Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis Colts 2017 Draft

Default Re: Indianapolis Colts 2017 Draft

Also, with Geathers at SS and Hooker at FS, we should have a fun, young secondary. Gotta get another CB.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pagano said he won't be available until training camp. Three surgeries this offseason. ehhh

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pagano said he won't be available until training camp. Three surgeries this offseason. ehhh
    Man. Takes a lot of faith to pick a guy going through all that. Hope it all works out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thank you Ballard for replacing TJ Green already.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorgeForPresident For This Useful Post:

I'm guessing when teams dug into Reuben Foster's background they found stuff they didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm guessing when teams dug into Reuben Foster's background they found stuff they didn't like.
    I wonder the exact details of the incident at the combine. It was enough to not get him invited to the draft.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looks like Fosters shoulder is toast, Late medicals came in, combined with off field issue

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can't say I've ever seen an expletive-laden draft walk quite like Takkarist McKinley, lol...
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/I...f-55c2e742c9ea

Really like our secondary right now.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Can't say I've ever seen an expletive-laden draft walk quite like Takkarist McKinley, lol...
    lol Atlanta is perfect for him.

Hooker grew up a big colts fan. idolized joe addai (of all people)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

Cleveland's had a great first round: best defensive player, a utility player in Peppers, and possibly the best TE in Njoku. Well done

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Cleveland's had a great first round: best defensive player, a utility player in Peppers, and possibly the best TE in Njoku. Well done
    And they are positioning themselves for Sam Darnold next year!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just want to say that there is no way Ryan Grigson would have selected Malik Hooker tonight. Zero.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Both Grigson and Ballard have considered moving TJ Green to cornerback. His limited college experience was at wide receiver and safety.

Here's what Grigson had to say in October, though I don't think they ever tried him at corner in a game.
    But Indianapolis Colts general manager Ryan Grigson, asked Monday night if there would be a possibility of Green moving to cornerback, had an interesting answer.

Ill tell you what, hes been out there at practice, and weve seen him in those matchups, and it sure looks right, Grigson said of Green playing cornerback
    http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/...b-ce93cab8439e
    Apparently a lot of teams were considering drafting Green as a corner.

Sports Logo

I like most of what Ballard's done and all and really glad Grigson's gone but man are people fellating Ballard based on zero results.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Peppers doesn't have an NFL position other than kick returner

Hooker's tackling questions a result of his inexperience? 6'1 206 should be a physical beast at safety.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Hooker's tackling questions a result of his inexperience? 6'1 206 should be a physical beast at safety.
    I would assume yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I like most of what Ballard's done and all and really glad Grigson's gone but man are people fellating Ballard based on zero results.
    We've had 4/5 years of pure misery. it's all we got so to be happy about so far

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

One offensive aspect we've lacked... really never have had... is a clydesdale tailback. I don't know if folks appreciate the dimension added to an offense with a guy like that. I will never forget the tandem of Tiki Barber/Brandon Jacobs early in Jacobs' career. Tiki was the early-down back, and Jacobs was the off-speed, bruising hammer. I just remember the overall feeling of that offense, the will they imposed on opposing defenses. It was extremely disheartening for opposing defenses, to 1) face Barber, who in his own right was a dangerous back, but then 2) the overwhelming feeling of impending doom when Jacobs replaced Barber on 3rd, and thinking "damn, Barber just took it to us for 2 downs, and now we gotta stop this hulk on 3rd down?" And it was so effective, especially with a guy like Eli back there going over the top once they had softened up the defense.

D'Onte Foreman, Texas, fits that description for me. Even if Gore is late in age, he can be taht early-down back, and bring in Foreman on short-yardage situations to hammer the ball up the gut. Over 2,000 yards last year, 6.3 YPC, 15 TDs... he's 6'1"+, 250 lbs, ran a 4.45 forty.. which is pretty unheard of for a guy that size. His "weaknesses" are in the passing game, and I don't care, I don't want him catching the ball. I want him hammering the ball up the gut and punishing opposing defenses, wearing them out. It does so many things, because once a defense starts taking damage in the run game, they start to throw more guys in the box to stop the run, and it opens up the pass game. I know we need defense and O'Line, but I also think adding that dimension to our offense is arguably the single most impactful addition we could do. The ability to move-the-chains consistently is up there for me in terms of overall importance. Our offense, which can be explosive, can also be maddenly inconsistent moving the chains and getting small chunks when needed to extend drives. The patriots have basically owned the last 15 years of the league on that principle alone -- the ability to extend possessions (and winning the turnover battle).
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 04-28-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

On the missed tackles...

That "highlight" reel was awful. Just horrible approaches, angles, and breakdowns. I was a bit shocked. They weren't just minor flaws, they were youth-level fundamental mistakes. Yikes!

In some ways, this is actually better. It really seemed like these were more related to inexperience than ability. It's easier to teach new skills than correct ingrained habits. And, despite the fact I'm talking about an NFL 1st round draft choice, these look to fall into the "needs to be taught" rather than the "needs to be corrected" category.

So, I'm cautiously optimistic that this can be fixed, and fixed fairly quickly.

Only cautiously optimistic because I've seen a lot of bad tackling from the Colts over the years, and the reduced contact in practice could hinder teaching a little bit. Fortunately, his problems - at least on the film they showed - seemed to be pre-contact and that can be coached without having to hit.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

Default Indianapolis Colts 2017 Draft

**** Clevela...

Wait, wrong board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

I like the Hooker pick, I think his tackling issues are more due to him taking poor angles than actual bad tackling technique. The guy has the potential to be the best pass coverage safety we've had in a long time... His INT numbers say it all.

I'd like to get a LB/CB today.

We very much need pass rushers/LBs and CB today. There are some really good CB options in the beginning of the 2nd round.