Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis Colts 2017 Draft

Default Re: Indianapolis Colts 2017 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a very good chance the Colts will get a compensatory 4th round pick due to the loss of Fleener in FA
    That doesn't make any sense

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reuben Foster out of Alamba. We need a real ILB. This guy is a one man game changer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You guys keep throwing out positions like ILB and I just laugh.

We all know we are going to take a RB and he will average 3.5 yards per carry and be wasted.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    Pretty much what i'm thinking. There is no other RB draft or FA that i would want.

I'm not sure about Peppers. Everything i've read and seen is that people dont know how he projects in the Pro's. They think he might be a nickle corner? Wtf?
    People project players at positions and they still end up sucking. I'm with peppers because he has shown he can be a playmaker all over the field, and I think more than anything on defense we need playmakers. We finished 2nd to last in INT and 3rd to last in passes deflected, and finished with 4 fumbles on the season, which was 25th. I'll add that we finished 2nd to last in YAC as a defense which symbols to me that we are slow and miss a lot of tackles, so just having him there making plays, consistently making tackles and adding much needed speed will help a bunch.

He also can blitz from multiple positions so that would help with our front 7 grading out last by PFF.

P.S. We are still going to need some pass rushers as well, but the most important thing is that we have to build a team, guys that fit together if we don't do that then I am worried we will never be that good.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    That doesn't make any sense
    I saw that as a I was browsing through some material on line. It is based I believe on production of the player that was lost in FA.
    Anyone else know how that is calculated?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I saw that as a I was browsing through some material on line. It is based I believe on production of the player that was lost in FA.
    Where does the pick come from?

Mood

If we got rid of Geathers I would be ok with Peppers. We need a defender who is a game changer. There are more defenders in positions we need who are game changers in the 1st round.

Mood

The exact formula has not been revealed to the public, but it is based mostly on the lost free agent's salary with his new team (weighted against FA signings). Fleener had a 7 million dollar salary last year, and Colts really didn't sign anyone.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

From thin air. Compensatory picks are tacked on to the end of whatever round it's in. Last year there were 33 of them in total, from 3rd rounders to 7th rounders.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Every single draft pick needs to be defense. Every single one.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeForPresident View Post
    Every single draft pick needs to be defense. Every single one.
    Hard to argue with that.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

From Fleener leaving in free agency, that simple.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

If you want to read about an alternate universe where the Colts didn't draft Peyton Manning here you go (although I can't get past my shuddering of him in a Chargers uniform to have read it yet).

Last edited by Basketball Fan; 04-24-2017 at 07:36 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Here are two hopes are far as the first round goes:

There is a QB or a highly sought player available at 15 that will allow the Colts to trade down.
    Or, there is a huge run on QBs or RBs before 15.

Defense or offensive line. Lots of holes on defense, really could use an impact player almost anywhere there. DL/OLB, ILB probably #1 priorities. Pass rush and run stop. If a day-one OL starter is there and the defensive players you wanted are gone. Even an LT, as I think Costonzo is fading. We don't need an RB this year - I don't care who is available in the 1st...
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

We still need a RB, but we don't need to use a 1st round pick. If all things considered there's a player who can rush the passer available that's as high on the draft board as anyone else, you have to take him. That's the biggest weakness we have, and we can't waste an opportunity. I'm also ok with taking CB, because we absolutely need one (as as Vontae is on his last year I believe). Otherwise, I'm totally ok with trading down. We need picks and more talent.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-ride-with-...21-ballard-jmv
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Defense or offensive line. Lots of holes on defense, really could use an impact player almost anywhere there. DL/OLB, ILB probably #1 priorities. Pass rush and run stop. If a day-one OL starter is there and the defensive players you wanted are gone. Even an LT, as I think Costonzo is fading. We don't need an RB this year - I don't care who is available in the 1st...
    There is not much in offensive line in this draft. And as much a Costonzo is falling off, Gore will fall off quicker. I am all for getting Kevin King, Awuzie, or Reuben Foster if they are on the board. If the Colts don't move down to get more picks I think might select a RB if Cook or Mcaffrey are there. But there are so many running backs in later rounds that intrigue me.

Tennessee's Kamara at the second round might be the way we go. USF's Marlon Mack might work in the 3rd.

I like Joe Williams out of Utah. He is fast (4.56 40). He has small hands and lost 6 fumbles on 289 carries. He is a risk as he was kicked out of UConn and he left Utah to come back. Many Hoosier fans will remember him from this play.

Left tackle sleeper, Davenport out of Bucknell, might grow into that starter LT. I would spend out 2nd round on him.

If we can get another 2nd round player I would take 3-4 End Kpassagnon (had to copy paste his name). But if TJ Watt is there I would be interested if him as an edge guy.

If you don't have an edge guy by the third round I would take Walker out of FSU or Jordan Willis out of Kansas State.

A good Mike Adams replacement is Fish Smithson out of Kansas. He is small but I would hope that he could hit the weights and get bigger. But Orion Stewart is long and creates turnovers, which Ballard loves. We also need a punter but I wouldn't draft any of these guys.

I am looking forward to Thursday. I hate how it is drawn out in the 1st round so much. I wish they could shorten that a little in between picks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What I would do:

1st - EDGE
    2nd - CB/S
    3rd - LB
    4th - RB
    4th - CB/S
    4th - OG/OT
    5th - Best defensive player available

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's almost a must to draft either Charles Harris or Takk McKinley in round one.
    (Doubt Derek Barnett falls to 15)

Here is the guy I want. Physical freak and production to boot. Looks like a difference maker

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Connecticut_logo.gif

Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 219. Arm: 32.63. Hand: 8.75.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
    Projected Round (2017): 1-2.
    3/25/17: Every year, there are some size/speed freaks who rise up draft boards, and Melifonwu is one of those prospects for the 2017 NFL Draft. He has great size and also is a fast defender. Melifonwu was superb at the Senior Bowl as he showed real coverage skills in the passing game and looked good being the deep free safety. He is not tight and has the ability to contribute in man coverage while also having the size to be the eighth man in the tackle box. Melifonwu created a real buzz and could go off the board late in the first round.

Some teams think Melifonwu can play cornerback part of the time. They feel he is a great matchup option to defend big receivers like Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin because Melifonwu is as big as they are but is faster and more athletic.

Melifonwu totaled 118 tackles with three passes broken up and four interceptions in 2016. As a junior in 2015, he had 88 tackles with two interceptions and five passes broken up.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

25. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Mood

It'd be tough to pass Dalvin Cook if he's there, but I kinda don't think he will be. I really like Charles Harris from Mizzou as an edge rusher. I also really like Peppers. We haven't had a natural play-maker like Peppers in years, I don't care where he plays. He reminds me of Mathieu, the Honey Badger - lots of questions around how he'll fit in and whatnot, but he's just a play-maker.

CB is a HUGE area of need, and there's good depth in this draft. I think we'll miss the first round guys, but go strong on CB and draft a couple.

I also really like TJ Watt, but that's definitely influenced by JJ, if I'm being honest.

Oh, and if Joe Mixon is there in the second, and we didn't get Cook in the first, I'm taking him all day. Not even thinking twice about the off-the-field stuff.

Can't freaking wait for this thing to get started. Most excited I've been for a draft in years. I think Ballard is going to put us on the right track, finally.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    It'd be tough to pass Dalvin Cook if he's there, but I kinda don't think he will be. I really like Charles Harris from Mizzou as an edge rusher. I also really like Peppers. We haven't had a natural play-maker like Peppers in years, I don't care where he plays. He reminds me of Mathieu, the Honey Badger - lots of questions around how he'll fit in and whatnot, but he's just a play-maker.

CB is a HUGE area of need, and there's good depth in this draft. I think we'll miss the first round guys, but go strong on CB and draft a couple.

I also really like TJ Watt, but that's definitely influenced by JJ, if I'm being honest.

Oh, and if Joe Mixon is there in the second, and we didn't get Cook in the first, I'm taking him all day. Not even thinking twice about the off-the-field stuff.

Can't freaking wait for this thing to get started. Most excited I've been for a draft in years. I think Ballard is going to put us on the right track, finally.
    There has been speculation that Cook could slip due to off-field issues as well... he could be available in the second round.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    There has been speculation that Cook could slip due to off-field issues as well... he could be available in the second round.
    Talk about value! Getting either of those RBs in the second would be great.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

If Cook slips to the 2nd round, I doubt he lasts long.

There are a lot of DBs, pass rushers, and RBs in this draft. A perfect opportunity to trade down and maximize our choices.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.