage to pay for police, fire, and military. I'm not sure why medical can't be the same.

    As for college.... there's a real question in my mind whether college should carry the weight it does and whether we should be even pushing 'everyone' toward college in the first place. Some people are going to be better off in some type of vocational/trades system IMO.
    As for 'free college' in general, it's an investment.
    But again, with the cost of education out of control, saddling people with serious debt before they even have a diploma is a recipe for trouble.

    We have a greed problem which was always going to be the ultimate problem in capitalistic system. There has to be some safety valves and trip wires along the way to trigger corrections. Unfortunately, our elected officials let it get out of control, let alone in many cases have been in effect, bought off, and beholden more to corporations than to the people and the country.

    The problem is we DO NOT manage to pay for police, fire and military and every other program the federal(and some state) government(s) manages. You need to mention them all.
    Greed can be a problem. So can coveting.
    We CANNOT tax our way out of this problem. There also has to be spending reduction and the only way that is going to happen is eliminating some government agencies or programs.
    A government really is not a whole different from your household. At some point your creditors are going to file bankruptcy on you.
    This thread can go on forever and unless both sides of the tax/reduce spending aspects are addressed doom of some form awaits us


    For instance we could eliminate Social Security over a period of years and phase in healthcare. Force people to put that 14.3% currently going into SS into there own private retirement account that cannot be touched until 60 or whatever age. There might actually be something there at the end
    when you want it.

    Do not complain about my solution. Come up with another viable solution to whatever greed/covetous induced program you want.
    Last edited by owl; 09-14-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  8. #1632
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,163

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    There is nothing like watching a white supremacist get mad at another white supremacist



    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  9. #1633
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,163

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    hahahahahahahaha



    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  10. #1634
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,163

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    amazing


    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  11. #1635
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,788

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hahahahahahahaha



    I am really surprised that she's railing against Trump. Can someone TL,DR; why she's attacking him? She's always been Conservative and thought that she would be right there with the Hannity and Alex Jones of the World supporting the POTUS.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

  12. #1636
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,735

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Props to former CIA director Michael Morrell for resigning from Harvard after they invited Chelsea Manning to be a fellow. The lefts lionization of a traitor just because they decided to be a woman is abhorrent and is one of many textbook examples as to why they can't win elections. That sort of behavior is completely out of touch with the mainstream.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-14-2017 at 03:02 PM.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  14. #1637
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,163

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Props to former CIA director Michael Morrell for resigning from Harvard after they invited Chelsea Manning to be a fellow. The lefts lionization of a traitor just because they decided to be a woman is abhorrent and is one of many textbook examples as to why they can't win elections. That sort of behavior is completely out of touch with the mainstream.

    Flinn, Sessions, Mannifort, Trump Jr, etc, etc, I mean if we are going to talk about traitors let's talk about this group of clowns.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:


  16. #1638
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,227

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Anybody complaining about the national debt is just yelling into the wind. This country decided it was okay to print money when ever it felt the need back in Nixon's administration and with the creation of the federal reserve. If they were really concerned about the debt, they would have issued a special assessment on interest rates that are earmarked to paying off the debt. 1% tacked on to everything the goes directly into the treasury to pay down the debt.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  18. #1639
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,054

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am really surprised that she's railing against Trump. Can someone TL,DR; why she's attacking him? She's always been Conservative and thought that she would be right there with the Hannity and Alex Jones of the World supporting the POTUS.
    Trump and the Democrats apparently have or are trying to come to an agreement to codify DACA with border security measures attached that fall short of building a wall.

  19. #1640
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,054

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    No idea whether or not any of this is true, but I talked to an Afghanistan vet I trust who railing about the Bowe Berghdal thing. Apparently, this guy purposely defied orders and went missing, and the military repositioned a lot of its aerial reconnaissance away from detecting terrorists trying to plant IEDs so they could look for Berghdal. According to this guy a lot of good military people died because of that decision.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  21. #1641
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,654

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am really surprised that she's railing against Trump. Can someone TL,DR; why she's attacking him? She's always been Conservative and thought that she would be right there with the Hannity and Alex Jones of the World supporting the POTUS.
    Because Trump is not a conservative. The GOP figured that out long ago, as did the right wing of the GOP. The moderates and center right figured it out just fine and didn't care. The left never has figured out.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  22. #1642
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,243

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anybody complaining about the national debt is just yelling into the wind. This country decided it was okay to print money when ever it felt the need back in Nixon's administration and with the creation of the federal reserve. If they were really concerned about the debt, they would have issued a special assessment on interest rates that are earmarked to paying off the debt. 1% tacked on to everything the goes directly into the treasury to pay down the debt.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no political will to do anything about. People want everything and the politicians want to stay elected. Pretty much a hopeless situation.
    Let the next generation(s) deal with it.

    The 1% will generate money to pay down the debt but takes money away from programs so they will have to take cuts, not slowing the rate of growth but real cuts.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  23. #1643
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    8,031

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Props to former CIA director Michael Morrell for resigning from Harvard after they invited Chelsea Manning to be a fellow. The lefts lionization of a traitor just because they decided to be a woman is abhorrent and is one of many textbook examples as to why they can't win elections. That sort of behavior is completely out of touch with the mainstream.
    It's so bizzare that you say "can't win elections" with every comment. This isn't sports, and the great majority of the American people keep losing.

  24. #1644
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,243

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because Trump is not a conservative. The GOP figured that out long ago, as did the right wing of the GOP. The moderates and center right figured it out just fine and didn't care. The left never has figured out.
    He has done a couple things I am very pleased with. He has strengthened our relationship with Israel and appointed a constitutionally conservative pro-life judge.
    If he can make some kind of DACA aggreement with Dems and secure the border I would also be happy with that also.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  25. #1645
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,163

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has done a couple things I am very pleased with. He has strengthened our relationship with Israel and appointed a constitutionally conservative pro-life judge.
    If he can make some kind of DACA aggreement with Dems and secure the border I would also be happy with that also.
    What? if there is anything Trumpfters tell me they are happy about is how the orange clown is destroying Jews and all that.

    I mean the guy was supporting Nazis not long ago lol
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  26. #1646
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    35,163

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Also Bannon, Miller and others are very much against Israel and Jews.


    Now if you are talking about spiritually because "god is back in the White House" I don't know what to tell you.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  27. #1647
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,003

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What? if there is anything Trumpfters tell me they are happy about is how the orange clown is destroying Jews and all that.

    I mean the guy was supporting Nazis not long ago lol
    No, they like the Jews in Israel. Very hardline rightwing government, fighting the good fight against them infidel Arabs, and importantly, very far away. They don't like the Jews closer to home.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  29. #1648
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,003

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is no political will to do anything about. People want everything and the politicians want to stay elected. Pretty much a hopeless situation.
    Let the next generation(s) deal with it.

    The 1% will generate money to pay down the debt but takes money away from programs so they will have to take cuts, not slowing the rate of growth but real cuts.
    Government debt isn't like household debt. In a lot of ways, the more debt a country has, the richer they are in actual resources.

    Think about it. "Money" is just scraps of paper, or numbers in a computer. The value of money is that it serves as an IOU, it's the government saying "I'll pay you back later" while taking real goods and services in return. Imagine if you can buy anything you want, just by issuing IOU's any time you want to. That's the US government.

    Now hang on, you might say. If I, a normal person, were to issue so many IOU's, at some point the shopkeepers will start to get suspicious and refuse to sell me anything. The US though, is like a really rich billionaire (multi-trillionaire actually) so people continue to accept its IOU's without question. If there's a limit to US creditworthiness, it's nowhere close yet to being reached.

    So looking at the huge debt number, and thinking it's a catastrophe, that's wrong IMO. A more accurate interpretation I think is that it's a reflection of the amount of wealth being invested by people worldwide in the US.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  31. #1649
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,003

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    It's striking to me that so many Americans seem to be against universal healthcare. I've lived in countries with and without some form of universal healthcare, and I definitely prefer those countries that have it.

    There's a big problem in the US healthcare system. The US spends more per capita, and as a percentage of GDP, than any other nation on healthcare. And yet health outcomes in the US (as measured for example by life expectancy and infant mortality) are worse than most other rich countries. Healthcare reform is long overdue.

    Now it might be that universal healthcare isn't the only answer. But it's a system that has proven to work well in nearly every other OECD country. One would think that more people would be open to the idea.

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  33. #1650
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,243

    Default Re: Political News and Policies

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, they like the Jews in Israel. Very hardline rightwing government, fighting the good fight against them infidel Arabs, and importantly, very far away. They don't like the Jews closer to home.
    Israel is slightly bigger than Connecticut with a population of 8 million. Surrounded completely by a billion or so Muslim people with
    millions of square miles of land. Countries who cannot even recognize there right to exist. Nations who have sworn to drive them into the sea. You think they are joking?Wanting Israel to give even more of there land to another Muslim group the Palestinians. Does that not seem just a little odd to you? What is driving this extreme hate for the Jewish people?

    Neo Nazi's and white supremicists hate Jews.

    The left driven divestment movement against Israel hates Jews, it is just cleverly masked.

    Again I ask you what is driving all this hate? Does it not seem odd to you?

    Trump has a Jewish son in law who I suspect he loves very much? Weird huh?

    Would you rather live in Israel or Iran?

    As a minority would you rather live in Israel or Iran?

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    National debt is not a problem? You make it sound good. Sigh.

    Anyway this is my last post in this thread. Too much invective for me and a waste of time.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •