Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ice Cube is starting is own professional 3-on-3 basketball league

Default Re: Ice Cube is starting is own professional 3-on-3 basketball league

It looks like their ratings were 4 times above their projection, no bad.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It looks like their ratings were 4 times above their projection, no bad.
    I'm sure there was curiosity over this at first the real test is can they keep this up?

Doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I'm sure there was curiosity over this at first the real test is can they keep this up?

Doubtful.
    His league is likely to melt away.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    His league is likely to melt away.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Yes please

@WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Kobe's been pretty actively branding himself post retirement, so I think he's smarter than that. Makes you almost wonder if AI's game was condensed to highlights as a courtesy to him being a big name associated with the league.

KG and Pierce, on the other hand, have nothing to lose. I'd love to see more big names participate. For now we're relegated to a bloated Baby Al hitting game-winners over SJax.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like 90% sure there won't be a next year for the Big 3.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Like 90% sure there won't be a next year for the Big 3.
    Did you watch it? I think people are expecting it to be more than it really is - it's a decent offseason basketball filler. A number of other recent shows have survived a little while off of nostalgia alone.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/06/...cgregor-fight/

Ice Cube: Big3 open to moving venue for Mayweather/McGregor fight

Ice Cube says his Big3 basketball league is open to moving its championship game to another arena in Las Vegas to make way for Floyd Mayweather’s boxing match against Conor McGregor.

The game is scheduled for Aug. 26 at T-Mobile Arena, the biggest venue in Las Vegas. Mayweather’s fight against McGregor was later announced for the same site.

That bout, matching the undefeated boxing champion and the mixed martial arts star, could be one of the biggest pay-per-view events ever, so Cube understands why they want the building. The rapper-actor said Thursday that there have been discussions and the 3-on-3 league of retired NBA players is up for moving, “but we just got to be treated right.”

If the Big3 moves, it would go to the MGM Grand Garden Arena. That game is scheduled to begin in the afternoon and the fight at night.

Abdul is nice, I can see the Curry comparison.

Kareem Rush is in it now

Sports Logo

I just watched a game yesterday that had Billups on the team. Honestly, if done right, I could see myself watching it more often. Kobe would be a good boost. Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing KG playing in this.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The half court takes me out of it. A big part of basketball is the constant motion required and all of the standing around is awful.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Watched first night it was one, thought the camera angles were awful making it harder to watch.

Abdul is nice, I can see the Curry comparison.
    Paula ??

So is Al Harrington the original ninja turtle?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    The half court takes me out of it. A big part of basketball is the constant motion required and all of the standing around is awful.
    Ever watch golf or baseball?

Mellinnials are funny. Like squirrels running from nut to nut. I think the vaccines must have something to do with it...
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Ever watch golf or baseball?

Mellinnials are funny. Like squirrels running from nut to nut. I think the vaccines must have something to do with it...
    well at least they didn't go running to the biggest nut of all.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes please

Even in the BIG3, players are trying to form superteams.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by natjjohn View Post
    Watched first night it was one, thought the camera angles were awful making it harder to watch.
    This is my biggest gripe so far. With it being only half-court and three-on-three, we should be getting some tight camera angles.

3-on-3 is going to be an Olympic sport in 2020; USA Basketball should use this tournament as a qualifier. A team of decently fit 30-something former All-NBAers, familiar with the 3x3 game and used to play together, should be far superior to the never-beens that make their current team; and an Olympic gold medal should be an enticing prize (might even become a faster ticket to Springfield to some).

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/16/...e-philly-fans/

Allen Iverson returns home with Big3, eager to please Philly fans

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Allen Iverson plans to run on that familiar court one more time, cup his ear the way he used to in his prime and implore his adoring fans to make more noise.

AI is back home, Philly.

“It’s exciting,” Iverson told The Associated Press. “I just want to give them a couple flashbacks of the time I had here. I love them. The only relationship like the relationship I have with Philadelphia fans is (Michael Jordan) in Chicago. It’s everlasting. They supported me all throughout my career, through all my ups and downs and that’s why I love coming back here. They’re the No. 1 fans in the world.”

Iverson returns to the floor at the Wells Fargo Center on Sunday night when the Big3 comes to town. The main event features two Philadelphia legends. Iverson’s 3’s Company team faces Julius Erving’s Tri-State team in the fourth game. Dr. J won’t be playing, though.

Iverson hasn’t done much of that, either. The former NBA MVP is a player-coach but he has spent more time coaching in the first three weeks. The 42-year-old has six points on 3-for-13 shooting.

“I’m going to do what’s best to get us the win,” Iverson said, explaining that he can’t guard bigger opponents in the post.

That’s just fine with Ice Cube.

“You gotta commend AI,” the rapper-actor told AP. “He’s trying to win. If he was on the ego tip, he wouldn’t sub himself out, even though he’s getting posted up. That’s the cool thing about it. You see guys’ real competitive juices going.”

No matter how little he plays, Iverson is an integral part of Ice Cube’s league of former NBA players.

“We don’t launch without AI,” Cube said. “We had names, we had players. But we didn’t have box office, we didn’t have that marquee name that you need to make a splash in a league like this. What’s great with him and Dr. J and playing in Philly, you have Dr. J who helped cement the ABA, and you have Allen Iverson establishing the Big3. Years from now, we can look back and say this wouldn’t have happened without AI taking a chance on us.”

Iverson, who was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame last year, is enjoying the ride.

“Seeing guys give it their all and watching how the fans embrace it, guys putting on a show for them, that’s what it’s all about,” he said. “These games haven’t been watered down. They’ve been competitive. I like the direction it’s heading. I’m happy to be a part of it. Years to come, I can brag to guys about being one of the first guys to play in the Big3 because it’s going to soar, man. It’s going to get bigger and bigger every year.”

Three weeks into Season 1, Ice Cube is already thinking ahead.

“I can definitely see the future of this league where guys step straight from an NBA court onto a Big3 court,” he said. “I think the competition is gonna get stiff. I’m pretty sure there’s some big names out there waiting to play the game and have fun. Everybody is having a ball – players, fans, the league.”

Looks like AI didn't even play in Philly

To all my fans out there: based on advice from my doctor, I will not be playing in the game tonight for the BIG3. I will be there to coach my team and beat Dr. J’s team. I’ll be interacting with all my fans and we’ll have a great time. You will see some great basketball. I love you, fans, for supporting me all of the years up to date, and I’ll see you when I get there.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    3-on-3 is going to be an Olympic sport in 2020; USA Basketball should use this tournament as a qualifier. A team of decently fit 30-something former All-NBAers, familiar with the 3x3 game and used to play together, should be far superior to the never-beens that make their current team; and an Olympic gold medal should be an enticing prize (might even become a faster ticket to Springfield to some).
    USAB actually already has official 3x3 rosters, have for a few years. I only know this because former Boilermaker Father Jon Octeus is on it currently.