Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Indianapolis Colts Off-season thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2017 Indianapolis Colts Off-season thread

I was just looking at the list of Free Agents. Some really nice names. Is it wrong to think Ballard might target Eric Berry? I like Ingram from San Diego too.

Default Re: 2017 Indianapolis Colts Off-season thread

He doesn't have to go for a home run. He needs a bunch of singles. There's so damn many weak spots on this team - even someone like Berry isn't going to make that much of an impact on D. They need like 5 or 7 guys.

And then there's the offense ..........

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He doesn't have to go for a home run. He needs a bunch of singles. There's so damn many weak spots on this team - even someone like Berry isn't going to make that much of an impact on D. They need like 5 or 7 guys.

And then there's the offense ..........
    I agree. The exceptions I'd be willing to make is passing on a stop gap signing or two if the Colts could find an under valued edge rusher (good luck) or more likely an undervalued run stuffing DT. They just need to be able hang there hat on something on the defensive side of the ball next year. Find some way to get opposing teams off the field more often next year and Luck will figure out the rest.

Jeff Saturday mentioned this on ESPN a while ago, and I agree with him - stop having Luck do 7-step dropbacks every other play. That surely isn't helping with him staying upright. Work on getting the ball out of his hands faster, while still keeping the vertical passing game as an integral part of our offense. In addition to that, sign either a starting right guard or right tackle in free agency. Gore is getting old, and a runner like Dalvin Cook doesn't come around too often, so if we can get Melvin Ingram to sign with us that would be perfect: we get a very good pass rusher, and that frees us up to draft Cook. As far is draft picks go, I really like who we take in the first three round of WalterFootball NFL mock draft (Cook in the 1st, Tim Williams in the 2nd, Raekwon McMillan in the 3rd).

Ideal Offseason Scenario
    1) sign a starting right guard or right tackle (FA)
    2) sign Melvin Ingram to boost our pass rush (FA)
    3) draft Dalvin Cook to replace Frank Gore (draft)
    4) draft Tim Williams as another pass rusher (draft)
    5) draft Raekwon McMillan to solidify linebackers (draft)
    Last edited by adamscb; 02-18-2017 at 04:51 PM.

I'm not really saying should they ( even though i would like to see them go after him ). I'm just thinking since he's from KC, he might go after Berry.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    I'm not really saying should they ( even though i would like to see them go after him ). I'm just thinking since he's from KC, he might go after Berry.
    There's speculation that Chiefs have to decide between Berry and Poe. I'd prefer the big NT/QB...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    There's speculation that Chiefs have to decide between Berry and Poe. I'd prefer the big NT/QB...
    Poe's back is shot and is going to be a crippling contract

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Poe's back is shot and is going to be a crippling contract
    I didn't say at any cost, if he comes cheaply or on a short contract...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So what are the thoughts on Melvin Ingram?

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapoli...ts-open-market

I'd be pretty surprised if we dished out any massive contracts in free agency. Seems to go against Ballard's philosophy, but we'll see.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'd be pretty surprised if we dished out any massive contracts in free agency. Seems to go against Ballard's philosophy, but we'll see.
    He could go after "culture" acquisitions though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    He could go after "culture" acquisitions though.
    That's an interesting line of thought. If "culture" translates to leadership, it could be a good idea.

Based on everything he's said, it seems we'd likely stick with drafting. I'm very much open to trading down and acquiring more picks, because we've got a lot of holes on that defense. I'd be ok with resigning Jack Doyle and maybe even Adams for a year.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I like Melvin Ingram a lot. Great edge rusher. Free's us up to get a younger guy in a different position in the draft.

Welp, here we go offseason.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

Welp, here we go offseason.
    According to an article from stampede blue, he led the league in missed tackles the last 2 seasons. Glad to hear we are already cutting the dead weight grigson deals.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...all-cylinders/

Jim Irsay says coach, new G.M. are “clicking on all cylinders”

He would have said the team is running like a “fine-tuned machine,” but that phrase already has been used this week.

Instead, Colts owner Jim Irsay took to Twitter to declare that his head coach, Chuck Pagano, and new G.M., Chris Ballard, are “clicking on all cylinders.” Irsay added that quarterback Andrew Luck “is healing” and that there are “great things to come.”

And so Irsay continues to set the bar high, even as his team consistently fails to come close to meeting it. Irsay has said that he expects multiple Super Bowl wins during the career of Luck. Through five seasons, the team has one AFC title game appearance and, for the last two years, no playoff games.

While the Colts have found a long-term quarterback, they lack the kind of complementary talent necessary to contend for championships. Peyton Manning had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edgerrin James, Marcus Pollard, Dallas Clark, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, and more. The Colts have a long way to go to duplicate that roster, and it will be Ballard’s job to do that which former G.M. Ryan Grigson failed to accomplish.

Sports Logo

Waiting on the Art Jones release. And then him having 10 sacks for the Pats next year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Good lets get Jones and Dwayne Allen out too.

I could see Allen getting the axe.... Between $$, production, and Doyle, he could be on the wrong end of the equation. Although how it fits in with the team and culture is an unknown ingredient.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I could see Allen getting the axe.... Between $$, production, and Doyle, he could be on the wrong end of the equation. Although how it fits in with the team and culture is an unknown ingredient.
    I can see it happening for the money, but Allen is still an excellent blocker and who knows if we are going to bring Doyle back. Someone could come in and give him a substantial amount of money. If we do release Allen are we comfortable with Swoope stepping into that second tight end role.

I do not get Allen at all. He is by far more talented than Doyle and should have been able to do what he did. Did he just rest on his laurels after getting paid or did we just continue to use him as a blocker and let Doyle be the more receiving TE.

I have to imagine we make a few free agent signings as we have to many holes on this team to completely rely on the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I can see it happening for the money, but Allen is still an excellent blocker and who knows if we are going to bring Doyle back. Someone could come in and give him a substantial amount of money. If we do release Allen are we comfortable with Swoope stepping into that second tight end role.

I do not get Allen at all. He is by far more talented than Doyle and should have been able to do what he did. Did he just rest on his laurels after getting paid or did we just continue to use him as a blocker and let Doyle be the more receiving TE.

I have to imagine we make a few free agent signings as we have to many holes on this team to completely rely on the draft.
    Allen is overpaid. He is paid like an all pro TE, but compared to the elite TE's like Kelce, Allen isn't very good. Disappears in many games, and also doesn't have very good hands
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

This team has so many holes, that one big FA signing won't be enough to really change the defense. This upcoming season will be a rebuilding year. I would expect Ballard to upgrade the offensive and defensive lines with the draft and free agency. It all starts with Luck, and you have to keep him upright. Fix that crappy offensive line, and this should be enough to win the AFC South. Now actually having a complete roster to compete with NE, this is going to take a few years to build up the defense.
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This team has so many holes, that one big FA signing won't be enough to really change the defense. This upcoming season will be a rebuilding year. I would expect Ballard to upgrade the offensive and defensive lines with the draft and free agency. It all starts with Luck, and you have to keep him upright. Fix that crappy offensive line, and this should be enough to win the AFC South. Now actually having a complete roster to compete with NE, this is going to take a few years to build up the defense.
    I don't think there's enough time left in the Brady era to build a team that can seriously compete with NE. We should be aiming to be a contender again in 3-4 years, when Brady's retired and the Patriots take a step (even a small one) back. Hopefully they won't have 8 championships by then.
    2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS & 2010 AFC CHAMPIONS

1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, & 1987 NCAA CHAMPIONS & 2002 NCAA FINALISTS
    1970, 1972, & 1973 ABA CHAMPIONS & 2000 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I would expect Ballard to upgrade the offensive and defensive lines with the draft and free agency.
    Concentrate on defense. The O-line started to come together quite nicely the 2nd half of the season. It takes these guys a while to learn all the schemes and to react to each other. The # of times that Luck got hit (and/or pressured) dropped noticeably about half way thru the season. And the running game improved at the same time. Not a coincidence. D-Line, secondary. Lots of work to do there. Might even have to start looking for a RB too. But I'm good with the O-line pretty much as it is now. Sure - it can always be improved, but I'd rather see those other areas go from putrid to acceptable first.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post: