Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What a crazy game and crazy series

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default What a crazy game and crazy series

    I've watched the Pacers for a lot of years have seen them in all types of series but I've never quite seen anything like this. The happiest man alive right now has to be Paul Pierce, he makes a boneheaded play and gives the Pacers a golden opportunity to win the game in regulation, and yet the Celtics are still alive.

    I don't fault the Pacers effort tonight, and you have to give the Celts a lot of credit, they were able to get a hot hand from different players throughout the game. Davis early in the game, when the Celts were struggling, Pierce in the middle of the game and then Walker late. Al Jefferson is going to be some kind of player in a few seasons.


    Pacers crowd deserves some credit, I've never heard it so loud as it was when Perkins took that second free which I knew he was going to miss. That is a tough situation to be in.

    Pacers have several weaknesses but they have one glaring one that is staring everyone in the face. I will delve into this more after the season is over, but I want to mention it now because it had a huge effect on the game tonight.

    The Pacers coaching staff is so desperate for a scoring forward that they have resorted to playing JJ at the power forward. Cro is either too injured or is simply struggling too much right now, so he can't play. Dale, Jeff and Scot don't prove what the Pacers need. Celtics often had two or three guys around J.O befoire he got the ball

    So the Pacers put JJ at the power forward which helps on the offtensive end, but it killed the Pacers on the defensive end. Walker got going because JJ was in there, and the interior defense suuffered, the lane was wide open, and the Celts started gettting offensive rebounds by the bushel full. So then the Pacers had to bring Dale back and even Jeff for a few minutes. When what they really needed was a guy to play alongside J.O who could provide some scoring or at least the threat of scoring, but not give it up on the defnesive end.

    Yes I do see the pink elephant in the room and yes I do see Peck banging his head against the rubber walls. But that player is gone, and he gets injured every year and I don't like his defense, so lets move on.

    Pacers just need someone who can come off the bench as a scoring forward (Cro is so badly needed it is not funny, but he is not capable of doing it) when other teams distort their defense in such a way that J.O is shut down.

    Artest will help this situation some in an indirect way, but they still need another scoring power forward who can complement J.O on offense. Donyell Marshall would be a great pickup. He does not have to be a great player or someone who will demand 25 minutes agame, but just someone who could play 15-20 minutes a night. A veteran player

    It is really too bad that Croshere could not be that player, but his shooting is really not a threat anymore.

    I know I droned on longer than I wanted to here, and I know the season is not over, and I should have really aaved this for after the season, but tomnight was such a good example of what is happening I just had to bring it up.

  2. #2
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    It's a good point.

    What about David Harrison?

  3. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a good point.

    What about David Harrison?


    Maybe in a few seasons, but he has a long long way to go, plus I was thinking less of a post up player and more of someone who can shoot and drive some. But sure if DH gets into shape and improves in a couple of seasons he'll really help.

    I also want to be clear, I want DD and Jeff still getting a lot of minutes, don't misunderstand, but the coaching staff often reaches for a type of player I am talking about, earlier this season it was Cro and now it is JJ ( I like JJ but he is a small forward) so I think DW and LB need to acquire a veteran player this summer who can be a scoring forward.

  4. #4
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,170

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Antonio Davis!

  5. #5

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    As much as people like this team of the last quarter of the season I'll be glad when Ron is back. We are a jump shooting team which to me is the most boring offense to watch.

    Also watching SJax at SF makes me realize what a good passer/creater Ron is. I think SJax would be a wonderful third option but if SJax ever becomes our regular second option I'll have to start pulling for the Clippers. It just drives me nuts to see a guy on the perimeter force so much. I am not anti-Sjax and do like the other things he brings but when he is off he shuts down our offense. At least when JO doesn't pass he is no more than 10 feet from the basket.

  6. #6

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    We need Ron in the worst way. This team has to be completely healthy to win a title
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  7. #7
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Al?

  8. #8
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also want to be clear, I want DD and Jeff still getting a lot of minutes, don't misunderstand, but the coaching staff often reaches for a type of player I am talking about, earlier this season it was Cro and now it is JJ ( I like JJ but he is a small forward) so I think DW and LB need to acquire a veteran player this summer who can be a scoring forward.
    Sean Mays?

    Donyell Marshall?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  9. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sean Mays?

    Donyell Marshall?
    I want a veteran who can also rebound and defend pretty well. At least well enough that the coaching staff is comfortable with him in the game at crunch time if a smaller more offensive lineup is needed.

  10. #10
    Member Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Scottsburg, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,349

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    This series has sucked personally so bad....

    First I go to Saturday's game and we get our asses handed to us by 31 friggin points. Then tonight we lose by 3 points. I thought for sure tonight we would send these guys home. I thought for sure with Jamall Tinsley playing again we would beat them. I thought for sure we would get some much needed rest for Detroit. I have felt both extremes of losing a ball game first handedly. I'm so heart broken and losing in game 7 will make me feel even worse. The only thing that is gonna make me feel better is if we win. I know that's obvious, but DAMN...how did we not win tonight? WE HAD THE SERIES RIGHT THERE! RIGHT FREAKIN THERE!

    One thing that hit me while the game was going on....

    JO was had the ball on the block and passed it to DD at the Free Throw line. What'd the defense do? NOTHING... They left DD so wide open I just wanted to grab his arms and hands and force him to shoot. Then it hit me, how hard would it be for them to beat us if we still had Brad Miller there to hit that shot.

    I know you all are going to make puns about how he'd be injured along with our players and all this other stuff, but seriously we need a C who has enough offensive power to open the lane a lil for JO. As much as I like DD in there...I don't think he's helping JO any on the offensive end. He helps Reggie get open, but with the direction the team is going...he's not helping JO that much on scoring.

    I hope and pray we keep JJ. He should have had a few more shots tonight. The kid can hit anything. Reggie was horrible from three tonight. He was 3-10...how many of those were three's? That last play of the game, I thought they should have ran Reggie as a decoy and have JJ shoot that shot. I swear I think he would have hit it, but who knows?

    I JUST WANT TO WIN THIS SERIES SOOO BAD. I would almost say this season is a failure if we don't win this round. With these group of guys, that is. PLEASE PACERS...WIN GAME 7!

  11. #11
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want a veteran who can also rebound and defend pretty well. At least well enough that the coaching staff is comfortable with him in the game at crunch time if a smaller more offensive lineup is needed.
    So... Donyell Marshall.

    Or maybe somebody like Jon Bender?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  12. #12
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,766

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So... Donyell Marshall.

    Or maybe somebody like Jon Bender?
    Isn't that the true kick in the @ss? The fact is that Jon Bender could have been that player but for reasons (we won't delve into them here) he is not able to be.

    I know a lot of you like Don Marshall but I'll be honest I would probably pull my hair out watching him on defense.

    I won't even talk about Brad because I'm already on record with that move but I don't agree with U.B. that that person should be a powerforward. It really needs to be a center.

    Since we won't mention our former player I will throw out another name. A player like Doleac would be a great additon to our bench. If your looking for somebody to take over a game then he is not it, but he can spread the floor.

    However I disagree with the premise that our offensive needs come from the power positions. Yes Dale, Jeff & Scot are offensively challenged. But I would kill for a guard or s.f. who could take someone off of the dribble & penetrate.

    Also, in the off season (which I know we shouldn't talk about yet), is there any way we could work out a sign & trade for Michael Redd? I know they didn't bite for Artest but is there something else we could give them? I'm willing to part with about anything.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  13. #13
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However I disagree with the premise that our offensive needs come from the power positions. Yes Dale, Jeff & Scot are offensively challenged. But I would kill for a guard or s.f. who could take someone off of the dribble & penetrate.
    Artest is a freaking bulldozer, and Jax can take it to the rack. Freddy can too, except when he's playing like crap (aka now).

    And I don't fault Freddy for his play. He's doing what he can. I just blame Rick for playing him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  14. #14

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    I believe that Artest and a health roster would be contenders.

    There are dozens of PFs that can score as back ups (half of which are on the Knicks roster). And that is even more true when offense is defined as better than Dale Jeff and Scot. A scoring PF should be an easy piece to get. The Kings got 3 in the Webber trade.

  15. #15
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,397

    Unhappy Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe that Artest and a health roster would be contenders.
    ....

    I tell ya that's what keeps me warm at nite with my snuggly Pacers blanket. I like to think of myself as a pragmatist, but I think a fully heathly Pacer's team runs the table on anybody in the league.

    BUT...

    I would have liked/would like to see us get some trade value for Freddie Jones whie we can. I know he has his jockers on here, but as I've said before, the guy will never be more than a glorified Aaron Mckie/Adrian Griffin to me. Get me a post presence and I'll be happy. I don't care of it's a passing big man (Brad Miller ), explosive scorer (Stromile Swift) or straight up rebounder or "potential guy" (Kwame Brown with tutoring?), but we need something in the pst. I don't even factor in Bender in the equation. ( I think his playing days are done.). Low post prescence and an heir to Reggie have been a glaring sore sopt for so long, I can't remember when it wasn't an issue.

  16. #16
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't that the true kick in the @ss? The fact is that Jon Bender could have been that player but for reasons (we won't delve into them here) he is not able to be.

    I know a lot of you like Don Marshall but I'll be honest I would probably pull my hair out watching him on defense.

    I won't even talk about Brad because I'm already on record with that move but I don't agree with U.B. that that person should be a powerforward. It really needs to be a center.

    Since we won't mention our former player I will throw out another name. A player like Doleac would be a great additon to our bench. If your looking for somebody to take over a game then he is not it, but he can spread the floor.

    However I disagree with the premise that our offensive needs come from the power positions. Yes Dale, Jeff & Scot are offensively challenged. But I would kill for a guard or s.f. who could take someone off of the dribble & penetrate.

    Also, in the off season (which I know we shouldn't talk about yet), is there any way we could work out a sign & trade for Michael Redd? I know they didn't bite for Artest but is there something else we could give them? I'm willing to part with about anything.

    Peck, don't you see how often the Pacers have to go small so unless you want JJ or Artest playing power forward the need Pacers need a scoring power forward for those times when they must go small. Unless you think cro or Bender can fill the bill

  17. #17

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    In a small lineup Rick used Ron Artest at power forward early in the season. He's better than anyone else we have.

    I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut we add another big with scoring ability on the inside. He may be a rookie, though. It would be nice to get a center, but likely the player we add will be smaller.

  18. #18
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Low post prescence and an heir to Reggie have been a glaring sore sopt for so long, I can't remember when it wasn't an issue.
    Neither is an issue. Reggie's heir is Jackson, and Jermaine, Hulk, Artest, Tinsley, and Jackson can all post up.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #19
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What a crazy game and crazy series

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neither is an issue. Reggie's heir is Jackson, and Jermaine, Hulk, Artest, Tinsley, and Jackson can all post up.
    Well then, if its all fine what is the problem? I'll just throw up my hands and surrender if I'm told that Ron Artest is the answer. If it has come to that the Pacer's management has done a **** poor job. If Ron Artest is that valuable why is O'Neal making that much money? And if Artest is the lynch pin, then why did the Pacers choose to have an unreasonable time-bomb as the lynch pin.

    This team is in one of two situations right now unfortunately. The Pacers either have absolutely no problems or they have so many problems that one specific one can't be pointed too. If it is the ladder we're sorta stuck. Everyone makes too much money. Not a whole lot we can do. I am really worried and I would personally like to see some major changes this summer. For the enormous amount of talent we have, it is only matched by our lack of chemistry. I don't see this current collection of players ever being able to hold it together throughout an entire season and playoffs. Not with our "team leader's" way of constantly keeping the other hooligans in line is by confronting them physically at lockerroom doors and on airplanes.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •