Thread: Solving the rebounding issue (five trade proposals)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Solving the rebounding issue (five trade proposals)

Option 1 : Indiana <-> Washington : Thaddeus Young & Lavoy Allen for Marcin Gortat & Andrew Nicholson

Gortat to be the center & brute to Turner's stretch-4. He is averaging 11.8 RPG and is still an adequate offensive player (very good for #4 option which he would be in our starting line-up). Washington loses talent in this trade and will be in disarray until Mahinmi is healthy, but for them the key asset is the ability to renounce Lavoy's team option next summer. That will "just" open them enough salary room to keep Otto Porter who has belatedly developed to a keeper.

Option 2 : Indiana <-> Utah : C.J.Miles, Lavoy Allen & Aaron Brooks for Derrick Favors, Raulzinho & Joel Bolomboy

Incentive for Utah is simply to jettison salaries out of next season's cap. This move with three expirings (CJ will opt out, Allen can be terminated via team option) replacing three guaranteed 2017-18 contracts would enable Utah to re-sign both Hayward & George Hill. Losing Miles will hurt us and Favors is injury-ridden (while a perfect partner for Myles when healthy). Still, worth of risk especially as Bolomboy is also an intriguing "project". Neto would just be another 3rd- or 4th-string point guard of very limited action.

Option 3 : Indiana <-> Phoenix : Rodney Stuckey & 2nd-rounder for P.J.Tucker

Much less rebounding help than in proposals above. Still, Tucker would give a tougher, more defensive-minded option at PF behind Thad while be a big rebounding upgrade over C.J. who could return to back-up wing positions (and make loss of Stuckey a bit easier to bear). My main gripe with losing Stuckey is that there would be no use for Aaron Brooks in re-vamped backcourt. Stuckey is our only guard who can at least somewhat paper over Brooks' weaknesses. Without a ball-handling bigger guard besides him, Brooks will destroy the offense by repeatedly going 1-on-5 and he is too small to be paired with Teague/Monta.

Option 4 : Indiana <-> Orlando : Al Jefferson & Lavoy Allen + 2 x 1st-round pick (2018, 2020) for Nikola Vucevic & Mario Hezonja

Two talents - one with proven production taken from Vogel's doghouse. Price would be a 1st-rounder for each and we would hope those to be late-rounders (ie. us becoming a real contender). Similarly to Gortat, Vucevic would also become a starting center with Myles at 4 and Thad as an utility knife 7th man. Hezonja is a mystery card but might be our future star at 2. He may become a complete bust too....

Option 5 : Indiana <-> Denver : Monta Ellis for Kenneth Faried.

This would kinda make sense for both teams. We have a logjam at guard and hole in rebounding effort. Denver could use another and slightly more alive veteran than Jameer Nelson to steer their babies at backcourt. But I have to say that I am very lukewarm. Faried is energetic guy, but not much for team concept. He does grab a nice amount of rebounds, but mostly by being very active in offensive bo. ards. Chaotic nature of his play actually makes him quite bad defensive rebounder (and that is where IMO we need most help). I just don't see Faried as much of an upgrade from Thaddeus. Completely DIFFERENT player - yes. But similarly incomplete and untrustworthy as full-time starter.

I would do this trade straight-on, but would expect (just for age factor if nothing else) Denver to ask for some extra (picks). That would be a deal-breaker for me. No thanx.

There is others who could help us and who could be available (f ex Aron Baynes, Tarik Black, Amir Johnson, Andrew Bogut), but I couldn't figure out any workable trade which would interest the trading partner. And these guys are not "quality enough/young enough/healthy enough" to waste picks for..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Solving the rebounding issue (five trade proposals)

I don't think any of those teams would agree to those specific deals, but I like the idea of getting PJ Tucker, Derrick Favors, or (to a lesser extent) Kenny Faried.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't think we can get Favors without including our 2017 first rounder. Faried is probably possible, but think it'll take a little more than Monta.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I think Favors is out of reach. Tucker is ok, but I don't think he directly solves the rebounding issue. Faried is flawed, sure, but I think pairing up with Myles would mitigate some of his flaws (like lack of offense). The problem is that thus far, Denver seems to have a high asking price for him, which is not justified IMO.

Trade #1 is HORRID. No offense but a useful stretch 4 who is athletic for washed up Gortat and Nicholson? The only Washington player I think would help us would be Markieff Morris as our backup PF. Based on Thad shooting so well from 3 pt range this season. He is USEFUL indeed. You don't trade him for those 2.

Trade #2 isn't as bad but CJ Miles is our only floor spacer and shooter off the bench. Lets trade that for Derrick (often injured) Favors? And the other 2 guys who're they?

Trade #3 is pretty damn awesome.

Trade #4 is good but I'd take Fournier in place of Hezonja.

Trade #5 I would do if Denver threw in Gary Harris or Will Barton with Kenneth.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trade #1 is HORRID. No offense but a useful stretch 4 who is athletic for washed up Gortat and Nicholson? The only Washington player I think would help us would be Markieff Morris as our backup PF. Based on Thad shooting so well from 3 pt range this season. He is USEFUL indeed. You don't trade him for those 2.

Trade #2 isn't as bad but CJ Miles is our only floor spacer and shooter off the bench. Lets trade that for Derrick (often injured) Favors? And the other 2 guys who're they?

Trade #3 is pretty damn awesome.

Trade #4 is good but I'd take Fournier in place of Hezonja.

Trade #5 I would do if Denver threw in Gary Harris or Will Barton with Kenneth.
    1) Your "washed-up" Gortat is averaging double-double 11.0/11.8 and shooting .567 from the field this season. I have already thoroughly explained that Young's 3-point markmanship is pretty much useless for winning games as his volume is too low to make any difference. It is a shiny number, but makes little actual impact.

2) Only reason for Utah to make that trade is to open salary room for new contracts to Hayward & GHill (and there is a lot of rumors that they are looking for possibility of doing so). The trio I proposed are the only guys from our team who one can trust of being off the books next summer. Sorry, it can not be done without CJ Miles being part of package. I wouldn't want him to be, but it is still a role player for an "almost-star".

4) Fournier is paid 17 mil, Hezonja is on 2nd year of rookie contract. One is financially possible, another not. Are you stupid or what?

5) Faried + Harris/Barton for Monta. ROFLMAO!!!! You can not get one Faried for Monta (age makes difference looking forward) yet extras... The question is : would Faried be worth of what kind of a pick in addition to Monta? IMO, not but Denver likely would go for 1st-rounder or minimum multiple 2nd-rounders... I think Faried is not a good fit for us (Monta could not find a better spot than Denver backcourt - that's one team which could really use him without fit problems)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

#5-ain't goanna happen. Like it or not, we're stuck with Monta unless we take on a terrible contract or offer a 1st round pick and I don't want to do either of those.

#4-No thanks. I hesitate giving up 1 first round pick, let alone 2.

#3-I like this deal but Tucker is only 6'6". I think he would be effective as a backup 3 and play spot minutes at 4.

#2-No way Utah goes for that. Besides, I'm not sure I want Favors due to his injury history. I know Miles has had injury problems, but he is a bench player, Favors would be starting.

#1-I kind of like this one. I don't think Washington would go for it...for that matter, I don't think we would go for it. I think Bird is determined to have Turner play Center.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    #5-ain't goanna happen. Like it or not, we're stuck with Monta unless we take on a terrible contract or offer a 1st round pick and I don't want to do either of those.
    Agreed here. I also think it would cost a 1st-round pick & wouldn't do it. I think I also said that in original post.

#4-No thanks. I hesitate giving up 1 first round pick, let alone 2.
    Only to be done if FO is very confident that we will be drafting at 23-30 range for both drafts. In THAT case, it would be great value but it is also a risky move given that while Hezonja is a fresh #5 pick, he is also 50/50 proposition to be a complete bust.

#3-I like this deal but Tucker is only 6'6". I think he would be effective as a backup 3 and play spot minutes at 4.
    Miles is our back-up PF now (thanks Grimp, you were correct in that) so it would be replacing a 6-ft-6 backup with a 6-ft-6 backup with actual long-term experience on the spot (starting from college). Small step towards more respectable rebounding, but a step nevertheless.

#2-No way Utah goes for that. Besides, I'm not sure I want Favors due to his injury history. I know Miles has had injury problems, but he is a bench player, Favors would be starting.

#1-I kind of like this one. I don't think Washington would go for it...for that matter, I don't think we would go for it. I think Bird is determined to have Turner play Center.
    Both these trades are based on Washington/Utah's need to open salary room for next summer. Washington can not re-sign Otto Porter without making extra room, Utah has the same dilemma with Hayward&Hill. The probability of "giving up" Favors to extend Hill is of course diminishing longer George is out of court. Washingotn's problem is very real.

Trade Ellis for Okafor

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    Trade Ellis for Okafor

Sent from my Nexus 5X
    Do you have embarrasing photos to threaten Colangelo with or do we trade at gunpoint? Hostages involved in negotiations?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    Trade Ellis for Okafor

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Heavens no. I would try and steer a trade that sends Okafor and Noel to Sacramento and sends Cousins to Indiana though. The Kings would send back their 2017 or 2018 pick and maybe Mclemore or Richardson to the Sixers.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    Do you have embarrasing photos to threaten Colangelo with or do we trade at gunpoint? Hostages involved in negotiations?
    Lol

Sent from my Nexus 5X

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Heavens no. I would try and steer a trade that sends Okafor and Noel to Sacramento and sends Cousins to Indiana though. The Kings would send back their 2017 or 2018 pick and maybe Mclemore or Richardson to the Sixers.
    Every year, it seems, we spend trade talk time discussing the possibilities of trading the 76ers out of young, good players. Every year the 76ers do nothing to help themselves or any other team. They stockpile young talent, wear them down with injuries and do nothing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Every year, it seems, we spend trade talk time discussing the possibilities of trading the 76ers out of young, good players. Every year the 76ers do nothing to help themselves or any other team. They stockpile young talent, wear them down with injuries and do nothing.

Yeah. I think though with Simmons and Embiid they finally have something. But I am surprised no one has pulled a Kobe on Philly yet. Asking their agent to get them traded to another team once they find out the Sixers have drafted them.