Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    24,508

    Default Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Well, this is wild.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/en...disowning-him/

    Enes Kanter has had a tumultuous summer and it has nothing to do with Kevin Durant leaving the Oklahoma City Thunder. The Turkish big man has been disowned by his parents for supporting a Pennsylvania-based cleric named Fethullah Gulen. During the attempted coup in the Turkish government last month, Gulen was suspected of being involved with the group that tried to overthrow Turkey's president, Tayyip Erdogan.

    Kanter's support of Gulen, which even included a letter posted on social media that was signed "Enes (Kanter) Gulen," has left his parents publicly apologizing to all of Turkey for the existence of their son.
    Not to get into politics, but what's going on in Turkey is insane. I feel bad for Kanter, because that's a terrible thing to go through, and I feel bad for his family, who surely was pressured to do this. No winners in this bizarre situation.

    Except maybe the jersey sales people.
    This space for rent.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    DONCIC 2018 PacersHomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,779

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    I don't know if they were pressured into it. Even Turks who love Erdogan might hate Gulen. I've seen it a lot. Gulen is beloved by his supporters but is hated by everyone else.

  4. #3

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Yeah, why did he sign with that last name? Seems like he caused problems for his family, not vice versa.

  5. #4

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, why did he sign with that last name? Seems like he caused problems for his family, not vice versa.
    The article indicated his father asked him to change his last name.

    Galen is by all accounts I have seen, not involved in the coup and is being scapegoated by a government that is trying to revive the Ottoman Empire. It's a scary situation.

  6. #5
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    27,740

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Families have been/are being rounded up by the Turkish government in order to get leverage on people to turn themselves in. Many Turkish reporters wives, for example, have been jailed to get said reporters who were supposedly involved in the coup.

    Sad a family would disown their son over this. Even sadder if the family felt they needed to distance themselves in order to keep themselves safe from their government.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    10,182

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    The whole Turkey situation feels like a setup to me.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,977

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The whole Turkey situation feels like a setup to me.

    Erdogan is going to be a problem in the future. As was noted above he wants to bring back the Ottoman empire.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    10,182

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Erdogan is going to be a problem in the future. As was noted above he wants to bring back the Ottoman empire.
    Possibly, but then again he could also be a strong ally. It just depends on what his end goals are, and we don't really know what those are. A new Ottoman Empire is not necessarily a bad thing.

    Anyways this is a basketball forum, so I'm not going to say anything more on the topic.

  13. #9
    #Biggie4NPOY Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,234

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    this is to keep his parents out of prison

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  15. #10

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    I thought about posting this the other day myself but I wasn't sure if it would be allowed given the political nature of the whole thing.

  16. #11
    You've got no fans! IrishPacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,741

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is to keep his parents out of prison
    The amount of journalists that have been thrown in jail over the last few weeks in Turkey are insane. Presumably a deliberate overreaction by his family to avoid jail.
    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

    Change is neither good or bad, it simply is.

  17. #12
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    41
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The amount of journalists that have been thrown in jail over the last few weeks in Turkey are insane. Presumably a deliberate overreaction by his family to avoid jail.
    ... and it's not just journalists... Everyone arrested is beying called a Gulen-sympathizer and I'm sure there will be lots amongst the ones arrested, but I'd wage my year's salary there's a lot of Kemal Ataturk sympathizers amongst the arrested too. Erdogan might look strong now, but his way of doing ''business'' both domestically and internationally has earned him a LOT of enemies. This is going to cost Turkey in the long run. Country was on the right track, so it's rather sad as it is to see so many people with a Turkish background in Europe support Erdogan, who basically opposes everything they enjoy the fruits of living here.
    Last edited by Mourning; 08-11-2016 at 05:49 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    41
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if they were pressured into it. Even Turks who love Erdogan might hate Gulen. I've seen it a lot. Gulen is beloved by his supporters but is hated by everyone else.
    I consider it pretty damn likely they were pressured into it, because the Turks that support/love Erdogan are the ones who oppose/hate Gulen and guess whose pretty much in sole power in Turkey now? I certainly wouldn't say everyone else hates Gulen in Turkish society, I'd also arque that the propaganda and lack of free press has helped incite a lot of people into hating Gulen (as he's together with the Kurds, Armenian and Allevite minorities and Kemal Ataturk supporters who are mainly opposing Erdogan...).
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  20. #14
    Member Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    26,507

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I certainly wouldn't say everyone else hates Gulen in Turkish society, I'd also arque that the propaganda and lack of free press has helped incite a lot of people into hating Gulen (as he's together with the Kurds, Armenian and Allevite minorities and Kemal Ataturk supporters who are mainly opposing Erdogan...).
    As far as I know, Gülen is not popular among Turkey's minorities. His stance against the Kurds, for example, is even worse than Erdoğan's. Also, it's important to note that Gülen was Erdoğan's mentor up until a couple of years ago. The two of them were very close. They really aren't so different.

    Disclaimer: All of the above is based on hearsay. I have never been to Turkey so it's possible that I'm wrong. But this is what I've heard from people living in Turkey.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

  21. #15
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    10,182

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As far as I know, Gülen is not popular among Turkey's minorities. His stance against the Kurds, for example, is even worse than Erdoğan's. Also, it's important to note that Gülen was Erdoğan's mentor up until a couple of years ago. The two of them were very close. They really aren't so different.

    Disclaimer: All of the above is based on hearsay. I have never been to Turkey so it's possible that I'm wrong. But this is what I've heard from people living in Turkey.
    Nope, you are correct. They used to be on the same side, then had some kind of falling out. Now Gulen is in self exile in the US because it wasn't safe for him to stay in Turkey. Now Erdogan likes to use him as an escape goat.

  22. #16

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/20/ene...f-our-century/

    Enes Kanter Claims His Passport Was Canceled By Turkish Embassy, Calls Turkish President Erdogan "Hitler of our century"

    Enes Kanterof the Oklahoma City Thunder is being held at a Romanian airport by police today. Kanter says his passport was canceled by the Turkish embassy because of his political views and blames Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the president of Turkey. Earlier this week, after a meeting with Donald Trump in Washington, D.C., Erdogan’s bodyguards were caught on video attacking protesters.

    In his video Kanter calls Erdogan “a dictator and the Hitler of our century.”

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  24. #17
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,705

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Well, he's going to spend some time in a Turkish prison. Really bad judgement to leave the country and give Erogdan the opportunity to make an example of him.

    He's probably going to make a public apology in the future. At gun point.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  25. #18

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family



  26. #19

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/s...rref=undefined

    N.B.A. Player Enes Kanter Released After Being Held in Romania


    Enes Kanter, a center for the N.B.A.’s Oklahoma City Thunder, said in a video posted on Twitter Saturday morning that he had been detained at a Romanian airport, with the authorities telling him that his passport had been canceled.

    Kanter, who is Turkish, said that his political opposition to Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, was the reason for the detention, although the Romanian authorities reported that he was later released to continue his travels, which was confirmed by the N.B.A.


    Follow
    Enes Kanter ✔ @Enes_Kanter
    I'm being held at Romanian airport by Police!!
    9:20 AM - 20 May 2017
    8,913 8,913 Retweets 9,664 9,664 likes
    Twitter Ads info & Privacy
    “Today at around 1 p.m. local time an individual arrived from Frankfurt,” Fabian Badila, a spokesman for the Romanian border police, said in an interview. “My colleagues established that his travel documents weren’t valid, that they had been canceled by his home country, so he wasn’t allowed to enter the country.

    “At around 5 p.m., he left the airport on a flight to London,” Mr. Badila continued. “While he was at the airport he wasn’t detained or locked up, he was allowed to wander around, but he couldn’t enter the country.”

    Continue reading the main story
    ADVERTISEMENT

    Continue reading the main story

    As of Saturday afternoon, Kanter had not posted anything online indicating that he had been allowed to leave Romania, but the N.B.A. said they had worked with the state department to ensure his release and that he had safely arrived in London.

    Kanter was in the midst of a tour for his Enes Kanter Light Foundation when he arrived in Bucharest, the Romanian capital, and was subsequently detained.

    “The reason behind it is, of course, my political views,” Kanter said in the video, in which he claimed to have been in custody for hours.

    “You guys know him by, you know, he has attacked the people in Washington,” Kanter said in reference to a recent episode involving Mr. Erdogan’s bodyguards and protesters in Washington. “He is a bad, bad man; he is a dictator and he is the Hitler of our century.”

    Kanter, who turned 25 on Saturday, is known to support Fethullah Gulen, an Islamic cleric based in the United States who has been accused of orchestrating last year’s failed coup against Erdogan.

    If Kanter were to be deported to Turkey rather than being allowed to continue his travels, he could face imprisonment. The Turkish authorities have arrested thousands of people thought to be supporters of Mr. Gulen since the failed coup, which Turkey’s government believes Mr. Gulen led.

    Newsletter Sign UpContinue reading the main story
    Sports
    Get the big sports news, highlights and analysis from Times journalists, delivered to your inbox every week.


    Enter your email address
    Sign Up

    Receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

    SEE SAMPLE PRIVACY POLICY
    Along with the video, Kanter posted two photos of himself with officers holding him at the airport. In English, he just wrote “#FreeEnes”; in Turkish, he wrote “Haha, the police officers guarding us are taking pictures. Who do you think you are messing with you cowards.”

    Contacted for comment, a Thunder representative said the team was working with N.B.A. officials to gather information through appropriate channels, but had no further information on Saturday.

    This was not the first time that Kanter has had problems because of his outspoken views about Mr. Erdogan. It was reported in July that he had received death threats after he criticized the government after a terrorist attack in Turkey. He posted screenshots on Twitter of messages he had received with phrases like “You will die soon” and violent imagery.

    In August, Kanter’s father, Mehmet, publicly condemned his son’s political views, writing a letter published by Turkish media claiming his son had been hypnotized by Mr. Gulen.

    “With a feeling of shame I apologize to our president and the Turkish people for having such a son,” Mehmet Kanter wrote in the letter.

    Kanter, while born in Switzerland, is one of Turkey’s most famous athletes. He has said that his political views caused him to be left off the Turkish national basketball team for EuroBasket 2015. The team’s coach, Ergin Ataman, denied the accusation.

    Kanter, who is 6 feet 11 inches tall, is a six-year N.B.A. veteran who has been with the Thunder since a trade during the 2014-15 season. He college career at the University of Kentucky was cut short after the N.C.A.A. ruled him permanently ineligible because he had been paid by a club in Europe before enrolling at the university.

    Kanter’s day on social media started with him retweeting the N.B.A. wishing him a happy 25th birthday, but within an hour of that message he was posting photos of the incident in the airport.

    Kanter’s concluded his video saying, “I will keep you posted guys, but just pray for us, and I’ll tell you guys what’s going on.” He has yet to acknowledge his release or his arrival in London on social media.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  28. #20
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,555

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, he's going to spend some time in a Turkish prison. Really bad judgement to leave the country and give Erogdan the opportunity to make an example of him.

    He's probably going to make a public apology in the future. At gun point.
    Have you ever made a statement that is not 100% framed in certainty? I just ask because you're wrong a lot.

    He was traveling to support a foundation, but yes, really bad judgement.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 05-20-2017 at 05:35 PM.



  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  30. #21
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,827

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Bad judgement? He's not supposed to travel outside the US anymore? He wasn't travelling to Turkey, he was going elsewhere when his country apparently decided to cancel his travel documents out of the blue. I dunno, I don't think that's something anyone can reasonably anticipate.

    He really should think about getting dual citizenship though.

  31. #22
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    32,705

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you ever made a statement that is not 100% framed in certainty? I just ask because you're wrong a lot.

    He was traveling to support a foundation, but yes, really bad judgement.
    Knowing that his country is led by a madman and could cancel his passport at any time? Yeah. As soon as he boarded the plane they revoked it.

    And have you ever not tried to take my comments out of context like that?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  32. #23
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    31
    Posts
    10,866

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, he's going to spend some time in a Turkish prison. Really bad judgement to leave the country and give Erogdan the opportunity to make an example of him.

    He's probably going to make a public apology in the future. At gun point.
    Are you suggesting that Romania, a European Union country, is going to deport a well-known U.S. visa holding political dissident with a legitimate, documented fear of government persecution to his home, non EU country? Because it isn't going to happen.

  33. #24
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,848

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Don't they smell like donkeys over there?
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference


  34. #25
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,202

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kanter changes his last name after being disowned by his family

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't they smell like donkeys over there?
    non-filtered camels
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •