Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird should sign Larry Sanders

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: Bird should sign Larry Sanders

Good article. I think he'll probably get another shot in the NBA. He's saying the right things, and he's still clearly talented. I can't shake the feeling that his heart is really in other things though. Hope he finds the right balance in his life.

As to whether the Pacers should sign him, either for now or down the road. I think the Pacers are probably better equipped than most teams, given our experience with the likes of Ron-Ron, Lance, and Roy. Lance is even something of a success story, given how much better he was here than at other stops. So I think the capability is there. There's probably a need too, for a very mobile defensive big who can rebound and block shots - frankly, if I were to design a frontcourt partner for Myles, that guy would probably look a lot like Sanders.

I don't know if the FO agrees though. Seems like they prefer a stretch 4 type playing next to Myles. And maybe they would decide that going down the route of another high maintenance player isn't worth it. But I think it's at least feasible, and would entertain the notion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good article. I think he'll probably get another shot in the NBA. He's saying the right things, and he's still clearly talented. I can't shake the feeling that his heart is really in other things though. Hope he finds the right balance in his life.

As to whether the Pacers should sign him, either for now or down the road. I think the Pacers are probably better equipped than most teams, given our experience with the likes of Ron-Ron, Lance, and Roy. Lance is even something of a success story, given how much better he was here than at other stops. So I think the capability is there. There's probably a need too, for a very mobile defensive big who can rebound and block shots - frankly, if I were to design a frontcourt partner for Myles, that guy would probably look a lot like Sanders.

I don't know if the FO agrees though. Seems like they prefer a stretch 4 type playing next to Myles. And maybe they would decide that going down the route of another high maintenance player isn't worth it. But I think it's at least feasible, and would entertain the notion.
    I agree with you and Pacerized, Wintermute ... and with the quoted comment that Sanders needs a summer training camp. I imagine we could sign him to a modest one-year contract (or a two-year with a team option) and if he flames out, it'd sting a lot less than Al Jeff's contract. If he returns to form, though, AND Turner & Christmas take another step, wow, what a long, athletic frontcourt that would be! Get a starting 4 and a new 2, and bring it on!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Getting a little lucky with a guy like Sanders is exactly the type of break this team will need to complete a meaningful rebuild around PG...

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    Getting a little lucky with a guy like Sanders is exactly the type of break this team will need to complete a meaningful rebuild around PG...
    I agree and we have a gaping hole for an enforcer in our lineup. Sanders could be that rare player that could guard against Cousins and Whiteside while still being quick enough to guard stretch players. He could be nothing but so is the risk in giving him a try.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Lebron is endorsing Sanders for the Cavs. Man I wish Bird would have just given him a look. We need a front court defender much worse than the Cavs.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...-Larry-Sanders

LeBron James Endorses Cavs Signing Larry Sanders
    LeBron Jams likes the idea of the Cleveland Cavaliers signing Larry Sanders with Andrew Bogut out for the season.
    Sanders hasn't played in the NBA since 2015.

“It looks like he wants another opportunity, and hopefully, if we’re the team, hopefully we give him an opportunity,” James said before the Cavs held shootaround Saturday morning to prepare for their game against the Orlando Magic on Saturday night. “Why not? Everyone deserves a second chance, and it looks like he wants to get back to playing the game he loves, and hopefully this is his destination. You don’t know how much you can get out of a guy that’s been out so long, but I’d love to see it. Why not?”
    James does not know how the past two years have changed Sanders, but he seemed open to finding out.
    “I could talk about when he played,” James said. “An athletic big guy, incredible shot-blocking skills, anticipation around the rim, can finish around the rim and block shots, and being able to guard perimeter guys as well. With his hiatus, I don’t know what he was going through, so I can’t comment about somebody’s personal life because I wasn’t a part of it.”

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

In principle, I don't mind taking a look at Sanders, but he hasn't played competitively in 2 years. There's no way he's ready to contribute right now, especially for a high level team like the Cavs. Frankly I think offseason is a better time to evaluate him.

There's also a report that Sanders was arrested during his down time, which definitely cools my interest. Here's the report

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-...ughts-1.749434

The Cavs had Larry Sanders in this week to talk to him, but his checkered past apparently is even more checkered than known. A Cavs official confirmed to me tonight they were aware Sanders was arrested last year on a felony charge in Los Angeles, but did not provide any details about the arrest. Late-night attempts to obtain a police report were futile, but according to Los Angeles Sherriff’s Department jail records, Sanders was arrested on June 12 and booked into the Van Nuys jail. His bail was set at $50,000. One Cavs official said he didn’t believe Sanders would be facing discipline by the league should he sign with an NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    In principle, I don't mind taking a look at Sanders, but he hasn't played competitively in 2 years. There's no way he's ready to contribute right now, especially for a high level team like the Cavs. Frankly I think offseason is a better time to evaluate him.

There's also a report that Sanders was arrested during his down time, which definitely cools my interest. Here's the report

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-...ughts-1.749434
    I agree that the odds are longer for Sanders to be ready now vs after a full training camp next year but if the Cavs sign him they won't be doing it for next year so they must think he's the best option they have in a big man right now. The smart thing to do would be to sign him to a 2 year deal with team options and only partial guarantees. As far as the charge goes I'd have to know more but it doesn't sound like a conviction.

Update: Cavs sign Sanders to a rest of season deal, plus option for next year

And the plan apparently, is to send Larry to the DLeague, at least for now

Pretty low risk for the Cavs then. Hope things work out for Larry.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Whatever the Cavs need for a title. It's like the rest of the league is frozen and the Cavs somehow are able to keep adjusting pieces as they so please. The NBA. What a joke.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Whatever the Cavs need for a title. It's like the rest of the league is frozen and the Cavs somehow are able to keep adjusting pieces as they so please. The NBA. What a joke.
    Bird had every opportunity to go after Sanders and didn't even try him out. There is no team as in need of a front court defender as we are. If Sanders starts to show flashes of his old self again I'm going to be pissed at Bird.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm interested to see how he fares in his return to basketball. There are an awful lot of character red flags with Sanders. A winning situation with a figurehead like LeBron is probably a better environment for him to rehabilitate himself than the shaky situation we have here.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Bird had every opportunity to go after Sanders and didn't even try him out. There is no team as in need of a front court defender as we are. If Sanders starts to show flashes of his old self again I'm going to be pissed at Bird.
    Or Sander was waiting for the best situation to continue his career. Why are you assuming he wanted to be a Pacer?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    Or Sander was waiting for the best situation to continue his career. Why are you assuming he wanted to be a Pacer?
    Because it gave him a chance to unnecessarily slam Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    I'm not assuming he wanted to be a Pacer but Bird never made the effort to try him out.
    I think Sanders would have joined any team.
    Last edited by Pacerized; 03-14-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not assuming he wanted to be a Pacer but Bird never made the effort to try him out.
    You Think he would have. The only news I heard was Boston and Cleveland, two inarguably better teams at the moment. I could have missed something, but I wouldn't get pissed unless I have a little more to go on. Very possible his agent or whoever told him to wait it out, talent gets a second chance.

This coming from someone who would have loved to give him an opportunity. I like big swings, and he doesn't have a major injury history, unlike Bynum (I liked that move as well).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He would have joined any team, but had to settle with a DLeague offer. That should say something all by itself.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    He would have joined any team, but had to settle with a DLeague offer. That should say something all by itself.
    Pretty much. Not to sound lazy; however, I would take the Cavs (or GSW) hands down if the money was going to be relatively the same no matter where I went. Both places gives him a chance to "highlight" himself without expecting him to be a "main" piece. During this time of year, most players will latch onto championship contenders.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?