Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38788485868788
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2190

Thread: Indiana Hoosier Athletics 2016-2017

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana Hoosier Athletics 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    kid's going to Louisville. no hate, well a little, but I try to keep it even keeled. wouldn't want anything but the best for the kid save a few nights/afternoons for a year. just think there's too much history, much as you can get with a 17 year old anyway, with Romeo and Pitino and the style, locale, and recent success fit for Archie to get in this late. but hey, if he can pull it off more power to him. just would take Louisville against the field. Swanigan was going to Michigan State til he wasn't and had people freaking out about never signing an LOI (never sign an LOI kids) until he actually showed up in uniform so who knows, "late in the game" isn't actually late now.
    I won't be surprised at all if it's Louisville since it would mean his family could see him play all the time. The major knock against Louisville though is that while Pitino's system leads to obvious college success, it doesn't exactly translate to molding guys for NBA lottery picks (the amount of NBA Players from Louisville during Pitino's era is practically non-existant......Francisco Garcia and that's about it). Langford will obviously make the NBA no matter what, but there are other programs who would probably groom him better. Pitino really forces guys into his system. I think other coaches would give him more freedom.

I graduated from the same High School that Langford is at, so I've followed him closely and have seen him play in person quite a few times. Everyone knew he'd be a phenom when he was in junior high.

I've always liked Louisville's program and dislike UK, but as a Langford fan I think I'd rather see him go to UK because it would probably help his draft position.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm happy that IU seems to finally be getting back on track. I needs me some basketball in my life, and I can't stand what the NBA has become.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Whenever I saw a recruit announcement for Indiana, I use to go "meh, Crean will screw his career some how". Now I can't do that, so this time it actually hurts especially since Anderson was very pro-Purdue. Creanless Indiana is going to be hard to experience for non-Indiana fans.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Just feels like "optimistic wildcard" mode for both IUFB and IUBB.

I still think IUFB lacks a QB (which, y'know, is a problem) and is starved for playmakers like they've had at RB in recent years ... but I actually believe in a HC for the first time since I've watched the program, and think that defense is gonna keep every game close regardless.

I'm not really sure what Archie Miller's in-game coaching ability is ... but it would be hard to say the current roster is bereft of talent (especially if you buy stock in De'Ron Davis), and it's hard to say the recruiting trail doesn't look promising.

Would be nice for IUBB to get back to a recruiting reality where they're not consistently betting the farm on 2-3* recruits when they're underclassmen, then not having a place for them when they don't really evolve more from that point. I get that it's a gamble everyone faces in CBB, but sick of seeing kids screwed over by programs who believe in them too early and then have to "deal with them" later.

Doesn't the NCAA penalties put a damper on the Langford to UofL talk?
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Doesn't the NCAA penalties put a damper on the Langford to UofL talk?
    From everything I've heard, UofL is the leader still for Langford, but Archie has made up a lot of ground in not a lot of time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post

I'm not really sure what Archie Miller's in-game coaching ability is ... but it would be hard to say the current roster is bereft of talent (especially if you buy stock in De'Ron Davis), and it's hard to say the recruiting trail doesn't look promising.

Would be nice for IUBB to get back to a recruiting reality where they're not consistently betting the farm on 2-3* recruits when they're underclassmen, then not having a place for them when they don't really evolve more from that point. I get that it's a gamble everyone faces in CBB, but sick of seeing kids screwed over by programs who believe in them too early and then have to "deal with them" later.
    I can't wait for you to see the disparity between Archie and Painter/Crean. I guarantee you will see less hands claps and nail biting. The guy is brilliant in that regard.

I dont know know what you mean about reality. The recurits for next class are 4*s who are not one and done. I don't have any hesitancy in thinking Archie will get the players he can manage to compete. One thing that is unproven: can Archie find players he can develop like Crean. Victor and O.G. are players that were under the radar and were developed into top notch talent.

But it do you need to hinge the entirety of your program on that development? Cream did. But one thing that Archie will prove he has more than Crean is in game management.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Just feels like "optimistic wildcard" mode for both IUFB and IUBB.

I still think IUFB lacks a QB (which, y'know, is a problem) and is starved for playmakers like they've had at RB in recent years ... but I actually believe in a HC for the first time since I've watched the program, and think that defense is gonna keep every game close regardless.

That's never been the reality for IU. I know we like to crap on Crean, but come on now.

It's so hard to judge any IU coach til you see the product on the floor. Archie's recruiting bonanza at the start of this week was nice and sniping a 4* guy that everyone thought was a Purdue lock is an amazing look for Archie, but I've always been a guy who thinks any schmo should be able to recruit at IU. I don't say that to disparage Archie at all clearly he has a plan and is enacting it, just that I need to see this team's style in the fall to finally feel comfortable that we're on the right track.

Archie has the pedigree and his dayton teams were really fun to watch though so I am hoping we have finally found the guy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Also I'm very, very confused by a 4* guy re-classifying to 17 from 18 and then taking a redshirt year. Is there any precedent of a top 100 guy doing that like Race Thompson is this year? (Also great IU basketball player name right there)

I'm just happy that we finally have a coach who has something resembling a plan. Crean was all over the place with his coaching, recruiting and overall program management, and that's how you get things like 3 defenders playing zone and 2 defenders in man, six man recruiting classes when you have three open scholarships, and players like Jeremiah April and Grant Gelon while far better recruiting targets end up at Xavier or Butler.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Also I'm very, very confused by a 4* guy re-classifying to 17 from 18 and then taking a redshirt year. Is there any precedent of a top 100 guy doing that like Race Thompson is this year? (Also great IU basketball player name right there)
    he wasn't a top 100 kid (seen rankings all over the place, from the 140s to the 300s since he was pretty unknown) but Matty Haarms at Purdue kinda did. but his was some sorta class eligibility issue because he's from the Netherlands and only spent like 9 months in the States. he enrolled in the 2nd semester and had to take a redshirt or lose a year of eligibility.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I've always been a guy who thinks any schmo should be able to recruit at IU
    I don't think that is the case anymore.