Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Myles Turner hitting "Sophomore Slump"

Mood

Default Re: Myles Turner hitting "Sophomore Slump"

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The "slump" has been happening all year long I don't see any progress for him this year.

I would also like to compare him to other teams starting centers to see where he ranks.
    Completely false he was clearly playing better earlier in the year and there are plenty of numbers to prove it. That being said I would have liked to see more improvement - he's not much better than the second half of last year.
    2017 NBA Champions

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Smits was booed during games. Myles has certainly not reached that point and I doubt he ever will. Rik was also benched for Greg Dreiling
    Nobody cares about the team enough to boo right now honestly
    2017 NBA Champions

It's funny how many times people talk about players having "sophomore slumps". I look at Myles' production and he's doing quite well. People act like he should be a 20 and 10 guy already. Jermaine O'Neal wasn't that until he was 24 and JO certainly didn't shoot as high of a percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    It's funny how many times people talk about players having "sophomore slumps". I look at Myles' production and he's doing quite well. People act like he should be a 20 and 10 guy already. Jermaine O'Neal wasn't that until he was 24 and JO certainly didn't shoot as high of a percentage.
    JO didn't get hardly any minutes in Portland to be fair.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

I don't think that's really a fair comparison, you'd be better off comparing him to someone who was given the opportunity to play at this age.
    At the age of 20 J.O. was averaged 8.6 minutes and a whopping 2.3 fga stuck behind that deep front court rotation in Portland.
    At the same age Turner is getting 31 minutes and 10.9 fga.
    All of this says nothing to measure how Turner will compare against J.O. who took major strides that most players never make. I seriously doubt if Turner has the career or impact that J.O. had.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    Completely false he was clearly playing better earlier in the year and there are plenty of numbers to prove it. That being said I would have liked to see more improvement - he's not much better than the second half of last year .
    You are making my point.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You are making my point.
    Your point became rounder than a basketball the second you suggested the Pacers need to find a different starter for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Your point became rounder than a basketball the second you suggested the Pacers need to find a different starter for the future.
    Nah that's not what I said but sure.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Nah that's not what I said but sure.

Turner is overrated, hoping Pacers pickup an starting center this off season.

Making my point again I didn't say "for the future" anywhere on that post.

Making my point again I didn't say "for the future" anywhere on that post.
    If you want to find a starting center this offseason, would that not indicate that next season(the future) we would have a new starting center?

If you want to find a starting center this offseason, would that not indicate that next season(the future) we would have a new starting center?
    Nope it means that we have other options, for example healthy Ian is an starting center, Pacers have somebody like that and they are not as bad as they are sometimes (when Turner is hitting an slump).

I mean starting center because Pacers can't afford slumps anymore next year, if Turner plays great good if he doesn't at least you have an starting kind of center ready to be there and replace him (pretty much what the Pacers did by having Ian just in case with Hibbert).

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

In an ideal world, sure. I'd love to collect a few more starting centers.

The reality though is that we only have so much money to spend, and we really need a new starting SG with CJ Miles likely to depart in FA. It's possible though that we'll go cheap and slot in Medium Dog there again, but that's definitely plan B. Even so, starting PF is probably the next spot I'd look to upgrade, plus we could really use some more bench options.

In other words, we have needs up and down the roster, and the three guys who have proven the most reliable are PG, Teague, and Turner, despite their occasional slumps. The sad story of this season is that the other guys on the roster have been even worse.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did you rad my comments (mine as I was thread-starter). Not once I have put any blame on Myles.

I have just noted that his production started to seriously dip by February (and trend continues in March). That is an absolutely natural outcome for a 20-year-old, physically-work-in-progress guy who is asked to do too much for too many minutes.

It doesn't dent his long-term projections, doesn't make him lesser talent... But it puts some blame on Front Office who didn't appear to have a clue about this being LIKELY and PROBABLE to happen. To back Turner up only with no-defense, conditioning-deficient AlJeff was ridiculous. We would have been well-served by having someone like Ian to still carry workload and let Turner play to his strengths with lesser responsibility.

In addition to his slump, it looks like Myles has been asked to pass out to the perimeter more while in the post. He's making passes now that he's never made, and frankly some of them are puzzling. It's affecting his field goal attempts.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post: