Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charles Oakley shoves security guard at Knicks game gets thrown out the building.

Default Re: Charles Oakley shoves security guard at Knicks game gets thrown out the building.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A bully. Good riddance.
    Exactly. It's not like this is the first incident post career. Knicks organization deserves criticism, but I feel like Oakley has a sense of entitlement for being a former player.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

residing in Maryland but Indianapolis born and raised

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Charles Oakley shoves security guard at Knicks game gets thrown out the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post

hmmm like Eric Dickerson
    Larry Bird and Ryan Grigson- wasting the talents of Paul George and Andrew Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    hmmm like Eric Dickerson
    Or as we called him - Eric Dick.............................................. .................................................. ..........erson.

what a piece of ****...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...209-story.html

Former NBA star Charles Oakley said he was asked to leave Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night before any pushing and shoving started with security.

Oakley was arrested and charged with three counts of assault as a result of the altercation during the Clippers-Knicks game. He will be issued a summons to report back to court.

After being released from Midtown South Precinct shortly past midnight Eastern Time, Oakley spoke to reporters in a local restaurant.

“Me and four friends went to the game tonight to watch the Knicks and Clippers,” he said. “We get there, sit down, trying to have a good time. Next thing I know I was asked to leave the building. I asked why, and he said, ‘Well, you have to leave because someone ordered you to leave.’ And I’m like, ‘I’ve been here 4 ½ minutes, I’m a Knicks fan, I played here for 10 years, I love the Knicks.’”

According to police, Oakley purchased his own tickets and the seats were just a couple of rows behind Knicks owner James Dolan. The former All-Star told the New York Daily News he did not taunt or curse at the team owner on Wednesday night. According to ESPN, a fan sitting near Oakley said the former player was being boisterous but did not appear to address Dolan directly.

Things got out of hand, Oakley said, after he was approached by multiple security guards.

“Somebody walks up on you, you gotta protect yourself in all manners,” Oakley said. “I’ve been in situations like it before. I’ve been jumped before, so … if you see seven, eight, nine, 10 walking up on you, you have to brace yourself and be ready for the challenge.”

Though loved by Knicks fans, Oakley does not have a good relationship with Dolan, who reportedly is upset with the former player for being critical of him and the organization. Recently, Oakley is said to have felt snubbed by the team for being left out of its 70th anniversary celebration.

But even after everything, Oakley said, one thing will never change.

“I’m a Knicks fan for life,” he said. “No matter if I go back to the Garden or not, I’m still gonna cheer for the Knicks.”
    This gives Oakley's side. Obviously we dont know for sure if he is telling the truth or embellishing. It also doesnt really excuses his actions, but it still provides a little context from his point of view.

Two sides to every story and usually the truth is somewhere in between.
    Last edited by perryb85; 02-10-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added text from link
    "THIS IS MY CITY."- PAUL GEORGE

7. The Following User Says Thank You to perryb85 For This Useful Post:

Minutes into the 1st quarter he gets kicked out, I don't see how he could have done anything in that amount of time to warrant that security detail. I would be furious too. You should never put hands on anyone, but this situation seems to have started with an awful overreaction by the Knicks.

^ this is what every player thinks (so don't kill the messenger, we all dislike Wade) And between this, Phil Jackson's comments over the years, and who Dolan (no need to be specific here, keeping politics out) supports, how the hell are Knicks going to sign players?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

James Dolan was tossing Oakley out of there no matter what, because he's James Dolan. This is such a huge indictment on the Knicks because no other franchise would have ever allowed something like this to happen in the first place especially during a nationally televised game.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    James Dolan was tossing Oakley out of there no matter what, because he's James Dolan. This is such a huge indictment on the Knicks because no other franchise would have ever allowed something like this to happen in the first place especially during a nationally televised game.
    You dont know that

and i doubt he would toss Oakley for nothing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    You dont know that

are you kidding me? this is james dolan we are talking about.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    You dont know that

Do you know anything about Dolan's personality and his relationship he already had with Oakley? Obviously not.

I don't know who's in the wrong here, and I'm not going to speculate. But regardless of circumstance, i thought the first statement the Knicks released on this (get some help) was completely out of order.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

What a crazy situation...

The Knicks are my favorite team to follow this season

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Remember Rose going AWOL? Seems kinda quaint now.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    I don't know who's in the wrong here, and I'm not going to speculate. But regardless of circumstance, i thought the first statement the Knicks released on this (get some help) was completely out of order.
    Yeah they made him sound like a substance addict or mentally ill malcontent of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Yeah they made him sound like a substance addict or mentally ill malcontent of some kind.
    I think they straight up said he has problems with abusing alcohol and anger issues didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I think they straight up said he has problems with abusing alcohol and anger issues didn't they?
    Anger issues have been an issue for Oak for a long time. Didn't know about the alcohol though. Hard to tell though, Americans drink a lot. An alcohol abuser is a person whose drinking is out of their control and you can see it in their body. Oak from what I saw didn't look obese, out of shape, or haggard. Just... old.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Dolan said something like "he's got some problems, maybe with alcohol, I don't know" that's not the direct quote but it was just like when he responded to that random fan email and told the guy he'd never done anything positive in his life and go root for the Nets and "maybe you have an alcohol problem." it seems to be his go to thing.

fwiw, Oakley's said he doesn't drink. except wine, because "that's not alcohol." he didn't look drunk in the video to me, just looked like mean *** Oak.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel, Reg! Haha!

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...ler-1.13105948

(Sorry, not going to format out the entire thing to quote here, would take too long. Good read though!)

I really think they are making this something out of nothing. This story should have been dead after he got kicked out. What's the point of pressing charges? Waste of time

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/13/...d-back-to-msg/

After James Dolan, Charles Oakley meet together with Adam Silver, Oakley invited back to MSG

Apparently what James Dolan needed was an adult in the room. Or a couple of adults, one on the phone.

In the wake of Knicks legend Charles Oakley being thrown out of a Knicks game last week and being arrested after a scuffle with security guards — a situation where the Knicks’ owner looked petty and lost in public perception after saying this was all on Oakley and the former player may have a drinking problem — the two men got called to the principal’s office, er… NBA Commissioner Adam Silver’s office. Then they got Michael Jordan on the phone.

Silver released this statement.

“It is beyond disheartening to see situations involving members of the NBA family like the one that occurred at Madison Square Garden this past week. In an effort to find a path forward, New York Knicks owner Jim Dolan, Charles Oakley, and I met today at the league office, along with Michael Jordan, who participated by phone.

“Both Mr. Oakley and Mr. Dolan were apologetic about the incident and subsequent comments, and their negative impact on the Knicks organization and the NBA. Mr. Dolan expressed his hope that Mr. Oakley would return to MSG as his guest in the near future.

“I appreciate the efforts of Mr. Dolan, Mr. Oakley and Mr. Jordan to work towards a resolution of this matter.”

Translated: This looked bad for the league so I forced a detente.

Oakley will be brought back to the Garden soon, which was really the only outcome where Dolan didn’t look like a complete… you fill in the derogatory term of choice. There are a lot that fit. I like that Silver stepped in and called on the big gun in Jordan to get this worked out. Oakley doesn’t have to like Dolan (just like most Knicks fans) and Dolan doesn’t have to like Oakley, but at least be civil. It’s not that hard.

In this situation the right thing to do was for Silver to step in.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/15/...ter-mentality/

Draymond Green: Jim Dolan’s treatment of Charles Oakley rooted in ‘slavemaster mentality’

Draymond Green pointed to the racist undertones of the fan-player dynamic when discussing an Oklahoma City heckler.

Now, the Warriors forward is pointing out the racist undertones of the owner-player dynamic. His example: James Dolan-Charles Oakley.

Oakley played several years for the Knicks while the Dolan family owned the team. Oakley was an enforcer who brought immense physicality to the game — helping New York win. Eventually, the Knicks traded him, his contract expired, and he moved on into retirement.

Since, Oakley has publicly criticized Dolan, leading up to Oakley’s violent ejection from Madison Square Garden last week. Dolan and the Knicks responded with a series of statements Oakley said hurt him deeply.

Green, via Marcus Thompson II of The Mercury News:

“You doing it for me, It’s all good,” Green said. “You doing it against me … you speaking out against my organization, it’s not good anymore? That’s a slave mentality. A slave master mentality. That’s ridiculous. It was all fine and dandy when he was laying people out, taking fines and all this stuff for your organization. But now all of a sudden when he says something that he feels, it’s a problem.”

This is not calling Dolan racist.

This is a comment within a reality: Nearly all NBA owners are white, and most NBA players are black.

Of course players are highly paid. Nobody is comparing their wages to slaves’. It’s Dolan’s mentality that Green is exploring.

Oakley stopped working for the Knicks nearly two decades ago. But Dolan still attempts to control Oakley through vindictive statements. In Oakley’s telling, Dolan went even further by having Oakley ejected for no just reason. (Dolan said Oakley was belligerent, causing the ejection.) Either way, there appears to be no real compassion for someone whose forcefulness helped make Dolan money. The Knicks got what they could from Oakley, and now that’s he’s not spouting the company line, they disparage him

Dolan doesn’t have to like Oakley’s criticism of him. But at a certain point, Dolan should also realizes how his harsh jabs at a former former employee — who excelled at the job — fit into the greater context.