Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNT to cover NBA games with only former players, no traditional play-by-play men

Default TNT to cover NBA games with only former players, no traditional play-by-play men

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/19/...y-by-play-men/

TNT to cover NBA games with only former players, no traditional play-by-play men

NEW YORK (AP) — TNT will use broadcast teams featuring only former players and no traditional play-by-play men during five NBA doubleheaders later this season.

The “Players Only” schedule runs Monday nights from Feb. 27 to March 27 and includes matchups such as Golden State-Oklahoma City on March 20 and Cleveland-San Antonio a week later.

Brent Barry will serve as the primary host of one team with Derek Fisher and Grant Hill, while Greg Anthony partners with Kevin McHale and Richard Hamilton on the other.

Lisa Leslie and Dennis Scott will serve as reporters.

Turner Sports says Thursday that Chris Webber will anchor the studio coverage with Isiah Thomas and Baron Davis, and that additional NBA players will contribute to the five-week program.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: TNT to cover NBA games with only former players, no traditional play-by-play men

Why?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Default Re: TNT to cover NBA games with only former players, no traditional play-by-play men

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why?
    I think TNT just wants to think outside the box here to engage fan interest?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While there is an art to PBP calls, the job is a holdover from the days of radio and is fundamentally unnecessary.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Hey, I'm fine with it. They gotta eat and they can no longer play. I'm not sure how much anyone will care as most PBP are irrelevant anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    While there is an art to PBP calls, the job is a holdover from the days of radio and is fundamentally unnecessary.
    Well, lets hear Rip Hamilton do some play by play and see if that's true.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Feels like a solution without a problem. The NBA national announcers are all really good. There are a lot of terrible local pbp guys though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Feels like a solution without a problem. The NBA national announcers are all really good. There are a lot of terrible local pbp guys though.
    I agree. I don't get the point of doing this.

Well, lets hear Rip Hamilton do some play by play and see if that's true.
    You're missing the point. Rip wont be doing PBP. Nobody will. It'll just be two guys commenting on what they're seeing.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo

You're missing the point. Rip wont be doing PBP. Nobody will. It'll just be two guys commenting on what they're seeing.
    For maybe like 10 of the 48 minutes then it'll just be nonsense stuff me or you or anybody else would say talking to our buddies watching a game.

That Barry/Hill team seems legitimately solid though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really? I envy your lifestyle where you never have to look away from the TV or leave the room during a game.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Really? I envy your lifestyle where you never have to look away from the TV or leave the room during a game.
    Well, he's not a Pacers fan, remember, so he doesn't feel the need to look away as often as we do.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post:

While I gotta give TNT credit for thinking outside the box, as someone who has done both radio and TV broadcasting at the high school level as a color guy, I don't think this is a very good idea.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo

Odd idea. I can't imagine watching any game without the PBP simply because I don't know every player on the opposite team. So, we go from...

"And George steps back and shoots for the winner, and it's.... GOOD!".

to...

Paul George shoots
    "That was excellent shot from George. When I played for the Pacers, I used to shoot those type of shots all the time, because I felt it was on me to win the game for us."

Ewwwwww...I won't past judgement until I see it in action.

EDIT: Locally, that would be like replacing Chris Denari with Reggie Miller.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 01-20-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    That's what popped into my head.

Some of the guys on the list, I haven't heard, but I just cringe at the thought of Mark Jackson and Reggie being a team and them being the only ones we get to listen too. Mike Breen, and even JVG even though he's a analyst, is a break from listening to the crap that Mark says. It's all dependent on the ex-players and their communication skills, and some are a little short in that area.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

I think the two teams for the games are solid, but the studio crew sounds terrible. Don't know what Baron is like so I won't pass judgement there, but C-Webb and Isiah are nigh-on unbearable (and lack any real insight).

I think its cool to do occasionally. I hope it leads to more insight and they don't try to stick to a standard announcing script. Make it unique. Educate the viewers. Tell them the things we aren't seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I think its cool to do occasionally. I hope it leads to more insight and they don't try to stick to a standard announcing script. Make it unique. Educate the viewers. Tell them the things we aren't seeing.
    Based on previous experience, they'll talk about everything BUT the game. They do that too much now.
    BillS

Based on previous experience, they'll talk about everything BUT the game. They do that too much now.
    To Kstats point.. we're watching the game with our own eyes. We don't need them to talk about each play. We can see it. My favorite part about broadcasts like TNT are when they talk about anything but the live action.

Radio is different. As far as that's concerned, we have the best PBP guy in the business

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    To Kstats point.. we're watching the game with our own eyes. We don't need them to talk about each play. We can see it. My favorite part about broadcasts like TNT are when they talk about anything but the live action.

Radio is different. As far as that's concerned, we have the best PBP guy in the business
    And, as I said, I need the play-by-play because sometimes I'm not looking (or, as other people said, because we don't know all the players on both teams). PbP on TV is already very much reduced compared to radio, as it should be and can be, but basic description is still valuable.

What I don't like at all is when the audio consists of a discussion of the quality of the snacks in the media room or of what's going on in a completely different game and the like.

Give me synchronized PbP on the SAP or something as an option, but to determine people would rather hear two former players joke and pal around rather than pay attention to the game moves the "entertainment" meter another notch two far away from actual sports for me.
    BillS

Years ago (80s I think ??) there was an NFL game broadcast with no announcers. They piped in the stadium announcer. Period.

It made me watch the game differently. Good / Bad - I can't say. It was just once and the novelty of it was really interesting. Not sure how I'd like it as a frequent or permanent thing.

And, as I said, I need the play-by-play because sometimes I'm not looking (or, as other people said, because we don't know all the players on both teams). PbP on TV is already very much reduced compared to radio, as it should be and can be, but basic description is still valuable.

What I don't like at all is when the audio consists of a discussion of the quality of the snacks in the media room or of what's going on in a completely different game and the like.

Give me synchronized PbP on the SAP or something as an option, but to determine people would rather hear two former players joke and pal around rather than pay attention to the game moves the "entertainment" meter another notch two far away from actual sports for me.
    Counterpoint: without being spoonfed everything that's going on, it forces you to actually pay attention.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Odd idea. I can't imagine watching any game without the PBP simply because I don't know every player on the opposite team. So, we go from...

"And George steps back and shoots for the winner, and it's.... GOOD!".

to...

Paul George shoots
    "That was excellent shot from George. When I played for the Pacers, I used to shoot those type of shots all the time, because I felt it was on me to win the game for us."

Ewwwwww...I won't past judgement until I see it in action.

Reggie and Quinn would make damn good Duo!

A more dynamic idea would be handing the play by play responsibilities over to the mascots of each team. Minus the outfits of course.

Sports Logo

Reggie and Quinn would make damn good Duo!
    Lol, you think they would? I guess it wouldn't be too terrible. I really like Quinn, and I was sooooooo glad when NBALP gave us the option to choose which broadcast to watch. I only watch the home broadcasts now.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?