Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: According to Schefter Colts have fired Grigson

Default Re: According to Schefter Colts have fired Grigson

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "then re-evaluate for 2018" is the part that bugs me. It basically says Ballard wants someone else but Irsay doesn't, at least not yet. Why wait? We've already seen what happens when the GM and head coach aren't on the same page.

Probably because if they have someone in mind they may not be available at the moment(like Harbaugh for example)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did you guys watch the press conference? I'm impressed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-21st-century/

Jim Irsay: Chris Ballard is the best G.M. candidate in the 21st Century

Colts owner Jim Irsay thinks he hit a home run when he hired Chris Ballard as the team’s new General Manager.

Irsay said today that he believes Ballard is the single best candidate for a G.M. job who has been hired by any NFL team this century.

“I was thinking about this and I think I can say it with some expertise and some wisdom is that I really feel, to me, Chris is the best candidate for General Manager that has come about so far in the 21st century,” Irsay said. “That’s how impressed we were with him. His energy, his experience, his vision.”

Irsay had better be right in his assessment of Ballard. After getting it wrong in 2012 when he hired Ryan Grigson for the top job in the Colts’ front office, Irsay has to have the right guy in place, or else he risks wasting the prime years of Andrew Luck with a franchise that can’t put a winning team around him.

I got a very good impression of him during that news conference. Showed some humility but felt confident in what he wants as a vision, which is a good 53 man roster built through the draft with emphasis on defense winning titles. My favorite moment was when he stated that you win in December/January with good offensive and defensive lines, which I thoroughly believe. None of this matters if he doesn't produce, so it'll be interesting to see how he goes about the offseason.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default According to Schefter Colts have fired Grigson

My biggest concern is that Pagano makes the playoffs just to eventually get blown the **** out again.

Don't get me wrong, making the 2Nd round/AFCCG again would be an accomplishment, but I'd rather not bother if we aren't going to be competitive against an actual contender. And we all know that there is only one actual contender in this conference right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS & 2010 AFC CHAMPIONS

1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, & 1987 NCAA CHAMPIONS & 2002 NCAA FINALISTS
    1970, 1972, & 1973 ABA CHAMPIONS & 2000 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

Colt fans should be very excited about this signing. Ballard seems to have a firm grasp on the right kind of talent.

If he can bring in talent like he's shown, Pagano and Luck will have zero excuses to not make a run in the mediocre AFC.

I fully expect both to do everything they can to get the Colts back among the elite.

Exciting times for the horseshoe if they can put it all together. Good for you guys

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice job by Irsay on this hire, but I don't understand why Irsay is immediately hamstringing this guy by saying that Pagano will be here in 2017. Irsay should allow "the best GM candidate of the 21st century" to evaluate the coaching situation on his own. I don't know why he's making him do the job with his hands tied behind his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Nice job by Irsay on this hire, but I don't understand why Irsay is immediately hamstringing this guy by saying that Pagano will be here in 2017. Irsay should allow "the best GM candidate of the 21st century" to evaluate the coaching situation on his own. I don't know why he's making him do the job with his hands tied behind his back.
    Financial decision maybe?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I think he was just a scout back then--not really accountable for those guys, but good to know he was at least part of the process.
    Just looking at The talent acquired at Chicago and Kansas City during his tenure, and the fact he had a hand in it makes me happy.

Seriously, how would you feel if we had either of those defenses with our offense tweaked a little! Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself

I think its unrealistic for people around here to think that Irsay was going to eat Pagano and Grigson's contract the same season after he extended them last season.

Plus if Grigson is such a problem we'll see how Pagano fares with a new GM if its the same result he's history.

I wonder what the true front office expectations are for next year? What metrics are they going to be gauging success by? The won-loss record? Playoffs? Playoff success? Or will they more be looking for signs of progress throughout the year that they can build on for longer term success in coming years and not really the W-L record in the short term? Which that would be continued improvement of the O-line and seeing Luck take less hits. Seeing the defensive standings improve and seeing signs they can pressure the opposing QB's. Watching players with potential tend to improve and be projected into larger roles.

I mean Pagano could actually be a sacrificial lamb here in some respects. Why bring in a more preferred coach if you can utilize this one in a win/win situation. Either he proves better than you thought and earns the job or he 'helps' a better, improving but young team to a worse record than they might've had over-achieving for a new coach and gets a better draft position next year AND gets a better coach and new voice in the process next season as well? It makes sense if you look at next year as a bit of a rebuild thanks to Grigson's poor drafts and decisions versus a team that just needs a shot in the arm and a more cohesive FO situation.
    And it does give Pagano shot at keeping the job.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I think this is a bridge year for the Colts if Irsay's comments are any indication of "I rather have a couple of down years in exchange for a couple of Lombardi's than a bunch of non losing seasons without the trophy."
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 01-31-2017 at 09:30 PM.

The scary thing is that we really don't know how responsible he's been for success with the Chiefs/Bears. As far as we know, he was in the same room as the GM. He may have arrived at the same consensus as the GMs for their picks/signings, but he may've been in the right place at the right time (and he's a good interviewer).

We'll know very soon, I suppose.

Also, I'm not excited at all that Pagano is back. Did everyone see how thoroughly unprepared we were for a lot of games last season? No amount of talent is going to fix that. He's great at getting people to like/root for him, but he seems like an incredibly poor game manager and preparer.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    The scary thing is that we really don't know how responsible he's been for success with the Chiefs/Bears. As far as we know, he was in the same room as the GM. He may have arrived at the same consensus as the GMs for their picks/signings, but he may've been in the right place at the right time (and he's a good interviewer).

We'll know very soon, I suppose.

Also, I'm not excited at all that Pagano is back. Did everyone see how thoroughly unprepared we were for a lot of games last season? No amount of talent is going to fix that. He's great at getting people to like/root for him, but he seems like an incredibly poor game manager and preparer.
    I'm not the biggest Pagano fan out there (mostly for his game management skills), but what suggests that the team was usually unprepared? I'm just asking because people seem to use that for a lot of different things, and often it has changed based on what the Colts are doing wrong that particular day.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I think this is a bridge year for the Colts if Irsay's comments are any indication of "I rather have a couple of down years in exchange for a couple of Lombardi's than a bunch of non losing seasons without the trophy."
    And that in a nutshell is the difference in Simon and Irsay... And I far, far, far agree with Irsay on this.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    And that in a nutshell is the difference in Simon and Irsay... And I far, far, far agree with Irsay on this.
    I'm not overly fond of Simon either but at least he stays out of things and not tweet or write checks his team can't cash like Irsay does.

Unless you have one of the chosen stars you won't amount to much as far as titles with the NBA

In the NFL there's slightly more parity in a one and done playoff format.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why anyone would not be fond of Simon and Pacers' ownership in general. Crazy to me.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think both teams have good ownership. Irsay is more hands-on and public, but that doesnt make him a bad owner. He's passionate, supportive, patient, but also will make a move when he has to.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    For the life of me, I cannot figure out why anyone would not be fond of Simon and Pacers' ownership in general. Crazy to me.
    My problem with the Simons is that they seem to give their GM's lifetime tenure like a Supreme Court Justice. It happened with Walsh and I think it's happening with Bird. I think it would take a rash of lottery seasons for Bird's job to ever be in jeopardy.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

My problem with the Simons is that they seem to give their GM's lifetime tenure like a Supreme Court Justice. It happened with Walsh and I think it's happening with Bird. I think it would take a rash of lottery seasons for Bird's job to ever be in jeopardy.
    This part I agree and with Bird its worse because he's an Indiana legend which makes it hard to fire him. I prefer outsiders for this reason more objectivity involved.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    I'm not the biggest Pagano fan out there (mostly for his game management skills), but what suggests that the team was usually unprepared? I'm just asking because people seem to use that for a lot of different things, and often it has changed based on what the Colts are doing wrong that particular day.
    Habitual slow starts, early 3 and outs, lining Dwayne Allen up on All Pro defenders to block, that 4th down play against New England, the apparent lack of understanding for what opponents were going to do, and the overall complete lack of execution of plays. Basically, almost anything you see and think "that would never happen on a Tony Dungey team" fits into the category of unprepared.

I think we look pretty disorganized a lot more often than we should, and the HC is accountable for that.

Contrast that with the most tightly run organization in the league and you see why they're constantly in the Super Bowl in a league that's built for parity.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Habitual slow starts, early 3 and outs, lining Dwayne Allen up on All Pro defenders to block, that 4th down play against New England, the apparent lack of understanding for what opponents were going to do, and the overall complete lack of execution of plays. Basically, almost anything you see and think "that would never happen on a Tony Dungey team" fits into the category of unprepared.

I think we look pretty disorganized a lot more often than we should, and the HC is accountable for that.

Contrast that with the most tightly run organization in the league and you see why they're constantly in the Super Bowl in a league that's built for parity.
    Well, let's take the slow starts for example since that can be quantified. That didn't actually happen last year at least compared to the rest of the league. The Colts best quarter was the 1st. They were 11th in the league in scoring offense in the 1st quarter and 9th on defense with a scoring margin of +1.1 per game in that quarter. For comparison, in the 2nd quarter they were -0.9, in the 3rd they were +0.5, and in the 4th they were +0.4.

Even if you restrict the sample to teams who were equal competition to the Colts or better (8-8 or better) the Colts outscored the opposition 54-46 in the 1st quarter in those 11 games. At halftime the combined score was Colts 142, opponents 136. That's against teams the Colts were 4-7 against.

I'm not doubting that some of these things are true. But some of it is a feedback loop. For example the slow starts again. We've seen slow starts in the past, so when we see them happen in a few games this year we think same old Colts, and dismiss the fast starts as outliers. When in this case the true answer is that it's not true anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I think both teams have good ownership. Irsay is more hands-on and public, but that doesnt make him a bad owner. He's passionate, supportive, patient, but also will make a move when he has to.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I don't think Irsay is any more hands on than Simon, he is just more public. We are lucky to have two of the best owners in sports, in my opinion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-the-colts/

Sean Payton says no “associate” of his reached out to the Colts

Posted by Mike Florio on February 3, 2017, 5:32 PM EST
    PHILADELPHIA, PA - OCTOBER 11: Head coach Sean Payton of the New Orleans Saints in the first quarter during their football game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on October 11, 2015 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Eagles defeated the Saints 39-17. (Photo by Rich Schultz /Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    The best week ever for PFT Live capped with an unexpected visit from Saints coach Sean Payton, who has had the job since 2006 and who every year is rumored to be in his final year with the team.

He addressed this year’s round of #fakenews regarding his departure from New Orleans, explained that the Saints were at no point putting out the word that Payton was available for a de facto trade, insisted that he has a solid relationship and a clear line of communication with G.M. Mickey Loomis, and attributed this year’s annual “Payton may be leaving the Saints” routine to one specific reporter.

But the media wasn’t the only entity to get crossed up over Payton’s future. Regarding the on-the-record claim from Colts COO Pete Ward that a “Payton associate” called to see if Indianapolis was interested in making a deal, Payton said his only “associate” is his agent, that his agent (Don Yee) didn’t call the Colts, that no one called the Colts on Payton’s behalf, and that Payton had never previously even heard of Pete Ward.

None of this will stop the annual “Payton may be leaving the Saints” rumors, because eventually the rumor will be right.

I was reading the Indy Star this morning and they mentioned that there's an exclusive interview with Jim Irsay on FOX 59 after the 24 premiere