Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 576 to 596 of 596

Thread: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

  1. #576
    Member solid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    south eastern Indiana
    Posts
    815
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    I never expected Young to be a savior. When we got him we still always needed another big. All he has to do to justify the trade is be a reasonable rotation player who can start some. It's hard to ask a lot more than that out of a pick at twenty. We also skipped right over paying him a few years to get up to speed. It's not like we were in the lottery.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:


  3. #577
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,041

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I loved the trade when it happened and to a point I still like it. As the season went on I became really disenchanted with Thad because he's just very small and does not grab tough rebounds like I like from our power forward. However a lot of that is because he is paired with Myles Turner who is also soft as a baby's *** and the combo just gets killed on the glass. If he were paired with Hassan Whiteside or someone like him I think I would be thrilled with him. But he and Turner as of now just aren't a great fit.

    Also at the end of the day I'm not sure if Thad overall is big enough to be a starting 4 in this league and be highly successful. He's physically shorter than Paul and bluntly he's stronger than Paul but I'm not sure by how much. He doesn't offer any rim protection but that is okay being paired with Myles. He is pretty good at closing out on the 3 point shot, so that is a bonus. He has had some spectacular success guarding Blake Griffin but has also been flatly abused by players like Carmello Anthony and other stronger 4's.

    If we could replace him at the 4 and have him be the first big off the bench I think it would be great. But I have a feeling that next season we will have the Thad and Myles show and we really need to hope that Myles progresses more than he did this year.


    I like Thad. He brings quickness and athleticism to the 4 position. Sure he's not an elite shooter or rebounder from his position but he gives teams trouble because of his speed and strength, quickness too. The thing is, we don't run a lot of offense through him. We should run more stuff through him.

  4. #578
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    31
    Posts
    30,312

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hindsight being 20/20, do some still feel this way?

    Legit question
    Yeah, mostly. Although Caris LeVert has actually looked really good since he got healthy.

    Thad overall has kinda let me down though.

  5. #579
    Member solid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    south eastern Indiana
    Posts
    815
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    We got the 18th this time. If Thad was a bad pick at 20 then it should be easy getting a better player than him this time around. Sign me up!

    I'll have a 6'10"+ rebounding post defender, who will make Thad a bench player.
    Or a 3&D wing who will make Thad clearly our worst starter.

    If we can't easily do that, then T Young was a good get.
    The only time I wouldn't make a trade like that is if we were a young team with lots of time to kill and there was a guy that looked like he likely will become one of our best players. That's not going to happen very often at 20.

  6. #580
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,070

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, mostly. Although Caris LeVert has actually looked really good since he got healthy.

    Thad overall has kinda let me down though.
    My thinking centers around the fact that adding Thad did nothing to the bottom line.

    The team finished with a worst record and is probably going to be swept. We could have netted the same results with a young prospect (Levert) and a different starting 4.

  7. #581
    Member solid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    south eastern Indiana
    Posts
    815
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    What starting 4 do you have in mind? How were we to get him?
    If we knew Al was going to be a bust we could have spent ten mil on someone but would he start? We still need a b/u center. And that's all hindsight and postulation. The fact is we got a guy who'll absolutely give us solid production for years when we badly needed it, instead of a crap shoot. We may have done better. Few deals are the absolute best you could have made. That's pretty far being a bad move. I thought it was a good, reasonable move. I still do.
    Last edited by solid; 04-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.

  8. #582
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,070

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    You can justify the move all you'd like, but he's still a non difference making piece on an average roster.

    I don't mind Thad the player. He's very very solid. But if you're trading picks (therefore prospects on extremely cheap contracts)for a vet, then that vet had better be a difference maker that's contributing to the win column.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 04-21-2017 at 10:15 AM.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  10. #583

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    I like Young. Maybe he shouldn't be starting but I think he is a good player. And seems low maintenance and a team player. Trade Jefferson and Ellis and let Young come off the bench next year.

  11. #584
    Member solid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    south eastern Indiana
    Posts
    815
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    You can't say he has not contributed to the win column. How'd we look when he sprained his wrist? The only thing good about keeping Levert is that we'd be sittin' on a sweet pick this year.

  12. #585
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,070

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    You're missing the point.

    Had the team kept the pick, they could have a cheap, young prospect on the books and used the money to acquire Thad on a FA. They would most likely still be in the same place they are currently, just with another prospect on the roster

  13. #586

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're missing the point.

    Had the team kept the pick, they could have a cheap, young prospect on the books and used the money to acquire Thad on a FA. They would most likely still be in the same place they are currently, just with another prospect on the roster
    And there's a LIST of players that were available that could be a key piece long term. The trade was made to win now. We didn't win now. I see that trade as a failure. Would much rather have about 10 players who we could've drafted over Thad

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:


  15. #587
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,041

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're missing the point.

    Had the team kept the pick, they could have a cheap, young prospect on the books and used the money to acquire Thad on a FA. They would most likely still be in the same place they are currently, just with another prospect on the roster
    Caris Levert was injured a bunch in college and is not nor was he ever projected to be a pure shooter. It was a good trade. If the Nets weren't the Nets he probably wouldn't have gotten any playing time this season.

  16. #588
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    798

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The trade was made to win now. We didn't win now.
    I think that says it about as clearly as it can be said.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:


  18. #589

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    There's a chance next season is Thad's last season in Indiana. Trading away a valuable draft pick where there was about 10+ guys that could have helped this year and more importantly helped here long term for the next 8+ years sucks. Also we'd have an extra $10 million in cap space had we not made the deal.

    I wasn't a huge fan of the deal on draft night....I figured it would help some but not a lot. But hate the move today.


    *DO NOT TRADE DRAFT PICKS! TRADE FOR DRAFT PICKS!*

  19. #590

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're missing the point.

    Had the team kept the pick, they could have a cheap, young prospect on the books and used the money to acquire Thad on a FA. They would most likely still be in the same place they are currently, just with another prospect on the roster
    Getting a guy like Thad to come here without trading for him isn't that easy. Also isn't Thad on the books another year yet? This comment can't be made unless this team fails next year, right?

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:


  21. #591
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,466

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Thad is fine and given that last year's draft class was weak, it looks like a good trade. While I don't think that him and Turner is a great frontcourt pairing complementary-wise, at worst, he's a great backup big to have coming off your bench.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  23. #592
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    44
    Posts
    31,955

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Thad. He brings quickness and athleticism to the 4 position. Sure he's not an elite shooter or rebounder from his position but he gives teams trouble because of his speed and strength, quickness too. The thing is, we don't run a lot of offense through him. We should run more stuff through him.
    Thad isn't a guy that you run the offense through...he's just not a Player you can create plays on his own...nor a capable shooter. He's just a clean up scorer that knows when to take his shot and when not to.....in other words...he knows his limitations. I look at Thad more as a 3rd/4th capable scorer.....a middle of the Road Starter that is better suited to come off the bench as the 1st Big that won't hurt nor harm you on either end of the floor that can do all the janitorial work on the floor that needs to be taken care of while letting the scorers do their thing.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  25. #593
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    44
    Posts
    31,955

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And there's a LIST of players that were available that could be a key piece long term. The trade was made to win now. We didn't win now. I see that trade as a failure. Would much rather have about 10 players who we could've drafted over Thad
    20/20 hindsight being clear....there are only about 2 ( maybe 3 ) Players that would have considered drafting at that spot ( Brogdon and McCaw )

    If one is to judge this trade as a loss based off of the assumption that he didn't help us get over the Championship hill when it comes to getting a Starting Quality PF that compliments Myles....then I can see your point.

    But if you are to judge this trade based off of getting a Player that can contribute as a low end Starter or ( preferably ) a high usage Bench Forward.....then I think we did fine. It's not a perfect trade....as there are a few Players I would have preferred to draft if Thad wasn't an option.....but I still think that getting a quality 4th to 7th rotational Player for a 1st round pick in a shallow draft pool that can contribute in a meaningful manner that is locked into a cheap 2 year deal ( in today's $$$ ) is a win-win.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  27. #594
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    798

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If one is to judge this trade as a loss based off of the assumption that he didn't help us get over the Championship hill when it comes to getting a Starting Quality PF that compliments Myles....then I can see your point.
    I think that is really the only point that matters. You can replace "over the Championship hill" with "good enough to have homecourt in the first round" and the point stands.

  28. #595
    Member Grimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,041

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thad isn't a guy that you run the offense through...he's just not a Player you can create plays on his own...nor a capable shooter. He's just a clean up scorer that knows when to take his shot and when not to.....in other words...he knows his limitations. I look at Thad more as a 3rd/4th capable scorer.....a middle of the Road Starter that is better suited to come off the bench as the 1st Big that won't hurt nor harm you on either end of the floor that can do all the janitorial work on the floor that needs to be taken care of while letting the scorers do their thing.


    I disagree. He hit 6 3-pointers in that game versus Portland because we put him in the spread offense. Also for all the people bashing Thad remember he wasn't Larry's first choice. Rudy Gay was the initial trade target. Sacramento wanted 2 1st round picks. Larry thought that was insane, so he went with plan B, Thad.

  29. #596

    Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

    It just depends what you're looking for. If you want to maximize your wins over the next 5 years, than the Young trade was probably a good one. It's hard to tell because the counterfactual is so murky (especially what the Pacers would have done with the extra cap space) but it seems logical.

    If you want to give yourself a reasonable chance of being in the top 5 teams in the league anytime soon, then it's a pretty bad trade. In football terms, trading for Thad is like facing 4th and 6 on the opponents 7 and kicking a field goal down 20 at the start of the 4th quarter. That probably gives you the best chance of losing by the least possible, but it decreases your chance of winning the game. Thad makes the Pacers better, but the trade caused the Pacers upside to be less (Thad's upside
    Last edited by Cubs231721; 04-21-2017 at 04:21 PM.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •