Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Indianapolis Colts Off-season thread

Sports Logo

Default Re: 2017 Indianapolis Colts Off-season thread

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeForPresident View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Noticed how Robert Mathis was at the Colts local pro day and how he's supposed to announce the second round draft pick in two weeks. Wonder if he has (or will have) a role with the Colts.
    he'd be outstanding in a community outreach role, just any public facing position

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

So I'm reading all this about Luck's shoulder and the surgery. And how he and the Colts put it off last year. And how he finally made the decision to have the surgery.
    But what is not being said (that I've seen) is why there was disagreement about it in the first place?

Perhaps it's still true to some degree that you want to avoid surgery if you can, but in the modern era of medicine and micro-surgerical techniques, and for a lingering issue, why was there still concern about surgery versus rehab and natural healing?

IOW, should we be concerned?
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    So I'm reading all this about Luck's shoulder and the surgery. And how he and the Colts put it off last year. And how he finally made the decision to have the surgery.
    But what is not being said (that I've seen) is why there was disagreement about it in the first place?

Perhaps it's still true to some degree that you want to avoid surgery if you can, but in the modern era of medicine and micro-surgerical techniques, and for a lingering issue, why was there still concern about surgery versus rehab and natural healing?

IOW, should we be concerned?

This is what Manning did with his neck kept putting it off (surgery) until it got to the point where it was necessary.

If anything I wonder who does the contracts with the Colts it sounds like he had this issue and the Colts still signed him to that contract. Very similar to Manning before he was out for the season.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

I wonder if next year there will be a 30 for 30 on Manning/Leaf with it being the 20th anniversary of that draft.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I wonder if next year there will be a 30 for 30 on Manning/Leaf with it being the 20th anniversary of that draft.
    eh, maybe if Leaf ever did anything at all in the NFL. he obviously didn't so there's not a whole lot to delve into other than the pre-draft debate (that wasn't really ever a debate I don't think).

Edge over Ricky Williams would be a fun one, Polian never gets the credit he deserves for that, but they already did one on Ricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    eh, maybe if Leaf ever did anything at all in the NFL. he obviously didn't so there's not a whole lot to delve into other than the pre-draft debate (that wasn't really ever a debate I don't think).

Edge over Ricky Williams would be a fun one, Polian never gets the credit he deserves for that, but they already did one on Ricky.
    They could compare Leaf to Manning at various stages of Manning's career. A real chasm exists between the two as far as how their life went after that draft. You'd have Manning accepting MVP awards and Leaf in rehab or jail or whatever place his downward spiral would put him. And now you'd have Manning walking off into the sunset with another SB and Leaf at wherever he is today.
    Didn't I see some life turnaround story for him the other day? That might make a nice ending with both finding the own kind of peace with life in the end if that's where things are now for Leaf.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    They could compare Leaf to Manning at various stages of Manning's career. A real chasm exists between the two as far as how their life went after that draft. You'd have Manning accepting MVP awards and Leaf in rehab or jail or whatever place his downward spiral would put him. And now you'd have Manning walking off into the sunset with another SB and Leaf at wherever he is today.
    Didn't I see some life turnaround story for him the other day? That might make a nice ending with both finding the own kind of peace with life in the end if that's where things are now for Leaf.
    unless they get into Peyton's "indiscretions," teabagging or whatever it was a trainer at Rocky Top and getting it covered up, the rumors about his fidelity, the PEDs, then nah. Peyton's never gonna let that stuff get dug into and especially not now that he's retired. so it'd just be golden boy done good every step of the way juxtaposed against an addict screw up. that's just kinda evil to be honest and not an interesting story.

Rivers and Eli could make for an interesting 30/30, especially if they make a point of how friggin good Rivers has been (dude's a HOFer), Peyton and Leaf is a story we've heard a hundred times.

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/C...4-2fa9cedb89f4

Some positive Colts news. Frankly, I really enjoy listening to everything Ballard has to say and have not disagreed with his philosophy one time. I very much agree with his competition-based, build through the trenches approach. I love his moves so far, and I'm very excited about the draft.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Never heard of cautionary tales have you? Which is surprising since the NFL has so many of them. Ryan Leaf was one of them.

And yes Ryan Leaf appears to be sober for now.

They did one with Todd Marinovich who also didn't do anything in the NFL but it was still compelling course it was just him.

With Manning and Leaf it literally not only changed the NFL landscape but also the Colts and Chargers forever. For one thing the Colts wouldn't have been in Indy had they went with the other option.

I think it would be interesting and it would remind people the revisionist history of the media acting like they all believed Manning would be as great as he was from Day 1 when that wasn't true they all thought this with Leaf.

It doesn't have to be evil if done correctly.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 04-19-2017 at 07:32 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This guy probably ends up on the practice squad so I could still see us drafting a TE in round 4.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have signed ILB Jon Bostic: https://t.co/ebczzM0FBUWelcome to the team, @JonBostic! pic.twitter.com/wLkXrfkSLv— Indianapolis Colts (@Colts) April 20, 2017
    He played football for my high school. Just saying lol. And his mom was my middle school teacher too.
    Last edited by BornIndy07; 04-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    He played football for my high school. Just saying lol. And his mom was my middle school teacher too.
    Colts worked him out about a month or so ago when Sean Spence was signed.

Colts worked him out about a month or so ago when Sean Spence was signed.
    Not sure how good he is lol, but would be cool to see him make an impact

Mood

David Parry avoids jail time, assuming the judge honors the plea deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-department/

Colts cleaning house in college scouting department

With the draft over, Colts G.M. Chris Ballard is telling some of his college scouts their services will no longer be needed.

Colts director of college scouting T.J. McCreight and others in the scouting department have been fired, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Former Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson hired McCreight shortly after Grigson took over the front office in 2012, and it’s no surprise that Ballard doesn’t want to keep Grigson’s guys around.

The Colts are the second team to make significant change in their personnel department today, with the Bills firing G.M. Doug Whaley and others in their scouting department.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    Not sure how good he is lol, but would be cool to see him make an impact
    Not very. He had very pedestrian numbers at Arizona. Fine for a training camp invite, but I don't expect to hear much out of him.

sweepin' down the plains Natston's Avatar
    Mood

Overton is gone...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    Overton is gone...
    Good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jimmy Raye has also been relieved of his duties.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Jimmy Raye has also been relieved of his duties.
    I have no problem (nor am I shocked) with these moves. These were Grigson's guys.

I hope Lara Overton dont go.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Dab

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have no problem (nor am I shocked) with these moves. These were Grigson's guys.
    Ya, sayonara.

That regime did weird things with personnel. Like, keep pushing Jonathan Harrison instead of going with A.Q. Shipley, who always made our offense click. Or constantly cutting Griff Whalen in favor of whatever draft bust just got reinstated or fodder off the street.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.