Thread: I'm Bored - Spurs/Pacers swap?

Sports Logo

Default I'm Bored - Spurs/Pacers swap?

I'm going to combine 2 rumors from the Spurs and try to piece together some trade to meet the needs of those requirements. You can find them at http://hoopshype.com/team/san-antonio-spurs/

NOTE - this is based off of the assumption that no lottery Player drops and that we don't have another Kawhi type scenario on our hands.

Rumor 1 ) The Spurs are rumored to want to move up in the draft.

Alex Kennedy: The San Antonio Spurs have explored moving up in the first round of the draft, per sources. They currently have the No. 29 pick.
    Rumor 2 ) As part of their efforts to sign Conley, trade away part of their core to make room to make a run at Conley? ( I'm making an assumption here based off of what I am reading below )

The dark horse in the Conley race is the Spurs. More than a few league insiders have pegged the Spurs as having more than a passing interest in Conley as a free agent and, much like with Durant, they are prepared to break apart some of their core to lock in another high level player.
    My trade proposal:

Pacers trade - #20 + Stuckey or CJ ( in that order of preference to move )
    Spurs trade - #29 + Danny Green

Why for the Pacers?

TO BE CLEAR.....this assumes that there is no "no-brainer" that falls to #20 and that there is someone that we can target at the #29 spot that is as good. The Pacers can trade for a solid 3D Wing that is a smart, proven Wing with Championship experience that can come in and fill the role that we need to play alongside the likes of Monta, PG13 and GH. Dumping either Stuckey ( preferably ) or CJ would allow us to make a lateral move ( at worst ) to shift salary to a needed position that needs help at both ends of the floor. Last year, Green tapered off for some reason at a clip of 33% from the 3pt line....but in previous years, he has consistently shot over 40%. I don't know if he's been injured....but he's only 29 at the start of the 2016 regular season. We'd still have some Cap space to play with to make a run at a Near Max Player while filling a need.

Why for the Spurs?

They want to move up and to clear Cap space ( which I'm assuming to try to make a run at Conley ). Taking on Stuckey saves them about $3 mil in Cap space. If he is not palatable....taking on CJ saves them roughly $5.5 mil in Cap Space next year. Either way, they'd have to take on one of the two.

This isn't a glamorous trade....but it does help fill a need while still allow us to draft someone in the 1st round ( assuming that there isn't another Kawhi at the #20 spot )

Thoughts?
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-10-2016 at 02:46 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Default Re: I'm Bored - Spurs/Pacers swap?

I'd offer George Hill (or Ellis) + #20 + future 1st to SAS for K. Leonard to come back home!
    Last edited by Grimp; 06-11-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd offer George Hill (or Ellis) + #20 + future 1st to SAS for K. Leonard to come back home!
    San Antonio is Kawhi's home. He was a Pacer for less than 10 minutes.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

sav

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks CableKC, I'm bored too.

Hopefully in the next few days there will some rumors starting to flow.

No thanks to this deal. The Pacers have 3 1/2 spots to fill this summer. They need a starting PF, back up PF and back up Center. The 1/2 spot is to find a "true PG" if possible.

This trade does not solve any of those issues plus it cuts $3 million from the money we will have available to use on Free Agents.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the idea, I like Green and this would definitely be a huge defensive plus - whether it would be Stuckey or CJ or (best of all) Monta who would travel other way...

However, there are few caveats too...

1) The salary difference between CJ and Green is quite drastic. So that version does indeed cut to our flexibility.
    2) This trade would do nothing to clear out our logjam of 2-guards.
    3) I'm not sure whether I like Green as an offensive partner for PG13. The weakest part of Paul's game is his handle (turnovers) and putting a complete off-ball player to other wing is not even close to an ideal situation. Only way it wouldn't cause too many problems would be by also having a true "floor general" at point who would take on a big majority of ball-handling duties... ...and we don't have such a player as of now.

Fit notwithstanding I would do this as Monta + #20 for Green + #29, I would do it as Stuckey + #20 for Green + #29 - but for financial rasons I would not do CJ-version... Otoh, I would immediately agree to Cj + Lavoy + #20 for Green + #29. Getting rid of two worthless players instead of only one would make it agreeable.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Thanks CableKC, I'm bored too.

Hopefully in the next few days there will some rumors starting to flow.

No thanks to this deal. The Pacers have 3 1/2 spots to fill this summer. They need a starting PF, back up PF and back up Center. The 1/2 spot is to find a "true PG" if possible.

This trade does not solve any of those issues plus it cuts $3 million from the money we will have available to use on Free Agents.
    Upgrading one of the roster spots taken by either Stuckey or CJ Miles while getting a smart Plus Perimeter defender and 3pt shooter while eating up about $5+ mil in Cap space is worth it to me. I don't want dead salary cap space being eaten up by both of them......one of them? fine....both of them?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    I like the idea, I like Green and this would definitely be a huge defensive plus - whether it would be Stuckey or CJ or (best of all) Monta who would travel other way...

However, there are few caveats too...

1) The salary difference between CJ and Green is quite drastic. So that version does indeed cut to our flexibility.
    2) This trade would do nothing to clear out our logjam of 2-guards.
    3) I'm not sure whether I like Green as an offensive partner for PG13. The weakest part of Paul's game is his handle (turnovers) and putting a complete off-ball player to other wing is not even close to an ideal situation. Only way it wouldn't cause too many problems would be by also having a true "floor general" at point who would take on a big majority of ball-handling duties... ...and we don't have such a player as of now.

Fit notwithstanding I would do this as Monta + #20 for Green + #29, I would do it as Stuckey + #20 for Green + #29 - but for financial rasons I would not do CJ-version... Otoh, I would immediately agree to Cj + Lavoy + #20 for Green + #29. Getting rid of two worthless players instead of only one would make it agreeable.
    Given that we would still have PG13, Monta and GH; I'd think that we need complete off the ball 3D wing Players to fill the roster.

I consider CJ dead weight....I don't want to rely on him to be anything more than a 9th man in the rotation. The way I look at it....we essentially upgrade a key rotational Player at the cost of $5+ mil in Cap space.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Given that we would still have PG13, Monta and GH; I'd think that we need complete off the ball 3D wing Players to fill the roster.
    If we would acquire Danny Green, I would also see Monta dropping to random minutes on fringe of rotation... And a line-up of GHill-Green-PG13 + frontcourt is IMO VERY turnover-prone. There is one complete off-the-ball player and two mediocre-to-bad ballhandlers (for their respective positions).

This is my major gripe with an acquisition of Green (although there is also several major plusses)

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    If we would acquire Danny Green, I would also see Monta dropping to random minutes on fringe of rotation... And a line-up of GHill-Green-PG13 + frontcourt is IMO VERY turnover-prone. There is one complete off-the-ball player and two mediocre-to-bad ballhandlers (for their respective positions).

This is my major gripe with an acquisition of Green (although there is also several major plusses)
    Any Starting Guard that we pursue ( if we pursue one at all ) will end up doing pushing either of them to the bench. I am of the opinion that one of GH or Monta would have to go to the bench. My preference is to minimize the # of minutes that both of them play together.

Regardless, it behooves us to get 3D type Players that are smart and can play off the ball. Adding another ball dominant Player to the lineup won't work unless the intention is to push Monta to the 6th Man role while shifting GH to the Starting SG spot where he will play as much "off the ball" as he does "on the ball".