Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Trade 20th Pick for Thaddeus Young

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if this was mentioned, but Thaddeus Young was a heckuva a student in High School, graduating with a 4.3 GPA. Back in the day that wasn't even possible. Everything seems inflated these days...GPA's, NBA contracts, etc.
    I don't know if you have kids or not, but advance or honors classes get weighted by some determined amount so kids taking harder classes rank higher. Colleges want both the weighted and nonweighed scores.

I don't know what kind of hs prospect he was, but it seems that he was going to succeed whether he made it in basketball or not.
    Time for a new sig.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I answered it. Read again. Better yet, I'll post it again: He's simply a better option for this team right now than a rookie at pick #20 in a crappy draft.
    Hindsight being 20/20, do some still feel this way?

Legit question

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    I saw a bunch of complaints about rebounding and defense. Listening to 1070 and Wells and Brunner are saying he has spring and is solid at both. Sounds like they've talked to former teammates and coaches.
    Lol they lied

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I think the simple answer to this was the fact that he was one of the best players on those teams. He's just a piece to the puzzle here.

Thad Young is a role player. The role that he plays fills a gaping hole on the Pacers. As long as he's not counted on being one of the best 2 players on the team, he should be able to play his role and contribute.
    I actually liked this move initially. Surprise surprise

Lol they lied
    Thad isn't a solid defender? I wouldn't say he's a strong rebounder but really hard telling playing him with Myles.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually liked this move initially. Surprise surprise
    Thad has had a rough year with the injury that wouldn't go away. That said, the complete lack of physicality and toughness on this roster is a major issue, and if Thad or Myles could rebound at the pace you generally expect from your starting PF/C combo, I think we're a 50-win team and working on eliminating a team like Atlanta or Milwaukee.

Has anybody seen enough out of Caris LaVert (sp?) to compare what his value or potential might be? Or someone picked in that range that we might've selected had our pick not been traded and presumably dictated? I think Thad is a fine player, and next to a stronger C or on a better defensive unit, could contribute to a good team. Unfortunately, we don't have a smashmouth C or defensive-minded team, so Thad is part of the problem more than part of a solution.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

I like Thad quite a bit. Both as a player and person. He's been guarding the GOAT pretty well from my angle. I don't see King James switching onto Thad to take over. Anyway, he's probably a borderline starter. But he's better than some of the backups we parade out there and I'm not sure we could have picked a better asset at #20. Heck, we've picked in the teens and struck out before.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I liked the Thad move then, and I like it now. I think he is player that can help a championship team and he's cheap looking at contracts going forward.

And to put in perspective he is 28, two years younger than GHill.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Would still do the trade today, he has been good for us.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

I would do the deal again. There have been times throughout this past season that I have thought Thad is our second most important player. Perhaps that is an indictment of our team, but that is not an indictment of Thad. Not a coincidence in my mind that we lost 6 straight games when Thad first went out with wrist injury. Certainly a very tough schedule was a big factor, but Thad is important.

He's given the pacers just what I thought he would and he was shooting the three very well until his injury - wasn't he near 40% at the time.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    Thad isn't a solid defender? I wouldn't say he's a strong rebounder but really hard telling playing him with Myles.
    He's solid when guarding stretch 4s. But bigger players punish him inside.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Thad is a nice role Player. I just think his fit on the current roster is poor. Especially as a starter next to Myles.

Conversely, he would've been money for the team the two previous seasons. He needs to play next to larger, more physical rim protectors defensively.

If not, he's just small and adds to the issue of the team being consistently punished inside.

I think the teams fortunes would have been the same had we drafted Lavert and acquired a different starting PF

I thought this was a good move at the time and would do it again.

Thad is a good starting stretch 4, but he has to be in the right situation...he needs to be paired with a big, good rebounding, rim protecting Center. Unfortunately, we don't have that.

In my opinion, he would be a good player to trade this summer for a 3 and D wing or bigger frontline player.

I loved the trade when it happened and to a point I still like it. As the season went on I became really disenchanted with Thad because he's just very small and does not grab tough rebounds like I like from our power forward. However a lot of that is because he is paired with Myles Turner who is also soft as a baby's *** and the combo just gets killed on the glass. If he were paired with Hassan Whiteside or someone like him I think I would be thrilled with him. But he and Turner as of now just aren't a great fit.

Also at the end of the day I'm not sure if Thad overall is big enough to be a starting 4 in this league and be highly successful. He's physically shorter than Paul and bluntly he's stronger than Paul but I'm not sure by how much. He doesn't offer any rim protection but that is okay being paired with Myles. He is pretty good at closing out on the 3 point shot, so that is a bonus. He has had some spectacular success guarding Blake Griffin but has also been flatly abused by players like Carmello Anthony and other stronger 4's.

If we could replace him at the 4 and have him be the first big off the bench I think it would be great. But I have a feeling that next season we will have the Thad and Myles show and we really need to hope that Myles progresses more than he did this year.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog! Pacersalltheway10's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I loved the trade when it happened and to a point I still like it. As the season went on I became really disenchanted with Thad because he's just very small and does not grab tough rebounds like I like from our power forward. However a lot of that is because he is paired with Myles Turner who is also soft as a baby's *** and the combo just gets killed on the glass. If he were paired with Hassan Whiteside or someone like him I think I would be thrilled with him. But he and Turner as of now just aren't a great fit.

Also at the end of the day I'm not sure if Thad overall is big enough to be a starting 4 in this league and be highly successful. He's physically shorter than Paul and bluntly he's stronger than Paul but I'm not sure by how much. He doesn't offer any rim protection but that is okay being paired with Myles. He is pretty good at closing out on the 3 point shot, so that is a bonus. He has had some spectacular success guarding Blake Griffin but has also been flatly abused by players like Carmello Anthony and other stronger 4's.

If we could replace him at the 4 and have him be the first big off the bench I think it would be great. But I have a feeling that next season we will have the Thad and Myles show and we really need to hope that Myles progresses more than he did this year.
    I'd like to see him guard 3s more. I don't know how long he could last there but his lateral quickness is an underrated part of his game.

I've seen enough through the first two games, that I would have no problem if Thad guarded Lebron for more minutes tonight than PG. Thad defends him very well, almost as well as PG. Certainly better than anyone else on the Pacers.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-20-2017 at 02:39 PM.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    I'd like to see him guard 3s more. I don't know how long he could last there but his lateral quickness is an underrated part of his game.
    Who's guarding and rebounding vs the 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I've seen enough through the first two games, that I would have not problem is Thad guarded Lebron for more minutes tonight than PG. Thad defends him very well, almost as well as PG. Certainly better than anyone else on the Pacers.
    I think Pacers defense at least one-on-one is with George on Irving and Thad on LeBron. The problem is we don't have anyone who can guard Love in that instance (see Lance on Love).

However, maybe the Pacers should just bitten the bullet and placed Lance on Thompson or something? Yeah, we'd get killed on the glass, but we're already getting killed on the glass regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I think Pacers defense at least one-on-one is with George on Irving and Thad on LeBron. The problem is we don't have anyone who can guard Love in that instance (see Lance on Love).

However, maybe the Pacers should just bitten the bullet and placed Lance on Thompson or something? Yeah, we'd get killed on the glass, but we're already getting killed on the glass regardless.
    I don't believe the playoffs are a time to make big or even moderate changes. But defensively a lineup of Lance, PG, Thad and two bigs would be much better than what we have been doing against this Cavs team. But our offense would be a lot worse. Especially with Thad wrist still such that he is air-balling threes.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

There are maybe 3 ( at most ) Players that I would have considered drafting at the 20 spot that I would have preferred to draft ( with 20/20 hindsight ). But considering that Thad is already capable of contributing as a Starter...I'm fine with the Trade.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Who's guarding and rebounding vs the 4?
    Actually I think LaVoy may be our best option guarding Love. He won't be abused in the paint and he should be able to adequately keep up with him on the perimeter...of course we never know if we are going to get the "good" LaVoy or the "bad" LaVoy.

Mood

This discussion confirms what we've known all along. We still need another good big, and another good perimeter defender.
    I think Thad would be great in a three big rotation, if the third guy is longer and stronger.
    I'm happy with the trade.
    I'd try to keep him and add two guys in place of Al and Monta. If we trade him then we must get a good big before our next tip.

Thad is the right 4 for this team, bring Plumlee or ROLO and we are good.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog! Pacersalltheway10's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post

The Pacers have actually outrebounded the Cavs by 4 these past two games. More offensive rebounds as well.

Some Guy

Sports Logo

I don't understand people who are still happy with the trade, and to be honest I'm not even really sure I want to.

"Yea, sure we only won 41 games and are almost assuredly getting bounced in the first round, but at least we have this undersized pf who doesn't fit with our current and future center in anyway. You can't put a price on a 28 year old mismatch player who belongs comings off the bench, but if you could, it's certainly less than a first rounder because I don't really like my team to have too much potential at any given time, it's better to win now ya know? I mean 41 wins is pretty dope, right?"

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post: