Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paul George is not tough enough

Default Re: Paul George is not tough enough

truthfully, Simon wants this. This team is a business decision for them. Never bid on Restricted free agents, never spend over the cap, unless it is minimal, and only if necessary in a year we are a championship threat....... the players see/know that crap, the executives they might want see it and know it, and damn, the fans seem to be the only ones oblivious..... Simon has come out and basically said their endgame (only goal) is merely to make the playoffs every year. this team will never tank to acquire talent long term, they will never break the bank for talent, they want to maintain status quo, and make money.... their self imposed policies dictate this. Small market teams can be successful, the Pacers Owners simply have self imposed restrictions which have generally made it much harder, kinda like Notre dame does with football.... it is what it is.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shafty1313 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never would have thought people would legitimately have this type of opinion about the league if it weren't for PD.

I just never would believe it. It's almost astonishing
    I don't care what anyone says. Money, greed, and gambling has an affect on these games. Just start paying attention to the spreads. They do some funny stuff towards the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shafty1313 View Post
    truthfully, Simon wants this. This team is a business decision for them. Never bid on Restricted free agents, never spend over the cap, unless it is minimal, and only if necessary in a year we are a championship threat....... the players see/know that crap, the executives they might want see it and know it, and damn, the fans seem to be the only ones oblivious..... Simon has come out and basically said their endgame (only goal) is merely to make the playoffs every year. this team will never tank to acquire talent long term, they will never break the bank for talent, they want to maintain status quo, and make money.... their self imposed policies dictate this. Small market teams can be successful, the Pacers Owners simply have self imposed restrictions which have generally made it much harder, kinda like Notre dame does with football.... it is what it is.
    I suggest you go over historical DATA which would not suggest but SHOW that we were one of the highest spending teams in the league in the years around and after 2000 WELL in to the lux tax
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    I suggest you go over historical DATA which would not suggest but SHOW that we were one of the highest spending teams in the league in the years around and after 2000 WELL in to the lux tax
    Getting back on topic, I do think we need to go over some historical data. Paul George is not playing like a star, let alone a superstar. This guy was supposed to be one of the best few players in the league. He either isn't that or he isn't trying.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Getting back on topic, I do think we need to go over some historical data. Paul George is not playing like a star, let alone a superstar. This guy was supposed to be one of the best few players in the league. He either isn't that or he isn't trying.
    Either one of those is reason enough to look for a good trade.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Either one of those is reason enough to look for a good trade.
    I think it's the latter. I actually believe he's a very good player. I don't think he's invested and I think it's very important for the Pacers to discuss his future with the team and try to make a fair trade. I definitely do NOT see him being here very long.

Whether others agree or not, i'm curious how comfortable people are with the Pacers paying PG a max contract right now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    Whether others agree or not, i'm curious how comfortable people are with the Pacers paying PG a max contract right now.
    I'm fine with it. Teams around the league know he has the talent to back it up. There will be a lot of teams willing to take on his contract. Maybe less who are able to do that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I was dead set against it both times when JO and Hibbert got super contracts. I like PG better than both those players, but I have always been the one on here to call PG over-rated a bit. I would rather get another star to add beside PG as I don't view PG as batman, but I don't know how you do that without giving up PG. Does PG have the patience to wait on Turner's development? Do the fans?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

You have to, either that or pay two trash players his salary.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

I'd max him out. You have to realize how much the refs affect a players effectiveness in the NBA. Jimmy Butler and Derozan are not getting to the free throw line as much as they did last season. The result? The Bulls probably won't make the playoffs this season and could blow up the team. Raptors were cratering and traded for Ibaka to stop the bleeding.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

How do we always end up with name players where you question their passion or their effort? It really is getting old. We need a leader who brings it EVERY NIGHT regardless of circumstances.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I'd max him out. You have to realize how much the refs affect a players effectiveness in the NBA. Jimmy Butler and Derozan are not getting to the free throw line as much as they did last season. The result? The Bulls probably won't make the playoffs this season and could blow up the team. Raptors were cratering and traded for Ibaka to stop the bleeding.
    Jimmy Butler just got a phantom foul call at the end of the Boston game to shoot freethrows that won the game. But continue..

I'd do the same. Right now I still take Larry for his word that he wants Paul around for a long time. I think that this time next year Paul will be on a long term deal making 33 mil next season and I think it's the right thing to do. That contract will also make Paul impossible to trade next year since due to the way extensions work. Get ready to see Paul George in a Pacers uniform for a long time.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Jimmy Butler just got a phantom foul call at the end of the Boston game to shoot freethrows that won the game. But continue..
    A phantom call. But he isn't getting to the line as regularly as he did last season. Last season Butler was at the line so often he practically had his own band and everything.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A phantom call. But he isn't getting to the line as regularly as he did last season. Last season Butler was at the line so often he practically had his own band and everything.
    Butler's FTA/game last season: 7.1
    Butler's FTA/game this season: 9.6

Shut up, Grimp.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Lebron has nicely positioned himself to where his clout in the players association combined with his off the court endeavors allow him to actually "play" basketball while everyone else has to adhere to certain rules. Paul and many other players would have a monster scoring average too if they were allowed to get away with the stuff Lebron does on the court.
    AYFKM ???

Good God ...........

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    How do we always end up with name players where you question their passion or their effort? It really is getting old. We need a leader who brings it EVERY NIGHT regardless of circumstances.
    I thought Granger had some fire and passion. He just maxed his talent level out. JO tried really hard IMO. He just wasn't healthy and didn't play smart.

Paul is checked out. Dude isn't just too cool. He is uninterested.

I'm sure this is probably mentioned somewhere else here, but this column says a LOT .........

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...blem/98018218/

This is what McMillan told me when I asked him Thursday: Any thought, on an emergency basis, of putting Paul at the four?

“We’ve tried that, but Paul is …” McMillan said, then paused, unsure how to finish that sentence. Paul is … what?

McMillan tried again.

“Um, we’ve tried that some — but no,” he said. “I wish it was that easy, and it really should be, but it’s not.”
    George says otherwise, of course. When I asked him Thursday night if he’d play the four, he said he would. Maybe.

“It might get to that point of trying to stretch the floor,” he said, “trying to speed us up, try to bring something different, something new to this team.”

Those are George’s words about playing power forward. These are McMillan’s: “That’s something he doesn’t want to do.”
    Paul prefers to do his talking through the media, telling his team — through us — that it needs “a spark.” Someone asked Paul if, seeing how you’re the best player, maybe you should provide the spark?

“Man,” George said, “I can’t do everything.”
    Well. Apparently, he doesn't understand that Nate is the coach (IE: the boss) and that he is the employee. If the coach (and Larry) feel that the team would be better if this or that were done - then the players should do this or that. Freakin' prima-donna. If he continues to be this passive about the game, this anti-whatever about moving and playing a different position - then it's probably best to realize that he's NEVER going to 'lead' this team anywhere with that attitude and effort, put his @ss out on the market, get as much as you can for him and move on.

I'm tired of it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Whether or not you agree with the way he's going about it, Paul George is not a 4. He's just not.

There's no benefit in slotting him in that role

Whether or not you agree with the way he's going about it, Paul George is not a 4. He's just not.

I get that, but true stars take up that challenge. Magic Johnson was man enough to play C in the playoffs. What we have with Paul is something significantly less than what we need as a leader. He is just not invested.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

I mainly agree. On the other hand it's disingenuous for Paul to say "“Maybe it’s changing schemes up in how we guard these spread teams,” George told my team’s Nate, not his team’s Nate. “This is a new league, a new NBA. I think we might have to go a different route … as opposed to trying to make changes during games where we’re kind of not really sure how to guard something.”

The Pacers are down two PFs. The coach asked you to play some stretch four to guard other stretch fours due to the emergency and you said no. You no longer have the right to complain about how your team is guarding the stretch four.

EDIT: Just as an aside, PG needs to be more physical regardless of "position." It seems we have this discussion every year. PG checking out and turning soft is the same as Roy's head periodically imploding or CJ completely losing his shot. What I will say for PG is that IF we make the playoffs he always seems to step his game up to another level.
    Last edited by Rogco; 02-17-2017 at 09:31 AM.
    Danger Zone

Playing Paul at the 4 is a stupid idea. It doesn't fix anything, and it takes away your strength in another area. It was stupid when Bird proposed it, it's stupid now.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Playing Paul at the 4 is a stupid idea. It doesn't fix anything, and it takes away your strength in another area. It was stupid when Bird proposed it, it's stupid now.
    What strength does it take away last night? His man kept scoring. I haven't seen lockdown defense on the wing from PG much this year.

I'll disagree with you about lock down defense, but still PG is still clearly the best wing defender on the team and it isn't even close. So the solution to a crappy defense and horrible rebounding is to take your best wing defender and play him in a position where his defensive strengths are negated. He's not big enough bulk wise to battle for defensive rebounds from down low, he's a swoop in rebounder. So you've taken away your best wing defense, put him at a position where he's clearly undersized and doesn't offer a solution to your major rebounding problem.

It was a dumb idea 16months ago, and it's a dumb idea now. And if someone brings up the even more idiotic idea that it creates an offensive mismatch, I'm going to blow a gasket.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.