Page 122 of 215 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 5374

Thread: The 2016-2017 NBA Random Thoughts Thread, 13th of its name: Kingslayers

Default Re: The 2016-2017 NBA Random Thoughts Thread, 13th of its name: Kingslayers

all star game has turned into a total disgrace. what the **** is this?

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The 2016-2017 NBA Random Thoughts Thread, 13th of its name: Kingslayers

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    all star game has turned into a total disgrace. what the **** is this?
    Haven't been watching the past few years? Game has not been a good watch for a while, people are only watching to see Durant and Westbrook. Durant can pass to Westbrook, I want to see it the other way...that's the true test.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Haven't been watching the past few years? Game has not been a good watch for a while, people are only watching to see Durant and Westbrook. Durant can pass to Westbrook, I want to see it the other way...that's the true test.
    i am just half watching while studying for a test.

97-92 first half... it gets worse and worse every year.

Westbrook playing like that annoying guy on 2k who shoots everything.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Inside the NBA on NBA tv
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

The whole All Star weekend has really turned into kind of a joke to be honest. A celebrity basketball game where you haven't hardly heard of any of the celebrities. A skills challenge where players are jogging through the course. A dunk contest without even remotely the best dunkers in the NBA. An all star game where the defenders are cardboard cutouts. What a waste of time. NBA needs to do what baseball did and make incentive for an all star team to play hard and win. Either that or just eliminate the damn thing. It's supposed to showcase the NBA, not embarrass it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    The whole All Star weekend has really turned into kind of a joke to be honest. A celebrity basketball game where you haven't hardly heard of any of the celebrities. A skills challenge where players are jogging through the course. A dunk contest without even remotely the best dunkers in the NBA. An all star game where the defenders are cardboard cutouts. What a waste of time. NBA needs to do what baseball did and make incentive for an all star team to play hard and win. Either that or just eliminate the damn thing. It's supposed to showcase the NBA, not embarrass it.

Yeah, the all star game has been total crap recently. Looks like scores in the 180's-190's are going to become the norm. It doesn't even resemble a basketball game anymore. It's not a huge deal because it's just an exhibition, but it used to be entertaining when you had a bunch of talented players who at least attempted some defense and strategy here and there.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They gotta connect with these young folks. Have each All-Star play as themselves in a 5 on 5 game of NBA 2k or have them play as their own team (PG would be the Pacers) and do an evening of an NBA 2k17 tournament. You know how competitive that would be--and it would market their game and probably bring out more trash talk than has been seen in the past 10 years. Throw it up on a huge screen in the arena with all of the same ridiculous fanfare and hype. Everyone would get to relax and enjoy themselves over the weekend and it would let the 20-something year-old "kids" be kids.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    They gotta connect with these young folks. Have each All-Star play as themselves in a 5 on 5 game of NBA 2k or have them play as their own team (PG would be the Pacers) and do a weekend-long 2k17 tournament. You know how competitive that would be--and it would market their game and probably bring out more trash talk than has been seen in the past 10 years. Throw it up on a huge screen in the arena with all of the same ridiculous fanfare and hype. Everyone would get to relax and enjoy themselves over the weekend and it would let the 20-something year-old "kids" be kids.
    This sounds absolutely ridiculous, until you watch ELeague on TBS.

Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They have the D-league all-star game and the rising star game. I'd be more interested if they did a first round east vs first round west and probably more fun would be a 2nd round east vs 2nd round west. Meaning the draft picks from the previous year. Those 2nd rounders would atleast try cause they have something to prove.

All-Star weekend is essentially the San Diego Comic Con of the NBA, and the league appears to make a lot of money off of it. I mean, you could get rid of the game, but what else can the NBA realistically do that's going to draw a big gate the last night?

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    ............what else can the NBA realistically do that's going to draw a big gate the last night?
    Naked cheerleading competition.

So - maybe it misses a little on the 'realistic' part. But I'd buy a ticket.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Naked cheerleading competition.

So - maybe it misses a little on the 'realistic' part. But I'd buy a ticket.
    Yeah - you, me, and most every red-blooded male with extra cash!!

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    Yeah - you, me, and most every red-blooded male with extra cash!!
    And they could make a boatload of cash by having HBO or Showtime broadcast it. Or do a PPV.

Anyone got Silver's number ??

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Watching open court and D'Angelo Russell sounds like such a loser, no team is winning **** with that guy.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

I used to watch and enjoy the allstar game. Sure there wasn't any team defense to speak of, but individual def4ense was played, especially in the 4th quarter. I stopped watching about 5 or 6 years ago. Watched it for a few minutes a couple of days ago. What I saw was a disgrace to basketball, the NBA and humanity.

And for the record I am probably one of the biggest NBA fans anywhere - not just a pacers fan, but fan of the NBA as a whole.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Seems like the All-Star game went to pure hell the moment Kobe fell off. He used to treat the all-star game like it was Game 7 of the NBA Finals. His competitiveness permeated into both sides. Even in the early 2010's, it still kind of resembled a real basketball game where players would attempt to get stops. It's just a joke now.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-21-2017 at 10:02 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Remember in 2012 when Kobe told Lebron to shoot the effing ball? That was great entertainment. The score of that game was 152-149. Obviously much higher than a regular game, but nowhere near this garbage where the winning score approaches 200.

Everyone kind of fed off Kobe taking the game so seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Remember in 2012 when Kobe told Lebron to shoot the effing ball? That was great entertainment. The score of that game was 152-149. Obviously much higher than a regular game, but nowhere near this garbage where the winning score approaches 200.

Everyone kind of fed off Kobe taking the game so seriously.
    Everyone acts too cool to do anything like that. I don't think you can blame them, nobody has the history and level of respect Kobe had to feel comfortable doing that.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

I'd like to see a little more defense. It's devolved purely into a fast break uncontested dunkfest, whereas at least the final 5-7 minutes used to be competitive.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The best all star games (1984, 1987, 1993) had honest to goodness defense played on the 4th quarter, and the crowd fed off of the intensity. That's what made them great.

The most exciting part of the 1987 game was Rolando Blackman shooting two foul shots with no time left to send it to overtime. Nobody wanted that game to end.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I used to watch and enjoy the allstar game. Sure there wasn't any team defense to speak of, but individual def4ense was played, especially in the 4th quarter. I stopped watching about 5 or 6 years ago. Watched it for a few minutes a couple of days ago. What I saw was a disgrace to basketball, the NBA and humanity.

And for the record I am probably one of the biggest NBA fans anywhere - not just a pacers fan, but fan of the NBA as a whole.
    About the only real competition for the weekend was the 3 point shooting contest. Other than that the weekend and especially the game was a disgrace as UB said.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

30. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

I think the decline of the all star game is a microcosm of how the stars in the NBA have changed. Guys like Kobe, Pierce, KG, Dirk, Pierce were old school and they had entertaining games with the newer generation of Lebron, Melo, Howard, Wade, etc. But now those old guys are gone and have been replaced by a newer generation that just collectively is not as gritty. The guys the other night couldn't be bothered to really have a competition with each other. When you had guys like Kobe, no such thing would happen.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Players just don't revere the game in the same way the old legends do. Seems pretty obvious. Focus is more on being cool and promoting individual brand than being ambassadors of the league and of ones team. That has a cascading effect downwards on multiple levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

34. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

I may have missed something but what happened to Nuntius?
    This place could use a little positive energy.
    Last edited by Pacerized; 02-21-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post: