Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Political News and Policies

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Political News and Policies

Voter apathy is a real problem. I can't even convince my wife that it is important.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Voter apathy is a real problem. I can't even convince my wife that it is important.
    Make it a national holiday on a Saturday and a tax credit, boom problem solved

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Voter suppression is like the boogie man. Please provide a legit example of it. I don't see anyone being stopped from voting.

Also, Voter ID in a nation where it's been proven that ACORN signed up dead people to vote...and with millions of illegal immigrants...is needed. If people aren't smart enough to figure out how to get an ID, I don't think they have the necessary sense to vote. I say that having mentally disabled people in my family.

Personally, I don't think a lot of people are qualified to vote or approach it with the correct mindset. To some extent the electoral college is a protection against that but really some people should not be voting. It is very concerning to me that people who cannot even name the former VP are casting their vote. It is very concerning that so many people with terrible judgment are casting votes that control the direction of the country. Personally, I think the liberals should have elected Bernie Sanders. I don't agree with his policies, but he's not anywhere near as corrupt as Hillary Clinton and you just cannot have a criminal in the White House. People should try to be more objective even if they don't agree with a candidate.
    You realize you're calling voter suppression a boogie man while advocating for it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You realize you're calling voter suppression a boogie man while advocating for it right?

Absolutely. There isn't any voter suppression. I realize people get all weird when it's said, but there should be. Some people are not competent to vote. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Edit: I will say that the emotional liberals at least intuitively know that conservatives would like to suppress the vote. But they got that wrong too. Conservatives, at least this one, isn't interested in preventing liberals from voting specifically. I am interested in preventing people who refuse to be adequately informed from voting. If people would step back from their emotions, think and listen, they might learn something. But they don't.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 06-24-2017 at 08:02 PM.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Sports Logo

Absolutely. There isn't any voter suppression. I realize people get all weird when it's said, but there should be. Some people are not competent to vote. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Edit: I will say that the emotional liberals at least intuitively know that conservatives would like to suppress the vote. But they got that wrong too. Conservatives, at least this one, isn't interested in preventing liberals from voting specifically. I am interested in preventing people who refuse to be adequately informed from voting. If people would step back from their emotions, think and listen, they might learn something. But they don't.
    they get weird because you're actively advocating for American citizens to not be allowed to vote based on some nebulous definition of "being informed." who defines that? then the next cycle who re-defines it? this is an outlandish position my guy. I want a well informed populace too, Trump wouldn't be in the White House if we had one, but I'm not about to try to prevent a single person from voting.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    they get weird because you're actively advocating for American citizens to not be allowed to vote based on some nebulous definition of "being informed." who defines that? then the next cycle who re-defines it? this is an outlandish position my guy. I want a well informed populace too, Trump wouldn't be in the White House if we had one, but I'm not about to try to prevent a single person from voting.
    Just as people have to pass a driving test or acquire many types of licenses, people should have to pass a test to vote. The only thing that I would say to the contrary, is that there is important value in allowing all people to vote so they have their input. Problem is, their input isn't actually good. Our society doesn't accept the fact that some are not competent to vote. If it did, it would be completely acceptable and better. But that's not who we are so I get that.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Google North Carolina voter suppression. There are several GOP leaders that have even admitted it.

Just as people have to pass a driving test or acquire many types of licenses, people should have to pass a test to vote. The only thing that I would say to the contrary, is that there is important value in allowing all people to vote so they have their input. Problem is, their input isn't actually good. Our society doesn't accept the fact that some are not competent to vote. If it did, it would be completely acceptable and better. But that's not who we are so I get that.
    So if you can't pass a test and can't vote, does that mean you don't pay taxes? No, because that's stupid.

Some people are one issue voters, and that's their right. So why do they need to pass a test?

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    So if you can't pass a test and can't vote, does that mean you don't pay taxes? No, because that's stupid.

Some people are one issue voters, and that's their right. So why do they need to pass a test?
    What kind of logic is that first sentence? It makes 0 sense.

One issue voters are fine if they feel strong enough about it. But they better be sure they're right. In any event, being a one issue voter does not equal being incompetent and ignorant of the issues...necessarily.

One issue voters are fine if they feel strong enough about it. But they better be sure they're right. In any event, being a one issue voter does not equal being incompetent and ignorant of the issues...necessarily.
    The point is everyone has a right to vote, no matter how educated they are.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

The point is everyone has a right to vote, no matter how educated they are.
    I'm sorry but if you are 30 years old and cannot name the last vice president to be in office, you have no business casting a vote. If you have the ignorant voting, you are not going to have the right people running the nation. Capable people have a duty to be educated.

Edit: I get the emotion. Everybody deserves to vote. They live here in the USA. As a US citizen you should have the right to vote. I get all that. I don't agree with it.

BTW, people have to pass tests to receive a High School diploma. Seems unfair since they need that to get a job, right?
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 06-25-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So for the people who can't get IDs to vote...

Do they buy alcohol? Smoke tobacco? Operate a motor vehicle? Do any banking? Receive medical care or fill prescriptions? Interact with the government at all?
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post

Do they buy alcohol? Smoke tobacco? Operate a motor vehicle? Do any banking? Receive medical care or fill prescriptions? Interact with the government at all?
    People can get State IDs right now and it's not linked to voting. People who have lost their licenses get State IDs. None of this needs to be linked.

Look, I know this is an unpopular view...and yes I am challenging the status quo.

Trump voters would have failed that test so fast.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

I'm sorry but if you are 30 years old and cannot name the last vice president to be in office, you have no business casting a vote. If you have the ignorant voting, you are not going to have the right people running the nation. Capable people have a duty to be educated.

Edit: I get the emotion. Everybody deserves to vote. They live here in the USA. As a US citizen you should have the right to vote. I get all that. I don't agree with it.

BTW, people have to pass tests to receive a High School diploma. Seems unfair since they need that to get a job, right?
    There is no emotion involved here, it's stupid to only let educated people vote. For example, you don't have to know the last Vice President to know that you're voting for whoever plans on keeping coal jobs or Medicaid, etc. Plus, the uneducated have a right to vote for initiatives that would make education more available for their loved ones. The uneducated are usually poor, if you have only well off people making the rules for society then the poor will likely stay poor. You cannot take the voice, the rights of people because you deem them stupid.

This is only an iota of the many issues with your ridiculous opinion to take away rights from Americans.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post

That's not the only thing used to suppress the vote. Voting locations, changing locations, hours, etc.

But to get medication you don't need an ID from the state you're in, plenty of people don't get carded when they get booze or go to the bank. I've been banking at the same bank downtown since I first moved downtown 10 years ago and never need my ID. Imagine if your family has lived in the same neighborhood for 80 years. Having an ID isn't something you use/need.

But the laws are ridiculous. If you mail an absentee ballot, you don't need an ID! But someone who shows up to vote needs an ID. The look at congressional district moving laws, etc. It's not hard to figure out who is being targeted.

This is why voter suppression laws brought on by republicans recently died in the CONSERVATIVE Supreme Court.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

People can get State IDs right now and it's not linked to voting. People who have lost their licenses get State IDs. None of this needs to be linked.

Look, I know this is an unpopular view...and yes I am challenging the status quo.
    See below.

There is no emotion involved here, it's stupid to only let educated people vote. For example, you don't have to know the last Vice President to know that you're voting for whoever plans on keeping coal jobs or Medicaid, etc. Plus, the uneducated have a right to vote for initiatives that would make education more available for their loved ones. The uneducated are usually poor, if you have only well off people making the rules for society then the poor will likely stay poor. You cannot take the voice, the rights of people because you deem them stupid.

This is only an iota of the many issues with your ridiculous opinion to take away rights from Americans.
    Exactly. Not only does anyone arguing against this not understand Starting Line Theory in the slightest, but there is absolutely nothing wrong or democratically-threatening in allowing single-issue voters to have a voice. I mean, a ton of people who DO know the name of the last VP also probably voted on a single issue too.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

how about no taxation without representation? one of the damn reasons this nation is its own? holy hell man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Exactly. Not only does anyone arguing against this not understand Starting Line Theory in the slightest, but there is absolutely nothing wrong or democratically-threatening in allowing single-issue voters to have a voice. I mean, a ton of people who DO know the name of the last VP also probably voted on a single issue too.
    Where did this "single issue voter" talk come from? All I am asking is that people be competent enough to understand some of the basic issues. Just as people need to pass tests the get a HS diploma and therefore a job, people should have to pass a test to put the leader of the free world in office.

I realize it's not the way we roll in this nation. But it's one of the reasons we have orange clown in charge. Even V says that's why he's in power. Not saying Crooked and Evil Hillary is any better but the fact she was nominated goes to show there are a lot of complete and utter morons out there voting for the crook and murdering liar.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

complete and utter morons out there voting for the crook and murdering liar.
    Rather incendiary, don't you think?

Frankly, I didn't find either candidate "murderous". If so, certainly the individual would be behind bars by now. As far as lies and crookedness, I suppose that could be used to describe half of those in Congress, although I believe that the current POTUS probably surpasses anyone in Washington for an inabilility to tell the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Rather incendiary, don't you think?

Frankly, I didn't find either candidate "murderous". If so, certainly the individual would be behind bars by now. As far as lies and crookedness, I suppose that could be used to describe half of those in Congress, although I believe that the current POTUS probably surpasses anyone in Washington for an inabilility to tell the truth.
    Sorry just being honest. I think she has had people killed. Although I think Putin is worse in that regard.

Sorry just being honest. I think she has had people killed. Although I think Putin is worse in that regard.
    You think Hillary Clinton has had people killed? You know that makes you nuts right?

Let me just say I'm no Hillary fan, but how she is portrayed is ridiculous. She has done a lot of good in her life for public service.

I don't find her to be any more greedy than most politicians and businessmen or anymore hawkish than politicos of her time. She is basically Lugar with more of history helping women/poor.
    Last edited by freddielewis14; 06-26-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Lol, just realized the lunatic conspiracy theorists that thinks House of Cards is real wants people tested to vote!

Hahaha, you'd be the first to lose your vote!