Thread: Steve Young: A ref gave me a good call, hoping I'd marry his daughter

Default Steve Young: A ref gave me a good call, hoping I'd marry his daughter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-his-daughter/

Steve Young: A ref gave me a good call, hoping I’d marry his daughter

Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young has described the strangest interaction you’ve ever heard of between an NFL player and a referee.

Young writes in his new autobiography that during a December 15, 1985 game between Young’s Buccaneers and the Colts, the ref approached him and asked if Young would take the ref’s daughter out. Later in the game, Young says in an excerpt published by TheMMQB.com, the ref gave Young a favorable call in an attempt to butter him up.

“I’m in the huddle when the head referee taps me on the shoulder. ‘Can I talk to you for a second?’ he says. I step away from the huddle. ‘Hey listen, my daughter’s going to BYU,’ he whispers. Next thing I know he starts trying to convince me that I should meet his daughter. ‘I’d like you to take her out,’ he says.

“I cannot believe this. We’re in the middle of a game! ‘Oh okay,’ I said. ‘What’s her name?’ He tells me and I return to the huddle . . . Late in the game we’re down 31-23 and I’m trying to mount a comeback. I scramble out of the pocket and take a brutal hit. It causes me to fumble just before the whistle blows to stop the play. I am lying on the ground when the defense recovers the loose ball, all but sealing our defeat. Suddenly out of nowhere a yellow flag lands next to me. The referee whose daughter is headed to BYU calls a personal foul on the defense. First down, Tampa Bay. I get up and brush myself off. Then the ref walks past me and whispers she likes Italian food.”

For a referee to do such a thing is so incredibly inappropriate that it’s hard to believe it would happen, although it’s equally hard to believe that Young would make such a thing up. Whoever this unnamed referee is, he’s surely out of the league by now, but perhaps Dean Blandino should issue a memo reminding refs that they’re not to try to set up players with their daughters.

Default Re: Steve Young: A ref gave me a good call, hoping I'd marry his daughter

So first thing i want to know is how much time was on the clock when this happened. Because the 2 point conversion was not adopted until 1994. And they were down 8. This accusation sounds insane and hard to believe.

Default Re: Steve Young: A ref gave me a good call, hoping I'd marry his daughter

This was back in 1989 during Steve's Tampa Bay days.

Here's the thing. The time of the game when this happened matters to me because i believe there is a chance that Steve Young may have forgot that the 2 point conversion was not in play. Therefore fabricating this story. Consider these things. One, the Bucs were 2-14 that year. The game in question happened in Week 15 of the season. The 2 point conversion was not around in 1985, so a teams mentality having only won 2 games all season and being down two scores late in a ball game might not be one of " Mounting a comeback ". I think its important info to know at what time in the game did this happen. It was certainly in the 4th quarter for sure seeing the score by quarter stats. Now suppose Steve Young is telling the truth here. Well, surely if this memory stuck out to him so much 31 years later, he must remember the name of the referee he's accusing. And that's very important. The reason being that it takes a real sociopath of a referee to have such an asinine request at such a moment in the game. It brings into question what other games this referee may have effected with fake penalties such as the one Steve Young talks about. And that brings into question the integrity of the very history of the NFL and would at the least warrant a serious investigation.

I think this is going to be a huge story. You would think maybe a local writer who dont have much to write about his local NFL team right now, might jump on this. WINK WINK
    Last edited by Foul on Smits; 10-03-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This was back in 1989 during Steve's Tampa Bay days.
    December 15th, 1985

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    Here's the thing. The time of the game when this happened matters to me because i believe there is a chance that Steve Young may have forgot that the 2 point conversion was not in play. Therefore fabricating this story. Consider these things. One, the Bucs were 2-14 that year. The game in question happened in Week 15 of the season. The 2 point conversion was not around in 1985, so a teams mentality having only won 2 games all season and being down two scores late in a ball game might not be one of " Mounting a comeback ". I think its important info to know at what time in the game did this happen. It was certainly in the 4th quarter for sure seeing the score by quarter stats. Now suppose Steve Young is telling the truth here. Well, surely if this memory stuck out to him so much 31 years later, he must remember the name of the referee he's accusing. And that's very important. The reason being that it takes a real sociopath of a referee to have such an asinine request at such a moment in the game. It brings into question what other games this referee may have effected with fake penalties such as the one Steve Young talks about. And that brings into question the integrity of the very history of the NFL and would at the least warrant a serious investigation.

I think this is going to be a huge story. You would think maybe a local writer who dont have much to write about his local NFL team right now, might jump on this. WINK WINK

Yeah it won't be a big story because it was over 30 years ago and nobody cares at this point. If it happened today? Sure but even then it will barely register.

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    So first thing i want to know is how much time was on the clock when this happened. Because the 2 point conversion was not adopted until 1994. And they were down 8. This accusation sounds insane and hard to believe.
    What does the 2 point conversion have to do with anything here? Did he mention a 2 point conversion? I might've missed it if he did (I just kinda skimmed it). Otherwise, back in the day in that situation you played the clock and tried to get a TD or FG, whichever left you some time on the clock. Kick an onsides kick and hope you get the ball back to either try to get in FG range or go for a hail Mary or two for a TD if you had to settle for the FG. Teams would even consider kicking the FG before 4th down to preserve clock for the onsides kick.... Or do the math versus clock, 2 min warning, and timeouts to get that quick score and then kick it away to play defense.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: