Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Non-Colts Off Season Thread

Default Re: 2017 Non-Colts Off Season Thread

My biggest issue is that it's been too long since he's coached. Things change and there's no guarantee that he can adapt. You're better off finding someone who has continued to coach.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My biggest issue is that it's been too long since he's coached. Things change and there's no guarantee that he can adapt. You're better off finding someone who has continued to coach.
    He's stayed very involved in the league though. He's constantly watching film, he's at teams practices all throughout the season, and even in the off season he's evaluating talent with his QB camp, which if you watch, its pretty great work. I'd be more concerned about that with say, Bill Cowher coming back than Gruden.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    He's stayed very involved in the league though. He's constantly watching film, he's at teams practices all throughout the season, and even in the off season he's evaluating talent with his QB camp, which if you watch, its pretty great work. I'd be more concerned about that with say, Bill Cowher coming back than Gruden.
    Cowher retired after the 2006 season Gruden left about a year or two after that.

Not really that far apart.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Gruden's never coaching again, it's just that time of year for him to remind people he won a super bowl. Again.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Cowher retired after the 2006 season Gruden left about a year or two after that.

Not really that far apart.
    It's not the length, but rather what they do. The preparations for MNF are much more intense than that of a Sunday pregame show.

It would not surprise me to see Gruden on the sidelines for the Colts within a year. Not predicting it, only saying I would not be surprised. Not at all.
    Gruden definitely has stayed involved with the game. In fact, rather than argue he's lost touch, I could even see an opposite argument that his role since leaving the sidelines has allowed him a bigger picture view that could be used to his advantage as far as either game innovations, reinventing himself, or an old dog learning new tricks by being a sponge to all he's seen.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    It would not surprise me to see Gruden on the sidelines for the Colts within a year. Not predicting it, only saying I would not be surprised. Not at all.
    Gruden definitely has stayed involved with the game. In fact, rather than argue he's lost touch, I could even see an opposite argument that his role since leaving the sidelines has allowed him a bigger picture view that could be used to his advantage as far as either game innovations, reinventing himself, or an old dog learning new tricks by being a sponge to all he's seen.
    If Gruden comes back, I think the Colts are at the top of his list because of Andrew Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I wouldn't be either because Jimbo thinks its a "big name" splash that he likes so much.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...is-interested/

Adam Gase: Jay Cutler is “interested”

With each passing news cycle, it’s feeling more and more likely that Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill won’t play this year. Although the Dolphins have been very tight lipped about Tannehill’s status, the Dolphins are now openly speaking about potential replacements who surely wouldn’t be added to the roster if Tannehill were expected back in a matter of weeks.

On Saturday, coach Adam Gase confirmed that the team has spoken to retired quarterback Jay Cutler, who played for Gase when he was the offensive coordinator two years ago in Chicago.

“One time,” Gase said regarding his own communications with Cutler. “All I asked him was if he was interested. That was it.”

So what did he say?

“He was interested,” Gase replied. “I think he’s just trying to figure out everything. You don’t expect this to happen. I don’t think he looked at our situation like, ‘Oh, this was going to happen.’ So it was a surprise and I think he has a lot of things to think through.”

Gase made it clear that the team will be adding a quarterback, but that who it will be will depend on whether Tannehill is or isn’t lost for the year.

Whatever they do, it makes sense to explore all options in order to get the best possible deal. Cutler will surely want at least as much as Mike Glennon got from the Bears ($16 million per year), maybe more. Perhaps Cutler will accept less if he thinks the Dolphins will sign someone else.

It also could be cheaper to trade for a quarterback. When the Vikings acquired Sam Bradford a year ago, they gave up significant draft capital but they spent only $7 million for the full season.

However it plays out, time is of the essence. And not because the new quarterback will have to learn Miami’s offense. Gase will have to adapt Miami’s offense to the new quarterback, and then teach it to the rest of the team.

That’s how Gase has done it in the past, from borrowing Navy and Air Force plays when Tim Tebow became the starter in Denver to adopting the Indianapolis offense when Gase became the offensive coordinator with Peyton Manning in 2013, to coming up with the right way to get the most out of Cutler in 2015 to coming up with the right way to get the most out of Tannehill in 2016.

Whoever the Dolphins settle on, Gase and the rest of the staff will then devise the best possible offense to suit whoever will be playing. That doesn’t mean it definitely will work. But that’s definitely the way it will happen.

Sports Logo

Terry Pegula owns the Bills

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...f-hard-knocks/

49ers to unveil their own version of Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks, the annual NFL-HBO partnership chronicling one team’s training camp, kicks off its new season on Tuesday night. But the Buccaneers aren’t the only team giving fans an inside look at their operation.

The 49ers have announced that they’re unveiling their own show, entitled, Brick by Brick: all Access with the San Francisco 49ers.

Few details are available about the new series, which will premiere on Thursday. But the trailer features new G.M. John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan offering their thoughts on how to build a franchise, and the show will surely feature a behind-the-scenes look at how Lynch and Shanahan are doing those jobs.

Lynch and Shanahan have already taken other steps to get the fans more involved, including moving fan seating at training camp closer to the action. That’s a good first step toward helping the 49ers grow more popular in the Bay Area, although a much bigger step would be winning more games.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was initially surprised that Cutler gave up a cushy analyst gig to sign with Miami, until I saw what Miami was paying him.

And I have to add Dan LeBatard's hilarious take.

#DBAP

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Falcons' Jalen Collins Suspended 10 Games for Violating NFL PEDs Policy

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nfl-ped-policy

Sports Logo

Peyton becomes an owner, Archie replaces Goodell, Pats expunged for being the Pats

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Peyton becomes an owner, Archie replaces Goodell, Pats expunged for being the Pats

Funny you mention this I heard that Manning would take over for Goodell after he retires(not sure how true that is) him possibly being part owner of the Titans/Saints is slightly more believable after Lil Manning retires.

Mood

Bought an NFL jersey lately?

The top sellers by state, for this offseason:

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).

This doesn't help dispel the argument that Indiana is fairweathered...

Course its quite possible not everyone in Indiana is a Colts fan I figured Rodgers would sell more around here than Brady.