Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Indianapolis Colts Off-season thread

Default Re: 2017 Indianapolis Colts Off-season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure why everyone gets upset with Irsay. This is how he is; he's enthusiastic and passionate about winning. Sure he needs to spend less time on Twitter, but I don't really mind. It's much better than Simon, whose apathy prevents me from ever believing the Pacers will compete for a title.

Its nice that Irsay cares but one would think he would've learned his lesson from past years about writing checks he can't cash either.

I don't see why its so terrible to suggest we can't have an owner that is in the middle when it comes to Irsay/Simon approach(at least in the public eye)

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/...1-ab6ff894b93d

Bob Sanders Among Pennsylvania Sports Hall Of Fame’s Class Of 2017

Intro: Bob Sanders, the hard-hitting Indianapolis Colts safety and former NFL Defensive Player of the Year, will be among several former standout athletes, coaches and executives inducted into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame this year.
    INDIANAPOLIS — Bob Sanders remains a legend wherever he goes.

And now, he will be immortalized in his home state, where he was an all-state high school football player who dominated on both sides of the ball.

VIDEO LOADING
    WE'RE SORRY, BUT THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE.
    WATCH MORE VIDEOS
    REPLAYNew Era Championship Moments: Bob Sanders 00:00/00:52
    Sanders, the great former Indianapolis Colts safety, will be among several other great athletes, coaches and executives who will be inducted into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame during an Oct. 28 ceremony in Williamsport, Pa., according to GoErie.com.

Sanders was known to provide an instant boost on every team he played for — and at every level. He wasn’t the biggest player on the field, standing at 5 foot 8 and about 210 pounds by the time he reached the NFL, but his speed, ball skills and big-hitter mentality made up for all of that.

He was a legend at Cathedral Prep in Erie, Pa., where he was a standout running back and safety. He really blossomed his junior year, earning third-team All-State honors, and took it even further his senior year, when he was named first-team All-State. That year, he rushed for 17 touchdowns as the team’s running back and was also a huge factor on defense, flying around and making plays all over the field for the Ramblers.

While Sanders didn’t get a ton of attention from notable Division I programs — he was originally set to play at Ohio University in the Mid-American Conference — he eventually caught the eye of the Big Ten Conference’s University of Iowa, where he didn’t take long to make an impact, being named Honorable Mention All-Big Ten his freshman year. By his senior season, he was a second-team All-American.

The Indianapolis Colts came calling next, selecting Sanders in the second round with the 44th-overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.

He would go on to become one of the most beloved players in franchise history.

Nicknamed “The Eraser” by Hall of Fame head coach Tony Dungy for his knack for making plays and canceling out his other teammates’ potential mistakes, Sanders would become a two-time Pro Bowl selection and two-time First-Team All Pro during his time in Indianapolis. He made key plays in big games, too, notching a big forced fumble and an interception each in the team’s 29-17 victory over the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI.

But Sanders’ crowning achievement as an individual player came the next year. He totaled 96 tackles, 3.5 sacks, two interceptions and six passes defenses in 15 total games and was named the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year, becoming only the fourth safety in league history to earn that honor.

Sanders would play in parts of seven seasons in Indianapolis before playing two games in his final year in 2011 with the San Diego Chargers. Unfortunately for Sanders — and his fans, teammates and coaches — his true potential was perhaps never reached due to a multitude of injuries suffered throughout his career.

Sanders becomes the eighth player with Colts ties to be inducted into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame, according to the organization’s website. Previous Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts inductees include:

• Glenn Ressler, tackle (1980 inductee)
    • John D. Yohn, linebacker (1987 inductee)
    • Ron Solt, guard (2005 inductee)
    • Alex Sandusky, guard (2010 inductee)
    • Sam Havrilak, running back/wide receiver/quarterback/defensive back/tight end (2012 inductee)
    • Stephen J. Smear, defensive tackle (2013 inductee)
    • James Mungro, running back (2016 inductee)

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    He will have to miss the induction ceremony due to an injury though....
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm not sure why everyone gets upset with Irsay. This is how he is; he's enthusiastic and passionate about winning. Sure he needs to spend less time on Twitter, but I don't really mind. It's much better than Simon, whose apathy prevents me from ever believing the Pacers will compete for a title.
    Irsay tanked for Luck

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Irsay tanked for Luck

I don't agree that they tanked a lot of those games were closer than people remember(well except that Saints one obviously) I also find it hard to believe others namely Polian and various vets that were also cut after that season would risk their jobs for Luck to be drafted.

I do think Irsay already made up his mind that he was going to cut Manning way before we clinched the #1 pick however.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I don't agree that they tanked a lot of those games were closer than people remember(well except that Saints one obviously) I also find it hard to believe others namely Polian and various vets that were also cut after that season would risk their jobs for Luck to be drafted.

I do think Irsay already made up his mind that he was going to cut Manning way before we clinched the #1 pick however.
    they played Curtis Painter through week 14. never tried to get any random QB that didn't get benched in college. they tanked. I'm not complaining, it was smart. but I'm not gonna stand for Simon slander. the NBA obviously has a salary cap, the Pacers have had cap space like twice in my entire life. feel free to argue about the who/what/when/why of that, but it's not cuz the Simons got cheap, Herb and Mel (RIP) never pulled any Bob Sarver ****.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 06-11-2017 at 06:04 AM.

they played Curtis Painter through week 14. never tried to get any random QB that didn't get benched in college. they tanked. I'm not complaining, it was smart. but I'm not gonna stand for Simon slander. the NBA obviously has a salary cap, the Pacers have had cap space like twice in my entire life. feel free to argue about the who/what/when/why of that, but it's not cuz the Simons got cheap, Herb and Mel (RIP) never pulled any Bob Sarver ****.
    They did get Kerry Collins but he got hurt a few games later it was only then they put in Curtis Painter. This team was dependent on a QB and its was exposed.

I think a lot of those games we would've won with a competent QB. I wouldn't put it past Irsay I just don't buy that the rest of the team would willingly lose their jobs over drafting a dude that meant the end of their careers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

RWB

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    He will have to miss the induction ceremony due to an injury though....
    He made it to the ceremony but tore his bicep lifting the plaque they gave him. He's out of action until January.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    He made it to the ceremony but tore his bicep lifting the plaque they gave him. He's out of action until January.
    Polian said if it was the playoffs he'd be available, but they are going to take it day to day and play it cautiously before allowing him to lift another plaque.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Kerry Collins was a washed up bum. If he is your starting QB, you are not trying to win. If Curtis Painter is the backup, you are not trying to win games
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is sad.

Sports Logo

So Luck still ain't throwin...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Kerry Collins was a washed up bum. If he is your starting QB, you are not trying to win. If Curtis Painter is the backup, you are not trying to win games
    The Colts never invested in a quality backup when Manning was here they took for granted that he didn't miss a game until his last year here.

The Colts didn't make that mistake with Luck.

So Luck still ain't throwin...

I think he's hurt more than we are lead to believe but Jimbo is blowing smoke about plural Lombardis etc

I'm not particularly worried at this point. There's recovery time needed for the surgery and he's still on course. If it's reg season start time and he's not ready then that's more worrisome
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'm not particularly worried at this point. There's recovery time needed for the surgery and he's still on course. If it's reg season start time and he's not ready then that's more worrisome
    I'm in between... I'm not overly concerned but the needle is starting to move that direction. I'd like to actually hear about some progress or even being ahead of schedule. There's a lot of waiting going on now....

------

-John Wooden

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

How can we fans not be worried that our quarterback isn't working in minicamp. Luck's injury was not communicated. Peyton's injury status was not communicated. STH need to renew and that gets in the way. I would not be surprised if we find out Luck was 80% of his power next year and thus is even more inaccurate. I am worried we won't get Luck till November.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bostic and Spence starting I presume?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

AKA Special teams.

The only thing keeping me from getting extremely excited is this Luck injury.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    How can we fans not be worried that our quarterback isn't working in minicamp. Luck's injury was not communicated. Peyton's injury status was not communicated. STH need to renew and that gets in the way. I would not be surprised if we find out Luck was 80% of his power next year and thus is even more inaccurate. I am worried we won't get Luck till November.
    Yeah, it would be nice to get a status report that says the timetable for this surgery says he should be 'here' and he's 'wherever' in comparison. Good or bad...

But also, if he's not yet throwing, exactly what does that mean for arm strength and accuracy for the coming season, even if he does start the first game?
    And at what point is starting the first game actually in jeopardy? Is it already a concern behind closed doors or is that just paranoia?

------

-John Wooden

Obviously, I hope his recovery is going as planned, but does anyone else just find themselves wondering why they should even care about this upcoming season? Chuck Pagano is still our coach, our defense is only going to improve so much after being historically awful, and New England is still blocking everyone's path to the Super Bowl. Just seems like too many dead ends to get worked up over anything.

Ballard has me excited. Not necessarily for this year as much as upcoming years. He seems to understand how to build a team, and while it's not likely we'll do much damage this year, the possibility of us getting traction into the playoffs starting next year is going to be exciting.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Obviously, I hope his recovery is going as planned, but does anyone else just find themselves wondering why they should even care about this upcoming season? Chuck Pagano is still our coach, our defense is only going to improve so much after being historically awful, and New England is still blocking everyone's path to the Super Bowl. Just seems like too many dead ends to get worked up over anything.
    I'm not worked up I don't think others are either. Most people think this is a transition year anyways. I think people are excited about the Colts because its football season and its their team and you look forward to it regardless of how good they are.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's some bad news for everyone.