Default Re: Indiana Hoosier Athletics 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2017:

Colts hire new GM
    IU hires new coach
    Pacers ?????
    Pacers... are they still around?
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Where IU messed up was not understanding sooner that Crean was not the long term answer and letting Stevens get away in the first place. I would've canned Crean after the Syracuse loss (not for just that reason alone but it was the cherry on top) and said "Brad, we want you in Bloomington".

Now they've wasted more time with Crean for no gain, and in almost all certainty lost any realistic shot at Stevens... which would've been the perfect hire... then... now... anytime...
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tom Crean fired.

It just has a nice ring to it.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

I forgot about Mark Few. I mean, at some point Mark Few will cash in right? Or is he just content with where he is for life. I have to believe Few is thinking to himself about how much more often will a job like IU come available.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Not sure who he is, but hey, checkmark next to his name. Interesting if it's true.

Glass said in his press release that he has been empowered to conduct the search without a committee, so the boosters and alum have a great deal of confidence in him. Never liked the search firms so glad we aren't doing that.

In his column crediting IU fans (somewhat facetiously) for getting Crean canned, Doyel seemed pretty confident that IU would at least reach out to gauge Chris Holtmann's interest.
    Local radio guy.

Yep, basically all of the message board insiders are saying Billy Donovan is the #1 name to watch.

Is there something going on with Donovan in the NBA that i dont know about? Does he really not like the NBA? Why do we think this?

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    Is there something going on with Donovan in the NBA that i dont know about? Does he really not like the NBA? Why do we think this?
    From what I've heard, they say Donovan prefers the college game to the NBA and that IU is supposedly offering a boatload of money. These message board insiders were right about Crean, so we'll see if they're right about Donovan.

Like I said a few posts back...
    The grass isn't always greener on the other side and not everyone sees the NBA as where they want to land or stay. Coaching IU versus OKC is a different discussion than coaching Depauw versus OKC.

But the biggest reason could be because Durant bailed. And Westbrook could potentially bail in the near future, if not be traded if OKC thinks the writing is on the wall. So this isn't exactly the OKC team he signed on to coach.

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Glass has fired the football and basketball coaches within a few months of each other. It's not very often that a major school fires both coaches of its two main sports programs within such a short period of time. Glass isn't screwing around.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Durant leaving had to have sucked for him. With a healthy Durant-Westbrook, they were pretty much always guaranteed a seat at the WCF's with the NBA Finals a reasonably possibility. But now, even with Westbrook averaging a triple double, the Thunder probably won't be making the NBA Finals anytime soon.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Glass has fired the football and basketball coaches within a few months of each other. It's not very often that a major school fires both coaches of its two main sports programs within such a short period of time. Glass isn't screwing around.
    You know... Maybe he learned a lesson with Stevens. He let a perfect hire get away and out of his grasp to stick with a lesser coach and it paid no dividends and ultimately got his own job called into question.

A lot of people really liked what Allen did this season and speculation immediately ramped up about whether IU could keep him and what HCing offers he'd get.
    The next thing you know, Glass is firing Wilson and promoting Allen to HC. There were apparently other factors, but how much would those factors have risen to the level of firing if Allen wasn't there for the taking?

Hopefully, there's something more than just Crean's expiration date being reached and an opportunity to make a homerun hire that Glass didn't want to pass up.

BTW... for those last few Crean fans out there, I hope they take up a collection and buy Crean a headstone that reads "2016 Big Ten Coach of the Year and regular season champion".

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Where IU messed up was not understanding sooner that Crean was not the long term answer and letting Stevens get away in the first place. I would've canned Crean after the Syracuse loss (not for just that reason alone but it was the cherry on top) and said "Brad, we want you in Bloomington".

Now they've wasted more time with Crean for no gain, and in almost all certainty lost any realistic shot at Stevens... which would've been the perfect hire... then... now... anytime...
    lol no one would have done that

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    From what I've heard, they say Donovan prefers the college game to the NBA and that IU is supposedly offering a boatload of money. These message board insiders were right about Crean, so we'll see if they're right about Donovan.
    I'll bite. Is this from Peegs guys and what are they saying about timing?

[QUOTE=Sollozzo;2206989]Glass has fired the football and basketball coaches within a few months of each other. It's not very often that a major school fires both coaches of its two main sports programs within such a short period of time. Glass isn't screwing around.[/QUOTE

For very different reasons though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I'll bite. Is this from Peegs guys and what are they saying about timing?
    From a couple guys on the 247 site, apparently the timing is the only significant hurdle left in the discussions. Haven't followed their posts that closely so maybe missed some details but that's the gist of it.

Saying the timing is the only significant hurdle is a bit like saying the only thing that sank the titanic was the iceberg.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

From a couple guys on the 247 site, apparently the timing is the only significant hurdle left in the discussions. Haven't followed their posts that closely so maybe missed some details but that's the gist of it.
    I call ********.

Minnesota getting **** canned. My lord the Big Ten was putrid. I really think that had to weigh on Glass's mind. The Big Ten was so bad. IU should have been able to go 12-6 or 11-7 with no problem.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Saying the timing is the only significant hurdle is a bit like saying the only thing that sank the titanic was the iceberg.
    Pretty sure IU would be willing to work around it if they knew Donovan was coming though.

I call ********.
    Sounds too good to be true to me as well, but that's what they're saying.

Pretty sure IU would be willing to work around it if they knew Donovan was coming though.
    To me the bigger question is, how do you sell the Thunder on all this? Kinda embarrassing as an NBA team if your coach is signing on with someone else while you're in playoff contention. And I really doubt IU would wait til the very end of the season for a commitment. They'd want one before that.

To me the bigger question is, how do you sell the Thunder on all this? Kinda embarrassing as an NBA team if your coach is signing on with someone else while you're in playoff contention. And I really doubt IU would wait til the very end of the season for a commitment. They'd want one before that.
    I'd imagine they'll have intermediaries going back and forth so Glass and Donovan can maintain plausible deniability about contact. "No I haven't talked to Indiana"; "No, I have not spoken with Billy" etc. They will have the parameters hashed out behind the scenes if that's the move Billy wants to make and then just keep it quiet until the Thunder are done. If he's IU's guy and he let's them know that he's taking the job then they will be more than happy to wait.

I'd imagine they'll have intermediaries going back and forth so Glass and Donovan can maintain plausible deniability about contact. "No I haven't talked to Indiana"; "No, I have not spoken with Billy" etc. They will have the parameters hashed out behind the scenes if that's the move Billy wants to make and then just keep it quiet until the Thunder are done. If he's IU's guy and he let's them know that he's taking the job then they will be more than happy to wait.
    Man...I dunno, my guess is IU would say you can coach through the end of the Thunder's year, but we need to announce this by first week of April