Thread: Alex Rodriguez expected to announce his retirement

Default Alex Rodriguez expected to announce his retirement

Default Re: Alex Rodriguez expected to announce his retirement

Good. The more D-bags like him that go away, the better the sports will be.

And he'll never sniff the HOF.

I'm ambivalent towards A-Rod in general but I'm always amused how PED's are so awful in baseball (yet the MLB knew and looked the other way for years when it was convenient for them) yet are more accepted in other sports like football.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great career. Certainly an all time great Yankee. Hopefully that 13 is retired someday.

Lots of great players retiring this year in all the sports.

I don't see any of the current players that I will care about as much when they retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm ambivalent towards A-Rod in general but I'm always amused how PED's are so awful in baseball (yet the MLB knew and looked the other way for years when it was convenient for them) yet are more accepted in other sports like football.
    Baseball's numbers are, well were sacred. 714, 755, 61, 500 home runs, etc, were all numbers you knew of immediately even if you weren't a big fan. Now those are tainted to the point that very few people even cared when Arod reached 600 home runs. It is a double standard no doubt, but I think the fact that those home run records have been devalued weighs more heavily, especially on those older baseball fans for whom they were so important.

Sports Logo

Kinda peculiar how Bonds and A-Rod catch so much hatred when with McGwire and Pettite and Clemens and etc etc it's a "yeah, but that whole generation was doing it."

If a dude was juiced and hit a dinger off a pitcher that was juiced that's still a dinger in my book. Nobody cares about the mound getting raised, which is arguably a bigger advantage for pitchers (juiced or not), nobody cares about asterisks or hyphens in the record book. ****, for all the holy sanctimony of the MLB record books, nobody cares about friggin MLB segregation. Nobody's asking for an asterisk HOF wing of all those dudes like Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb and Lou Gehrig and the bulk of DiMaggio's career that played before 1947.

And yes, I'm saying a whole buncha baseball fans are racists. Wanna make that real clear.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kinda peculiar how Bonds and A-Rod catch so much hatred when with McGwire and Pettite and Clemens and etc etc it's a "yeah, but that whole generation was doing it."

If a dude was juiced and hit a dinger off a pitcher that was juiced that's still a dinger in my book. Nobody cares about the mound getting raised, which is arguably a bigger advantage for pitchers (juiced or not), nobody cares about asterisks or hyphens in the record book. ****, for all the holy sanctimony of the MLB record books, nobody cares about friggin MLB segregation. Nobody's asking for an asterisk HOF wing of all those dudes like Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb and Lou Gehrig and the bulk of DiMaggio's career that played before 1947.

And yes, I'm saying a whole buncha baseball fans are racists. Wanna make that real clear.
    Roger Clemens and McGwire were completely raked over the coals for years. They certainly didn't get any sort of pass, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Their reputations were completely ruined just like Bonds and A-Rod.

People went soft on Pettitte for two reasons: 1) He came clean, and 2) he's not a supreme all time great like most of the other famous juicers, so people aren't as emotionally invested in arguing about him. Guys like Bonds and Clemens are among the very best ever.

For the record, I don't lose sleep over PED's and would vote these guys into the HOF. What's always bothered me though is how David Ortiz has basically avoided having his reputation tarnished unlike virtually everyone else who has been associated with PED's. His name was on that 2003 list. It was a story for about 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-08-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Yeah, I don't see this big difference in the current opinion on McGwire and Clemens. Now at the time, McGwire and Sosa were hailed as saving baseball, but by the time Bonds came around the public awareness of new PEDs was much greater.

Plus Bonds has always presented himself poorly to the media and public. He's just not likeable.

Hope he can get some good at bats in at Fenway since that's where he made his debut all the way back in 1994.

I'll remember him for ................

I'll remember him turning into A-Ruth during that special 2009 run where he pretty much put the team on his back in October.

Glad to see him get an RBI and that thunderous standing ovation. Thanks for the memories, champ.