Thread: 2017 Non-Colts Off Season Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2017 Non-Colts Off Season Thread

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have as much optimism in the NFL these days, so I'm assuming this means the Pats will win their next 18 games.

But I'm trying real hard, Ringo, to enjoy this loss and I'd be thrilled to see KC win the AFC, even the SB this year. I've always liked Reid and Alex Smith and I think they deserve it. Not to mention Eric Berry coming back from cancer to injure his achilles - dude can't catch a break. So, since the Colts are gonna be garbage again this year, I'll adopt the Chiefs as a cheering interest.
    Nice movie reference. One of my favorites.
    "THIS IS MY CITY."- PAUL GEORGE

4. The Following User Says Thank You to perryb85 For This Useful Post:

For the last few seasons, every time Brady had a bad game I thought: "This is it. This is when his body starts to break down like EVERY OTHER QB WHO HAS EVER PLAYED!" Then he went and had a great season and deep playoff run.

Favre and Manning were all time greats but their declines came quickly and their performance fell off a cliff. I hold out hope that happens with Brady and Belichick unceremoniously dumps him.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 09-08-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    For the last few seasons, every time Brady had a bad game I thought: "This is it. This is when his body starts to break down like EVERY OTHER QB WHO HAS EVER PLAYED!" Then he went and had a great season and deep playoff run.

Favre and Manning were all time greats but their declines came quickly and their performance fell off a cliff. I hold out hope that happens with Brady and Belichick unceremoniously dumps him.

It saddens me to think of how the end of Manning's career would have panned out had he not had that injury. Obviously he would have continued being a Colt. He threw 55 TD's with an arm that was like 25% of what it was in his heyday. Imagine if he would have remained healthy like Brady.

Brady will decline at some point, but I fully expect another 12-4 Pats season with at least an AFC Title game appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post

And Belichick will absolutely dump Brady too. I still think Brady finishes his career with another team.
    #DBAP

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    And Belichick will absolutely dump Brady too. I still think Brady finishes his career with another team.
    nah, dude'd be 41. maybe it'll be an unceremonious departure but there's not a chance in hell he goes anywhere else.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Brady & Belichick go out together. Whenever that is ......

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That was an impressive performance by the Chiefs. Could be an AFC Title game preview. I'd give the Chiefs a solid chance to beat the Pats in the playoffs if they get home field, but I don't think they'd win in Foxboro in January. Hopefully they don't screw up in the regular season.
    The Chiefs can't even win playoff games at home they haven't in over 20 years.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

I just saw that the ratings were down for the season opener. Bill Simmons had a good article about how the league just isn't as fun to follow anymore. Way too much noise around it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I just saw that the ratings were down for the season opener. Bill Simmons had a good article about how the league just isn't as fun to follow anymore. Way too much noise around it.
    That's part of it also doesn't help the quality of play isn't as good, the drop off in star power when all those players retired in 2016.

And having Thursday games.

It adds up.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    That's part of it also doesn't help the quality of play isn't as good, the drop off in star power when all those players retired in 2016.

It adds up.

I used to get so amped up for the opening of the season, but on Thursday I just didn't care much. It was mostly background to me. Even though it was a great outcome with the Chiefs rolling the Pats, I just didn't feel much for it like I would have a few years ago. The obnoxious off-field coverage and politicizing of the league has just almost ruined it for me. Glad to see I'm not alone. I hope the ratings continue to drop as long as these dark clouds hover over the league.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

It adds up.
    I think the biggest issue was the fact that many standard cable carriers didn't show the game due to not having a deal in place with NBC.

The NFL has managed to **** off both Republicans and Democrats. That's hard to do.

The league just isn't as fun to follow. People want to sit back, drink a beer, and watch sports, and the big NFL offseason stories are off the field issues.
    #DBAP

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

It adds up.
    I thought I read last year the NFL was going to look at getting rid of Thursday games. I am about to sound old, but I miss Sunday and a Monday night game and that's it.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Titans open the season against Oakland with on onside kick. And it doesn't work.

That only works when Jeff Fisher is around.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I thought I read last year the NFL was going to look at getting rid of Thursday games. I am about to sound old, but I miss Sunday and a Monday night game and that's it.
    100%

The NFL, IMO, hasn't done enough to stay relevant to anyone younger than me - who has the time and energy to give Thursday Night games. So instead, you get a "primetime" game that old people don't want to stay up and watch, or it just feels too gimmicky to care.

Add in the political stuff (which I respect as a statement on something directly affecting these players, but this isn't the forum for that) and the unstoppable wave of concussion and brain damage info, and it's become increasingly hard to get amped up for. Those days when John Lynch, Bill Romanowski, Ed Reed, and our own Bob Sanders used to light guys up in the middle of the field and Top Ten highlights were filled with helmets popping off, that's all gone now. It's hard to enjoy watching guys get their brains put in a blender on live TV, then after they retire, they go out murder-suicide style. It really takes a lot of the fun out of the game I remember from my childhood.

Also, Cris Colinsworth. Ugh. I miss Madden, and I'd replace Colinsworth with an actual Turducken in a heartbeat.

I'm trying to stay in it, but even with the NBA being watered down from a title competition standpoint, I think it's a much more enjoyable league right now. From the top down, Silver >>> Goodell, and the best coaches and players in the NBA are far more likeable than their NFL counterparts. The NFL needs the Pats to break up the dynasty, and they desperately need the young guns (Wilson, Luck, Cam, Carr, etc) to finally put this old generation out to pasture.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    100%

The NFL, IMO, hasn't done enough to stay relevant to anyone younger than me - who has the time and energy to give Thursday Night games. So instead, you get a "primetime" game that old people don't want to stay up and watch, or it just feels too gimmicky to care.

Add in the political stuff (which I respect as a statement on something directly affecting these players, but this isn't the forum for that) and the unstoppable wave of concussion and brain damage info, and it's become increasingly hard to get amped up for. Those days when John Lynch, Bill Romanowski, Ed Reed, and our own Bob Sanders used to light guys up in the middle of the field and Top Ten highlights were filled with helmets popping off, that's all gone now. It's hard to enjoy watching guys get their brains put in a blender on live TV, then after they retire, they go out murder-suicide style. It really takes a lot of the fun out of the game I remember from my childhood.

Also, Cris Colinsworth. Ugh. I miss Madden, and I'd replace Colinsworth with an actual Turducken in a heartbeat.

I'm trying to stay in it, but even with the NBA being watered down from a title competition standpoint, I think it's a much more enjoyable league right now. From the top down, Silver >>> Goodell, and the best coaches and players in the NBA are far more likeable than their NFL counterparts. The NFL needs the Pats to break up the dynasty, and they desperately need the young guns (Wilson, Luck, Cam, Carr, etc) to finally put this old generation out to pasture.
    Tom Brady is 40 father time will take care of him.

Wilson already won an SB and Cam appeared in another. However none of these guys have a magnetic personality that gets me to watch them on a weekly basis either.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Tom Brady is 40 father time will take care of him.

Wilson already won an SB and Cam appeared in another. However none of these guys have a magnetic personality that gets me to watch them on a weekly basis either.
    Jameis Winston does. He just isn't good enough, and...the other stuff

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Jameis Winston does. He just isn't good enough, and...the other stuff

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Jameis Winston doesn't interest me either. Honestly outside of habit at this point there's no player or team out there that is must see TV to me.

I mean sure we had our Colts when Manning was here and in the 80s/90s I had the 49ers but beyond those two not many NFL teams grabbed my attention on a regular basis.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Jameis Winston doesn't interest me either. Honestly outside of habit at this point there's no player or team out there that is must see TV to me.

I mean sure we had our Colts when Manning was here and in the 80s/90s I had the 49ers but beyond those two not many NFL teams grabbed my attention on a regular basis.
    he's out for a minute, but if I see the Giants playing I'm watching specifically to see Odell catch something crazy.

I'm with you though for the most part. the NFL is just a really bad product right now, said the same last year, honestly feels like the league plateaued and now in a year or two we're gonna start seeing networks REALLY regret those TV contracts as the NBA rises to its' rightful place upon the throne of America's Game. NBA or DotA anyway I guess.

[QUOTE=pizza guy;2283794]
    and the unstoppable wave of concussion and brain damage info,

I wonder if the above point maybe a big key to the ailment. My kids are grown and have their own kids now so I'm not in tune with high school sports anymore. Is football still popular in high school? My boys played for their high school basketball teams but didn't do football. I didn't say they couldn't but the Mrs. and I didn't go out of way to promote playing football at any level because of the great chance for injury. I can only assume with the new studies parents are really more cautious than even we were. I don't know?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

^^ Sure doesn't seem like it. The local stations still cover HS football the same (probably more) than they have in the past, I still see signs in people's yards about their sons playing -- I don't really see anything that's discouraging kids from playing. Even Jr football seems to be the same as always. Tho if a few parents hold their kids out, there's another that'll take their place and we'll never know that some kids were held out.

The ratings for last week's NFL games dropped a lot with the exception of SNF. The NFL and the media that cover it are obnoxiously political, plus the quality of play has declined.

The NFL and NBA both suck compared to what they used to be.