Page 1 of 236 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2016-2017 NBA Random Thoughts Thread, 13th of its name: Kingslayers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The 2016-2017 NBA Random Thoughts Thread, 13th of its name: Kingslayers

When you play the game of thrones, you win or you sign with Golden State.

--Kevin Durant

This never gets old:

Last edited by Kstat; 10-19-2016 at 08:24 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: The 2016-2017 NBA Random Thoughts Thread, 13th of its name: Kingslayers

6 more days! Also not a big fan of the series, but great use of the quotes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The 2016-2017 NBA Random Thoughts Thread, 13th of its name: Kingslayers

Draymond Green will be the scape goat this year for Golden State

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Coincidentally, feature articles on KD and Westbrook came out recently.

KD one: http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/f...s-shot-w445344
    Westbrook: http://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/19/rus...w-kevin-durant

Both are fascinating long reads IMO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TMAC will be as unknown in 20 years as Bernard King is to the kids today.

So Joe Young has looked good this pre-season. I think he should be our backup point guard full time. His movement on the court looks A LOT better than last season. I think overall he just needs more time out there to get comfortable. Defensively for him it's gonna be about work. Aggravating the person he's guarding. He's a small guy so he's not gonna overpower anyone defensively. But I think he can be a real offensive weapon if he continues to mature as a player.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Here's some interesting trade talk. Rudy Gay WAS according to this article which quotes Woj ... headed to OKC in exchange for Cameron Payne. But Payne broke his foot last month and the talks were cut off.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/20/...ayne-got-hurt/

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's some interesting trade talk. Rudy Gay WAS according to this article which quotes Woj ... headed to OKC in exchange for Cameron Payne. But Payne broke his foot last month and the talks were cut off.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/20/...ayne-got-hurt/
    Cam Payne is hurt again? Man I remember so many wanted to draft him, he didn't show much last year in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Cam Payne is hurt again? Man I remember so many wanted to draft him, he didn't show much last year in OKC.
    He fractured his foot in training camp and they haven't allowed him to have surgery, yet. They wanna see if it heals up on its own. But the Kings want a point guard badly. They have flirted with Dragic but they are said to really covet Rubio. But sadly they already had Seth Curry. All they had to do was extend his qualifying offer last Summer. Sheesh.

Hot take/random prediction: the two worst FA signings, in terms of high $$, will be two former Pacers. Evan Turner and Solomon Hill.
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I still can't believe the Lakers broke the bank for a 3rd tier Center this summer...

Not that I feel bad or anything about it! Can't waite to have them offer a nice chunk of their capspace longterm to some end of bench guy next summer .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Any of you guys have a passing or deep interest in RJ Hunter or James Young from the Celtics? They're apparently available for a 2nd round pick.

Last edited by Grimp; 10-21-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Mood

We should try to get rj hunter.he'd be cheap and we could groom him to be our 2 guard of future.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tnasty4l For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Any of you guys have a passing or deep interest in RJ Hunter or James Young from the Celtics? They're apparently available for a 2nd round pick.

I'd take RJ Hunter for a 2nd, sure.

Timeless adage: Ballers who want to be rappers.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/20/...-the-letter-o/

Damian Lillard drops first rap album “The Letter O”

Damian Lillard keeps hearing the calls from fans on social media to work harder in the gym instead of rapping. This summer, it looks like he did both.

Lillard announced on Thursday that he would be dropping his first album, titled “The Letter O”, with features from artists like Lil’ Wayne and Jamie Foxx.

The Portland Trail Blazers point guard has come out with a few songs here and there, but this is the first full-featured album of his career. The album comes after Lillard performed at the Crystal Ballroom in July, a premiere concert hall in downtown Portland.

Oh, and about that whole “stay in the gym” thing? Lillard answered that too.

Via TrailBlazers.com:

“I recorded the entire album in L.A. and it took me one week,” said Lillard. “So I was there for five days and from 12 noon to 12 midnight I was in the studio. I’d workout at 8 am and then I’d go lift and then I’d go to the studio, 12 to 12, five days straight.”

The Letter O is a tribute to Lillard’s heritage — Oakland, Ogden, and Oregon — the three places that are the mileposts of his basketball career. During lineups, Lillard is announced as “Wearing the letter O” before every Blazers game.

You can The Letter O on Spotify, Apple Music, and iTunes.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/21/...sistant-coach/

Report: Lakers want to keep Metta World Peace… as assistant coach

The Lakers must drop two players before the regular season. The four five primary candidates:

Nick Young, the only one of the four with a guaranteed salary. There was talk of waiving him anyway, but he has seemingly played his way onto the team in the preseason.
    Yi Jianlian, who has the highest salary of the group. His partially guaranteed, incentive-laden contract makes him an intriguing trade chip.
    Thomas Robinson, the youngest of the bunch. The 25-year-old might be the best center in a few years of anyone on the Lakers’ roster.
    Anthony Brown, the No. 34 pick just last year. He has a guaranteed salary.
    Metta World Peace, the oldest player on the team. He turns 37 next month and hasn’t been productive in years.
    The Lakers face one tough choice. Waiving World Peace should be the easy one – and it seems they know it.

Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne of ESPN:

The odds are against Metta World Peace making the Los Angeles Lakers’ Opening Night roster, but the Lakers have interest in keeping the veteran forward around as an assistant coach if they can’t make room for him as an active player, according to league sources.

If the Lakers want to keep World Peace to mentor young players, assistant coach is the right role for him. It’s not worth wasting a roster spot on someone who’s no longer NBA caliber.

World Peace wants to keep playing, and he could lobby other teams. I’d be surprised if he gets another NBA contract, but I was also surprised the Lakers signed him the last two years.

More likely, World Peace must decide between being a Lakers assistant and playing overseas again.

Rather ironic given the amount of Mormons in the Utah Jazz fanbase....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nbas...tah-1476895083

The NBA’s Most Caffeinated Team Plays in Utah

Utah Jazz forward Joe Ingles was immediately excited when his team traded for Boris Diaw this summer. But not because of what Diaw might bring to the basketball court. Ingles was thinking about something else: coffee.

Like nearly everyone in the NBA, Ingles knew his new teammate was a coffee nut. That’s why he decided to welcome Diaw by tweeting coffee emojis at him. He had a feeling Diaw would appreciate the hospitality. It turns out they had visited a Salt Lake City coffeeshop even when they were on different teams.

“This was the first place I came,” Diaw said this week in that same coffeeshop.

The Jazz are widely expected to leap into the NBA’s elite when the season begins next week. They are one of the league’s only teams with the versatility to play any style of basketball. They are one of the league’s only teams with the roster continuity necessary to win in today’s NBA. And they are one of the league’s only teams with a coffee klatch.

Utah is not the first NBA city that a coffee addict would choose to live. In fact it’s the last. While caffeine itself is not off limits to Mormons, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ prohibition of “hot drinks” is taught to include coffee and tea, according to the church. Which means there may be fewer coffee drinkers per capita here than anywhere else in the country.

But the Jazz’s growing coffee group already includes several players, coaches and executives who sip espresso before practices and home games and visit hip coffeeshops on the road.

The person most responsible for their awakening is Diaw, who brews espresso for the Jazz, because he believes drinking coffee is a team-building exercise. The other reason Diaw stops by his local coffeeshop at least once a day is that he is simply obsessed. He has an espresso machine at home. He has one in Utah’s practice facility. He’s already working on a third for the Jazz’s arena. He also has informed opinions about Nespresso pods. And he keeps a mental list of the best coffeeshops in NBA cities based on their walking distance from the team hotel.

For as long as the NBA has existed—decades before the recent wave of research on the performance-enhancing benefits of caffeine—basketball players have downed coffee before games. But no one drinks more or knows more about coffee than Diaw. He is, after all, French. Diaw has been steeped in coffee culture ever since he made France’s national team. He was only 19 years old, but he liked socializing with older players, which meant he learned how to drink espresso. Diaw had to take his coffee with sugar back then. That was a long time ago.

“I drink it straight,” said Diaw, who is 34, between drinks of an espresso-based blonde mocha and bites of avocado toast.

Diaw’s interest was apparent as soon as he entered the NBA. He brought a cappucino to his very first workout, and he still walks into practice holding a cup. But it was in San Antonio where his basketball career and his coffee behavior changed. Diaw not only won a title with the Spurs, but also helped usher in the era of small ball, which has transformed the game in such a fundamental way that one NBA executive last season privately called Diaw a “transcendent player.”

He was also a caffeinated player. Diaw’s coffee habits became widely known only when the Spurs renovated their arena and Diaw happened to discover an electrical outlet in his locker. He then had the brilliant idea to bring a Nespresso machine to work. And having his own personal espresso maker instantly made Diaw such a source of curiosity that before the season was over Spurs fans were asking him to sign their coffee machines.

Diaw takes his espresso machine on NBA road trips. He also takes it on actual road trips. When he drove from San Antonio to Salt Lake City this summer, it was right there with him, keeping him company at the Grand Canyon and White Sands National Monument.

When he arrived, he encountered a team that was modeled after his old team, and not by coincidence. Utah general manager Dennis Lindsey was a Spurs executive before he came to the Jazz, signed a bunch of international players and encouraged their offense to be built around ball movement. Then he stole their Borista.

Diaw had done reconnaissance in Salt Lake City before he moved. The Spurs’ coffee club was particular about which places it visited for afternoon coffee on game days. Starbucks only sufficed when there was nothing else around. Instead, they searched Yelp for independently owned local options that have popped up in even the NBA’s smallest markets. They kept meticulous notes about their scouting trips. What they valued more than anything else was atmosphere (“chill”), music (cool, “but not too loud”) and the coffee (“gotta be good”).

He didn’t have to hunt for a coffeeshop here that met those criteria. When the Spurs were in town last season, Ingles took Diaw to Publik, a relatively new small-batch roastery, where one barista recently wore a T-shirt with the phrase “MAKE AMERICANOS GREAT AGAIN.” Diaw is now a regular.

His influence is being felt around the team, too. Lindsey, the general manager, was a drip-coffee drinker before this season. But under Diaw’s influence, he’s already drinking several espressos per week, Lindsey admitted. Ingles himself is the proud new owner of a Nespresso courtesy of Diaw, he said.

Jazz star Rudy Gobert seemed like another logical addition to Diaw’s club. He, too, is French. Which makes it almost shocking that Gobert can’t stand the stuff. “I’m already too energetic,” he said. “If I drink coffee, I go crazy.”

Diaw is used to these heretics. Spurs guard Tony Parker, also French, likes hot chocolate. At the Rio Olympics, where he procured yet another espresso maker, Diaw’s teammates reminded him that not everyone from France is a fan of a coffee. “Some were rebellious,” Diaw said, “and got a tea.”

The Jazz’s coffee group is open to anyone who wants to be a member. Utah guard George Hill was initiated on a trip to Los Angeles last week. The club went to a specific outpost of Intelligentsia Coffee that had been on Diaw’s list since its appearance in “Barista,” a documentary about the U.S. national coffee championships, which he watched on a flight this summer.

Diaw’s next pressing need is to try some of the world’s most expensive coffee. It comes from coffee beans that have been digested, and then defecated, by cats and elephants. “I heard about that,” Diaw said, “and was like oh I gotta try it.”

I've never liked the smell of coffee. I don't remember ever trying it, but I probably did since my family is full of coffee drinkers.

I don't like coffee breath either, hense never married a coffee drinker.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Timeless adage: Ballers who want to be rappers.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/20/...-the-letter-o/
    Wack. Need to stick to balling

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Draymond Green. He's kicking again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-nba...153900632.html
    #DBAP

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Draymond Green. He's kicking again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-nba...153900632.html
    I dont normally advocate violence, but i'd love nothing more than to see someone punch him dead in the face, just once.

I haven't disliked a guy in the league this much since Derrick Rose was relevant.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    I still can't believe the Lakers broke the bank for a 3rd tier Center this summer...

Not that I feel bad or anything about it! Can't waite to have them offer a nice chunk of their capspace longterm to some end of bench guy next summer .
    they also gave a going into his 13th year Luol Deng 72 mil over 4 years. the hell was the point of that?

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/22/...-world-series/

Cavaliers move up ring ceremony 30 minutes so it doesn’t conflict with World Series

It’s a good time to be a Cleveland sports fan. Finally.

Next Tuesday, Oct. 25, will be one of the great sports days in the history of the city — the Cavaliers will get their championship rings, and the Indians will open the World Series at home.

Only one little problem: the two events were going to overlap.

So in the spirit of city unity the Cavaliers have moved up the start time of their ring ceremony by 30 minutes, and the game by 30 minutes as well. The ring ceremony now begins at 7 p.m. Eastern, with tip-off against the Knicks at 7:30 (both will be broadcast on TNT, followed by the Spurs at the Warriors).

First pitch for the World Series is at 8 Eastern.

Fans attending the Cavaliers ring ceremony will be given a special silicone ring, which if viewed on their phone through the Cavs app will look like a virtual championship ring. Kind of cool idea.

Tuesday is going to be a great day to be a Cavaliers sports fan (just don’t bring up the Browns). A lucky few will be at these events.

Although personally, I’d rather watch them both on a television while eating the brisket and having a beer at the bar at Mabel’s BBQ.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/23/...p-ring-to-dad/

Special pass: Cavs’ Kyrie Irving to give championship ring to dad

CLEVELAND (AP) — Kyrie Irving is prepared to make a most memorable pass.

Cleveland’s star point guard said he’s going to give his diamond NBA championship ring to his father, Drederick. Irving, whose 3-pointer in the final two minutes of Game 7 helped the Cavs complete their historic comeback over Golden State in the finals, said following Saturday’s practice that he intends to give the keepsake to his dad.

“I give my dad almost everything,” he said. “So, every accomplishment, every MVP award, every trophy that I’ve had since I was probably about 13 or 12, I’ve given to my dad.”

Irving and his father, who was playing professionally in Australia, where the point guard was born, have an exceptionally tight bond. Kyrie’s mom died when he was young, pulling him closer to his dad.

The Cavs will receive their rings before Tuesday’s home opener against the New York Knicks. That’s also the night the Indians, who play next door to Quicken Loans Arena in Progressive Field, will host Game 1 of the World Series.

With the championship banner for any Cleveland team since 1964 also being raised, the Cavs moved the starting time up to 7:30 so fans would be able to watch the ceremony before the Indians play.

Earlier this week, superstar LeBron James and Cavs coach Tyronn Lue said they expect the ceremony to be emotional. Irving, too, said it will be great to reflect on the team’s accomplishment before beginning a new season.

“There definitely is a special aspect to it,” he said. “You don’t want to shy away from that, but it also is the start of a new journey. So you just try to find a middle ground between that and just try not to get too high or too low. The crowd will be very enthused, not only for us getting our rings but the world series is starting, which is unbelievable. So, I just try to stay even keel with it, not get too high or too low. I’m excited to give my dad the ring and really gift it to him, and now it will be time to turn over a new leaf.”

Irving is expected to play in the opener. On Tuesday, he left an exhibition in Columbus with a tight left calf but said he’s better.

Damjan Rudez made the final fifteen for the Orlando Magic today, so he and Frank Vogel will get another shot at making it work.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post: