Thread: Tailgating Info/Advice Needed

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tailgating Info/Advice Needed

Hello,

I'm planning on being in Indianapolis for the November games against the Titans on the 20th and the Steelers on the 24th and was wondering what the situation is with tailgating? Is anyone here a part of a group and could I come along? I probably won't be back in Indiana for another decade so would be great to experience it in full... or can anyone just turn up and walk around?

I'll also be at the Colts game in London so three games for me this year.

Thanks for any help.
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.
    Went to NFL UK in London, Oct. 2016 (1 Colts game)
    Visited Indy from Nov. 11-28th 2016 (8 Pacers games, 2 Colts)
    Went to Global Game in London, Jan. 2017 (1 Pacers game)
    Visiting Indy again from Dec. 2-20th 2017 (7 Pacers games, 1 Colts)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eamer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tailgating Info/Advice Needed

Anyone can show up and just walk around.

Pretty much the entire surrounding area turns into one big party. There will be public, people selling merchandise/food, all over along with "private" parties. (I put private in quotations because it's not like you have to have a ticket to get into their tailgating party [well some but....] but it will just be individuals having their own party next to another set of individuals next to another set and on and on and on.) The whole place will be packed.

A couple of friends from England/Austrailia/NZ tailgated with us in college one summer and they couldn't understand it until they got to the stadium since it's such an American thing. But basically everyone shows up and parks near the stadium hours and hours before the game starts. Homeowners/businesses/public lots with ample parking charge people to park their cars and then instead of going into the stadium everyone just gets out grills/games and eats/drinks until it's time to either go into the game/listen on the radio/go to a nearby spot to watch/pass out until it's over.

How you're received in different groups will depend on the attitude of the groups, but I'm guessing with your story about wanting to come to Indy to see the Colts/Pacers you'll be welcomed right in to 95% of any groupings you show up to. I imagine you'll get your fill of freely given food/booze.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone can show up and just walk around.

Pretty much the entire surrounding area turns into one big party. There will be public, people selling merchandise/food, all over along with "private" parties. (I put private in quotations because it's not like you have to have a ticket to get into their tailgating party [well some but....] but it will just be individuals having their own party next to another set of individuals next to another set and on and on and on.) The whole place will be packed.

A couple of friends from England/Austrailia/NZ tailgated with us in college one summer and they couldn't understand it until they got to the stadium since it's such an American thing. But basically everyone shows up and parks near the stadium hours and hours before the game starts. Homeowners/businesses/public lots with ample parking charge people to park their cars and then instead of going into the stadium everyone just gets out grills/games and eats/drinks until it's time to either go into the game/listen on the radio/go to a nearby spot to watch/pass out until it's over.

How you're received in different groups will depend on the attitude of the groups, but I'm guessing with your story about wanting to come to Indy to see the Colts/Pacers you'll be welcomed right in to 95% of any groupings you show up to. I imagine you'll get your fill of freely given food/booze.
    Sounds good! Was hoping it'd be quite a welcoming community and seems to sound that way.

Does this all happen right outside the stadium and is easy enough to find? How long before the games does it all start?

If there is anyone here running something though, would be great to join the party.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eamer For This Useful Post:

If your close enough to see the stadium, you'll be in the thick of tailgating. There will be tailgating 10 blocks away, but most of the festivities will be in the 4-5 blocks immediately to the stadium south/southeast.

Game starts at 7:30, I'd imagine there will be tailgaters well before noon. It will probably hit full stride around 3-4pm.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I bet the atmosphere will be great on thanksgiving night.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    If your close enough to see the stadium, you'll be in the thick of tailgating. There will be tailgating 10 blocks away, but most of the festivities will be in the 4-5 blocks immediately to the stadium south/southeast.

Game starts at 7:30, I'd imagine there will be tailgaters well before noon. It will probably hit full stride around 3-4pm.
    Thanks, just what I wanted to find out basically. Sounds a lot bigger than I'm expecting so really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I bet the atmosphere will be great on thanksgiving night.
    Let's hope so! You going?