Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bad judgement? He's not supposed to travel outside the US anymore? He wasn't travelling to Turkey, he was going elsewhere when his country apparently decided to cancel his travel documents out of the blue. I dunno, I don't think that's something anyone can reasonably anticipate.

He really should think about getting dual citizenship though.
    I would agree that it was bad judgement. Most of the world is not like the US. If you have been vocally opposed to the current political regime you have to take this kind of stuff into consideration.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I would agree that it was bad judgement. Most of the world is not like the US. If you have been vocally opposed to the current political regime you have to take this kind of stuff into consideration.
    You mean most of the world is not like Turkey. It might surprise some of you to learn that in a majority of countries in the world, getting your papers cancelled is NOT normal. Since Kanter wasn't actually going to Turkey, this was an inconvenience at worst, and indeed he was able to continue his travels pretty soon after. Also goes to show how vindictive Turkey's government is, but this won't be surprising to anyone familiar with Erdogan.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You mean most of the world is not like Turkey. It might surprise some of you to learn that in a majority of countries in the world, getting your papers cancelled is NOT normal. Since Kanter wasn't actually going to Turkey, this was an inconvenience at worst, and indeed he was able to continue his travels pretty soon after. Also goes to show how vindictive Turkey's government is, but this won't be surprising to anyone familiar with Erdogan.
    No, I mean most of the world is not like the US. Outside of the western world being put in jail for taking a stance against your government is not uncommon. This is especially true when it comes to Islamic states. So no it shouldn't be a surprise when an Islamic state cancels his papers.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/05/22/...me-us-citizen/

Death threats may prompt Thunder’s Enes Kanter to become US citizen

Oklahoma City center Enes Kanter said Monday he routinely received death threats for criticizing the government of his native Turkey, and he may seek an expedited process toward becoming a U.S. citizen.

Kanter was detained at an airport in Romania over the weekend, with border police there saying they did so because Turkish authorities canceled his passport. Kanter eventually was allowed to leave for London and then New York, after he said officials from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and others intervened on his behalf.

Kanter held a news conference in New York on Monday and said he was the target of two more death threats earlier in the day.

“This is definitely crazy right now,” he said.

Kanter has long been a critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, whom he has likened to Adolf Hitler on multiple occasions. Kanter contends, among other things, that a failed coup attempt last year was actually staged by the Erdogan-led government.

“I call it the fake coup attempt,” Kanter said. “Last year, they did a fake coup attempt themselves, so they can control everything. So right now, the Erdogan government is controlling the army, controlling the police, controlling judges, controlling journalists, everything.”

Kanter makes no secret of his support of Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen, who opposes Erdogan. Kanter said that when he was detained in Romania, he feared he would be sent back to Turkey.

Kanter said he has not spoken with his parents and other relatives in Turkey in more than a year.

“There’s no democracy. There’s no freedom of speech, freedom of religion. It’s definitely been crazy,” Kanter said. “Right now, even if I tried to communicate with my parents, my mom, my dad, my brother or sister, they would probably right now listen on their phones and as soon as they are in contact with me they’ll put them in a jail. And the jails are not fun, of course.”

Kanter has a green card for entry to the U.S. but no passport, which is problematic on several fronts. He had several international trips planned this summer on his foundation’s behalf, and he also likely would not be able to enter Canada without the passport – a problem considering Oklahoma City plays once each season in Toronto.

Romanian Border Police Spokesman Fabian Badila told The Associated Press that Kanter arrived Saturday at about 1 p.m. from Frankfurt at Bucharest’s Henri Coanda Airport, traveling on a Turkish passport.

“My colleagues discovered … that the passport had been canceled by Turkish authorities, and legally he is not allowed to enter Romania,” Badila said.

Kanter has been in the NBA for six seasons. He averaged 14.3 points and 6.7 rebounds this season for the Thunder. He said it’s his understanding that the process to become a U.S. citizen can take five years, though he hopes that can be accelerated in his case.

“I feel like this is my home now,” Kanter said.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Don't they smell like donkeys over there?
    Is this an inside joke of some kind? Maybe I'm missing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post
    Is this an inside joke of some kind? Maybe I'm missing it
    Granger tweeted this aromatic fact a few years ago.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Granger tweeted this aromatic fact a few years ago.
    lol thanks. Makes much more sense now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lamar Mundane For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...rkey-passport/

Im really surprised to see him defend his position like this...

Sports Logo

Turkey issued an arrest warrant for him

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Turkey issued an arrest warrant for him

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Declaring war on an NBA player because he hurt your feelings? Sounds stable...

They let him go in Romania though, so this seems more symbolic than anything, in a "don't come back" sort of way. Don't think they actually want the headache of actually imprisoning him over free speech..
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-26-2017 at 04:56 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

"Let him go in Romania" - Um, Romania isn't controlled by Turkey. He wasn't arrested in Romania, he was refused entry because he didn't have valid travel documents (thanks to Turkey cancelling his passport). What it meant was that he had to go somewhere else that would accept him, e.g. the US, since he's a US resident, and I'm sure being a well-known athlete didn't hurt his case.

The arrest warrant is a big deal. Technically it obliges friendly countries to arrest him on Turkey's behalf and extradite him back to Turkey. This includes the US, a NATO ally of Turkey. On the plus side for Kanter, the US has so far refused to extradite similar people like Fethullah Gulen, so it seems unlikely that Kanter will be extradited either. But still, he'll have to be very careful now which countries he travels to. And if the political situation in the US changes, well, he's SOL.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Let him go in Romania" - Um, Romania isn't controlled by Turkey. He wasn't arrested in Romania, he was refused entry because he didn't have valid travel documents (thanks to Turkey cancelling his passport). What it meant was that he had to go somewhere else that would accept him, e.g. the US, since he's a US resident, and I'm sure being a well-known athlete didn't hurt his case.

The arrest warrant is a big deal. Technically it obliges friendly countries to arrest him on Turkey's behalf and extradite him back to Turkey. This includes the US, a NATO ally of Turkey. On the plus side for Kanter, the US has so far refused to extradite similar people like Fethullah Gulen, so it seems unlikely that Kanter will be extradited either. But still, he'll have to be very careful now which countries he travels to. And if the political situation in the US changes, well, he's SOL.
    The US isn't going to extradite someone for free speech. It will not happen. Turkey knows this.

They could have had him when he was stuck in Romania. They waited until he was safely back in the USA before they issued this "warrant."
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-26-2017 at 05:40 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tu...-idUSKBN18M1V8

By Ece Toksabay and Gina Cherelus | ANKARA/NEW YORK
    Enes Kanter, the Turkish NBA star whose home country has revoked his passport, on Friday expressed disdain on social media at reports that Turkey's government had issued a warrant for his arrest.

"You can’t catch me. Don’t waste your breath. I will come on my own will anyway, to spit on your ugly, hateful faces," Kanter said in a Twitter post accompanied by a photo of a story by Turkish newspaper Sabah about the arrest warrant.

Kanter's agent, the National Basketball Association player's union and representatives for the Oklahoma City Thunder, Kanter's team, did not respond to requests for comment.

Kanter, a vocal critic of Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, was detained in Romania on May 20 when authorities learned his Turkish passport had been revoked. He returned to the United States on Sunday.

On Monday in New York, Kanter lashed out at Erdogan at a news conference, calling him the "Hitler of our century."

The 6-foot-11-inch center was traveling on a charity and promotional tour. He holds a U.S. green card that allows him to live and work in the country on a permanent basis.

Criticism of Erdogan has intensified since an April referendum made constitutional changes that gave the Turkish leader new powers in a move some called an authoritative power grab. On May 17, a street brawl erupted in Washington, D.C., between protesters and Turkish security personnel during Erdogan's visit to the U.S. capital.

Turkey blamed the violence on demonstrators, while the Washington police called it a "brutal attack" on peaceful protesters.

Turkey and the United States are close allies, cooperating in the fight against the group Islamic State.

The Sabah newspaper said on Friday that Kanter was named a "fugitive" by a Turkish court for his support of U.S-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania since 1999. Erdogan is seeking Gulen's extradition for his alleged role in a failed coup last July, something Gulen has denied.

A representative of the prosecutor's office in Istanbul declined to comment and Turkey's Ministry of Justice was not available to comment. Officials with the Turkish embassy in Washington could not immediately be reached for comment.

The investigation of Kanter was reportedly coordinated and carried out by Istanbul prosecutors. The court's ruling had determined Kanter was allegedly a user of ByLock, a secure communication application for smartphones that was used by an organization in support of Gulen and supposedly during a failed coup against Erdogan last July, Sabah reported.

The court said Kanter was sharing messages praising the organization on social media and said he was called to testify multiple times but refused, making him a fugitive, according to the Turkish newspaper.

The prosecutor's office requested that the Justice Ministry contact officials to issue a red notice for Kanter, which would prevent him from traveling, Sabah reported.

(Reporting by Ece Toksabay; Writing and additional reporting by Gina Cherelus; Editing by Dan Grebler)
    "They want to be famous. We want to be champions. They want to be rappers and backup dancers. We want to play football." - T.J. Ward, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    The US isn't going to extradite someone for free speech. It will not happen. Turkey knows this.

They could have had him when he was stuck in Romania. They waited until he was safely back in the USA before they issued this "warrant."
    Romania is an EU country, they would never extradite him. They would be breaking all sorts of EU directives and the Human rights convention. Hard enough to get real criminals moved within the EU itself. You could beat up a person or steal something here in Lithuania, and as long as it's not super serious (i. e. no serious long term damage to the person's health, you didn't steal something of huge value), you could run off to Romania or Spain or Sweden and live there openly and happily, and little we could do to get you back.
    You'd have to be a real badass criminal to get extradited from the EU to Turkey, and even then there would be a question of what the person would face in Turkey. I imagine in many cases even major criminals wouldn't get extradited.
    If there's a real risk a criminal's human rights would be abused (by EU perception), even a major criminal can't be extradited. If the US asked Romania to extradite Timothy McVeigh or Ted Bundy, Romania would be obliged to say no by EU regulations.
    Last edited by hackashaq; 05-27-2017 at 10:31 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Really sad situation in Turkey. Obviously will threaten Enes through his dad.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-