Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Paul George on extension: 'I want to play on a winning team' (Indystar)

Default Paul George on extension: 'I want to play on a winning team' (Indystar)

Man you all give Paul such a hard time. Dude is the most talented player to ever wear the blue n gold in the NBA. You all whine about his interviews and accuse him of having bad attitude, but what has he said in these interviews that wasn't true? I'm not gonna get all butt hurt about his comments after a tough loss.

Is it pg's fault that we are with out Thad Young? We are playing playoff teams with considerably more talent than us. We are starting Seraphin! This is just a perfect storm of injury and schedule. Both stuckey and Monta have broken jumpers. Who we gonna beat? This will get turned around. The real problem here is that this team can't guard the 3 pt line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Paul George on extension: 'I want to play on a winning team' (Indystar)

Impossible is nothing.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: Paul George on extension: 'I want to play on a winning team' (Indystar)

Some differences for the Pacers - PG doesn't qualify for the supermax yet, unlike Cousins. (This is due to PG not making all-NBA that year he broke his leg, though actually he's had more all-NBA selections than Cousins). He'll have to make all-NBA again this year to qualify.

The other point is that PG's character concerns (if any) aren't in the same neighborhood as Boogie's. It's still a lot of money to commit of course, but I'd say teams would be a lot more comfortable with PG as the face of the franchise than Boogie.

IMO Pacers would offer the $200m extension to PG should it become available.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That and Larry has an incredibly unlikeable personality even moreso than Paul George.
    Hmm, I guess I've never thought of Larry as unlikeable. He's grumpy and lack's a filter, but that's fine with me. Paul George sometimes seems unlikeable, but just in a young way, doesn't seem a bad guy.
    Danger Zone

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Turn33r View Post

No.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post

I believe he means the first NBA championship as Slick Leonard etc brought the first championship to Indiana(ABA) but at least if this happens I'll be alive to witness it.

Nice thing for him to say not sure I buy at face value maybe when it actually happens.

If a championship comes to Indiana, it won't be PG bringing it. If Turner reaches his ceiling and becomes the number one option, then it will be Turner/PG bringing a championship. Still think PG needs to quit with all the talk and get to work on his game.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Still think PG needs to quit with all the talk and get to work on his game.
    I don't love a lot of his answers, but I kind of feel for PG here. He's interviewed all the freaking time, and always gets asked the same basic questions. It's not like he's seeking out the media or going on Twitter tirades about this stuff. He's asked, and he answers. Sometimes I wish he would give those terse BS answers like Westbrook does though.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Never thought people would get mad at a player for saying he wants to win a championship here...

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I am a little hard on Paul, but only because I think he could be real special if he worked on his driving to the basket game and a few minor things. He has to be one of the most awkward in the NBA when he gets into the lane looking for a foul. It's like he's indecisive and in slow motion at times.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

These interviews are part of the game now. Players are expected to make them to further their brand. It is stupid to us oldies, but it is not going away. So maybe our hope is that if they have to do it....they do it like PG. He isn't saying anything concrete, he has his talking point that supports his current environment, and he is genuine enough.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    If a championship comes to Indiana, it won't be PG bringing it. If Turner reaches his ceiling and becomes the number one option, then it will be Turner/PG bringing a championship. Still think PG needs to quit with all the talk and get to work on his game.
    While I agree with the basic sentiment: ie, "be the change that you want to see"... I think he's in a difficult position being the face of the franchise, the featured athlete in any number of branding campaigns, etc... he has no choice but to take the interviews and answer the questions.

What he should be saying is: "I am not getting it done for this team, and it's on me to get us to a championship".

Default Paul George on extension: 'I want to play on a winning team' (Indystar)

You guys realize that the super max extension is actually a poison pill for any player who signs it right? It essentially garuantees that the team will not be contending for a title. You pay 35 million to Paul George and you'll never be able to add enough talent to contend. Unless you are willing to spend into the luxury tax.

Um really surprised that the owners did try and implement a hard cap. Pretty much every championship team is in the tax!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by graphic-er; 02-21-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't love a lot of his answers, but I kind of feel for PG here. He's interviewed all the freaking time, and always gets asked the same basic questions. It's not like he's seeking out the media or going on Twitter tirades about this stuff. He's asked, and he answers. Sometimes I wish he would give those terse BS answers like Westbrook does though.
    I don't like his answers because they clearly keep him from working on his game. If he spent less time doing interviews, his dribbling skills would improve dramatically.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

Not sure if this has been said already, but PG was done in Indiana the minute Nike decided he was going to get a signature shoe. No way in hell do they let him stay with the Pacers... they'll want him on one of the coasts.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Never thought people would get mad at a player for saying he wants to win a championship here...
    Lots of players say they want to win a championship on the team they are currently on but as a realist it rarely comes to fruition. That being said we would also criticize him if he didn't say it either go figure.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah because clearly PG will never get national ad campaigns with Gatorade, Jeep, Papa John's or get the NBA 2k cover while in Indiana

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I'd be the happiest diehard fan if PG gets dealt to Boston. I do not want him to walk for nothing. And I don't want him to resign for some mega max. Both would kill this franchise. The best move is trading him. We'd probably win the same amount of games.

I'd rather have PG walk for nothing than give him a mega max. So at least I'll be happy there....but we've gotta get something for him. I guess we've got next trade deadline, but value will drop. Nets 2017 1st would be nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    I'd be the happiest diehard fan if PG gets dealt to Boston. I do not want him to walk for nothing. And I don't want him to resign for some mega max. Both would kill this franchise. The best move is trading him. We'd probably win the same amount of games.
    I don't really want to trade PG, but I'd rather see us make a Crowder/Bradley/Nets pick for PG deal than the rumored Brook Lopez or Jahlil Okafor deals.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Yeah because clearly PG will never get national ad campaigns with Gatorade, Jeep, Papa John's or get the NBA 2k cover while in Indiana
    Durant got those things in OKC too, but when his sig shoe sales started dropping he was shipped off to the bay area. These guys make far more from sig shoe contracts than they get from the teams... Nike is running the show now. Sorry...