Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    http://www.realgm.com/src_fromtheraf...r_style_trade/

    Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade
    Authored by Christopher Reina - 4th May, 2005 - 7:06 pm

    With Dan Gilbert’s favorite team being the Detroit Pistons , it should come as no surprise if he and whomever is hired to become general manager, decide to trade LeBron James.

    Trading James is what they should do, following the model of Jerry Jones when he purchased the Dallas Cowboys and subsequently traded Herschel Walker for five roster players and six draft picks.

    That single trade triggered the Cowboys on their run of three Super Bowl's during the 1990’s. They were a true dynasty and probably the last NFL team to have depth at every position on the field.

    The Cavaliers have been attempting to assemble a supporting cast to surround James as Jerry Krause did in Chicago around Michael Jordan, but the current roster in Cleveland shows none of the promise of those Bulls teams in the very late 1980’s.

    James’ trade value gives Gilbert the opportunity to build a team-based club, very similar to the Pistons of today and the Pistons of the 80’s.

    Maneuver #1: Complete sign-and-trade of Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

    There are several teams that would love to sign Ilgauskas and would be willing to unload expiring contracts, young talent and multiple draft picks to make the deal work.

    Maneuver #2: Trade LeBron James.

    After getting great value from their Ilgauskas trade, the new Cavaliers GM will be blown away by the kind of offers he hears from the other end of his phone when he speaks to his fellow general managers and lets them know that the NBA’s greatest player twenty years or younger is available.

    The scrambling for Shaquille O’Neal last summer will pale in comparison to the way teams will go after LeBron. O’Neal has turned Miami into a top-5 NBA team, but he is an aging center on the backend of his career.

    The expiring contracts will be packaged along with James for two or three young players who are already proven, but who remain far from reaching the prime of their careers, which will allow them to continue to mature while draft pick after draft pick comes pouring in.

    Places That Would Make Sense

    Chicago: In Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Kirk Hinrich and Andres Nocioni, the Bulls have more than enough talent to send back to Cleveland. The Cavaliers could get three or four of these players. Taking the core of a Bulls team that finished 4th in the East, instantly makes the Cavaliers a legitimate playoff squad.

    Taking on LeBron James would be worth the risk for the Bulls, making 2005 appear to be an awful lot like 1985.

    Dallas: Mark Cuban always seems willing to make a trade, no matter how big it is. Assuming Dirk Nowitzki is indeed untouchable, Devin Harris and Josh Howard are two very good young players that would go great with the 5 consecutive unprotected first round picks that Cuban would relinquish.

    Taking on LeBron James in Dallas would also make it a poetic place for him since they were the sly givers of Walker over a decade ago.

    Golden State: Mike Dunleavy, Mickael Pietrus and Andris Biedrins are three young players who could become two-thirds of a starting line-up while it searches for a point guard and a power forward.

    Taking on LeBron James would make the Warriors a top-4 team in the West. Baron Davis, Jason Richardson and James would be one eternal highlight reel that would put the Warriors into the playoffs for the first time since 1994.

    Portland: In order to trade for Zach Randolph, the Cavaliers would have to send Ilgauskas in this package. Cleveland would like to also receive Sebastian Telfair, who showed flashes of brilliance in the second half of the season.

    Taking on LeBron James would shorten James’ commute and the Blazers have been missing their Clyde Drexler franchise player ever since he left for Houston.

    Los Angeles Clippers : With the Clippers track record for not making the playoffs, a collection of lottery picks would be very attractive to Cleveland, along with Shaun Livingston and Chris Wilcox.

    Taking on LeBron James would instantly make the Clippers THE team in Los Angeles. His endorsements would surely improve upon their already strong fitting in the L.A. market and playing alongside Elton Brand would give him a steady inside presence that has been missing in Cleveland.

    Seattle: The Sonics could send Flip Murray, Antonio Daniels and Rashard Lewis, along with a couple picks and Cleveland might bite. Lewis had a breakout season as he developed a low post game and Murray and Daniels are reserves who would be starters for many teams in the NBA.

    Taking on LeBron James would give the Seattle a superstar as big as Ken Griffey, Jr. and a lethal wingmen combo in Allen and James.

    New York: Other than Trevor Ariza and Mike Sweetney, there are no players on the Knicks roster that would be attractive to Cleveland, but the power of the ‘Only In New York’ cliché shouldn’t be ruled out. The Lakers were able to land O’Neal in the prime of his career and the Knicks could somehow manage to land James, just don’t ask how it could be done.

    Taking on LeBron James would make MSG the center of the NBA universe for truly the first time and with the way the Knicks are willing to spend money, there is no doubt that they could surround him with talent.

    The Team Who Wins The Lottery: Whichever team wins the lottery might receive a call from Cleveland. Andrew Bogut is a better Bill Laimbeer and if Gilbert hires Laimbeer, there will be a definite urge to land the Utah center.

    The problem with any of these deals is whether any package that a team can put together would be worth giving up on the best player of his own generation, but because of the young talent and a collection of draft picks that they could get from trading James and Ilgauskas, Cleveland would be better equipped to win well into the future.

    It is a gamble that could turn the Cavaliers into a Dallas Cowboys dynasty, but also could send the franchise reeling back into the mediocrtiy they saw during the late 90's and what the Vikings saw after they traded for Walker, but if they don't make a deal it is likely that they will remain in the limbo between lottery team and NBA powerhouse.

    Christopher Reina is the Managing Editor of RealGM.com and may be reached at Christopher.Reina@RealGM.com.
    -----

    You know it would seem the Managing Editor of RealGM should know what he's talking about, but he doesn't.

    The NBA isn't like the NFL, one star player in the NBA makes a whole lot of difference. Historically the teams landing the big star have always done better than the team trading the star.

    Another point. Reina suggests Dallas give up 5 consecutive unprotected first round picks. The problem with that is teams are prohibited from giving up consecutive first round draft picks. Plus if he would have looked at his own site he would have seen that Dallas already owes it's 2007 first round pick to Denver.

    I don't mind fluff pieces like this obviously is, but I hate it when writers don't get their facts right. When the could so easily be checked.

    I know from personal experience that not checking your facts seems to always come back to bite you.

  2. #2
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    If they seriously tried to trade him, I would offer JO and Ron or whomever they want. Donnie Walsh could build a team around LeBron, I have no doubt.

    That said, never happening.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    People named Dan shouldn't own teams.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  4. #4
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they seriously tried to trade him, I would offer JO and Ron or whomever they want. Donnie Walsh could build a team around LeBron, I have no doubt.
    Yep, and LeBron has the mental poise that our franchise player still lacks. Think TD.

  5. #5
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    I was gonna say that this guy should be fired as a sportswriter.

    Since he's not a sportswriter he should be fired from something!

    If it had been up to him, the Bulls would've traded Jordan back when he was scoring 35 ppg and they were winning 40-45.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  7. #7
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    I read the first few lines of this article and I'm sorry I did. This guy is a complete idiot. The NFL is vastly different from the NBA for so many reasons. trading Bron would be idiotic.

  8. #8
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Stupid article! Why would you want those 2 players from Dallas and than their 5 first rounders? I mean those are going to be low first rounders. Doesn't make sense. And than that Portland trade
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  9. #9
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Dude, I couldn't even make it passed the first sentence.

  10. #10
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,630

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    I typed up a reply but eventually decided that the idea of Cleveland trading a still-hasn't-reached-his-potential LeBron is so rediculous that it's not even worth the effort.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  11. #11
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude, I couldn't even make it passed the first sentence.
    Well ... truth be told I read it in parts .

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  12. #12
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Bad bad bad.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    503

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.


    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People named Dan shouldn't own teams.
    Sucks for me.

  14. #14
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stupid article! Why would you want those 2 players from Dallas and than their 5 first rounders? I mean those are going to be low first rounders. Doesn't make sense. And than that Portland trade
    My personal favorite was the trade to the Warriors that wouldn't net the Cavs a guard but would get them Mike Dunleavy.

  15. #15
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,626

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    This is the case of just writing something for the sake of writing something.

    We are all dumber for having just read that crap.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  16. #16

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mr. Reina, what you have just written is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever read. At no point in your rambling incoherent article were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    Gotta love Billy
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  17. #17
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,960

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the case of just writing something for the sake of writing something.

    We are all dumber for having just read that crap.
    This is how I feel every day about Bob Kravitz.

    As for the article itself, can somebody who could actually read the whole thing tell me if he ends with "move the team to another city"? Because nobody in Cleveland would ever go to another game again. Since Gilbert's supposedly always bringing in former Spartans, maybe he can just move the team to Lansing and play in the Breslin Center.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  18. #18
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mr. Reina, what you have just written is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever read. At no point in your rambling incoherent article were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.




    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  19. #19
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Article-Cleveland Needs To Do A Herschel Walker Style Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is how I feel every day about Bob Kravitz.

    I've said several times I don't read Kravitz, but I have been reading him since the playoffs started. I was roped into by accident. After a playoff game the Star will sometimes have a half dozen articles. So I read one of his columns without realizing it was him and it wasn't half bad.

    I've now come to the conclusion that as a game reporter he's pretty good. It's when he gives his opinion that he shows his ignorance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •