Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fort Wayne Mad Ants 16-17 thread

Default Re: Fort Wayne Mad Ants 16-17 thread

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What element might that be? Last time I checked, LaVoy's PER in the NBA is about the same as Christmas's PER in the D-league. I pointed out before the Christmas's D-league stats are below what Lou Amundson produced in the D-league.

I'm not saying Christmas couldn't be successful in the NBA, but he's not putting up staggering numbers in the D-League that makes me think he can truly help this team. It'd be nice to see him on the roster besides Niang and J. Young just cause he plays a position in need.
    It's the way he plays, Christmas attacks the basket with post moves that no one on our roster has. I also think his size and length would be an upgrade in defending the paint however his offensive footwork is better than his defense which is unusual and something I think he'll continue to develop.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think I'll start focusing more on Julyan Stone when I watch the Mad Ants. Especially on defense. Maybe he has an NBA future as a backup point guard. He's 6'6".

Like you said, no Paul George, no Myles Turner, but a couple of players have really stood out so far this season, especially Julyan Stone (10.6 points, 9.2 assists, 6.7 rebounds), who is second in the D-League in assists. What have you seen in his development as a player?

The most important thing with him is that we want him to play the way he plays. I think you get talented players and you try to fit them into your system and try to mold their games so that they are doing maybe things outside of their comfort zones. We asked Julyan to be the exact player that he is, and that's a big point guard with size and length and athleticism who sees the floor exceptionally well, who plays great defense and can make an open shot. So we're not asking him to go out there and be a scorer, we're not asking him to put the team on the back, we're just asking him to set the tone, on both sides of the ball. And he's really lived up to all that. We've heard about him in terms of how he was a leader and how he brings the guys together off the court. He's the engine that makes our team go.
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/mad-a...ionship-pacers

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Screw it, just sign him now. Can he really be worse than Christmas, Allen, or Niang?
    Why would we want a guy that plays like that on our team? I bet he doesn't ever look 'cool' when he misses

Mad Ants won again last night behind 21 points from Poythress.

Mood

If you're bored today, the Mad Ants are playing an afternoon game. 2 pm. Watch it live here:
    http://dleague.nba.com/games/20161226/FWNGBO/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Christmas must still be with the main roster

Wonder if we'll see him tonight

Mood

Found out why Julyan Stone didn't play this afternoon.

Playing without guard Julyan Stone, who was suffering concussion-like symptoms,
    Stone, who has led the Mad Ants in assists in 11 games this season, suffered the injury in Friday’s 106-97 victory over the Delaware 87ers. He’s unlikely to play Wednesday at Memorial Coliseum against Grand Rapids.
    http://www.journalgazette.net/blog/m...Stone-16999691

Mood

I didn't get a chance to watch the game but here are Stone's assist highlights. He has some point guard in him, 13 assists in the game. He's number 5. Best pass is at the end.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

A Pacer to watch!

Niang had 23 pts 12 Rebs and 4 assists tonight in a loss.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Niang had 23 pts 12 Rebs and 4 assists tonight in a loss.
    I hope they keep him there. Be nice to see Joe Young there also now that Monta is back

Already back up with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    Already back up with the team.
    I don't get this. We aren't thin in the SF/PF area right now. Why have him on the roster?

Mood

I don't get this. We aren't thin in the SF/PF area right now. Why have him on the roster?
    I think Scott Agness implied that they wanted to take him to London. Probably didn't want him to feel left out of a special team experience (the London trip).

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Day game in Brooklyn and no one is there. Even the good seats are empty.
    http://dleague.nba.com/games/20170110/FWNLIN/

Brooklyn has some players to watch, wonder why no one showed up. Chris McCullough, Yogi Ferrell, Cheick Diallo, RJ Hunter, Taurean Prince. They're all listed in the box score, don't know if they'll all play.

Ben Bentil is back with the Mad Ants.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

It's interesting that Bentil is coming back right before the 2 games of the D-League Showcase. I hope he intends to stay longer than that. He hasn't played in China since 12/23. Blatche came back 12/25 and has played great. Not sure if Bentil was still on the team but I doubt if he was. He never showed up in another box score after Blatche returned.

Here's a quote from the Mad Ants coach Steve Gansey:

"Ben gives us another scoring threat, inside and out. He's a mismatch at the five (spot) but will mainly play the four for us," coach Steve Gansey said.

"He brings great energy on the defensive end and should help us in the defensive rebound category, in which we have had struggles this year. ... Ben can flat out score the basketball and brings a toughness to him and a swagger. I'm really excited to have him back in the Mad Ants' uniform."
    http://www.journalgazette.net/blog/m...eturn-17311919
    I highlighted that bit because it reminded me of something contrary TBird said in his Bentil evaluation:

...He really lacks any real defensive effort most of the time, disappointing for someone with his athletic gifts....
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...s-6-Ben-Bentil
    Maybe Bentil has figured defense out? But then again, Gansey only had him for one game before he bolted for China. Maybe his defense in that game was an aberration. It'll be interesting to watch him play in the showcase.

Mood

Not crazy about the timing. Why load the roster right before the showcase games? Unless we're showcasing Joe and Xmas for a trade.

btw the showcase games are on tv.

1/19 12:30 pm ESPNU
    1/21 12:30 pm NBATV
    Last edited by Strummer; 01-17-2017 at 02:19 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

We need another athletic big. Why not give Christmas a try with this roster?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Mood

I wonder if sending Christmas and Young down in time for the NBDL showcase is to let other teams see them play prior to the trade deadline

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    We need another athletic big. Why not give Christmas a try with this roster?
    I've thought this for a year now but it doesn't seem to be in the plans. I've seen enough to think that Christmas will be solid rotational player for an nba team in the near future but for some reason our coaches haven't given him the opportunity even though the need has been there. I'm afraid we'll see Christmas contributing to another team and wish we had given him that chance.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Not crazy about the timing. Why load the roster right before the showcase games? Unless we're showcasing Joe and Xmas for a trade.

btw the showcase games are on tv.

1/19 12:30 pm ESPNU
    1/21 12:30 pm NBATV
    The timing is because of the west coast trip there isn't a structured practice schedule. There is no sense in bringing along a 14th and 15th player so why not send them to FW?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

Mood

The timing is because of the west coast trip there isn't a structured practice schedule. There is no sense in bringing along a 14th and 15th player so why not send them to FW?
    I'd agree with you at any other time during the Mad Ants season. But the next two Mad Ants games are special. It's the D-League showcase where all the teams get together in Mississauga, ON and play in front of scouts from all the NBA teams. The idea is to give the players exposure to the NBA scouts and "showcase" their skills.

If I were a Mad Ant I might feel cheated if my playing time was cut during the showcase to accommodate three new players (Bentil, Xmas, Joe). Two of those players have NBA contracts so they have no need to "showcase" themselves. And what if the new guys dominate the play and disrupt the offense? That might not benefit the guys trying to get noticed by the scouts.

I think Xmas will fit back in easily because he tends to defer anyway. And the Mad Ants need another big man. But Joe Young dominated during his D-League stint last year. He played like a guy trying to prove that he belonged in the NBA. I loved that about him but this isn't the time for it when the regular players are trying to get noticed in hopes of earning a 10-day contract.

As a fan it's great, the games just got much more interesting.

Mood

And then there's this:

Pacers send Young, Christmas to Mad Ants
    JUSTIN A. COHN | The Journal Gazette
    The NBA’s Indiana Pacers have sent Rakeem Christmas and Joe Young to the Mad Ants in time for their first game at the D-League Showcase, 12:30 p.m. Thursday in Mississauga, Ontario, against the Windy City Bulls.

It’s common for NBA teams to send players to the Showcase, since it’s attended by so many scouts of NBA teams looking to make trades before the deadline.

Young has averaged 2.7 points and 5.3 minutes in 20 games this season for the Pacers and this will be his first D-League action of the season. Christmas, who has played in only three Pacers games this season, has averaged 13 points and 6.8 rebounds in five Mad Ants games this season.

The Mad Ants will also play Maine in the Showcase on Saturday.
    http://www.journalgazette.net/blog/m...-Ants-17325368

Mood

Mad Ants playing now on NBATV, our second showcase game. They didn't start Xmas or Joe Young. Thumbs up for that decision after thursdays debacle. But it's still not their normal starting lineup since they started Adam Woodbury at center. So far they're playing well.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post: