Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Cube is starting is own professional 3-on-3 basketball league

Default Ice Cube is starting is own professional 3-on-3 basketball league

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/30/...ason-williams/

Ice Cube is starting his own professional 3-on-3 basketball league

Yes, you read that headline correctly. Rapper Ice Cube — he of both N.W.A. and Are We There Yet? the TV show — is starting his own professional 3-on-3 basketball league. Complete with former NBA players, a commissioner, and coaches.

According to a report from Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, Cube has plucked former NBAer and NBPA executive Roger Mason to act as commissioner.

The league, called BIG3, will play games over the course of the summer as a means to satiate hungry NBA fans and their need for some roundball.

From Yahoo!:

Plans include eight teams of five players – including an ex-player as coach, as well as a team captain – that’ll tour together from city to city starting in late June.

So far, retired NBA players Kenyon Martin, Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O’Neal, Rashard Lewis and Jason Williams are some of the players committed to play on teams, league officials said.

Cube says the league is meant to act as an outlet for players who aren’t sharp enough for the NBA but don’t want to take their skills overseas or work in league media.

BIG3 will have eight teams to start in late June, playing for 10 weeks as they tour throughout the country together. Four games will apparently be played each week, in each location, and as part of a festival atmosphere with musical acts and other entertainment.

The league is still trying to acquire a TV deal.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ice Cube is starting is own professional 3-on-3 basketball league

I get to root for JO again!? Yes!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Don't like Ice Cube but this is a pretty cool concept. Touring across the country, good basketball, "Festival" feeling, sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Cool. They should lease only Hockey rinks around the country for games.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hoopsforlife For This Useful Post:

Love 3 on 3 basketball. Played in many Gus Macker's back in the 90's and as fun as it was to play probably enjoyed watching the center court games that could get super competitive even more.

Not sure if would watch on TV but if they came to town could be a lot worse ways to spend a summer afternoon.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

I love this idea.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool Idea. Especially over the summer. I wonder if the NBA will let their players participate in it?
    PACER FAN ON STRIKE!!!-The moment the Pacers fire Larry Bird I will cheer for them again.

If it gets televised, I'll check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

If I were them, I'd try for a broadcast deal with someone like YouTube or Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Bet current NBA players are forbidden. If someone was off contract, though...
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Bet current NBA players are forbidden. If someone was off contract, though...
    This screams Lance to me.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:

if it gets anywhere close to EX3 (Red Bull) and close to the same model it is easy to make it a hit
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I think it's a great idea. It would probably be more competitive and enjoyable than to watch the trash we are watching now with today's NBA. Stars, especially LeBron, take the night off against teams like Indiana. They collude and create super teams to make the rest of the league a flat out joke. I am pretty sure I would prefer watching this.

Also, I would imagine it would be more difficult for teams to shoot 3's. There would have to be someone in the paint attempting to get rebounds. That would leave just a couple guys and there would have to be a threat to drive the bucket. So, yes, it actually could be worth watching.

Sports Logo

I was laughing about this, but a 41 year old Jason Williams is in? Me too man, big time. The hands are the last thing to go and that dude obviously has em in abundance. This thing'll last like a month, if it ever even happens, but I'm in it just to see White Chocolate put a bunch of washed dudes on their asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    This screams Lance to me.
    David Harrison

I can definitely see Allen Iverson in this..
    "They want to be famous. We want to be champions. They want to be rappers and backup dancers. We want to play football." - T.J. Ward, Denver Broncos

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I think it's a great idea. It would probably be more competitive and enjoyable than to watch the trash we are watching now with today's NBA. Stars, especially LeBron, take the night off against teams like Indiana. They collude and create super teams to make the rest of the league a flat out joke. I am pretty sure I would prefer watching this.

Also, I would imagine it would be more difficult for teams to shoot 3's. There would have to be someone in the paint attempting to get rebounds. That would leave just a couple guys and there would have to be a threat to drive the bucket. So, yes, it actually could be worth watching.
    Yeah, guys! Get off of BnG's lawn!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Iverson is in and I like it

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/allen-iv...ws.27308.html?

edit: Mike Bibby and Bonzi Wells are in it too
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-11-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

@WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife View Post
    Cool. They should lease only Hockey rinks around the country for games.
    'Cuz of ICE Cube. Get it? Hockey rinks, ICE Cube!

Thanks, Dad!
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Al Harrington and Ricky Davis are in.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

31. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/03/22/...th-fox-sports/

Big 3 legends basketball league reaches broadcast deal with Fox Sports

Are people going to tune in to watch legendary basketball players of their youth lace them up again for a three-on-three, half-court game?

Fox Sports is betting that they will.

Big3 — which will tip-off this summer and features Allen Iverson, Jason ‘White Chocolate’ Williams, Chauncey Billups, Kenyon Martin, Charles Oakley, and other former NBA stars — has inked a deal with Fox Sports to broadcast the games on FS1, the two sides announced on Wednesday.

“This is a big day for the BIG3,” league founder Ice Cube said on UNDISPUTED. “We are very excited … we’ve been waiting for this day. It’s extremely exciting to be here with FOX Sports. They definitely see the picture and see the great things we are trying to do.”

“This is an ideal fit for FS1,” said Charlie Dixon, FOX Sports EVP of Content/Original Programming. “It will be appointment viewing for any basketball fan, showcasing star-power, fiery personalities and classic matchups on the court.”

It’s going to be interesting. Names we all know but guys well past their prime playing a 3-on-3 halfcourt game similar to what you and I have played in pickup games on the blacktop. Well, except the Big 3 has a four-point shot. There will be games packed into 10 cities on sort of a barnstorming tour, with the teams playing all games back-to-back each in the same venue. FOX will broadcast the games the following night. The league championship airs Aug. 26 live on FOX.

Big3 is well funded and went and got big names to take part. It’s an interesting concept. Will it catch on with fans? Fox thinks it will.

Wait wait wait... Is Charles Oakley going to be playing? He's gotta be at least 50!

Edit: Internet is my friend. He's 53.