Thread: Comcast Users - 1TB data caps are being implemented in Indianapolis Nov 1

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Comcast Users - 1TB data caps are being implemented in Indianapolis Nov 1

Basically, if you have a viable alternative for your internet, start switching now. If you are like me and are stuck with Comcast, start filing complaints with the FCC and raise hell with your local government.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/6/13...s-one-terabyte

If you streamed 3.5 hours of HD content a day, you would hit the data cap. if you have multiple people in your home, you are going to get screwed, unless you give Comcast an additional $50 a month. Oh and by the way, their ****** streaming services don't count towards the cap.

And just wait til 4K streaming becomes the standard. That 1TB won't last more than a few hours.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 10-07-2016 at 12:07 AM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Comcast Users - 1TB data caps are being implemented in Indianapolis Nov 1

I was about to switch to Comcast because my Uverse wifi signal is so poor. Now I'm stuck firmly between a rock and a hard place.

This is Big Cable's answer to streaming services like PlayStation Vue. Like typical evil corporations, they opt to screw the consumer rather than incentivize the consumer to stay. Big Cable is one of the longest-running scams in this country, acting basically as a monopoly.

Save us, Google Fiber! You're our only hope!
    2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS & 2010 AFC CHAMPIONS

1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, & 1987 NCAA CHAMPIONS & 2002 NCAA FINALISTS
    1970, 1972, & 1973 ABA CHAMPIONS & 2000 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Comcast Users - 1TB data caps are being implemented in Indianapolis Nov 1

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Save us, Google Fiber! You're our only hope!
    Well, them and Netflix, seeing as Netflix is lobbying the FCC to make this crap illegal.
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/12/12...sing-data-caps

This is Big Cable's answer to streaming services like PlayStation Vue. Like typical evil corporations, they opt to screw the consumer rather than incentivize the consumer to stay. Big Cable is one of the longest-running scams in this country, acting basically as a monopoly.
    Especially when Big Cable owns NBCUniversal and that umbrella of networks...

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Damn that blows. Caps are common out here too, At&t started their caps at 250gb. I switched to Wave because of At&t just being awful, but they had the 1TB cap, which was ok for awhile, but as the family started watching more Netflix it did become an issue. 1TB is probably fine for a household of one or two people, but any more and you are in trouble if you like to stream video. Thankfully Consolidated Communications is available at my current house, 100up/100down, fiber to my door and no caps.

I wonder if Comcast is bringing data caps out here. I have a few friends that have it.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post

I wonder if Comcast is bringing data caps out here. I have a few friends that have it.
    If you don't live in the DC area or around Philly, you getting the cap. Tell your friends to start filing FCC complaints now:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/h...-us%2Frequests

By law, Comcast must reply to every single complaint they receive.

Caps are just the way of companies like Comcast and AT&T to hold onto their relic of a system. Instead of improving their pricing or options they just introduce these data caps to make people think twice about cutting the cord. The problem is the government has not caught up with society where Internet access is basically a utility. Almost everything from submitting a job application to paying bills is done primarily online. Companies are almost getting the point to charge people to send paper bills.

So with these data caps you can really affect someones life onto of them just trying to force people to buy their overly priced product. Honestly, you think this stuff is bad imagine what would have happened if Net Nutrality was struck down. Comcast decides is a far right company and then throttles CNN, MSNBC and speeds up Fox and there is nothing you could do about it. Microsoft becomes the videogame system of AT&T and they just block access to the Sony store. I know that second one is pretty far out there, but it will start with throttling and eventually it will go to outright blocking.

I do not play a lot of online gaming, but I stream HBO, Netflix and Hulu and I barely even got close to my 500 GB limit I use to have. Now that I am moving more to digital downloads of my videogames I am glad I was increased to 1TB.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    If you don't live in the DC area or around Philly, you getting the cap. Tell your friends to start filing FCC complaints now:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/h...-us%2Frequests

By law, Comcast must reply to every single complaint they receive.
    First time I have ever heard of this. Are the caps illegal in DC or something?

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    First time I have ever heard of this. Are the caps illegal in DC or something?
    Probably not, but I don't know the competition in the area, or my personal theory, Comcast doesn't want to put a data cap on a FCC Commissioner.

Comcast decides is a far right company and then throttles CNN, MSNBC and speeds up Fox and there is nothing you could do about it
    You know Comcast literally OWNS MSNBC, right?

Either we need to allow any company to come in and lay down their own network, or local governments need to take over laying down the networks then rent access to those wires to service providers. We need competition, real competition, not this fake competition or no competition at all in most areas.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Data caps will severely hinder the 4k movement. I can't see this being legal in the long run because it stunts progress.
    2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS & 2010 AFC CHAMPIONS

1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, & 1987 NCAA CHAMPIONS & 2002 NCAA FINALISTS
    1970, 1972, & 1973 ABA CHAMPIONS & 2000 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Data caps will severely hinder the 4k movement. I can't see this being legal in the long run because it stunts progress.
    between 4k and downloading games, hell if someone buys 2 games that can be a tenth of your data allotment.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Since hearing about this I checked my data usage on my Xbox and mostly it's about 100 GB a month. That's gaming/You Tube/Netflix and sometimes I Twitch

Now the months where I got new games I used about 250 GB. The Fall gaming season is here and in November alone with Call of Duty Infinite Warfare and Modern Warfare Remastered launching that's 130-150 GB alone. Just to install the games since you have to install games now and can't just play off the disc if you choose the physical route

It's either not going to last or they will up the cap or we will just have to deal with being screwed
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions